Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17743236 times)

Robert763, Vince, jemotrain, wolfy007 and 70 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100325 on: September 04, 2021, 04:48:42 pm »
Well too late ... so I now own 5x Tektronix 7000 plugins and a 150 quid dent in the credit card (risky business  :scared:)

So we have:

1x 7A15 single channel 80MHz vertical amp - broken volts/div knob. Will keep for spares...
1x 7M11 delay line plumbing. Will bounce..
1x 7A18 75MHz dual trace vertical amplifier - broken channel selector knob. Will keep for spares...
1x 7B50A 100MHz horizontal. Good condition. Will keep.

And the money shot.

1x 7CT1N curve tracer. Looks in good condition. No broken bits. It's not a 575 but it will fit in a 7603 or something that will fit in my house and it's mostly populated with repairable bits.

Now for a 7603...

Rabbit hole here we come.

How about this one?
Not a great photo, it's in my storage.

The one at the bottom looks much better for  CT plugin : has square corners and a larger CRT / viewing area.. ideal to display a set of curves for a transistor...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:52:33 pm by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100326 on: September 04, 2021, 04:55:44 pm »
I've been outbid, thank the stars!   :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144176574492

How can you possibly been outbid, it's presently at only 20 quid or so ?! :o

He's from the North, a species of Englishman that looks at Aberdonians* and sees spendthrifts. My father was from Consett, I got less pocket money than anyone else in my class. "Aye, but if I give 'im more 'e'll only spend it.".  :)

*The English in general regard the Scots as tight with money whereas they prefer to think of themselves as 'frugal'. The Scots while appreciating frugality think Aberdonians take this a bit too far and refer to Aberdonians as "Bloody tight wee bastards".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100327 on: September 04, 2021, 04:59:38 pm »
Well too late ... so I now own 5x Tektronix 7000 plugins and a 150 quid dent in the credit card (risky business  :scared:)

So we have:

1x 7A15 single channel 80MHz vertical amp - broken volts/div knob. Will keep for spares...
1x 7A18 75MHz dual trace vertical amplifier - broken channel selector knob. Will keep for spares...

And the money shot.

1x 7CT1N curve tracer. Looks in good condition. No broken bits. It's not a 575 but it will fit in a 7603 or something that will fit in my house and it's mostly populated with repairable bits.

Now for a 7603...

How about this one?

The one at the bottom looks much better for  CT plugin : has square corners and a larger CRT / viewing area.. ideal to display a set of curves for a transistor...

Yes the bottom one is the 7603. Don't think you would want storage for a CT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100328 on: September 04, 2021, 05:00:46 pm »
I still think it was a nice choice, especially after my Rode NT2-A.
That I need to fix.... fuuuuu

...and fixed. Audiophool grrr.....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #100329 on: September 04, 2021, 05:03:42 pm »

How can you possibly have been outbid, it's presently at only 20 quid or so ?! :o
And it's good specs and working !

Mostly working.

Kinda like it, though. None of this "menu" rubbish, just a button for everything.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100330 on: September 04, 2021, 05:04:28 pm »

Yes the bottom one is the 7603. Don't think you would want storage for a CT

Ops sorry, I don't know my 7000 scopes, don't have any, and to my defense your picture is so blurry that I could not even read the model number on the scopes !  ;D

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100331 on: September 04, 2021, 05:06:22 pm »

How can you possibly been outbid, it's presently at only 20 quid or so ?! :o

He's from the North, a species of Englishman that looks at Aberdonians* and sees spendthrifts. My father was from Consett, I got less pocket money than anyone else in my class. "Aye, but if I give 'im more 'e'll only spend it.".  :)

*The English in general regard the Scots as tight with money whereas they prefer to think of themselves as 'frugal'. The Scots while appreciating frugality think Aberdonians take this a bit too far and refer to Aberdonians as "Bloody tight wee bastards".

Ah OK I see !  Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind from now on ! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100332 on: September 04, 2021, 05:09:10 pm »

How can you possibly have been outbid, it's presently at only 20 quid or so ?! :o
And it's good specs and working !

Mostly working.

Kinda like it, though. None of this "menu" rubbish, just a button for everything.

Oh menus it DOES have of course !  :-DD

Just hit the "Menu" button right below the CRT bezel and off you go !

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #100333 on: September 04, 2021, 05:15:08 pm »

And this is a, it's a, erm, an errrr.... yeah

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334130159254

What an interesting and obscure bit of TE.     If it sits unsold long enough I may put in a low offer.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/f/f6/Tekscope_1978_V10_N1.pdf

Innit tho? I imagine if you want to make use of the graphical capabilities, lugging a terminal with integrated screen around impacts on "portability" somewhat...

Amusing to see some 7000 series plugins in the "New Products". section at the end of the PDF

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:17:04 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100334 on: September 04, 2021, 05:29:58 pm »
How about this one?

Oooh rather interested in that 7603. Will PM you  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100335 on: September 04, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »
Amusing to see some 7000 series plugins in the "New Products". section at the end of the PDF[/color][/size][/b]

To be fair, at the time £1 would get you four pints down my local, £20 was more than enough to pay a weeks rent in London, and the only words people associated with "Margaret Thatcher" were "milk snatcher". Which is a a very long winded way of saying "It was a long time ago".

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100336 on: September 04, 2021, 06:35:28 pm »
Had a TE delivery while I was out, here is a quick picture I took when I got back, as you can see it contains the latest in surface mount devices, on a double sided PCB.  :-DD Must have been done deliberately to include SMD in the brochure.  :-//

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #100337 on: September 04, 2021, 06:53:36 pm »
I made another collection of the wreckage of some guy's dreams to "get into electronics". A somewhat crusty Lambda LQD-421 DC power supply and some leftover parts, most notably a couple of possibly not fake Hakko tips and a couple dozen TO-220 transistors. The LQD-421 generally works fine, but is in need of calibration as it is 0.2V off here and there.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100338 on: September 04, 2021, 07:10:51 pm »
[..]  and a couple dozen TO-220 transistors.

Don't see any TO-220 in there, never mind a dozen of them, I want my money back !  :blah:   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100339 on: September 04, 2021, 07:11:58 pm »
It says a lot about Lambda build quality that someone has managed to bend over what looks like a 3 mm thick aluminium front panel on both the top corners and the thing is still working. That's either "Dropped onto concrete, twice" or "Hit with 4lb lump hammer, twice".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100340 on: September 04, 2021, 07:17:52 pm »
I made another collection of the wreckage of some guy's dreams to "get into electronics". A somewhat crusty Lambda LQD-421 DC power supply and some leftover parts, most notably a couple of possibly not fake Hakko tips and a couple dozen TO-220 transistors. The LQD-421 generally works fine, but is in need of calibration as it is 0.2V off here and there.

200mV might be in specification. No matter how good the meter is it can't be better than +_1 count of the last digit so thats 100mV for starters.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #100341 on: September 04, 2021, 07:24:53 pm »
I have not had the pleasure of sampling goat and not sure I want to.

It is fine, but doesn't taste like the apocryphal chicken. Chicken used to be a nice treat, but modern farming practices have changed that.

Goat has a good flavour, more like beef or venison, and since it isn't intensively farmed it needs appropriate cooking to ensure it isn't too tough.
Not necessarily.
In another life I had 100's of them and for a local goat people doo we put a good sized kid (young goat) on the rotisserie spit and served it up to them not telling what it was where most presumed it was good old spit roast lamb. It was a little more bland than lamb and beautifully tender however.....when the real goat lovers got the word it WAS goat some left the party in horror !  :-DD
Funny as hell it all was too as the old chap down the road where this doo was held was one of the most highly regarded in the local goat fraternity and no one was more in on the deceit than he was !  :-DD
Miss him heaps and named our youngest in his honor.  :'(

Must be a bit rough on a youngster going to school with a name like "Old Goaty".  :)
It's known as character building.  :P

Larry Minor has done quite well for himself despite being bullied at school and needing to be shown how to properly down the little turd with a single love tap and today he owns a fleet of contracting gear, small house, has a great chick for a partner and runs our farm with his own livestock.
Show them the drive, share some tools of life and just let them get on with it with a little nudge in the right direction if/when required.....says the proud dad on Fathers day.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100342 on: September 04, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »

OK now for some more TEA. Maybe the grey beard will have a clue and give me some info on this little gizmo I just did a quick tear down of for you people.

The guy I bought one of my two Metrix nixie counters (not the one picture earlier, another one with only 6 digits, 10Mhz not 160Mhz), also gave me this little artifact as a bonus. Said it was so crap he didn't even find it worth the effort putting it up for sale as for sure nobody would want it.

I always wondered what it was for !  Seller had no clue either !

Looks old, looks military looking maybe... it's tiny, fits in the hand !

If I believe the scale on the galvanometer, it's an ohm-meter, with two ranges. There as switch on the side of the case to let you select that.
Also on the side there is a handle that you can crank to energize it.

So far so good, looks like your typical ancient mega-ohmmeter to measure earth resistance.

Problem is... the scale should read in the tens of Mohms..... whereas here, it's the opposite : it measures very LOW values : one scale for 0 - 50 ohms, other scale is 0 - 150 ohms !!!

I have a pair of slightly different ohmmeters with a single scale of 0 to 300Ω, made by Davis Of Derby, they are battery powered and were certified by the Ministry of Fuel & Power.
They were used for testing circuits of detonators prior to firing.
Some info here on mine https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69445

Edit: one or both of these might actually have been the first TE I ever acquired, always thought it was the Windsor (Taylor) 45B signal generator, but your post reminded me of these two meters.

David
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:29:32 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100343 on: September 04, 2021, 08:41:57 pm »

OK now for some more TEA. Maybe the grey beard will have a clue and give me some info on this little gizmo I just did a quick tear down of for you people.

The guy I bought one of my two Metrix nixie counters (not the one picture earlier, another one with only 6 digits, 10Mhz not 160Mhz), also gave me this little artifact as a bonus. Said it was so crap he didn't even find it worth the effort putting it up for sale as for sure nobody would want it.

I always wondered what it was for !  Seller had no clue either !

Looks old, looks military looking maybe... it's tiny, fits in the hand !

If I believe the scale on the galvanometer, it's an ohm-meter, with two ranges. There as switch on the side of the case to let you select that.
Also on the side there is a handle that you can crank to energize it.

So far so good, looks like your typical ancient mega-ohmmeter to measure earth resistance.

Problem is... the scale should read in the tens of Mohms..... whereas here, it's the opposite : it measures very LOW values : one scale for 0 - 50 ohms, other scale is 0 - 150 ohms !!!

I have a pair of slightly different ohmmeters with a single scale of 0 to 300Ω, made by Davis Of Derby, they are battery powered and were certified by the Ministry of Fuel & Power.
They were used for testing circuits of detonators prior to firing.
Some info here on mine https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69445

Edit: one or both of these might actually have been the first TE I ever acquired, always thought it was the Windsor (Taylor) 45B signal generator, but your post reminded me of these two meters.

David

Fairey in the UK made a safety ohmmeter for the UK MOD, These are obsolete and now seen on ebay.
http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/fairey.html
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fairey-Safety-Ohmmeter-Mk-6-Type-CP-55-6625-99-901-8429-/324558149757
They have a design feature that was supposed to improve safety, but did not account for practicalities or human factors. It used a mercury cell with built safety current limiting resistors. This was so even if you connected the cell to a sensitive detonator it would not activate. Or maybe so a meter fault coould not do it. Sounds good, but it's a special cell and what happened was when a replacement cell was not available operators bodged in a standard alkaline cell. This caused enough current to operate a sesitive detonator.
They should have included current limiting in the meter as well.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100344 on: September 04, 2021, 08:48:49 pm »
I had to briefly look in on Discord to check that Anders is actually alive - he missed his usual 9PM Saturday post!  :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100345 on: September 04, 2021, 11:19:48 pm »

So we have:

And the money shot.

Now for a 7603...

Well that didn't last very long did, what am I referring to? I think you said earlier today, Tektronix can go fuck themselves or something similar, that what.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100346 on: September 04, 2021, 11:20:37 pm »
I had to briefly look in on Discord to check that Anders is actually alive - he missed his usual 9PM Saturday post!  :)
And, is he???
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100347 on: September 04, 2021, 11:22:24 pm »
And, is he???

Yes, for some value of "alive".

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100348 on: September 05, 2021, 01:10:42 am »
I do not need them now, but I know I will need it in the next 6 months or so --> cheap slow boat from china enabler.

but I can't find a cobal HSS drill set in imperial/inch in aliexpress.  :-DD

EDIT: Besos fixed it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:31:58 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100349 on: September 05, 2021, 01:30:10 am »
Oklay guys... this is it. The truck is reserved for Sunday/Monday, and we're packing down the big stuff (like the PCs and the desks they're on) now. I'll be on my tablet until we're actually moved into the new house. :o

*wibble*

mnem
*presses button* ROWWRRR-Rowwwrrr-rowwwwrrrr-rowwwrrrr-rowwrr...

Good luck. May the force be with you and Murphy somewhere further South  :-DD

Thanks. I just pulled out the laptop to peek in before I toddle off to ded; fuck that cracked screen I want a gawddamn keyboard & mouse. I've been dismantling stuff all day and pretty well knackered; but not too far behind "optimal" on my schedule, so time to rest up for the back-breaking tomorrow.

mnem
 :phew:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf