Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16976209 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98425 on: August 21, 2021, 01:59:50 pm »
The difference is that the French car is plotting your downfall from the first day it is assembled in the factory. As is the assembly line worker with the Gitaines dangling from the corner of his mouth while he gives a dismissive Gallic shrug - "Oh mon ami, the seal he is not essential, he only keeps the rain out. ".  :)

At least it's not an Italian car which is doomed far before they even start making the parts for it  :-DD

Design meeting

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:03:33 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98426 on: August 21, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »
Stupid RS, their manual for the Metrix is in the original French!   :palm:

Vince shrugs, lights Gauloise. "Pas de problème!"  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98427 on: August 21, 2021, 02:02:06 pm »
The difference is that the French car is plotting your downfall from the first day it is assembled in the factory. As is the assembly line worker with the Gitaines dangling from the corner of his mouth while he gives a dismissive Gallic shrug - "Oh mon ami, the seal he is not essential, he only keeps the rain out. ".  :)

At least it's not an Italian car which is doomed far before they even start making the parts for it  :-DD

You have to remember that the Romans invented Stoicism.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98428 on: August 21, 2021, 02:20:00 pm »

I don't smoke !  >:D

I can read French no problem.  The problem is that very few people speak French any more these days in France. There is no sense of spelling or grammar or verb tenses or punctuation or what words actually mean or anything any more, and they sprinkle their sentences with random misused English words here and there to look smart, or so they all think. It's a complete shit show. It's getting harder and harder to understand what people write or say, and it's getting harder and harder for people to understand what I write or say, because they have 10 words of vocabulary and just can't read. It's hard to express nuance with 10 words...

They speak neither decent French nor English, just a really bad mix of the two !  :palm:

Rant over, sorry....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98429 on: August 21, 2021, 02:30:25 pm »
Same here

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98430 on: August 21, 2021, 02:41:08 pm »
Same here

Did he just tell her to go fuck herself?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98431 on: August 21, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »

I can read French no problem.  The problem is that very few people speak French any more these days in France. There is no sense of spelling or grammar or verb tenses or punctuation or what words actually mean or anything any more, and they sprinkle their sentences with random misused English words here and there to look smart, or so they all think. It's a complete shit show. It's getting harder and harder to understand what people write or say, and it's getting harder and harder for people to understand what I write or say, because they have 10 words of vocabulary and just can't read. It's hard to express nuance with 10 words...

They speak neither decent French nor English, just a really bad mix of the two !  :palm:

Rant over, sorry....

Wait a minute.  :o I thought there was this French government committee with the sole purpose of keeping the French language "pure" and free of those dreaded English words. You mean to tell me that the great unwashed masses told them to stick it where the sun don't shine?  :-DD   

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98432 on: August 21, 2021, 02:48:31 pm »
Same here

:-DD

I could make sense only of the very last split second of what he said, I think ! Sounded like he said something like "do you understand ? ".

Other than that !   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98433 on: August 21, 2021, 02:51:17 pm »

Rant over, sorry....

Never mind, we can converse very well with you over on this side of the stream  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98434 on: August 21, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »
Same here

Did he just tell her to go fuck herself?  :P :-DD

No, he's not from Govan.

(I should point out that Rab's Govan accent has been toned down to make it vaguely intelligible. A true Govan man wouldn't actually move his lips while talking and every syllable would come from the back of the throat.)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98435 on: August 21, 2021, 02:56:35 pm »
Gonna be interesting weather wise in these parts today and tomorrow. Current track will put me on the western edge of it. Cubdriver (Pat) will take a near direct hit.  :o

https://www.weather.gov/media/aly/AutoBriefing/ALYBriefing.pdf

Yeah, definitely not liking that predicted storm track - has me pretty much boresited.  Forecast I just looked at calls for sustained 30-40 mph winds with gusts north of 60 (100 kph-ish). This is not good considering that the trees are fully leafed out again, as they were last summer when the last big storm ripped through.   :wtf:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98436 on: August 21, 2021, 03:01:05 pm »
Gee...when I was in Scotland back in 2001 I had no trouble understanding any of the locals. Even took the rental car into the country side outside of Edinburgh and no issues.  :-//

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98437 on: August 21, 2021, 03:03:41 pm »
Wait a minute.  :o I thought there was this French government committee with the sole purpose of keeping the French language "pure" and free of those dreaded English words.

There is even a LAW that "forbids" the use of Engish words in ads on TV or radio !  But the marketing people go around this by translating the English words or expressions within the ad itself, so it looks silly !  On TV or printed ads you have an asterisk that links to the translation in French, in tiny characters hidden at the very bottom of the screen or page, so it's kinda invisible, but on RADIO it sounds so silly, because you get the English worded slogan, then immediately after saying it in English, you hear the guy saying " XYZ  english " means "XYZ in French", so stupid !!! Why not say it in French in the first place you moron !!!  :-//

Quote from: med6753
You mean to tell me that the great unwashed masses told them to stick it where the sun don't shine?  :-DD

The "French Academy" it's called. Problem is that nobody listen to them, or really knows about them...
Worse : the GOVERNMENT a few years ago decided to SIMPLIFY the French language, because since French people can't seem to speak French any more, they figured it must be because the language is too complicated, rather than maybe it's because the education system is going south !
So they simplified the spelling of many words... flattening things out, removing all the little things that made the language rich and interesting, just because parents and schools can't fucking teach French to their kids ?!  :scared:
Luckily this reform  was so extreme, so ridiculous that people still use mostly the old / normal spelling, thank Goodness !  :scared:
By law both spellings of a word are now legal. So if I wanted I could write using a silly spelling and get away with it.. but I would still look weird and ridiculous none the less !
So since the old / normal spelling is still authorized.. we keep using it. The new / simplified spelling will I hope get forgotten and just die...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:20:51 pm by Vince »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98438 on: August 21, 2021, 03:06:56 pm »
Gonna be interesting weather wise in these parts today and tomorrow. Current track will put me on the western edge of it. Cubdriver (Pat) will take a near direct hit.  :o

https://www.weather.gov/media/aly/AutoBriefing/ALYBriefing.pdf

Yeah, definitely not liking that predicted storm track - has me pretty much boresited.  Forecast I just looked at calls for sustained 30-40 mph winds with gusts north of 60 (100 kph-ish). This is not good considering that the trees are fully leafed out again, as they were last summer when the last big storm ripped through.   :wtf:

-Pat

Yea, not looking too good for you. Batten down the hatches and keep flashlight handy. Be safe buddy.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #98439 on: August 21, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »
Ethernet is from devil! 😁

I beg to differ. Serial ports are important; we agree there. But only as debug and out-of-band method, to get things running on the network. As soon as you've gotten network connectivity, the serial port is just an "Oh, shit" device.

Compared to say GPIB, TCP/IP over Ethernet on an instrument is IMNSHO much better. The only thing you'd lose is some timing. Ethernet cables are cheap as chips, can be self made (but it is not economical) and reach much longer than GPIB, at speeds that simply are insane in comparison. And then we haven't introduced a switch, yet. Which is also very inexpensive.

I've got one GPIB instrument so far. I'd be happy to get more, and as soon as I do, I'll probably try getting a cable for it and bodge an adapter/bridging solution so I can talk to them from my networked computers..
Didn't you read the grinning hieroglypth at the end  ;) It's like two sided coin, when ethernet work (modern implementations) they work nicely, when you have poor connector (RJ-45 rubbish) somewhere, you will loose your mental health quickly.

Us nordic people and irony. Yeah, the 8p8c connector is an interesting piece of technology.

When it works it is extremely reliable, but as soon as one mistreats it, it will extract a gruesome revenge. Almost like a french car.

I recently happened to buy a couple 1000 of it, for next to nothing, including a crimper and, more importantly, almost as many backshells with tab protectors.

As a British I wouldn't include automobile and seal in one paragraph. 😄

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98440 on: August 21, 2021, 03:15:17 pm »
Wait a minute.  :o I thought there was this French government committee with the sole purpose of keeping the French language "pure" and free of those dreaded English words.

There is even a LAW that "forbids" the use Engish words in ads on TV or radio !  But they marketing people go around this by translating the English words or expressions within the ad itseld, so it looks silly !  On TV or printed  ads you have an asterisk that links to the translation in French, in tiny characters hidden at the very bottom of the screen or page, so it's kinda invisible, but on RADIO it sounds so silly, because you get the English worded slogan, then immediately after saying it in English, you hear the guy saying " XYZ  english " means "XYZ in French", so stupid !!! Why not say it in French in the first place you moron !!!  :-//

Quote from: med6753
You mean to tell me that the great unwashed masses told them to stick it where the sun don't shine?  :-DD

The "French Academy" it's called. Problem is that nobody listen to them, or really knows about them...
Worse : the GOVERNMENT a few years ago decided to SIMPLIFY the French language, because since French people can't seem to speak French any more, they figured it must be because the language is too complicated, rather than maybe it's because the education system is going south !
So they simplified the spelling of many words... flattening things out, removing all the little things that made the language rich and interesting, just because parents and schools can't fucking teach French to their kids ?!  :scared:
Luckily this reform  was so extreme, so ridiculous that people still use mostly the old / normal spelling, thank Goodness !  :scared:
By law both spellings of a word are now legal. So if I wanted I could write using a silly spelling and get away with it.. but I would still look weird and ridiculous none the less !
So since the old / normal spelling is still authorized.. we keep using it. The new / simplified spelling will I hope get forgotten and just die...

You mean to tell me that hatred of all things British and American (especially American) fostered by that arrogant prick Charles de Gaulle has finally fallen by the wayside? 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98441 on: August 21, 2021, 03:19:20 pm »

Just remember the leaky seals at the top of our cars are perfectly compensated by the rusty holes at the bottom to let the water out again.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #98442 on: August 21, 2021, 03:23:40 pm »

Just remember the leaky seals at the top of our cars are perfectly compensated by the rusty holes at the bottom to let the water out again.
With electric cars only rusty holes will be left.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #98443 on: August 21, 2021, 03:26:20 pm »
Crazy pricing of the week goes to

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265277070312

I’d expect the seller to chuck their partner in for a couple of days at that price  :-DD

Fuckin' thing has shrooms growin' on it!!! :-DD

mnem
Well maybe... if they're that kind of shrooms... :o

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98444 on: August 21, 2021, 03:28:26 pm »
If they are they're probably worth more than the scope is anyway  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98445 on: August 21, 2021, 03:31:05 pm »

Not if it's German.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98446 on: August 21, 2021, 03:33:23 pm »
Ethernet is from devil! 😁

I beg to differ. Serial ports are important; we agree there. But only as debug and out-of-band method, to get things running on the network. As soon as you've gotten network connectivity, the serial port is just an "Oh, shit" device.

Compared to say GPIB, TCP/IP over Ethernet on an instrument is IMNSHO much better. The only thing you'd lose is some timing. Ethernet cables are cheap as chips, can be self made (but it is not economical) and reach much longer than GPIB, at speeds that simply are insane in comparison. And then we haven't introduced a switch, yet. Which is also very inexpensive.

I've got one GPIB instrument so far. I'd be happy to get more, and as soon as I do, I'll probably try getting a cable for it and bodge an adapter/bridging solution so I can talk to them from my networked computers..
Didn't you read the grinning hieroglypth at the end  ;) It's like two sided coin, when ethernet work (modern implementations) they work nicely, when you have poor connector (RJ-45 rubbish) somewhere, you will loose your mental health quickly.

Us nordic people and irony. Yeah, the 8p8c connector is an interesting piece of technology.

When it works it is extremely reliable, but as soon as one mistreats it, it will extract a gruesome revenge. Almost like a french car.

I recently happened to buy a couple 1000 of it, for next to nothing, including a crimper and, more importantly, almost as many backshells with tab protectors.

I used to have a series 2 Land Rover. The car would continue to the destination with an amazing number of bits missing.

For a long time, it didn't have a fuel gauge. It definitely and legally included having only one wondscreen wiper and no seat belts. I had good reason to believe that would have included a front wheel and an engine mount :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:35:22 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98447 on: August 21, 2021, 03:33:43 pm »
You mean to tell me that hatred of all things British and American (especially American) fostered by that arrogant prick Charles de Gaulle has finally fallen by the wayside?

No I wouldn't say that.

I don't feel there has ever been anti British or anti-American feelings over here, and would at the least not say any of it would originate from Charles de Gaulle !  I mean, this is old stuff, nobody remembers him or that era, it's totally meaningless and irrelevant to 90% of the population. Over here only politicians like to cite Charles de Gaulle when they run short of ideas of their own.

Be it Americans or British, there has always been a love-hate relation ship I would say, it's 50/50 ! Good and bad. Some people focusing on the good and others focusing on the bad...

The increased use of English words in people's language today.. I think one should not read too much into it. It's mostly a "fashion" , mostly induced by lazy marketing people, and a way to cover their deficiencies in mastering their mother tong, French !

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:35:21 pm by Vince »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98448 on: August 21, 2021, 03:35:49 pm »

Not if it's German.  :-DD

Actually this reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/bf7q8lWEd-o?t=525

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98449 on: August 21, 2021, 03:39:48 pm »

With my Landie the holes weren't rusty. There's an advantage to letting the water in: if you don't then when crossing a rover the car will float and easily be pushed sideways off the track.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf