Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16510130 times)

Andrew_Debbie, Robert763 and 35 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #99925 on: September 02, 2021, 06:01:33 am »
Some Sacrificial Probes for my new high power signal generator >:D There will be gratuitous Tungsten stickage and conversion into random chicken scratchings when I get some time to play with the new toy along with a pic or two for the amusement of those viewing when I find a few hours to open the boxes and play |O

The use of the 'Skill' suffix in the branding should also in no way infer the user of same has any Skill whatsoever so I call marketing in advance :bullshit:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99926 on: September 02, 2021, 07:50:23 am »
Hopefully your results are better than this.  :-DD

Been raining all night. If it continues much longer may have to build an ark. Lots of "public service" calls to fire departments to pump out flooded basements. Ground is so saturated that trees are coming down with least amount of wind.

As I was typing this lost power for about 5 seconds then came back on. Now just heard a fire call for a pole transformer fire about 1.5 miles away. Tree must have come down on the lines but luckily the rest of the circuit cleared it self after a local line fuse blew.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99927 on: September 02, 2021, 07:55:33 am »
I knew someone who wanted to be a welting “artist” in the 90s (about ten years after it was fashionable). Everything she did looked like that. No idea what happened to her but I get the feeling she says “would you like fries with that” a lot now.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #99928 on: September 02, 2021, 07:59:53 am »
Hopefully your results are better than this.  :-DD

Been raining all night. If it continues much longer may have to build an ark. Lots of "public service" calls to fire departments to pump out flooded basements. Ground is so saturated that trees are coming down with least amount of wind.

As I was typing this lost power for about 5 seconds then came back on. Now just heard a fire call for a pole transformer fire about 1.5 miles away. Tree must have come down on the lines but luckily the rest of the circuit cleared it self after a local line fuse blew.

The level of wrongness there is staggering, I could do better than that fusion/gas welding in secondary school and even my ancient scratch start TIG skills were never never that bad :-DD

Sounds like Ida is enjoying her cruise up the East Coast, head for the hills :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99929 on: September 02, 2021, 08:01:49 am »
Also, was notified by my cell provider that I have to ditch my Nokia 925 because after February 2022 3G will no longer be supported. Been looking over their offerings for replacements and it will definitely be an android phone. The prices for IPhones are just plain ridiculous. Proves the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". I'll never own an Apple product anyway so it's a moot point.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99930 on: September 02, 2021, 08:12:07 am »
Nokia 2720  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #99931 on: September 02, 2021, 08:19:49 am »
Oh that’s so going on eBay this weekend  :palm:  :--

DPO is minimum requirement for anything on the market these days IMHO

Doesn't it have a peak detect mode for that sort of thing?

It does. Peak detect and averaging (4-128 averages).

You defintitely don't want averaging in cases like this, since the average will be (close to) zero. That's the problem with the old CCD-based digitisers, which cannot have peak detect.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99932 on: September 02, 2021, 08:21:43 am »
Run like crazy, its a bloody flip phone  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99933 on: September 02, 2021, 08:47:19 am »
Also, was notified by my cell provider that I have to ditch my Nokia 925 because after February 2022 3G will no longer be supported. Been looking over their offerings for replacements and it will definitely be an android phone. The prices for IPhones are just plain ridiculous. Proves the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". I'll never own an Apple product anyway so it's a moot point.  ::)

I just bought myself a OnePlus 9 phone. Probably more than you'll want to pay for a phone, but I'm highly impressed with it so far and they have quite a few lower cost Android phones that might match your intended budget.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99934 on: September 02, 2021, 09:03:49 am »
If you’re going to go android make sure you cover two concerns:

1. It supports stock android without any vendor specific shit.
2. It’s supported by one of the open source android derivatives so when the vendor abandons you after 8 minutes, you’re not up shit creek.

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99935 on: September 02, 2021, 09:10:37 am »

I have a Pixel 4A.  Best phone I've ever owned.

I strongly recommend either a Google branded phone a phone that is part of the Android One program.  Google and Android One phones get stock Android and at least three years of regular security patches. 

If you are on a budget, look at Nokia 2.4 or 3.4.     Mid Range - Pixel 4A.    The 4A may be coming towards end of life.  I'm seeing discounts.    4A with 5G (which is a different phone than the 4A) is about to be replaced by the 5A.     

There is a Pixel 6 on the way, but it is rumoured to be approaching Apple money.

I alway buy an unlocked phone and then get a sim only plan.  It is much less expensive. Pricing is very different in the UK than it is in the US.  I pay £10 a month here. T-Mobile USA prepaid were $40-$50.      However there are starting to be some decent SIM only plans in the US.  T-Mobile have a $25/month plan now and I just bought a $19/month Red Pocket SIM for our upcoming visit. 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:16:38 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99936 on: September 02, 2021, 09:16:58 am »
Run like crazy, its a bloody flip phone  :scared:

I'll put my cheap flip phone in my trouser pocket with my 15 keys (three houses, cars, bike) and then run.

Would you do that with your expensive computer (with attached phone)?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:19:15 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99937 on: September 02, 2021, 09:26:55 am »
I'll never own an Apple product anyway so it's a moot point.  ::)

Apple phone prices are absurd.    £1000???  For a cell phone?   :-DD

They used to make fantastic hardware.  I use 12+ year old Apple computers daily at work.   I've got three Apple PCs on my desk.  One is running Ubuntu Server, another Ubuntu desktop and the one I'm typing this into is running MacOS.   

I have an AppleTV at home that I am quite mixed on.  I like the UI, but the darn thing is buggy. 

Their new M1 chip looks very promising.   The new M1 iMac is ugly in photos, but I may change my mind if/when I can see one in person. 

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99938 on: September 02, 2021, 09:36:09 am »
I'll never own an Apple product anyway so it's a moot point.  ::)

Apple phone prices are absurd.    £1000???  For a cell phone?   :-DD

It isn't a phone. It is a computer, fashion statement, surveillance device, status symbol and lifestyle (with a phone buried somewhere in there).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99939 on: September 02, 2021, 09:38:16 am »
Leaning towards this. Nokia C5 Endi. My Nokia 925 lasted nearly 8 years with no issues, even has original battery. Only $80 USD plus their stupid $35 "activation" (Bend over, here it comes) fee. My needs are modest and I think it will be more than adequate,

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99940 on: September 02, 2021, 09:49:53 am »
When people complain about the price you should look at the value you derive versus the ownership price.

Cost £1000 (that includes “being an idiot insurance” for 24 months). Get £400 back after two years. So total spend is £600. That works out at £25 a month over 2 years. Which isn’t a lot of money really considering the shite we all buy off eBay on a regular basis for more  :-DD. Realistically the average salary in the UK percentage of that is about 1.2%. Most people spend more on TV subs and alcohol.

For that you get a pocket supercomputer, decent camera, navigation device, music player, multi mode communication device, email client, eBay hawking device, calendar, alarm clock, contact manager and payment device. The phone bit isn’t that important these days.

Total bargain.

The only bad bit is the pocket Stasi.  >:(. But quite frankly Apple are still the least bad at that sort of stuff.

I wouldn’t buy a bottom end handset myself. I have been there. There is only pain.

Edit: wrote this post on mine while taking a shit between meetings. See look at that value!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:55:39 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99941 on: September 02, 2021, 09:53:46 am »
Leaning towards this. Nokia C5 Endi. My Nokia 925 lasted nearly 8 years with no issues, even has original battery. Only $80 USD plus their stupid $35 "activation" (Bend over, here it comes) fee. My needs are modest and I think it will be more than adequate,

If it’s like the Nokia 5 my daughter had it’ll be garbage. The first one didn’t work when it turned up. The second one lasted about 7 months. I gave her my old 6s in the end. I still have that after 6 years and it still looks new and is still supported by Apple!  She has an iPhone SE now.

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99942 on: September 02, 2021, 09:58:17 am »
Had to Google that one.   Looks to be a locked phone only for AT&T network...

Should be fine if you don't mind playing the locked phone game, with contracts and activation fees. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99943 on: September 02, 2021, 10:01:19 am »
Yeah don’t ever play that game.

If you’re in the UK buy the phones direct from giffgaff or Apple without contract and get a pay as you go or capped monthly contract.

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99944 on: September 02, 2021, 10:02:00 am »

It isn't a phone. It is a computer, fashion statement, surveillance device, status symbol and lifestyle (with a phone buried somewhere in there).

I like the German borrowed word   "Handy"  -- It describes the thing so much better than "Phone" "Cell"  or "Mobile"

iPhone 12 is still too expensive, even if I call it a Handy.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99945 on: September 02, 2021, 10:03:10 am »
Had to Google that one.   Looks to be a locked phone only for AT&T network...

Should be fine if you don't mind playing the locked phone game, with contracts and activation fees.

My cell provider is Cricket, which uses the AT&T network. Been quite happy with them. And half the cost of AT&T (Used to have them).

And there's no contract.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99946 on: September 02, 2021, 10:07:11 am »
When people complain about the price you should look at the value you derive versus the ownership price.

Cost £1000 (that includes “being an idiot insurance” for 24 months). Get £400 back after two years. So total spend is £600. That works out at £25 a month over 2 years. Which isn’t a lot of money really considering the shite we all buy off eBay on a regular basis for more  :-DD. Realistically the average salary in the UK percentage of that is about 1.2%. Most people spend more on TV subs and alcohol.

For that you get a pocket supercomputer, decent camera, navigation device, music player, multi mode communication device, email client, eBay hawking device, calendar, alarm clock, contact manager and payment device. The phone bit isn’t that important these days.

Total bargain.

The only bad bit is the pocket Stasi.  >:(. But quite frankly Apple are still the least bad at that sort of stuff.

I wouldn’t buy a bottom end handset myself. I have been there. There is only pain.

Edit: wrote this post on mine while taking a shit between meetings. See look at that value!

The value of my Nokia 925? Cost $400 new. Had it 8 years. Never an issue. Spread that out and it cost me $4/month.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #99947 on: September 02, 2021, 10:10:25 am »

Look out for a good camera which can handle makros.  :) :popcorn:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99948 on: September 02, 2021, 10:11:27 am »
Yeah don’t ever play that game.

If you’re in the UK buy the phones direct from giffgaff or Apple without contract and get a pay as you go or capped monthly contract.

Or Google or Amazon or Argos.    Google are discounting the Pixel 4A  (£279) at the moment.     

I'm on a £10 / month  pay monthly SIM from giffgaff.   (no contracts, no exit fees, no activation fees...)

In the US, T-Mobile have a $27.50 /month  unlimited plan  but you have to be over 55 years old and that is based on 2 lines.   

RedPocket have a $20/month 3GB plan and a  $30/month 10GB plan.  There is also a $10 plan with limited talk and data.    Target was selling 1/2 price Red Pocket plans but I can't find that now.

I just looked at all of this because we are going to the US soon and needed SIM cards for our unlocked phones.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:16:26 am by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, duckduck

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99949 on: September 02, 2021, 10:12:29 am »

I like the German borrowed word   "Handy"  -- It describes the thing so much better than "Phone" "Cell"  or "Mobile"

iPhone 12 is still too expensive, even if I call it a Handy.

I don't think the Germans were the first to "borrow" that word to describe a mobile phone. I heard people calling them "Handy's" in Hungary long before the word ever caught on in Germany.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf