Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16511234 times)

nu3e and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98125 on: August 19, 2021, 02:06:43 am »
This is stop motion. Done right.

Heh... that made my LegoManiac son actually put down Zelda to watch.  :-DD

mnem
Well-played.  :clap:
I would argue that this is best stop-motion done for many years.
https://youtu.be/41BX9zn_qZo

mnem
*couch-tuber time widda boi*
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:19:47 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98126 on: August 19, 2021, 02:27:44 am »
was about to try to clean this off.

then realized that it gives my 2366 a back story.

what would they do with an Oscope on an old rustbucket like that?

(and how did they get the hull number wrong?)   edit  never mind....when you blow it up it does say 448.

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/naval-subjects-collection/l45--us-navy-ships/121-140/l45-132-05-01-uss-illusive--mso-448-.html
And how do you think that mines are swept? Those visible antennas should have given less reason for T&M activities than the magnetic protection system, the influence sweep, the mine detection sonar...

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98127 on: August 19, 2021, 06:45:10 am »
What did you try for temperature measurement? The Pt100?

Great. Turns out, the meter is not broken. I'm an idiot. Thanks for pointing it out. :-)

It has two modes:

St1 is "Mo", no idea what kind of sensor it expects there. Anyone has an idea? (obviously doesn't work with Type K, as I have confirmed already.........)

St2 is "Pt", works perfectly with some Pt100 sensor that I use for PLC testing, see the picture.

I don't have the manual, so I'll just blame it on that to avoid the obvious question why I didn't just read the labeling on the device.

Ok, now you have me more baffled than a double baffle muzzle brake.
When I read your post I was optimistic to have an answer for the 'Mo' soon. Despite the fact that nothing rang in my brain - I have sources. Denkste. I perused every tome on sensors and temperature measurement within reach - without the slightest hint about a type of RTD (or even thermocouples or other sensors) identified by the 'Mo' designation. Also no hint of temperature measurement using molybdenum. Even a 3-volume work on measurement of non-electrical quantities - Nullinger.

So what else could it mean? Monel? Metal oxide? Motorschutzfuehler? The latter would make some sense in a multimeter for industrial purposes, if one could check on the function of the commonly used thermistors for the protection of windings.
The range although seems congruent with the definition for Ni-type RTDs. But how does one arrive at 'Mo' from 'Ni'?
Also, as you might have already found out, no manual to be found on the web. We have to get behind that 'Mo'!

I switched it to "St1 = Mo" Mode and played with some restor values until I found measurements. Then I tried some simple unprecise characteristics for it. R is the nominal restistor value, U is the voltage measured across the resistor, °C is the displayed temperature on the Normameter 940:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98128 on: August 19, 2021, 06:55:47 am »

"Electronics for dogs" and "Spare Track" does it for me. W & G deserve a very special place in the Pantheon of moving pictures, indeed.

(One should perhaps think about the resources available to Rymdreglage and Aardman, respectively -- the former is a rural 2-man hobby operation, while someone paid Aardman. )

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98129 on: August 19, 2021, 07:04:33 am »
was about to try to clean this off.

then realized that it gives my 2366 a back story.

what would they do with an Oscope on an old rustbucket like that?

(and how did they get the hull number wrong?)   edit  never mind....when you blow it up it does say 448.

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/naval-subjects-collection/l45--us-navy-ships/121-140/l45-132-05-01-uss-illusive--mso-448-.html

It's a minesweeper. Jam packed with electronics. Radio, Radar, sonar, magnetic sweeps and most importantly the TV and VCR in the mess.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98130 on: August 19, 2021, 07:17:03 am »
Here I am wide awake at an ungodly hour of 0300 and already I'm involved in troubleshooting. Coffeemaker not working. This is serious.  :scared: It won't stay on and keeps shutting off. Lemme unplug it then replug. Still no joy. After several minutes checking and rechecking the issue finally hits me on the side of the head. There's no water in it you dummy.  :palm: Crisis averted. My cup runneth over.  :-+

Decided late yesterday to bring the scope cart in here so I can comfortably finish it. Coat of stain applied last night. Stunk up the place a bit but not overwhelming. This morning I'll get the door installed and start with the poly. Pictures later.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98131 on: August 19, 2021, 07:20:36 am »
What did you try for temperature measurement? The Pt100?

Great. Turns out, the meter is not broken. I'm an idiot. Thanks for pointing it out. :-)

It has two modes:

St1 is "Mo", no idea what kind of sensor it expects there. Anyone has an idea? (obviously doesn't work with Type K, as I have confirmed already.........)

St2 is "Pt", works perfectly with some Pt100 sensor that I use for PLC testing, see the picture.

I don't have the manual, so I'll just blame it on that to avoid the obvious question why I didn't just read the labeling on the device.

Any chance that the meter can do Moisture readings too?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98132 on: August 19, 2021, 07:23:52 am »
No guesses so another image.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98133 on: August 19, 2021, 07:26:39 am »

Do you have the pin out of that connector or are you going to have to reverse engineer it?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #98134 on: August 19, 2021, 07:29:09 am »

"Electronics for dogs" and "Spare Track" does it for me. W & G deserve a very special place in the Pantheon of moving pictures, indeed.

(One should perhaps think about the resources available to Rymdreglage and Aardman, respectively -- the former is a rural 2-man hobby operation, while someone paid Aardman. )
Re W&G, we have a dog who reminds me a lot of Grommit, so that makes me.........
😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98135 on: August 19, 2021, 07:42:25 am »

Without the manual and only very thin documentation available online your guess is as good as mine :-) ... I still hope that someone around here has a Normameter 900-950, Siemens B1024-B1028 and can provide me with (parts of) the manual to uncover the mistery.

However, moisture is most of the time measured in some percentage relative to some saturation point, so I would guess it's actually a temperature input.

My knowledge about temperature measurement is very limited to the standard types, RTD and NTC, and I rarely need to touch characteristics, so I can only guess. But based on the straight line, whatever it is, it looks still fine ;-)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98136 on: August 19, 2021, 07:43:42 am »

Ahh I saw that on the sold list when I saw your first message and went digging. Didn’t register as fitting the shape of the packaging. Looks interesting. Can’t wait for the tear down  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98137 on: August 19, 2021, 07:45:54 am »
Here I am wide awake at an ungodly hour of 0300 and already I'm involved in troubleshooting. Coffeemaker not working. This is serious.  :scared: It won't stay on and keeps shutting off. Lemme unplug it then replug. Still no joy. After several minutes checking and rechecking the issue finally hits me on the side of the head. There's no water in it you dummy.  :palm: Crisis averted. My cup runneth over.  :-+

Decided late yesterday to bring the scope cart in here so I can comfortably finish it. Coat of stain applied last night. Stunk up the place a bit but not overwhelming. This morning I'll get the door installed and start with the poly. Pictures later.

Low tech always wins when it comes to coffee availability. I get five nines out of this  :-DD.

When we had a power cut for several hours a while back, out came the Trangia and kettle. Very useful  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98138 on: August 19, 2021, 08:26:14 am »
Oh man another how not to package stuff video coming later.

TDS1052B-EDU arrived  :palm:

I’ll leave details for later. But it works. Only 20 (!) power cycles.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #98139 on: August 19, 2021, 08:29:52 am »
I'm not frantically driven by caffeine urgency - but I have someone who is.  When there was a scheduled power outage, I looked at the options and found nothing suitable.

This resulted in my (somewhat poetically) taking an empty coffee tin and making a billy out of it.  Checked it out on the gas BBQ - and it was quite successful.

Next morning - all worked as intended.  Crisis averted.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98140 on: August 19, 2021, 08:30:12 am »

Back in '00, my daughter was delighted to be given an original G to hold for a short while. She gave it back intact, too.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98141 on: August 19, 2021, 08:37:24 am »

Must be a rubidium frequency standard from a military navigation system.      I wouldn't be too surprised if there is an Efratom or Ball Aerospace-Efratom  rubidium clock inside the box.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:45:10 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98142 on: August 19, 2021, 08:38:34 am »

Re W&G, we have a dog who reminds me a lot of Grommit, so that makes me.........
😂

My daughter's dog is almost as intelligent as Grommit, but doesn't look much like him.

Here he is on top of his Brexit stockpile. Luckily he didn't hear/see a rat/mouse/cat; if he had he would have disappeared at 24mph. Yes, being the good engineer I strapped a GPS receiver to his harness and threw a ball for him. ISTR the 24mph is an average over ~3s. Not bad for something with 6inch legs; his spine flexes like a cheetah's spine :)

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: RtBNL, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98143 on: August 19, 2021, 08:50:53 am »

LOL, reminds me of a few weeks ago with wagon all packed up and off to the scratcher at a reasonable hour with the alarm clock set for 0430 to have a good hour to fully caffeine and leave at 0530 to get across town before the morning rush sets in what with a 8+hr drive in front of me.
Remember tossing and turning and a glance at the bedside clock showing midnight  :wtf: yet woke fresh as a daisy a 0300 !
Furk this I thought and got up then and after checking up on the goings on here hit the road at 0415. 8am and some 400km later it was time for a short break but being midwinter and near 0C outside the wagon and more miles under the belt looked more inviting.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98145 on: August 19, 2021, 10:23:22 am »
Quick TBS1052B post.

It arrived wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap with paper around it. When I opened it up there were a couple of very minor dinks in the case and a clip had popped out on the bottom but no hideous damage. I am going to tell the seller that they're fucking useless but credit due to Tektronix here: they built a scope that survives morons so far.

There are very few reviews out there for these scopes and I'm not doing one here at the moment either so I'll leave it at a few shots now:

Firstly the packaging. Just no. I have a video of it as well but need to blur my address out before uploading. Plenty of YT material coming in this week  :-DD

Visible dink  :palm:

Popped clip :palm:

Fortunately the dink hasn't done any serious damage and the clip just slotted back in fine.

Good news is it's basically new!

And it works fine

Phew but fuck that seller in particular  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

It's a fairly crap scope but do I get the jammy git award for paying less than £100 for it?  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:29:33 am by bd139 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98147 on: August 19, 2021, 11:08:48 am »

Phew but fuck that seller in particular  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

It's a fairly crap scope but do I get the jammy git award for paying less than £100 for it?  :-DD

So, you've got now an EDU-scope? Will you learn how to use a scope properly?  :-DD

And here is you award:

:-+ :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98148 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:55 am »
Here are some very salty prices on eBay UK >:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203536116840

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203536116856

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203536116837

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203536116813

I have three words for that seller.

"Ye mad cunt!"

... and then consider the "modern art" market.

Which famous actor said something to the effect of "never pay for art that you could have done yourself". Now I'd agree about Jackson Pollock and Damian Hurst, but a few Mondrian's are simple genius.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98149 on: August 19, 2021, 11:13:56 am »

Without the manual and only very thin documentation available online your guess is as good as mine :-) ... I still hope that someone around here has a Normameter 900-950, Siemens B1024-B1028 and can provide me with (parts of) the manual to uncover the mistery.

However, moisture is most of the time measured in some percentage relative to some saturation point, so I would guess it's actually a temperature input.

My knowledge about temperature measurement is very limited to the standard types, RTD and NTC, and I rarely need to touch characteristics, so I can only guess. But based on the straight line, whatever it is, it looks still fine ;-)

Well, Mo is the symbol for Molybdenum, and I found quite a few discussions of temperature sensors that have Mo (molybdenum) involved in the design of them. I don't know why Mo on the meter would mean anything else.  :-//

MOLYBDENUM (Mo):
Excellent mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. Melting point at 4750°F. Excellent in reducing or neutral atmospheres. It has low thermal-neutron capture cross-section and excellent thermal shock resistance. Poor in oxidizing atmospheres. Excellent for thermal cycling applications.

https://www.convectronics.com/Sensors26.php
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, Cymaphore

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf