Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16513291 times)

themadhippy and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98525 on: August 22, 2021, 09:03:17 am »

What is it with you Yanks having toggle switches that flick up for ON ?  :-//

I guess it's because we like to aggravate the rest of the world just like we thumb our noses at the metric system.  :P :-DD

Seriously, it seems normal and natural. All my factory built equipment is like that and our wall switches are the same.
Right.  ::)
Just as normal and natural as using black for phase ?  :scared:

Don't care. The tea is still on the bottom of the harbor and that's where it's gonna stay.  :P :P ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98526 on: August 22, 2021, 09:41:55 am »
Seems that some of you missed an interesting discord session :-DD
Some of us had to leave.......talk of horny gun toting goths was just too much handle.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98527 on: August 22, 2021, 09:53:45 am »
I am constantly impressed by the vast deviation of topics generally  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Peter_O

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98528 on: August 22, 2021, 10:00:36 am »
This morning's "run away" fleabay offering is a 20kV scope probe: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393523504276

"Up for sale is a used Tektronix P6015vHigh Voltage probe and compensation box for high voltage probe. The probe has been overstressed due no no oil and would need an overhaul before use but all the part are present. The compensation box is in very good working order and still has calibration seals over the adjustable pots
A refurbished probe like this would cost over £1000"

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:06:38 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98529 on: August 22, 2021, 10:09:16 am »
This morning's "run away" fleabay offering: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393523504276

"Up for sale is a used Tektronix P6015vHigh Voltage probe and compensation box for high voltage probe. The probe has been overstressed due no no oil and would need an overhaul before use but all the part are present. The compensation box is in very good working order and still has calibration seals over the adjustable pots

Oil ?  :-//
Freon was the recommended insulation agent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #98530 on: August 22, 2021, 10:20:44 am »
I am constantly impressed by the vast deviation of topics generally  :-DD
Did I earn the title of honorary redhead ? :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98531 on: August 22, 2021, 10:29:09 am »
You're far too sensible for that title :-DD

Online srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #98532 on: August 22, 2021, 10:31:25 am »
As a British I wouldn't include automobile and seal in one paragraph. 😄

Just remember the leaky seals at the top of our cars are perfectly compensated by the rusty holes at the bottom to let the water out again.

Weren't seals a ingredient in British cars once upon a time...? :o

mnem
... or was it a breeding program...? 

We used to have quite a few British cars on New Zealand roads until they were all destroyed by rampaging elephant seals (and general decay)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Peter_O

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98533 on: August 22, 2021, 10:41:40 am »

I guess it's because we like to aggravate the rest of the world just like we thumb our noses at the metric system.  :P :-DD

Seriously, it seems normal and natural. All my factory built equipment is like that and our wall switches are the same.

It's not just the north americans who do this. It is standard for toggle switches on aircraft. The reasoning is that accidental operation to ON is less likely. This is because things fall down not up.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Carl_Smith, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #98534 on: August 22, 2021, 11:06:55 am »

It's not just the north americans who do this. It is standard for toggle switches on aircraft. The reasoning is that accidental operation to ON is less likely. This is because things fall down not up.
I was about to agree re the switch direction in the USA- but thought if I was a pilot (and I am not) if I was flying I imagine there are lots of switches that I wouldn't want to accidentally switch off eg fuel pumps etc.
For me the biggest argument for the down-off is I imagine that in an emergency it may be slightly quicker.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98535 on: August 22, 2021, 11:14:11 am »
Yeah, sorry but I had a rather pressing HR problem to help sort out, hopefully it will be resolved Wednesday with justice being done, but knowing from previous experiences, it won't, they normally do not do "U" turns because it shows them in a bad light. Once upon a time I recall they used to be called Personnel Dept and back then they seemed to be more on the employee side rather than the bosses.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98536 on: August 22, 2021, 11:18:38 am »

Right.  ::)
Just as normal and natural as using black for phase ?  :scared:

Don't care. The tea is still on the bottom of the harbor and that's where it's gonna stay.  :P :P ;D
Nah, unless you've recently chucked some tea in, its all long gone.   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98537 on: August 22, 2021, 11:26:05 am »
Some of us had to leave.......talk of horny gun toting goths was just too much handle.  :-DD
I don't know, the horny bit is all good and fine with me and as long the gun toting goth bit doesnt involve eating or otherwise harming the male after the horniness is satisfied, whats not to like  :-DD ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #98538 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45:00 am »
I don't do the mantis thing, I don't like them raw :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, BILLPOD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98539 on: August 22, 2021, 11:46:50 am »

Thanks for clearing that up, I did wonder if that was the real reason, makes sense to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98540 on: August 22, 2021, 11:50:12 am »
I don't do the mantis thing, I don't like them raw :)
Hmm, well, I still don't fancy being cooked either, what is wrong with horniness, resting and repeating then  ^-^
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98541 on: August 22, 2021, 12:04:45 pm »
Mod 122C too...it is also an exceptionally stable instrument. I have a 577D1 as well, and it takes a couple hours before it is fully stable. I also have a second Type 575 with Mod 122C, equally as clean, but it's not so good functionally. I will be getting to it in the repair queue, possibly this winter when it's more fun to have toob gear heating the lab.  :-DD

Wow...two pristine 400V 575 ... and me just a crusty 200V one. Oh well... still so happy to have at least one example of the beast, regardless of specs or condition !  ;D

577 only one I saw for sale here was a year ago and teh guy wanted 2500 Euros for it... not even powered up / 100% unknown condition, yeah right !!!  |O
I also gather these are a nightmare to work on, have plastic bits that break, and known weak points on unobtainium parts.. can't remember the specifics but quite scary especially given the price of the thing ! :scared:

My 575 was only 150 Euros, 15 times cheaper than a 577 and it's all bullet proof stuff, or fairly easy to repair at least. It's a boat anchor after all, it does come with its advantages...  ;D

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98542 on: August 22, 2021, 12:07:07 pm »
This morning's "run away" fleabay offering: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393523504276

No one over here will be able to get Freon, unless they find some old stock, the later P6015A version uses silicone compound according to the Tek datasheet.

I've seen complete sets of that HV probe go for less than the start price, even one locally that came with complete with a scope & cart.
The seller clearly doesn't understand ePay terms, as they have listed it as used which implies that it is fully working, which it clearly isn't  :palm:, could it even be cleaned??? They would have to pay me to take that away.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98543 on: August 22, 2021, 12:08:40 pm »

Let me gloat for a moment. Normal, natural, and safer.  :-+ The rest of you can go piss up a rope.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98544 on: August 22, 2021, 12:11:58 pm »

No one over here will be able to get Freon, unless they find some old stock, the later P6015A version uses silicone compound according to the Tek datasheet.

I've seen complete sets of that HV probe go for less than the start price, even one locally that came with complete with a scope & cart.
The seller clearly doesn't understand ePay terms, as they have listed it as used which implies that it is fully working, which it clearly isn't  :palm:, could it even be cleaned??? They would have to pay me to take that away.

David

Without the freon I think the probe can only be used safely up to approx 6kV.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98545 on: August 22, 2021, 12:22:20 pm »

David

Without the freon I think the probe can only be used safely up to approx 6kV.

Tek wiki gives 13kV, but your right, that one would probably flash over long before getting to 6kV.  :-BROKE
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/P6015

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98546 on: August 22, 2021, 12:34:11 pm »

Let me gloat for a moment. Normal, natural, and safer.  :-+ The rest of you can go piss up a rope.  :P :P :-DD :-DD
I just knew that would be your response  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98547 on: August 22, 2021, 12:46:38 pm »

Just so, but the residual amount in mine looks a little like an oil.

I'm sure putting the guts of that probe into the dishwasher would remove all the carbon deposits and make it perfectly safe to use. Wouldn't it?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98548 on: August 22, 2021, 01:01:13 pm »
After cleaning the foam crap out over the bin, I checked the battery pack, it measured in at 4.6V.
But once reinstalled it failed to power the scope without the wall-wart connected, I expect it's past it's best and will need replacing. No issues apart from a memory error, the display is in excellent condition and judging by the number of power cycles this scope hasn't seen a lot of use.

As the main bench is still covered in hp 180 series, it will be a while before I do a teardown to evaluate the condition of smd caps that maybe inside.

David

Yeah, the battery situation is a bit of a bummer, but at least it's made up of standard cells.

4 of those power cycles are me checking the basic operation and battery after I bullied some charge into it (arrived here with ~300mV on it), though I didn't think to check the number of them in that menu so never saw that memory error   :palm:

I keep looking over at my 720A now and wondering about smd caps dammit!   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98549 on: August 22, 2021, 01:14:12 pm »
I keep looking over at my 720A now and wondering about smd caps dammit!   :scared:[/color][/size][/b]

Stop wondering then, just crack it open to check for them, and make some nice pictures for us in the process, that goes without saying ! ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf