Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16508709 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98275 on: August 20, 2021, 08:54:51 am »
I need to check the OP to be sure, but I don't think we've had "you know you're a TE addict when you use a new toothbrush to clean rusty transistors rather than your teeth".

Tesco website is a bit fooked atm, DDOS? Needed more toothbrushes...   :-X

Had all the topside boards out of the 5245L, gently cleaned (not gently enough, a rusty transistor leg broke, plugging the Metcal in right now), adjusted some clearances (some of those TO-5 case were, shall we say, inadvertently thermally coupled?).
Swapped some display boards around, and as soon as I've fixed that tranny leg on the A18 display board I'll give it a burl.

Who uses their teeth to clean transistors?

Same people that use their teeth to strip wire insulation.
No no no, to clean those transistors you don't need teeth or toothbrushes, what you need are wire brushes to remove the rust flakes.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98276 on: August 20, 2021, 08:59:51 am »

Added a charge line to my pulser. Next step is working on better shaping of the pulse top....but that's another day's problem.  >:D

Also got a wild pic while experimenting with a long exposure app on my phone. I think the lighting confused it.

Ooooh.... artsy.

"Electric Fuzz" would be a good title.

mnem
or maybe "Bad Hair Day"...

Sell it as a NFA  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98277 on: August 20, 2021, 09:11:47 am »
I need to check the OP to be sure, but I don't think we've had "you know you're a TE addict when you use a new toothbrush to clean rusty transistors rather than your teeth".

Had all the topside boards out of the 5245L, gently cleaned (not gently enough, a rusty transistor leg broke, plugging the Metcal in right now), adjusted some clearances (some of those TO-5 case were, shall we say, inadvertently thermally coupled?).
Swapped some display boards around, and as soon as I've fixed that tranny leg on the A18 display board I'll give it a burl.

I got cured of that habit as a teenager when I used my teeth to strip a bit of zip cord. Only to find my brother had plugged the other end in to a 240V outlet with out me noticing.  :scared:
That hurt  :o

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98278 on: August 20, 2021, 09:14:03 am »
There was a vintage slightly crusty HP current probe available on evilbay in Oz  >:D eBay auction: #165025864057

Here's another one -- not as cheap but still interesting. NAWTS, of course.

There is a big difference between the HP and the Tek (apart from obvious colour and age). The HP is AC only, the Tek is AC and DC.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98279 on: August 20, 2021, 09:27:09 am »

I got cured of that habit as a teenager when I used my teeth to strip a bit of zip cord. Only to find my brother had plugged the other end in to a 240V outlet with out me noticing.  :scared:

Eeek!

The nearest I got to that was when testing my sound-to-light box. I touched the SCR's live case with one hand and a neutral track with the other. Fortunately it was only a light touch, my biceps uncontrollable contracted, and I dropped the board. Shocking in two ways! :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98280 on: August 20, 2021, 09:46:37 am »
There was a vintage slightly crusty HP current probe available on evilbay in Oz  >:D eBay auction: #165025864057

There is a big difference between the HP and the Tek (apart from obvious colour and age). The HP is AC only, the Tek is AC and DC.
Which Tek ?  :-//
The infamous P6021 and P6022 current probes are AC only probes also and both can be paired with the Type 134 current probe amp for 50 ohm output.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #98281 on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:25 am »

Which Tek ?  :-//
The infamous P6021 and P6022 current probes are AC only probes also and both can be paired with the Type 134 current probe amp for 50 ohm output.

Apart from not seeing the point of displaying a straight line on a scope I have a pair of nice 6 1/2 digit meters with logging capabilities and a set of really accurate shunts I can probe if needed for DC or near DC that I could easily look at on a scope channel if required.

So call me curious and it has been a while since I added to the TEA toys so I thought I should ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98282 on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:33 am »

And your still here to tell the tale, were you standing on a nice thick rubber mat by any chance at the time?  :-// :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98283 on: August 20, 2021, 10:09:07 am »
Anybody here in Germany interested in a Keysight 34138A test lead set? (NAWTS)

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/keysight-34138a-test-lead-set/1850482996-168-16385

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98284 on: August 20, 2021, 10:13:27 am »
Ok, I fixed the broken TO-5 tranny leg. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a master of ghetto fab...

The two dead digits are confirmed deader than dead things, I'll buzz the trannys out but I suspect a case of terminal inside-the-potted-box-itis, which is to say the interface between the drivers and the nixies is that weird lamp box that has to do with the
Well this is strange, one of them is trying to light now... time to start buzzing out trannys and especially those carbon craposition resistors. Also "thou shalt check voltages"... hmmm...

My guess is you soldered a bit of capacitor leg to the case of the transistor...?

mnem

Nope, I soldered the two parts of the transistor leg back together, in circuit. I didn't even check if it was the collector tbh.

Pardon me for using the idiom instead of re-establishing context. "you know you're a TE addict when you use a new toothbrush to clean rusty transistors rather than to clean your teeth".

No no no, to clean those transistors you don't need teeth or toothbrushes, what you need are wire brushes to remove the rust flakes.

That would have resulted in instant destruction, even with my Dremel-style soft brass or fibre brushes. These are TO-5 transistors with 0.6mm diameter legs before they got corroded.

And your still here to tell the tale, were you standing on a nice thick rubber mat by any chance at the time?  :-// :phew:

Since he was sucking on both line and neutral simultaneously, the earthing arrangement is largely irrelevant.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/keysight-34138a-test-lead-set/1850482996-168-16385

@Saskia, after you!   :-X
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98285 on: August 20, 2021, 10:25:27 am »

I ordered two sets in 2020 from an ebay seller levin97 for €10,- per set.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98286 on: August 20, 2021, 10:43:35 am »

I ordered two sets in 2020 from an ebay seller levin97 for €10,- per set.

Yes, I did that, too.
But looking at the current results makes this offer of 25 EUR somewhat attractive.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=34138A&_sacat=0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #98287 on: August 20, 2021, 10:45:30 am »
I do not know what is worst: RIFA or Win11.
I think the disappointment to the users will be comparable.

RIFAs contaminate the whole room (or more), not just the laptop. :-DD
Yes, but the stench from a RIFA explosion dissipates in a couple of weeks. I suspect we will be afflicted with Win11 for much longer than that.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, scl, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98288 on: August 20, 2021, 10:56:31 am »
Tucked away in the TEA closet but readily accessible. Total cost of materials, excluding stain and poly which I had on hand, was approx $130 USD.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #98289 on: August 20, 2021, 11:22:07 am »
Ok, I fixed the broken TO-5 tranny leg. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a master of ghetto fab...

The two dead digits are confirmed deader than dead things, I'll buzz the trannys out but I suspect a case of terminal inside-the-potted-box-itis, which is to say the interface between the drivers and the number readout bulb is that weird lamp box that has to do with the
Well this is strange, one of them is trying to light now... time to start buzzing out trannys and especially those carbon craposition resistors. Also "thou shalt check voltages"... hmmm...

The carbon resistors weren't that bad, I had to strip some of them from a later board (from Sphere) & repopulate it with salvaged parts (some slighty out of tolerance), to match the earlier parts list from the 20MHz 5243L, it worked fine after that.  :-+
It got posted here some time ago, the traces on the photo-resistor plate had been eaten by corrosion too.
The transistors got downgraded from Silicon to Germanium as well, as per the original damaged board.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3453170/#msg3453170

Re: the number readout bulbs, two in my 5248M were completely dead, due to the glass being cracked from pin corrosion (BD, the previous owner did what you said, cleaned it & dumped it back on ePay for me to buy) and the 5243L had one bulb that was missing a number 6, it was found to be no longer connected inside the bulb.

David
I had the same problem with my 5245Ls with erratic performance of some of the Nixies. Corrosion on the Nixie pins caused micro cracking to the seals letting some of the neon out or letting air in.

If you have good brightness on the Nixies but some numbers don't display or it flickers between numbers check the operation of the neons in the decoder/latch module. I found considerable variation in the firing voltages of these neons making the latch function and decoding erratic.

However, I can't really complain about these faults though as I only paid $25 for a pair of 5245Ls together with some extra plug-ins.

The following users thanked this post: factory, AVGresponding

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98290 on: August 20, 2021, 11:36:50 am »
Added a charge line to my pulser. Next step is working on better shaping of the pulse top....but that's another day's problem.  >:D

Also got a wild pic while experimenting with a long exposure app on my phone. I think the lighting confused it.

Funky !

Can we have a pic with a clean pulse and time base setting so we can measure the rise time ?  ;D

And forgive the stupid newbie question but what is a "charge line" ,  not much info online to my dismay. Found " charging line " or "line charging", often not even pertaining to electronics...

What does it consist of, its role and how why did you expect it might modify the rise time (in your last post you said rise time without charge line was irrelevant ) ?  I mean I can see it lengthens the pulse of course, but what's the impact on rise time ?

Thanks !  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:00:15 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98291 on: August 20, 2021, 11:43:14 am »
Question, for those of you who have the 575. I just saw this pop up on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284416799976

At $520 for BIN, or even $400 for bidding sounds pricey to me, but I'm not at all familiar with it's historical selling prices. What do you think is a good going price for a 575 in unknown condition?

Don't know squat about the US market, but in Frog land it would already be sold...

Price is typical and given it looks brand new cosmetically, it would sold at that price within 5 minutes, even if we don't even know if it powers up (main transformer or CRT might be damaged, show stopper), just because they are so rare.

Seems to me the people here/frog land who are looking for old Tek stuff are the older guys retired with lots of cash and time to search ads. They always arrive first and buy pretty much regardless of price or condition, because the 575 is just too rare and in high demand. So basically anything that comes up is immediately sold. You buy first, and sort the details afterwards.... basically like what I am doing with mine right now...

The following users thanked this post: AaronLee

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98292 on: August 20, 2021, 11:47:03 am »
Oh, I "accidentally" acquired a lot of 18 outside micrometers on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOBLOT-18x-MITUTOYO-STARRETT-MOORE-WRIGHT-OUTSIDE-MICROMETERS-TOOLS-/265270785540
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98293 on: August 20, 2021, 11:48:31 am »

Funky !

Can we have a pic with a clean pulse and time base setting so we can measure the rise time ?  ;D

And forgive the stupid newbie question but is a "charge line" ,  not much info online to my dismay. Found " charging line " or "line charging", often not even pertaining to electronics...

What does it consist of, its role and how why did you expect it might modify the rise time (in your last post you said rise time without charge line was irrelevant ) ?  I mean I can see it lengthens the pulse of course, but what's the impact on rise time ?

Thanks !  ;D

The charge line is simply a coaxial cable where it's capacitance has been used.

Here is my charge line:

This is the schematic of the Jim-Williams fast pulse generator:

C1 is essentially the capacitance of the coax cable.

HTH

Edit:

Here has somebody made a charge line on the PCB:

Source:
http://www.siliconvalleygarage.com/projects/picosecond-pulser.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:07:09 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98294 on: August 20, 2021, 11:54:36 am »
Question for RPN hp calculators lovers.

I set mode ENG with 3 decimal digit.
I recall pi and I get
Code: [Select]
3.142E0fine with me!

Then I multiply by 100 and I get
314.2E0what?  :--
Expected:
314.159E0
I know internally is all good (by pressing "SHOW" you get the full number) but my understanding of mode ENG 3 is:
XXX.YYYENwhere the XXX digits are optional and the three YYY must be shown since I selected 3. Of course N is a multiple of 3.

It looks like it shows what make sense to the math considering the starting number NOT what it the closest number to the current internal one.

My TI-68 was not like that....

PS: I compromise now by selecting ENG 4 as mode.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98295 on: August 20, 2021, 11:57:34 am »

Apart from not seeing the point of displaying a straight line on a scope I have a pair of nice 6 1/2 digit meters with logging capabilities and a set of really accurate shunts I can probe if needed for DC or near DC that I could easily look at on a scope channel if required.

So call me curious and it has been a while since I added to the TEA toys so I thought I should ;)

The -hp- one is AC-only, because they already offered the 428b which is the original DC clamp. It too has a scope compatible output. I actually haven't looked at it in a scope. Maybe I should, it's rated to 400Hz.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98296 on: August 20, 2021, 12:03:47 pm »
The charge line is simply a coaxial cable where it's capacitance has been used.

Here is my charge line:

This is the schematic of the Jim-Williams fast pulse generator:

C1 is essentially the capacitance of the coax cable.

HTH

Thanks, clear and concise, you should teach !  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98297 on: August 20, 2021, 12:06:29 pm »
Question for RPN hp calculators lovers.

I just wrote this up before you posted ...

So last night when the forum was down I was on Discord and Zucca was wondering why his hp 42S was displaying what seemed to him to be a wrong number of digits after the radix. I have the original manual but it doesn't really explain this very well.

For example, he set the display to ENG 03. He then recalled pi and was presented with

3.124E0

I believe he then multiplied by 10 and viewed this

31.42E0

He was not sure why it didn't display three decimal places like this

31.416E0

^^^ that is what it displays when I set it to ENG 04 (it rounds the last digit up from 5 to 6).

Well, it is operating exactly as it should. I also have a newer hp 35s which operates exactly the same way.

If you set the display to FIX 03, it will FIX the decimal places to always show 3. But that isn't how ENG and SCI mode works. What does this mean then: ENG 03? It means it will display 3 digits after the first digit. It does not mean three decimal places.

You can read the manual for the excellent Free42 PC application which works just like the real calculator (one of which I own) -

2.6.4 The ENG function 
The ENG function puts the calculator in engineering notation. It looks like scientific notation but now
the first number does not need to be between 0 and 1 but can be between 0 and 1000 and the power
will be always 3 manifold (corresponding to the magnitude prefixes such as milli-, micro-, kilo-,
mega-, etc. used in engineering units).  For example: 100 will be represented by 100.E0 in ENG 2
mode while 1000 will be 1.00E3 in the same mode. Why do we get 100.E0 for 100 instead of
100.00E2 in ENG 2 mode? Because the calculator shows in engineering mode the same number of
digits it shows in scientific mode.

https://thomasokken.com/free42/doc/42s.pdf

Corrected: The question was from Zucca Not Neomys Sapiens
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:32:53 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, bd139, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98298 on: August 20, 2021, 12:06:37 pm »
It's my first Agilent.

Nice horse! Agilent PSU are they only one I would buy if I had not sold my soul to TTi!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:08:42 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, duckduck

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98299 on: August 20, 2021, 12:12:07 pm »
Because the calculator shows in engineering mode the same number of
digits it shows in scientific mode.

Retarded design choice for me.