Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16943151 times)

dxl, aeug and 160 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #99400 on: August 28, 2021, 05:28:08 pm »
I spent the afternoon over at North Weald Airfield and just after I parked up at the side of a taxiway this came and parked next to me. I have since discovered that this is kept at a large house not to far away from me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, cyclin_al

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99401 on: August 28, 2021, 05:43:28 pm »
I spent the afternoon over at North Weald Airfield and just after I parked up at the side of a taxiway this came and parked next to me. I have since discovered that this is kept at a large house not to far away from me.

Used to hear that classic Bell 47 sound as a kid all the time. Now it's rare. That example is in real good shape.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #99402 on: August 28, 2021, 05:45:02 pm »
My first RC helicopter back in the 90s was a NiCd-powered Kyosho loosely based on the 47. It only flew for aboot 7 minutes at a pop, which was okay because it was truly horrible to fly. Just plain poorly balanced and ill-mannered*; it was a white-knuckle ride every flight.  :-DD

mnem
*much like its owner >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99403 on: August 28, 2021, 05:46:22 pm »

My comment was irrespective of the implementation ! If it's electric it's BS to me, period !  :-DD
To each their own, I hate electric cars for so many reasons I won't even care to begin.
I am happy that people who like them can buy them, so long as I am not forced into buying one and still have the possibility to drive my old ICE cars.

As far as maintenance, electric or not it's still a car, so needs maintenance. Only the power train is different but it's not magical either, and we all know how power electronics like to fail. When your fancy Tesla will be 20 years and 300.000kms old, let's see how good it is and much it costs to fix the electronics and motors, compared to an old car. Will be fun to watch.

In my experience,  powertrain faults are rare on both modern combustion engine cars and Battery electrics.   What fails on both is all the little auxillary things - seat heaters, folding mirrors,  suspension parts.      Some cars are much more durable too - the interior on our LEAF was starting to show lots of wear after 3 years.   The i3 still looks great after 3.

Something other than the motor and inverter is going to take old ones beyond economic repair  The execption might be 1st generation battery packs on LEAF. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99404 on: August 28, 2021, 06:07:41 pm »

Used to hear that classic Bell 47 sound as a kid all the time. Now it's rare. That example is in real good shape.
We also have this based at North Weald and only flies a couple of air shows a year, the rest of the time it shares a hangar with a pair of Folland Knat's a Jaguar which is currently being restored to flight.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99405 on: August 28, 2021, 06:21:34 pm »

We also have this based at North Weald and only flies a couple of air shows a year, the rest of the time it shares a hangar with a pair of Folland Knat's a Jaguar which is currently being restored to flight.

Yea, the classic Huey sound too. While they are becoming rare too there are still some civilian Huey's flying in these parts.

You can always tell when one is coming and it's still miles away.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99406 on: August 28, 2021, 06:27:52 pm »
For a aircraft that hasn't been made in 35 years, still a surprising number of 'em out in the wild. I'm not exactly sanguine aboot the Grey Wolf lasting half as long, and there for sure won't be as many produced and handed down to civilian duty. And at the pricetag, probably a lot fewer civilian variant airframes built as well, I'd wager.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:36:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99407 on: August 28, 2021, 06:38:01 pm »

There's quite a few Hueys in service still in Germany. They land on occasions at the hospital next to us, their beating rotors sound obviously different than any other helicopter that lands there.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99408 on: August 28, 2021, 06:45:02 pm »
For a aircraft that hasn't been made in 35 years, still a surprising number of 'em out in the wild.

Dwarfed by the number of Dakota DC-3s (last one made 1946) and variants still in service somewhere in the world.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #99409 on: August 28, 2021, 07:02:50 pm »
For a aircraft that hasn't been made in 35 years, still a surprising number of 'em out in the wild.

Dwarfed by the number of Dakota DC-3s (last one made 1946) and variants still in service somewhere in the world.  :)

Over a decade ago I went to the Duxford airshow (and back) in a DC3. Flying height was about the same as the Cu clouds, approx 3kft. Fun, especially as the tail wiggled constantly by a small amount reminiscent of a control loop's limit cycle.

I got in just in time, since shortly after that, it was prevented from doing such passenger flights in the UK (and probably EU) by new (?avionics?) regulations.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:17:56 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #99410 on: August 28, 2021, 07:09:58 pm »

On occasion, we get formations of SK-50, ie. Saab Safir, trainers here. Of course, we also have the odd Tiger Moth pair. And, a Klemm KL35 3-group is not uncommon, them being very popular in Sweden during the 30s and later in the air force.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99411 on: August 28, 2021, 07:10:49 pm »
As a teenager, one of my wilder dreams was to rebuild a DC-3 into a flying camper van. I still revisit that in daydreams from time to time...

mnem
...along with dreams of being a barnstorming wanderer in a old radial-engine biplane.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:12:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #99412 on: August 28, 2021, 07:22:30 pm »
As a teenager, one of my wilder dreams was to rebuild a DC-3 into a flying camper van. I still revisit that in daydreams from time to time...

mnem
...along with dreams of being a barnstorming wanderer in a old radial-engine biplane.

I'd be content with building a boat for going from the home harbour here to the Mediterranean. Along the canals and rivers of Europe. More vineyards that way.

ObVideo:

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99413 on: August 28, 2021, 07:40:11 pm »
https://wellenkino.de/hp/5253b.mp4

this  :)

The screw that holds those reduction gears in place is loose, or is there something else wrong with it?

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99414 on: August 28, 2021, 07:45:59 pm »
Today I sniped a lot of six devices (three of them are R&S), plus some manuals / schematics and a R&S promotional glass hanger.
I got all of this for ca. 420 Euro.

--snip--

Here are some pictures:

overview of the lot:

the unknown isolating transformer:

Have you actually verified the unknown variable transformer also contains an isolation transformer? the case doesn't look big enough for both, unless it's very low power.

David

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #99415 on: August 28, 2021, 07:53:50 pm »
Have you actually verified the unknown variable transformer also contains an isolation transformer? the case doesn't look big enough for both, unless it's very low power.

I'm not sure about that, but looking at this picture it is showing a power outlet on its side (the device on the right, next to the test transmitter).
That's why I'm hoping it is an isolation transformer.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:55:49 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99416 on: August 28, 2021, 07:57:26 pm »
No-one else coming to Discord tonight then?   :-//
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99417 on: August 28, 2021, 08:22:30 pm »
Today I sniped a lot of six devices (three of them are R&S), plus some manuals / schematics and a R&S promotional glass hanger.
I got all of this for ca. 420 Euro.

--snip--

Here are some pictures:

David
Good observation and question. As it's high voltage output it's unlikely to be isolated. They do make isolated variacs though.
I have a low voltage output one. Basically it's got two windings about 600 turns of fine wire for the input that is fully insulated and then about 50 turns of thicker wire wound over it and the wiper runs on that.
Advantage is its smaller, lighter and possibly cheaper than a mains variac and separate isolation transformer. Disadvantage (for low voltage) is lower voltage resolution as 50 turns only gives 50 voltage steps (there is some interpolation as the brush covers more than one turn).
There is no reason why you could not make an isolated mains variac with two windings, fixed for input and wiper track on the output. Never seen one though.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99418 on: August 28, 2021, 08:25:48 pm »
The screw that holds those reduction gears in place is loose, or is there something else wrong with it?

You're asking about loose screws here?

Half of the contributors have a screw loose, and some have enough to open a hardware shop!

;)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, dl6lr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99419 on: August 28, 2021, 10:12:20 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, exor, wolfy007, DC1MC, cyclin_al

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99420 on: August 28, 2021, 10:15:49 pm »
has anyone ever seen one of these in the wild?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184978771720?hash=item2b11980f08:g:zywAAOSwGO1hCKf2

cub?  factory?  508? ...........  bueller? bueller?

why would anyone have bought one?
free range primate

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #99421 on: August 28, 2021, 10:49:35 pm »
has anyone ever seen one of these in the wild?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184978771720?hash=item2b11980f08:g:zywAAOSwGO1hCKf2

cub?  factory?  508? ...........  bueller? bueller?

why would anyone have bought one?

No clue what it is, and have never seen one.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #99422 on: August 28, 2021, 11:03:01 pm »
Grumble grumble

Bloody PC started the day doing boot loops then locking into some fault mode where only a mains repower recovers it.  :rant:
Another PSU installed and similar results.  >:(

Might have to let the moths out of the wallet.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99423 on: August 28, 2021, 11:12:02 pm »
Grumble grumble Bloody PC started the day doing boot loops then locking into some fault mode where only a mains repower recovers it.  :rant:
Another PSU installed and similar results.  >:( Might have to let the moths out of the wallet.  :-DD
Reseat the RAM/cards/cables, try another OS drive, rollback any recent Windoze updates if that works. You know this dance. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to look for some calories as still triple digits for the day*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:41:34 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99424 on: August 28, 2021, 11:12:56 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, BU508A, mnementh, factory, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf