Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16507251 times)

Robert763 and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98325 on: August 20, 2021, 02:17:12 pm »
Those calcutators...
Once i was lazy.. oh wait.. once i did not wanted to walk upstair and tried using my wifes HP financial calculator..
she is clearly way smarter than i am.  i am unable to use it.

Oh, wife in finance warning: Make sure she doesn't calculate the return on investment of your TEA, you may get lectured.

McBryce.

no questions, no lies.  :-DD

No wife, no fucking issue.  ::) ;D

Edit, and this is the icing on the cake.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:21:50 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98326 on: August 20, 2021, 02:22:28 pm »
Genuine LMAO on that one. So fucking true.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98327 on: August 20, 2021, 03:03:26 pm »
I meant to post this here, but without realizing it was in the WDYBT thread the other day.  Reposting now for the intended audience.

Found a new mug for coffee/TEA folks to search for:

It's a bit smaller and more delicate than the heavier bue Tek and green HP mugs I've previously gotten, but definitely an unusual one - never saw this kind before.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98328 on: August 20, 2021, 04:02:48 pm »
I think 1954 was the first year Tek started their own CRT manufacturing and stopped buying the RCA rejects.

1996 is most likely the end of CRT production.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98329 on: August 20, 2021, 04:38:22 pm »
https://www.raytechnote.com/how-to-fix-cisco-solid-green-syst-led-light-no-connection-no-console/

No worries WIFE hairdryer fix it!

Was about to pull the trigger on eBay for another $400 switch when I found your post. Used the WIFE’s hair dryer for a minute or so with the heat sink still in place because I could not remove it easily.

THANK YOU!

:horse:  :bullshit:

:popcorn:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98330 on: August 20, 2021, 04:49:31 pm »
Are any of you lot bidding on this? If not I'll ready my sniping reflexes with a clear conscience...   >:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165027010211
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98331 on: August 20, 2021, 04:57:18 pm »
Are any of you lot bidding on this? If not I'll ready my sniping reflexes with a clear conscience...   >:D

Doesn't ship to USA or else I might have considered it.  ;D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98332 on: August 20, 2021, 04:58:50 pm »

Good luck - it's a nice meter.  Damn, s/n 469 - that's an early one!!

https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-8200A-Digital-Voltmeter

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98333 on: August 20, 2021, 05:10:54 pm »

it's on my watch list.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98334 on: August 20, 2021, 05:17:48 pm »

it's on my watch list.

:box:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #98335 on: August 20, 2021, 05:59:34 pm »
Try this then:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Dr-x78wz-uZdkzvshWVjGXjGy2Vh7PT1&ll=3.607207764165196%2C0&z=2

I get just the same as before.

Same up here in the GWN. I don't feel obligated enough to Gurrgle to sign into my account just to follow a link. Furk 'em.

mnem
 :-//

I tried it out, assuming it was not going to work.

I got the message "Signed in as SWMBO"  Huh?  This is MY computer  :scared: :wtf:
It then said I need to ask the map owner for access.

Somehow, I think we need a more public/anonymous solution

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98336 on: August 20, 2021, 06:06:57 pm »
Some people read poetry....I found something else:

Bretherick's Handbook of Reactive Chemical Hazards

My, what an enticing and beautiful lecture!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98337 on: August 20, 2021, 06:11:44 pm »
https://www.raytechnote.com/how-to-fix-cisco-solid-green-syst-led-light-no-connection-no-console/

No worries WIFE hairdryer fix it!

Was about to pull the trigger on eBay for another $400 switch when I found your post. Used the WIFE’s hair dryer for a minute or so with the heat sink still in place because I could not remove it easily.

THANK YOU!

:horse:  :bullshit:

:popcorn:

I've got a little 2940 that I resurrected. It did not even light any diodes. Of course, it was Rule 9. Capacitors... I ended up recapping the entire SMPS, which is a pretty small history, one 3,3V rail.  It's a very nice form factor; 8 FE and one GE, all copper, and it's fanless. Unfortunately, it's so old that the last available IOS for it won't do SSH, so if I want to remote it, TELNET it is.. It's currently not in use, because the reasonable place for it, out-of-band network for IPMI, management, etc.  requires more ports.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98338 on: August 20, 2021, 06:24:47 pm »

it's on my watch list.

It’s now on my watch list so I can watch you lot fight over it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98339 on: August 20, 2021, 07:15:22 pm »
Correction to the explanatory post, the question on Discord was from Zucca not Neomys Sapiens.

Retarded design choice for me.

Man!  :-\

Calling hp retarded ... them's fightin' words in these parts.  :box:

I use this HP   calculator all the time.  I've owned it since new and it still works perfectly.   

I also have an HP-71B, which I never use anymore.  I turned it on a few weeks ago. Still works.    It has HP-IL and can control external devices.    HP made an HP-IB  (IEEE 488)  interface for it, which I don't have.     I bought a stack of them new in box from a former employer.  I gave most of them away but kept this one.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, exor, wolfy007, bd139

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98340 on: August 20, 2021, 07:20:35 pm »

Not me.  No room on my bench until I fix this Dana 5100. 

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98341 on: August 20, 2021, 07:30:00 pm »
I also have an HP-71B,  It has HP-IL and can control external devices.    HP made an HP-IB  (IEEE 488)  interface for it, which I don't have.   

HPIB on a calculator ?!  :wtf:

I wonder what use case HP was thinking of for professionals to want that ?!  :o

Maybe because the bus is so old, late '60s / early '70's, no laptop back then, so using the calculator with an interface was like a portable solution to go work on HPIB gear on the shop floor ?  Useful for technicians to set up and maintain devices " in the field " / on site ?  You could make a iittle test program on the calculator to do some basic trouleshooting ?

But I guess htere must have been better solutions even back then, some portable and dedicated piece of test gear custom designed to work on HPIB stuff...
But well, it was probably very expensive so the calculator with an interface was still a good solution for simple needs and lower budget. Lighter to carry around as well I guess.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:33:01 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #98342 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:13 pm »

it's on my watch list.

It’s now on my watch list so I can watch you lot fight over it  :-DD

If you are looking for a teardown..

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, FransW, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98343 on: August 20, 2021, 07:40:16 pm »

I also have an HP-71B, which I never use anymore.  I turned it on a few weeks ago. Still works.    It has HP-IL and can control external devices.    HP made an HP-IB  (IEEE 488)  interface for it, which I don't have.     I bought a stack of them new in box from a former employer.  I gave most of them away but kept this one.

It is totally obvious that you need an HP3468 then!

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98344 on: August 20, 2021, 07:46:58 pm »
I also have an HP-71B,  It has HP-IL and can control external devices.    HP made an HP-IB  (IEEE 488)  interface for it, which I don't have.   

HPIB on a calculator ?!  :wtf:

I wonder what use case HP was thinking of for professionals to want that ?!  :o

Maybe because the bus is so old, late '60s / early '70's, no laptop back then, so using the calculator with an interface was like a portable solution to go work on HPIB gear on the shop floor ?  Useful for technicians to set up and maintain devices " in the field " / on site ?  You could make a iittle test program on the calculator to do some basic trouleshooting ?

But I guess htere must have been better solutions even back then, some portable and dedicated piece of test gear custom designed to work on HPIB stuff...
But well, it was probably very expensive so the calculator with an interface was still a good solution for simple needs and lower budget. Lighter to carry around as well I guess.

There are 4 slots for memory modules which can be ROM, PROMs or 4K (!) of RAM.   It was open archetecture. It has a real time clock.  There was a printer and  several storage options.

It could easily be used in an automated test rack or as a data logger.

The company I was working for made ROMS for it and sold it as part of a portable system for bomb damange assement.   

I didn't work on it, but asked about all the boxes of unused HP sitting around.  When the contract ended,   I bought all of the leftover 71Bs for next to nothing and gave most of them away.   I was not allowed to get near anything besides the new in box 71Bs.  The rest was probalby classified.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:49:25 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98345 on: August 20, 2021, 07:47:45 pm »

It is totally obvious that you need an HP3468 then!

Indeed.   I can live without the card reader, but I'd like a couple of the RAM modules :)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98346 on: August 20, 2021, 07:55:18 pm »
     There are 4 slots for memory modules which can be ROM, PROMs or 4K (!) of RAM.   It was open archetecture. It has a real time clock.  There was a printer and  several storage options.

It could easily be used in an automated test rack or as a data logger.

The company I was working for made ROMS for it and sold it as part of a portable system for bomb damange assement.   

I didn't work on it, but asked about all the boxes of unused HP sitting around.  When the contract ended,   I bought all of the leftover 71Bs for next to nothing and gave most of them away.   I was not allowed to get near anything besides the new in box 71Bs.  The rest was probalby classified.

Well, thanks for the info, interesting indeed ! :-+

It's incredible when you think that the HPIB bus dates back to the late '60's and is still offered today on top dollar professional gear from Tek and HP.
Ethernet and RS-232 / UARTS look like they are following the same path...  Professionals just seem to like their old stuff... consumer stuff not so much eh ! How long did the VESA and AGP video bus last, 6 months ?!  ;D

I guess the pros are counting the beans and keeping a close eye on return on investments, whereas consumers just look for an excuse to spend money on the latest gadget, it's disposable...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:11:37 pm by Vince »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98347 on: August 20, 2021, 08:05:06 pm »
@AVGresponding, I'll keep it on my watch list but will not bid on it as it is way to long to fit into my working array of TE and as Tony has discovered, there is a shortage of manuals for it as well, so sorry bd, there will be no fighting over it from this direction, if AVG wants it, I'll not stand in his way  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98348 on: August 20, 2021, 08:44:47 pm »
@AVGresponding, I'll keep it on my watch list but will not bid on it as it is way to long to fit into my working array of TE and as Tony has discovered, there is a shortage of manuals for it as well, so sorry bd, there will be no fighting over it from this direction, if AVG wants it, I'll not stand in his way  :phew:

And since it doesn't ship here, and would cost a mint anyway if did, I won't be bidding either. If it were here it would be game on.  ;D But truth be told I have enough DMM's anyway.

Wait, did I just say that? I must be ill. Someone call an ambulance.   :o :D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98349 on: August 20, 2021, 08:50:10 pm »
I do like me a Fluke nixie meter, but I'll not be going mad on the bidding; already have 2x 8300A's...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf