Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16943057 times)

dxl, aeug and 163 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #99425 on: August 28, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »
No-one else coming to Discord tonight then?   :-//
Nope, sorry no discord for me tonight, have an urgent issue here which has taken priority, suffice to say as someone else had started a thread about bloody HR dept's, well an HR problem has arisen for my youngest, and we have been trying to assist.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:19:41 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99426 on: August 28, 2021, 11:17:39 pm »
Grumble grumble Bloody PC started the day doing boot loops then locking into some fault mode where only a mains repower recovers it.  :rant:
Another PSU installed and similar results.  >:( Might have to let the moths out of the wallet.  :-DD
Reseat the RAM/cards/cables,  try another OS drive, rollback any recent Windoze updates if that works. You know this dance. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to look for some calories as still triple digits for the day*
Surely you have a copy of the original OS if you need to restore it, and you have other backups of the data / other programs so its not a complete loss if you have to do a complete reinstall  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #99427 on: August 28, 2021, 11:18:47 pm »

Did the same thing with the last piece of Samsung I ever bought; a color LASER printer off the 2nd floor balcony onto the driveway. Have never looked back.

Amusingly, I have oodles of Samsung right now, including the big TV in the LR. Every bit of it was curb-score, as I refuse to spend a penny on any of their consumer goods ever again.  :-DD

mnem
Gravity always wins.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:36:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99428 on: August 28, 2021, 11:25:03 pm »
Grumble grumble Bloody PC started the day doing boot loops then locking into some fault mode where only a mains repower recovers it.  :rant:
Another PSU installed and similar results.  >:( Might have to let the moths out of the wallet.  :-DD
Reseat the RAM/cards/cables,  try another OS drive, rollback any recent Windoze updates if that works. You know this dance. ;)

mnem
Surely you have a copy of the original OS if you need to restore it, and you have other backups of the data / other programs so its not a complete loss if you have to do a complete reinstall  :-//

Yeah, that's why I recommend trying another OS drive first... it is so easy to royally bork Windoze anymore, better to try a fresh install on another HDD (you don't even need to have product key for testing) before you go "pulling at loose threads" nowadays.

If you confirm that the problem is NOT hardware, then you can try to fix your original install of Windoze. If it is hardware, resolve that and you may not lose your working environment.

mnem
Discretion is the better part of Valory. Her other parts aren't too bad either. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #99429 on: August 29, 2021, 12:47:03 am »
The land rover version is a cross between vogon poetry about Lucas electrics set to the screeching sound from the set of wheel bearings which had disintegrated for the fourth time in a year interspersed with gargling from the driver receiving a waterboarding from the roof.

There was a reason mine spent a lot of its life sans roof. If it rained only then did you get wet unlike with the roof on when it rained whenever it wanted to.

Never melted a set of brakes but I did have the fairey overdrive destruct along with taking out the final drive gear portion of the gearbox at 100'ish. Lucky the shrapnel went down and not through the Aluminum tunnel into my legs and nether regions  :o
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #99430 on: August 29, 2021, 12:53:26 am »
Reseat the RAM/cards/cables, try another OS drive, rollback any recent Windoze updates if that works. You know this dance. ;)

mnem
Reseated everything except CPU and it stays up for a bit then same ol same ol !  ::)
Interesting developments after swapping RAM around so stuffed some from an old build.
 :popcorn:
Gskill might yet be proven to be Gstuffed.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99431 on: August 29, 2021, 03:45:51 am »
Time for some MemTest burn-in.

mnem
not mnemTest... that's something else altogether. >:D

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #99432 on: August 29, 2021, 05:24:07 am »
Hatfield was a big industrial town that housed British Aerospace. Which shut down in 1993. Everyone in the town worked there so the whole place went into a poverty stricken nightmare for about 20 years. The outcome of this was some particularly nasty bits.

Wow, thanks for the info ! How come I missed that ?!  :o  Can't remember anyone mentioned this site, ever ! It closed 5 years prior to my arrival, so I guess locals had already moved on and nobody was talking about it any more...
Funny how I lived next to that site without even knowing and 10 years later I would retrain in aviation ! It was destiny ?!  :-//

Well your Uni stands on the old airfield that used to be British Aeropace, hence why the roads on that large industrial and retail estate have aircraft names and of the famous Comet Hotel by the roundabout that has a model of The Comet racing plane on a pole outside. This plane was actually built there in 1934 and some photos of this plane, taken by my son, at Shuttleworth, which is where it is now kept, adorn many of the walls in the Comet Hotel and might even be used on place mats in the dining room.

Edit You might find this site interesting http://www.hatfield-herts.co.uk/history.html

Very interesting, that history.  deHavilland aircraft are also very closely tied in to that history.  Hmmm, must be more to Vince's aviation relationship than first thought?
Although no longer at that location, those deHavilland aircraft designs and the company name both still exist.
The deHavilland aircraft designs from those past times in Hatfield are now owned by Viking Aircraft on the west coast of the Great White North.  Actually, I think Viking holds all the out-of-production designs of deHavilland now.
@Spec, does your son have photos of deHavillands as well by any chance?

The story continues a bit more.  The owners of Viking also acquired a few years back all the in current production deHavilland designs along with the deHavilland name.
For now, deHavilland Canada is in the Toronto area, but need to move to a new location.

Hmmm, the situation of needing to move location is almost the same scenario of when AlliedSignal and Bendix had to move away from being co-located with another Toronto airport....  and we have successfully gone recursive back to Robert's APU.

EDIT:  Not bad ... I am only 10 pages behind in this thread  :-//
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:25:47 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #99433 on: August 29, 2021, 05:44:17 am »

Quote from: Robert763
my Lotus Elite having even more Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious  than normal.

Oh, a Lotus man ?!
Actually other than the early '90's Renaults, my other passion is the Lotus Esprit. Moving to the UK for 3 years definitely fueled the fire as I was able to see them in real life and get some rides with coal owners met on the Yahoo group/ mailing list back then. When I moved for a year to Saint-Ives / Cambridgeshire to do my industrial placement, I was not that far from the Lots factory, so I would sometimes drive there in the middle of the night on a saturday. I would visit the local dealership in Cambridge, and he would arrange a visit of the factory !  Guy was cool. said I was too big to fit in an Esprit, which was correct and he would tel me "You are French why don't you go after an Alpine instead ?!". Replied to hell with that Alpine junk, it's a POS and looks ugly ! I had only eyes for the beautiful Azure Blue / Magnolia Esprit S4s he had in his showroom !   8)
20 years later still very much in love with them. modern cars ha ve not put a dent in my love for them, just the other wayt around. The crappiest anbd ugliest the modern cars become, the more and more I appreciate the older early '90's cars !

I never knew about Lotus cars until doing a contract with Honeywell / AlliedSignal Aerospace, right around the time when Honeywell took over.
One of the full-time guys had a yellow Europa; very rare for any Lotus to be seen in the GWN.
Since becoming aware of Lotus, I have been drooling over photos of the Exige.  I have never seen it in real life.
About the only way to get a Lotus into Canada is ordering the parts kit and building a Caterham 7; even then it is not quite a real Lotus.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #99434 on: August 29, 2021, 05:58:50 am »

If you confirm that the problem is NOT hardware, then you can try to fix your original install of Windoze. If it is hardware, resolve that and you may not lose your working environment.

Having the working environment depending on any specific piece of hardware is a violation of the "Always have an exit plan" philosophy.

My frustration with the braindead 90s design ideas of home directories in Windows NT is due to me wanting the account-specific data to be accessible from any computer, not depend on any specific workstation.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #99435 on: August 29, 2021, 06:56:03 am »
https://wellenkino.de/hp/5253b.mp4

this  :)

Martin - sorry for taking so long; was busy today.  I took a quick video of the reduction gears in my plug-in:

They appear to run on what I'm guessing is a spacer held in place by the Pozidriv screw threaded into the faceplate of the cavity.  In your video, that screw seems to be moving as you poke at the gears.  Is it possible that the problem is as simple as that screw is loose?  I'd try grabbing the head with a pair of needlenose pliers to try and tighten it - see if that helps.  It looks like a PITA to get that face off without buggering everything up, but if snugging that screw up helps, it might be necessary to remove the front panel to properly tighten it.

Good luck with it!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99436 on: August 29, 2021, 07:08:44 am »

Martin - sorry for taking so long; was busy today.  I took a quick video of the reduction gears in my plug-in:

They appear to run on what I'm guessing is a spacer held in place by the Pozidriv screw threaded into the faceplate of the cavity.  In your video, that screw seems to be moving as you poke at the gears.  Is it possible that the problem is as simple as that screw is loose?  I'd try grabbing the head with a pair of needlenose pliers to try and tighten it - see if that helps.  It looks like a PITA to get that face off without buggering everything up, but if snugging that screw up helps, it might be necessary to remove the front panel to properly tighten it.

Good luck with it!

-Pat

Something like this will allow you to get in there and tighten it.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99437 on: August 29, 2021, 07:13:27 am »

Oh, a Lotus man ?!
Actually other than the early '90's Renaults, my other passion is the Lotus Esprit. Moving to the UK for 3 years definitely fueled the fire as I was able to see them in real life and get some rides with coal owners met on the Yahoo group/ mailing list back then. When I moved for a year to Saint-Ives / Cambridgeshire to do my industrial placement, I was not that far from the Lots factory, so I would sometimes drive there in the middle of the night on a saturday. I would visit the local dealership in Cambridge, and he would arrange a visit of the factory !  Guy was cool. said I was too big to fit in an Esprit, which was correct and he would tel me "You are French why don't you go after an Alpine instead ?!". Replied to hell with that Alpine junk, it's a POS and looks ugly ! I had only eyes for the beautiful Azure Blue / Magnolia Esprit S4s he had in his showroom !   8)
20 years later still very much in love with them. modern cars ha ve not put a dent in my love for them, just the other wayt around. The crappiest anbd ugliest the modern cars become, the more and more I appreciate the older early '90's cars !

I never knew about Lotus cars until doing a contract with Honeywell / AlliedSignal Aerospace, right around the time when Honeywell took over.
One of the full-time guys had a yellow Europa; very rare for any Lotus to be seen in the GWN.
Since becoming aware of Lotus, I have been drooling over photos of the Exige.  I have never seen it in real life.
About the only way to get a Lotus into Canada is ordering the parts kit and building a Caterham 7; even then it is not quite a real Lotus.

The Elise is certainly a street-legal go-kart.  That said, there's no way I know of to enter or exit it gracefully, and it's not much good for transporting boat anchors.  Great fun to drive, though.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al, duckduck, tonyalbus

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99438 on: August 29, 2021, 07:26:05 am »

Oh, a Lotus man ?!

The Elise is certainly a street-legal go-kart.  That said, there's no way I know of to enter or exit it gracefully, and it's not much good for transporting boat anchors.  Great fun to drive, though.

-Pat

There's a red one running around these parts and I've seen it up close. Cool little pocket rocket.  :-+

Pat, is there still a Lotus dealer in CT?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99439 on: August 29, 2021, 07:29:43 am »

Good luck with it!

-Pat

Something like this will allow you to get in there and tighten it.

Unfortunately I don't have my Chapman set handy, but I think even it would be pretty tight.  Tough to get in and measure, but a bottle cap hits the retaining washers, so I'd call it about 22-23mm or about 7/8", and a straight in approach is partially blocked by a cross bar at the front.

Blurry iPhone pic taken through the port on the side of the front panel:

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99440 on: August 29, 2021, 07:34:55 am »

-Pat

There's a red one running around these parts and I've seen it up close. Cool little pocket rocket.  :-+

Pat, is there still a Lotus dealer in CT?

There USED to be one right here in Watertown, but they dropped the line years ago.  Just looked it up; apparently the closest one is over in New London, in the southeast corner of the state.

-Pat

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99441 on: August 29, 2021, 07:41:23 am »

Oh, a Lotus man ?!

Arguably the Caterham 7 is the most Lotus of any still available; Colin Chapman was a pioneer of performance through weight reduction, and the 7 weighs in at a little over half a ton, making it lighter even than a Mk1 Elise, and probably half the weight of current Lotus offerings.

They bought the design rights to the 7 in the early 1970s and have evolved the design without losing the original looks or light-weight philosophy. The one with a GSX-R engine is going to be terrifyingly fast round a track.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99442 on: August 29, 2021, 07:45:24 am »
And Mike, that's a nice Chapman set with way more bits than mine - I still have the one I used when I worked at National Semi back in the mid-late 80s.  Doesn't look like mine still exists on their site - it had the two sizes of flat and Phillips bits, Allens from .050 to 5/16", 1/4" square drive adapter, screwdriver handle, extension and ratchet.  VERY handy little kits - used it constantly at National!

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99443 on: August 29, 2021, 07:57:04 am »

Arguably the Caterham 7 is the most Lotus of any still available; Colin Chapman was a pioneer of performance through weight reduction, and the 7 weighs in at a little over half a ton, making it lighter even than a Mk1 Elise, and probably half the weight of current Lotus offerings.

They bought the design rights to the 7 in the early 1970s and have evolved the design without losing the original looks or light-weight philosophy. The one with a GSX-R engine is going to be terrifyingly fast round a track.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Colin Chapman said something along the lines of "A car needs to do three things - accelerate, stop, and change direction.  Adding horsepower helps one.  Making it lighter helps all three."  The '05 Elise has a curb weight of 1975 lbs/896 kg.  The brakes will about rip your eyeballs out - a friend of mine drove it and commented "When you step on the brake pedal, it's like the hand of God reaches down and grabs the car!"

The 7 must REALLY be a blast to drive!

-Pat

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99444 on: August 29, 2021, 08:10:52 am »
I saw someone in a 7 on the M25 on Friday. Stuck in traffic. Looked like something you don’t want to be on the M25 in traffic  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99445 on: August 29, 2021, 08:23:11 am »
A motorway is the wrong place to be driving any sports car. You need B-roads or a track.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99446 on: August 29, 2021, 08:27:28 am »
I saw someone in a 7 on the M25 on Friday. Stuck in traffic. Looked like something you don’t want to be on the M25 in traffic  :-DD

Same with an Elise over here. It even makes my Civic look big.  ;D

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99447 on: August 29, 2021, 08:37:28 am »
I was an old Lotus owner. S1 elan, 501 Elite and Lotus engined Jensen-Healy.
Started building a Robin Hood stainless steel "seven" but a few things delayed the buil and the new SVA regulations ment it would need too much work to get it legal so I passed it on.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99448 on: August 29, 2021, 08:42:13 am »
A motorway is the wrong place to be driving any sports car. You need B-roads or a track.

I think he was trying to get to one or the other.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99449 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:18 am »

Same with an Elise over here. It even makes my Civic look big.  ;D

The crazy thing is that the Ford GT-40 makes the Elise look tall!  Saw both when visiting Hillbank Motorsports in Irvine, CA a few years ago with a coworker who wanted to drool on Cobras.  They had a GT-40 (gorgeous car!!) parked near an Elise; IIRC the roof of the  GT-40 was about 5" lower than  that of the Elise which is already not much more than waist high.

-Pat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf