Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16976155 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98450 on: August 21, 2021, 03:42:15 pm »
Gee...when I was in Scotland back in 2001 I had no trouble understanding any of the locals. Even took the rental car into the country side outside of Edinburgh and no issues.  :-//

That's the east coast, posh there they are. Glasgae is on the Clyde on the west coat, posh they are not. Govan is by the docks in Glasgow, they think that that the rest of Glasgow are too posh for their own good.  :)

Edinburgh and surrounds (e.g. Fife) probably has the most intelligible English speaking accent anywhere in the world. Edinburghers typically pronounce ev-er-ry syllable crisply and clearly and are quite slow speaking, in a measured and deliberate sort of way.

Really posh Edinburgh folks have an accent that is barely distinguishable as being Scots, it's more 'BBC' than the BBC has been for years. Morningside typifies the really posh Edinburgh accent, and Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" does a perfect Morningside accent.

If you want incomprehensible, you want my mate Billy Smith from Orkney. There's nothing rough or ill-spoken about the Orkney accent, it's just damn near incomprehensible to outsiders and Billy in particular speaks at a mile-a-minute. For some reason I can understand Billy with ease, but most people can't, and I have literally had to act as a one-way translator on occasions.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #98451 on: August 21, 2021, 03:42:46 pm »
Generally speaking they manage to find you...   :palm:

The story of my life in a nutshell...  :-DD

mnem
*dumbass magnet*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98452 on: August 21, 2021, 03:54:24 pm »
Crazy pricing of the week goes tohttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265277070312
I’d expect the seller to chuck their partner in for a couple of days at that price  :-DD

Oh hell yes, look at this then, also from the same seller (who, it must be said, does appear to shift this junk judging by his feedback score and is VAT registered as well) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284102793249, and its total shit, look at his list of faults, and he makes zero mention that the left woofer cone is completely ripped. I attach a photo of what a good one looks like. Is it me or has this country since Brexit gone totally stir crazy on eBay with these utterly ridiculous valuations?

OMFG... I had one of those as a punk kid. Filled it up with 10AH NiCd D-cells, and cut one of those ultra-slim AVX car stereo EQ-amplifiers (remember those under the dash of every wannabe's hoopty...?  ::)) into the top/back of it to get some actual volume out of the thing.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:56:01 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98453 on: August 21, 2021, 03:58:37 pm »
Gee...when I was in Scotland back in 2001 I had no trouble understanding any of the locals. Even took the rental car into the country side outside of Edinburgh and no issues.  :-//

I doubt that your tour took in The Gorbals...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98454 on: August 21, 2021, 03:58:52 pm »
Speaking of VW's. In 1955 my Father bought brand new one this exact color. Back then the "bus" was very rare in the US and folks would stare at it at traffic lights and when parked. I remember as a kid having a playground in the back seat in the days before "safety" and seat belts. Somehow my sister and I survived the ordeal.  :-DD

Back then the mechanics at the VW Dealer were all German. And getting replacement parts could sometimes be an ordeal. The starter motor went out and couldn't get one for a few weeks. So my parents would park it on a hill and dump clutch it or my Mother would get behind the wheel and my father give a push.  ;D You COULD rope start it but apparently never tired.   

We had it until 1961 when one cold December night on the NY Thruway that little 32 hp flat four engine said "no more" and threw a rod.  :scared:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98455 on: August 21, 2021, 04:00:47 pm »
Crazy pricing of the week goes to

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265277070312

I’d expect the seller to chuck their partner in for a couple of days at that price  :-DD

Careful what you wish for. Remember the stripper granny  :popcorn:

I can go wake her up if you like.  :P :P :-DD

*goes to DEFCON 2*

mnem
 :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98456 on: August 21, 2021, 04:29:09 pm »
Wait a minute.  :o I thought there was this French government committee with the sole purpose of keeping the French language "pure" and free of those dreaded English words.

There is even a LAW that "forbids" the use of Engish words in ads on TV or radio !  But the marketing people go around this by translating the English words or expressions within the ad itself, so it looks silly !  On TV or printed ads you have an asterisk that links to the translation in French, in tiny characters hidden at the very bottom of the screen or page, so it's kinda invisible, but on RADIO it sounds so silly, because you get the English worded slogan, then immediately after saying it in English, you hear the guy saying " XYZ  english " means "XYZ in French", so stupid !!! Why not say it in French in the first place you moron !!!  :-//

Quote from: med6753
You mean to tell me that the great unwashed masses told them to stick it where the sun don't shine?  :-DD

The "French Academy" it's called. Problem is that nobody listen to them, or really knows about them...
Worse : the GOVERNMENT a few years ago decided to SIMPLIFY the French language, because since French people can't seem to speak French any more, they figured it must be because the language is too complicated, rather than maybe it's because the education system is going south !
So they simplified the spelling of many words... flattening things out, removing all the little things that made the language rich and interesting, just because parents and schools can't fucking teach French to their kids ?!  :scared:
Luckily this reform  was so extreme, so ridiculous that people still use mostly the old / normal spelling, thank Goodness !  :scared:
By law both spellings of a word are now legal. So if I wanted I could write using a silly spelling and get away with it.. but I would still look weird and ridiculous none the less !
So since the old / normal spelling is still authorized.. we keep using it. The new / simplified spelling will I hope get forgotten and just die...

Seems to me that this is part of what appears to be a systematical dumbing down of the educational system with the rise in Populist governments across the globe. The public no longer it seems are capable of critical thinking, that in main seems to be reserved for the Elitists for their own agendas.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98457 on: August 21, 2021, 04:46:39 pm »

Oh hell yes, look at this then, also from the same seller (who, it must be said, does appear to shift this junk judging by his feedback score and is VAT registered as well) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284102793249 and its total shit, look at his list of faults, and he makes zero mention that the left woofer cone is completely ripped. I attach a photo of what a good one looks like.

OMFG... I had one of those as a punk kid. Filled it up with 10AH NiCd D-cells, and cut one of those ultra-slim AVX car stereo EQ-amplifiers (remember those under the dash of every wannabe's hoopty...?  ::)) into the top/back of it to get some actual volume out of the thing.  :-DD

mnem

Wonder how they got Classic FM playing, with the band switch is broken off in the MW position.  :-DD
And why is the shipping three times the amount for shipping the hp 184A scope they have.   :horse:

David
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:50:17 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98458 on: August 21, 2021, 05:03:05 pm »

Oh hell yes, look at this then, also from the same seller (who, it must be said, does appear to shift this junk judging by his feedback score and is VAT registered as well) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284102793249 and its total shit, look at his list of faults, and he makes zero mention that the left woofer cone is completely ripped. I attach a photo of what a good one looks like.

mnem

Wonder how they got Classic FM playing, with the band switch is broken off in the MW position.  :-DD
And why is the shipping three times the amount for shipping the hp 184A scope they have.   :horse:

David

For some reason those old boom boxes are now demanding a high price. Don't understand why. Most of them sounded like crap back then and sound even crappier now.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98459 on: August 21, 2021, 05:10:38 pm »
Speaking of VW's. In 1955 my Father bought brand new one this exact color. Back then the "bus" was very rare in the US and folks would stare at it at traffic lights and when parked. I remember as a kid having a playground in the back seat in the days before "safety" and seat belts. Somehow my sister and I survived the ordeal.  :-DD

Back then the mechanics at the VW Dealer were all German. And getting replacement parts could sometimes be an ordeal. The starter motor went out and couldn't get one for a few weeks. So my parents would park it on a hill and dump clutch it or my Mother would get behind the wheel and my father give a push.  ;D You COULD rope start it but apparently never tired.   

We had it until 1961 when one cold December night on the NY Thruway that little 32 hp flat four engine said "no more" and threw a rod.  :scared:

These days they are a much sought after car and prices have sky rocketed
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98460 on: August 21, 2021, 05:24:51 pm »
I suspect that poor abused boombox is a tax scam. They'll write its "value" off their taxes when they can't sell it, or some other accountancy bollocks.

Ok, been a busy boy this afternoon, fixing and fettling and fiddling in between my MMO guild commitments. Had a quick look at the accuracy of the Metrix, and I have to say, I am very impressed.

As you can see, it easily holds its own up against the top dogs. It agreed +/- a couple of LSD on resistance too, and read dead nuts on one of my reference caps. Here's a 100µF Rubycon just for shits and giggles. Can you guess what kind of life it's had?   :-DD

I pulled the current clamp apart too:

Grrr, the ribbons've been gunked:

Clamp assembly removed, the springamathing is quite strong so it's not that:

Can you see the problem yet?

How tf does this even happen? I swear, fecking gorillas:

Those leaves are meant to, well, interleave... they are quite small and needless to say it wasn't easy to reshape and position them so that they mate up properly again. Ideally I'd like to have removed them from the housing and reshaped them more accurately but that isn't feasible as the clamshell halves are glued/welded together.
In any case, it now passes POSC (power on self calibration   :popcorn:  ) and gives credible readings:

I'll just have to be really careful when letting the jaws close.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98461 on: August 21, 2021, 05:31:32 pm »
As a British I wouldn't include automobile and seal in one paragraph. 😄

Just remember the leaky seals at the top of our cars are perfectly compensated by the rusty holes at the bottom to let the water out again.

Weren't seals a ingredient in British cars once upon a time...? :o

mnem
... or was it a breeding program...? 

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98462 on: August 21, 2021, 05:33:27 pm »
Speaking of VW's. In 1955 my Father bought brand new one this exact color.

Especially so that one as it has the " split " windscreen that commands a x20 markup, though I don't understand why. But I am not into vans so I can't know...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98463 on: August 21, 2021, 05:33:53 pm »

Just remember the leaky seals at the top of our cars are perfectly compensated by the rusty holes at the bottom to let the water out again.

Not if it's German.  :-DD

"The Beetle will definitely float, but it will not float indefinitely." :-DD

Classic.  ;)

mnem
 8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98464 on: August 21, 2021, 05:43:35 pm »

Yeah saw a bashed up POS the other weekend in Chichester that they were trying to shift for £23k. Fuck that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98465 on: August 21, 2021, 05:57:28 pm »
There's a good chance that they get that or pretty close to it as well. There are also dedicated YT channels to the VW transporter kombi vans.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98466 on: August 21, 2021, 05:58:48 pm »
Yep. I see it like this: For half that you can buy something you’re not going to die in if you hit someone at 20mph.

Edit: accidentally drank half a bottle of wine with dinner. Will drink the other half before discord  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:01:18 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98467 on: August 21, 2021, 06:05:55 pm »
No where is more true than in the USA, look at this then for insane prices.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98468 on: August 21, 2021, 06:11:47 pm »
Can blame fucking hipsters for that  :-DD

Playing that mission made me really happy for some reason  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98469 on: August 21, 2021, 06:32:04 pm »
Here's another, they are cute,

Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98470 on: August 21, 2021, 06:34:31 pm »
Bah, let them all beat each other off in one big circle jerk, wasting money on rusty old pieces of shit that'll Darwinise them in a mild impact. Good riddance to bad genes.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #98471 on: August 21, 2021, 06:37:45 pm »

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98472 on: August 21, 2021, 06:39:32 pm »

Yeah saw a bashed up POS the other weekend in Chichester that they were trying to shift for £23k. Fuck that.

Daughter bought a 50yo ice cream van for much less than that needs special fuel and additives :(

Anybody know of where a 2.5m high van can be stored undercover in south Wales?!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:41:24 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98473 on: August 21, 2021, 06:45:23 pm »
You might try asking on the Autoshite forum, tggzzz. Lots of people there seem to rent space from farmers to store their collections of rustbuckets.

Discord is in early bird mode.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98474 on: August 21, 2021, 07:08:24 pm »
Absolutely HUGE 15V 225W power supply only £99  ???
It's in a 5 or 6U 19" rack case  :wtf:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174902757301

EDIT. He also has the matching 60V 10V supply but it seems to have gone to 6 or 7U and £15.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174902750110
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:14:50 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf