Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16977510 times)

BrianInTexas, AVGresponding, Neoname, Robert763 and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98350 on: August 20, 2021, 08:51:18 pm »
     There are 4 slots for memory modules which can be ROM, PROMs or 4K (!) of RAM.   It was open archetecture. It has a real time clock.  There was a printer and  several storage options.

It could easily be used in an automated test rack or as a data logger.

The company I was working for made ROMS for it and sold it as part of a portable system for bomb damange assement.   

I didn't work on it, but asked about all the boxes of unused HP sitting around.  When the contract ended,   I bought all of the leftover 71Bs for next to nothing and gave most of them away.   I was not allowed to get near anything besides the new in box 71Bs.  The rest was probalby classified.

Well, thanks for the info, interesting indeed ! :-+

It's incredible when you think that the HPIB bus dates back to the late '60's and is still offered today on top dollar professional gear from Tek and HP.
Ethernet and RS-232 / UARTS look like they are following the same path...  Professionals just seem to like their old stuff... consumer stuff not so much eh ! How long did the VESA and AGP video bus last, 6 months ?!  ;D

I guess the pros are counting the beans and keeping a close eye on return on investments, whereas consumers just look for an excuse to spend money on the latest gadget, it's disposable...

Apparently manufacturers have learned that saying "You don't have to add an Ethernet network to add our new PixieMeter3000 into your existing test setup!" sells test equipment. I think that that may be an indictment of the IT department.

EDIT:

More important might be that the customers don't have to get all new automation software that talks SCPI and then either replace all of their working GPIB automation or integrate the new software.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:57:12 pm by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98351 on: August 20, 2021, 08:52:47 pm »

....snip
 and as Tony has discovered, there is a shortage of manuals for it as well, ....snip

Nope....readily available through Artek Manuals.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98352 on: August 20, 2021, 09:02:16 pm »
Added a charge line to my pulser. Next step is working on better shaping of the pulse top....but that's another day's problem.  >:D

Also got a wild pic while experimenting with a long exposure app on my phone. I think the lighting confused it.

Funky !

Can we have a pic with a clean pulse and time base setting so we can measure the rise time ?  ;D

And forgive the stupid newbie question but is a "charge line" ,  not much info online to my dismay. Found " charging line " or "line charging", often not even pertaining to electronics...

What does it consist of, its role and how why did you expect it might modify the rise time (in your last post you said rise time without charge line was irrelevant ) ?  I mean I can see it lengthens the pulse of course, but what's the impact on rise time ?

Thanks !  ;D

The charge line is simply a coaxial cable where it's capacitance has been used.

Here is my charge line:

This is the schematic of the Jim-Williams fast pulse generator:

C1 is essentially the capacitance of the coax cable.

HTH

Edit:

Here has somebody made a charge line on the PCB:

Source:
http://www.siliconvalleygarage.com/projects/picosecond-pulser.html
Owner = member free_electron one of our long serving members:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=446

Vincent is a clever cookie and if you have time listen to the Amp Hour interview:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/amphour/our-3-hour-interview-with-free_electron/

A nice package on his website is his Altium component library.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98353 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08:08 pm »
Are any of you lot bidding on this? If not I'll ready my sniping reflexes with a clear conscience...   >:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165027010211

On my watch list now, but no plans to bid on it, good luck.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #98354 on: August 20, 2021, 09:09:34 pm »

Warning: Shameless IRL Nerd-Sniping! :-DD

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen mumblety-mumble*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98355 on: August 20, 2021, 09:25:44 pm »
*** hp 436A Power Meter ***

Arrival today via FedEx. Packing was good. Double-boxed with peanuts in-between. Unboxing supervisor (Maxim) approved. Peanuts looked good to chew on, but request was denied.

The unit appears to be in good condition for the age. No major damage noted. She's listing to the left due to a missing rear foot. Due to this missing-foot syndrome of hp equipment, already have replacements on-hand. The transformer cover on the rear has some scratches left from some wanker removing a label. Otherwise looks good in the back.

Next up tomorrow: Will power up and check a few signals. I want to check the 220 Hz square wave drive for the sensor before connecting mine to it, no need to burn up something for no good reason I always say.  :P

Stay tuned for the latest updates - same Bat time, same Bat channel.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98356 on: August 20, 2021, 09:34:25 pm »
The infamous P6021 and P6022 current probes are AC only probes also and both can be paired with the Type 134 current probe amp for 50 ohm output.

Apart from not seeing the point of displaying a straight line on a scope I have a pair of nice 6 1/2 digit meters with logging capabilities and a set of really accurate shunts I can probe if needed for DC or near DC that I could easily look at on a scope channel if required.

So call me curious and it has been a while since I added to the TEA toys so I thought I should ;)

The -hp- one is AC-only, because they already offered the 428b which is the original DC clamp. It too has a scope compatible output. I actually haven't looked at it in a scope. Maybe I should, it's rated to 400Hz.

The hp probe for the hp 428A has more connections & a degaussing function built into the meter, link to journal for 428A here: http://hparchive.com/Journals/HPJ-1958-06.pdf
The hp AC-21F probe (renamed hp 1110A in the 60's) only has a coax cable/BNC, it dates back to 1959 and was first sold for use with the 154A plug-in for the 150A scope (I have these in my repair queue), journal link here: http://hparchive.com/Journals/HPJ-1959-05.pdf

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98357 on: August 20, 2021, 09:40:57 pm »
     There are 4 slots for memory modules which can be ROM, PROMs or 4K (!) of RAM.   It was open archetecture. It has a real time clock.  There was a printer and  several storage options.

The company I was working for made ROMS for it and sold it as part of a portable system for bomb damange assement.   

I didn't work on it, but asked about all the boxes of unused HP sitting around.  When the contract ended,   I bought all of the leftover 71Bs for next to nothing and gave most of them away.   I was not allowed to get near anything besides the new in box 71Bs.  The rest was probalby classified.

It's incredible when you think that the HPIB bus dates back to the late '60's and is still offered today on top dollar professional gear from Tek and HP.
Ethernet and RS-232 / UARTS look like they are following the same path...  Professionals just seem to like their old stuff... consumer stuff not so much eh ! How long did the VESA and AGP video bus last, 6 months ?!  ;D

I guess the pros are counting the beans and keeping a close eye on return on investments, whereas consumers just look for an excuse to spend money on the latest gadget, it's disposable...

Oh I wish I hadn't seen the HP 71B's mentioned again.

They were used by DWP here and turned up in a large pile at a hamfest for £1 each with HPIB barcode reader and memory pack. I snagged a load of them of course and played with them pre-ebay days and then I can't remember what happened but like hell I can find them anywhere. Been through three houses of shit so far and no sign of them :palm: :palm: :palm:.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98358 on: August 20, 2021, 09:43:35 pm »
Are any of you lot bidding on this? If not I'll ready my sniping reflexes with a clear conscience...   >:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165027010211

On my watch list now, but no plans to bid on it, good luck.

David

On my watchlist as well for entertainment reasons. Good luck from my side, too.  :)  :popcorn:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98359 on: August 20, 2021, 09:47:40 pm »

They were used by DWP here and turned up in a large pile at a hamfest for £1 each with HPIB barcode reader and memory pack. I snagged a load of them of course and played with them pre-ebay days and then I can't remember what happened but like hell I can find them anywhere. Been through three houses of shit so far and no sign of them :palm: :palm: :palm:.

One day, when you'd expect it at least, you'll stumble over a box, wondering what's inside and then *TADAAAAA!* you've found them.

Or your ex has sold them behind your back....

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98360 on: August 20, 2021, 09:51:35 pm »
While we are talking Fluke DMM's here, I have decided to pull the trigger on that new input jack block for the 85 meter, so once that arrives, the meter will be almost mint apart from a couple of light scuff marks on the rear of the yellow bumper, with nothing at all being visible from the front, so even if I can't get rid of the scuffs, it will still look very good from the front. As mnem stated, the meter is worth the extra expenditure and I have just sold some audio gear via GSP to a buyer in Dublin, so it is a no cost refurbishment to me  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98361 on: August 20, 2021, 09:58:11 pm »

I must admit, that I to quite like those 71B's, they look really nice and if I see one, I might be forced to snap it up. As to what happened to those you snatched at the hamfest, I suspect that they have more than likely already been flipped yonks ago, and you can't remember doing it  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98362 on: August 20, 2021, 10:10:22 pm »
I think my mother probably thought it was a random box of cables and took them to the charity shop who didn't know what they were and send them to the WEEE bin. Apparently that was the fate of my university textbooks. Three crates of EE books to the charity shop.

One for maxsaxel here. So I cocked up the non stick frying pan on my Trangia. Non stick my arse. Can I get a Duossal frypan for 25 stove in the UK? Nope. And if you order it directly it's £34. And then DHL ream you for customs which has the customs fee and then 2.5% with a minimum of £11 for handling.

Fuck Brexit!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #98363 on: August 20, 2021, 10:14:54 pm »
While we are talking Fluke DMM's here, I have decided to pull the trigger on that new input jack block for the 85 meter, so once that arrives, the meter will be almost mint apart from a couple of light scuff marks on the rear of the yellow bumper, with nothing at all being visible from the front, so even if I can't get rid of the scuffs, it will still look very good from the front.

As mnem stated, the meter is worth the extra expenditure and I have just sold some audio gear via GSP to a buyer in Dublin, so it is a no cost refurbishment to me  :-+

mnem
Thanks; I can stop cringing every time you mention it now. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98364 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:08 pm »

Vincent is a clever cookie and if you have time listen to the Amp Hour interview:

Thanks will have a listen... plenty of time now that I have been fired. Today just got the registered letter from the HR with my last check. Still have not opened the envelope as I am sure they "forgot" some of the money.. They always do, they just never knew how to count...  :--
It will drive me mad and I won't find sleep because of that. So I will sleep first and then tomorrow I will open it...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98365 on: August 20, 2021, 10:28:04 pm »
While we are talking Fluke DMM's here, I have decided to pull the trigger on that new input jack block for the 85 meter, so once that arrives, the meter will be almost mint apart from a couple of light scuff marks on the rear of the yellow bumper, with nothing at all being visible from the front, so even if I can't get rid of the scuffs, it will still look very good from the front.

As mnem stated, the meter is worth the extra expenditure and I have just sold some audio gear via GSP to a buyer in Dublin, so it is a no cost refurbishment to me  :-+

mnem
Thanks; I can stop cringing every time you mention it now. :-DD
Yeah, my other option I was exploring got blown clean out of the water. Not only was it far worse cosmetically with huge scars and chunks visible, but it also went for almost double what I paid and never even showed the input jacks either, and it had a display malfunction, so I think I was just a jammy git with mine ending its auction at just the wrong time for some bidders.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98366 on: August 20, 2021, 10:32:03 pm »

Thanks will have a listen... plenty of time now that I have been fired. Today just got the registered letter from the HR with my last check. Still have not opened the envelope as I am sure they "forgot" some of the money.. They always do, they just never knew how to count...  :--
It will drive me mad and I won't find sleep because of that. So I will sleep first and then tomorrow I will open it...
Sorry to hear your news, HR suck, they invariably get the wrong person to fire in my experience. Double check and make sure that they pay you everything that they owe you.  :(
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98367 on: August 20, 2021, 10:46:34 pm »
Correction to the explanatory post, the question on Discord was from Zucca not Neomys Sapiens.

Retarded design choice for me.

Man!  :-\

Calling hp retarded ... them's fightin' words in these parts.  :box:

Those calcutators...
Once i was lazy.. oh wait.. once i did not wanted to walk upstair and tried using my wifes HP financial calculator..
she is clearly way smarter than i am.  i am unable to use it.

Whereas I have difficulty predicting the answer !most calculators will give for 1+2*3=. One of my Casio calculators displayed 7, another displayed 9.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98368 on: August 20, 2021, 10:53:04 pm »

I usually open those things before bed because it gives me time to realise that going postal is not the best option after all  :-DD

Good luck though.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98369 on: August 20, 2021, 10:57:40 pm »

I usually open those things before bed because it gives me time to realise that going postal is not the best option after all  :-DD

Good luck though.

Except this one:

:)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, duckduck

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98370 on: August 20, 2021, 11:15:48 pm »
Sorry to hear your news, HR suck, they invariably get the wrong person to fire in my experience. Double check and make sure that they pay you everything that they owe you.  :(

No worries, no loss, this job (sub contractor in the aero industry mostly) and company turned into a complete shit-show in the recent years.  10 years ago they hired me to work as qualified technician in air frame quality control at Airbus, on the A350 and A400. Was cool. The company was hiring good technicians and put them in high added value positions / missions. That was my first job straight out of my year training in aviation. Thought hey that's a great start, can't wait to see what the future holds !  Sadly CEO decided to sell the company (small 100 people company), to a big 4000 people company, "TRIGO", who was on a complete different wavelength and business model : they were into very low profile people doing extremely low value missions, in the automotive industry.

For the first few years the influence of that new management did not show too much, they let us do our thing, so I didn't care too much. However 3.5 years ago we lost all missions at the Airbus plant because of marketing/ commercial reasons, so they recycled me down the road at an ex Airbus plant (now "Stelia Aerospace, and "Aerolia" prior to that), where there is no aircraft to be seen. All they do is manufacture individual aluminium parts for the aircraft. Extruded parts to make 6 meter long seat rails, machined cross beams, stamped skins panels, tubes and pipes, folded parts like brackets of all sorts, fittings, frames, stringers.... all you need to make an Aircraft. It's fun for the first 3 days. Then the reality strikes : all you do all day long is print drawings, put the parts on the table and measure everything with calipers and whatnot. Boring as hell. Was hoping 3 months later we would get back to Airbus and I could again do cool stuff... but 3.5 years later still no missisn for Airbus, still stuck with my calipers.

Last November company fired 55% or so of the people due to COVID. Negociated criteria with the Union, so had to obey these criteria. That meant they were forced to fire people that met their "vision", and were forced to keep people like me who did not fit any more. So since then, they kept harassing the "old" guys like me, the qualified techs, so they leave. Every time one of them left, they would immediately replace it with one of the guys the fired 6 months ago unwillingly. See ?  Tehy are finishing the job so to speak... firing the remaining ones they did not manage to fire in November, and calling back those that they did fire but did not want to.  Now all they have are monkeys that never went to school, have 2 neurons one of which is only par time, that literally can't read / decipher a drawing (many confuse dotted lines and solid lines...), and none of the can use calipers properly, so they measure bullshit but they don't care. Also, none of them can read a vernier. So each (numerous) time that they break their digital calipers or micrometer, well they stop working because they don't know how to use the "analog" tools...

So, I would have left anyway pretty soon, anyway.
Now they have what they want. An army of monkeys they can pay cheaply and that never complains. I am glad all this shit show is now behind them. I would not want to come back even they gave me a big rise. In 10 years all I got was a 25 euro rise, and even then I almost didn't get it, it was kinda an accident...

I prefer to be unemployed and live off of crappy subsidies, eat potatoes and pasta all day, rather than having to keep working for them !

I am now toying with the idea of giving up aviation altogether and coming back to the electronics industry. Retrospectively, it's technically a million times more interesting. Problem is, it does not pay at all.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:18:49 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, syau, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98371 on: August 20, 2021, 11:16:49 pm »

Thanks will have a listen... plenty of time now that I have been fired.
The Amp Hour interview was a few years back and Vincent has moved onto bigger and brighter things where now IIRC he leads a team of automotive system designers for one of the BIG US car manufacturers.
If you hunt trough his posts he's also in charge of some 20 Altium designers and has the system linking all his teams work to one another while they bash PCB's into shape.
Real interesting stuff IMO.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98372 on: August 20, 2021, 11:41:43 pm »
I prefer to be unemployed and live off of crappy subsidies, eat potatoes and pasta all day, rather than having to keep working for them !

I am now toying with the idea of giving up aviation altogether and coming back to the electronics industry. Retrospectively, it's technically a million times more interesting. Problem is, it does not pay at all.

Come to software. Good pay. Good working conditions. Work just as pointless. Most of the time no one dies if you fuck up. No risk of imposter syndrome as no one knows what they’re doing at all  :-DD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98373 on: August 20, 2021, 11:48:31 pm »
Just downloaded the MP3 file of the interview...  3H18min !!  :scared: 

It's already 01H40 here so to late to listen to it even in my bed to find sleep !

Postponed to tomorrow...

Did have a quick look on the AmpHour website for the highlights so, and immediately found something interesting  ! ;D
Guy says " The 6502/8051 is used because…it’s royalty free. "  ... now I understand why I still brand new, frshly designed MUC's featuring an ancient 8051 core !  :scared:   At 10 years ago I used to think year it's to protect "investments", companies have engineers trained and good at coding the 8051, they have all the tools, they are productive with them, why do you wan tto throw all that away. But it's 2021 come on....
OK so I now the real reason now !  :-DD

Have nothing against the 8051 mind you. In 1996 at school I learned MCU design and assembler on this puppy, because that's what they used at school. They had " CEIBO " demo boards running a 80C552, the most state of the art 8051 variant back in the day IIRC !  ;D
Loved that thing.  So simple. Does show you just how much you can do with very little. Kids today think you need Linux a 32 bit 4 core CPU and 4 gigs of ram to blink an LED.  :-//

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98374 on: August 21, 2021, 12:12:38 am »
Come to software. Good pay. Good working conditions. Work just as pointless. Most of the time no one dies if you fuck up. No risk of imposter syndrome as no one knows what they’re doing at all  :-DD

Yeah I would if I could !

Problem is that I can't even wrap my head around my Android smarphone, or my ADSL box Wifi features.
My command line abilities are limited to 10 commands.
I use Linux because I can't wrap my head around the windows user interface, it makes me sick and my head hurt. Had no choice but use Win7 and Win 10 at work, but I had the IT support guy to cope with all the crap, not me, so it was kinda barable given I was paid to be there.

I remember 20 years ago when I first started using Linux (mostly because my SCSI AGFA scanner would not work when I switched fro Win95 to XP, but it worked out of the box with Linux), I used to laugh at the "Debian people "who kept using the same Debian release on their SERVERS for 3 years.

Now, for my HOME computer I am now running a 5+ year old Linux distro and have NO intention to upgrade anytime soon !!!  Just because upgrading is nothing but new bugs and regressions and I don't want to deal with that !
Now I value the "if it ain't broke do'nt fix it "approach as I get older !

Nope, I am definitely not an IT guy.... I am glad there are high profiles like you out there who actually know how to deal with all that shit, because sure as hell I could not, even given a million dollar...
end of year I plan to replace my 15 year old coputer (Core2udo), and would like to get a second computer to put in the lab, and network them, and have a RAID NAS or something to back up data and share data, and some swithc or router thingy so that the two computers can share the internet connexion from the ADSL modem. That's ultra basic stuff by taodays standard, but to me it's like building an alien space ship would be more intuitive.
I will have to leanr all that network stuff from the ground up and it makes me shiver already...  I just learned there are CAT7 cables... so far I though CAT5 was the latest and greatest. Things have moved on it seems...
I don't even know what CAT rating the house builder put in my house, can I even find that out somehow ? I fear I might have to install new cables to get the required performance...

Anyway.... time to eat some pasta. 2AM and I just cooked pasta... I am on a slippery slope !  :scared:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:15:54 am by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf