Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18120236 times)

Aiy and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97875 on: August 16, 2021, 07:07:53 pm »
wooooohoooooo!   

will provide pictures if the poor thing is not too beat up.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #97876 on: August 16, 2021, 07:45:45 pm »
Anybody here from Germany with a much faster scope than my 100MHz RTB2004 which likes to test my crude Jim Williams pulse gen.?  :-/O  :D

Either TDS684 (500MHz 2Gs/s) or Tek DPO7354 (2.5/3.5GHz 40Gs/s)

Take care not to ruin the 50 Ohm GHz inputs. The signal has 20V pp!!...

Me. Keysight DSOS604A (6GHz). Send PM

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97877 on: August 16, 2021, 07:54:01 pm »
Meanwhile, for the aircraft fans among us, one of these trucks is now over at North Weald Airfield for a forth coming photoshoot with the Russian Spitfire, which is happening this week I think. The truck is a Zil 131 Anti Aircraft Missile transporter and I think it doubles as a launch vehicle, I may however be wrong on that point, but it certainly looks like it launch it.  :)

By the way, the missile is not there  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #97878 on: August 16, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
Another of the transparent cobalt blue Tek mugs has appeared on the bay, though be forewarned the seller wants crazy $$ for it.  Figure I'll put it out here just the same.  NAWTS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294337808614?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3Dc5b98641e34c4a08ab40f500d8d4cdd9%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D294337808614%26itm%3D294337808614%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276

-Pat

The seller just turned down my offer of $15 + shipping, so you'll have to do better than that.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97879 on: August 16, 2021, 09:08:42 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how they look with the lamps fitted!

:popcorn:

Not ever on my watch will that happen, so don't hold your breath. :D

Went to the Astle Park steam rally yesterday for a few hours, as you would expect mostly autojumble, modern junk & car-boot-sale crap for sale on the stalls (only the one trader that brings ex-mil tools & parts), but these lamp feet were spotted on one of the junk stalls, middle one looks a bit expired.  :wtf: I thought about buying the left one, but as I was parked in the far corner of the second parking field I decided not to (was already carrying a bag full of bits from the ex-mil stall).

And yes card/electronic payments are still not available in remote countryside locations here, as noted by all the messages on the food vans about them not working. |O

David

Did you ask how much he was asking for the highly illegal poaching traps?

McBryce.

I thought about it and decided it was best not to ask, in case I the price was too cheap to turn down.

Now they've dried out (yes it rained a lot) here are the pile of bits (mostly) from the ex-mil stall, total spend £18, got some shorter BNC cables, an N Tee, various random knobs, connectors & lampholders, etc.

Some top notch wiring of this power lead, hope it wasn't done by the MOD, but seeing as it's labelled Gyro table it may well have been.  :o

The Elliott Syncroverter switch may or may not be useable in my old TEA, I've got at least one item that uses a chopper switch similar to this one.

The set of feet are now attached to the third Hickok DMS system I have (the only one that works), can't understand why someone removed them, as the fixings hold the panel with the plug-in connector in place.

David
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:32:37 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97880 on: August 16, 2021, 09:09:03 pm »
Good eye, Vince.  Yes, it's 575, and is in the repair/restore queue.   

Great  8)  So that's 3 of these beats on TEA... you, me and Oculus.

Anybody else has one ? I wonder how many there are here...

Quote from: Cubdriver
I know for sure that the base step selector switch is mechanically stuck in the 'repetitive' position, and have not yet powered it up to learn what other evils may lurk therein. 

Hmmm.... funny you mention that, because I think that very switch on my unit is kaput too !  Not in the same way as yours, but still.

Just read the user manual to make sure I understand how it's supposed to behave, mechanically. I understand the "Repetitive" and "OFF" positions, are stable positions, and the third position, " Single Family" is spring loaded / momentary.

"OFF" and " Single Family "  behave properly, from a mechanical perspective. However when I flick the switch to the " Repetitive " position... it's just flapping in the breeze. It won't lock/click into place, and offers zero resistance. It just falls back to the OFF position like a rock, as soon as I remove my finger from it. Broken switch then...

However from an ELECTRICAL perspective, seems like it behaves like yours : in any 3 position, it will display curves constantly.

So maybe that particular switch is a weak point in the 575...

I just powered up the beast to make sure I was not dreaming, before I posted this. Nope, no mistake. Except it seems the poor 575 is now going downhill for some reason ! The " 120 / 240 / 120 "  STEPS / SEC switch is acting up. I just can't get it to display curves reliably, it just does weird and wonderful things at semi random when I touche either of these two switches. Sometimes it even displays what looks like a really neat animated 3D rendering of some hollow shape... poor 575 is completely losing it now !  :-DD

So, it " might " HAS some electrical gremlins after all, it's not just a cosmetic restoration anymore !  :-//  Well it's more fun this way.

I looked at all the tubes glowing in the thing... noticed one of them that really looks like it's not lighting up at all, not even really faintly. V132 (an 6AL5).
Looked it up in the schematics.... oh surprise, it's part of the base step generator !  ;D  A dual rectifier, both plates connected together and going straight to... "surprise " again, the STEPS / SEC switch !  8)

Just checked my spreadsheet listing all the tube models contained in my Tek scopes. The 6AL5 is not very common... I mean all bar one (Type 547) has this tube but one and only one. Still, I have some then, so could swap that tube to see if that improves thins... most likely will...

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97881 on: August 16, 2021, 09:17:55 pm »
Another of the transparent cobalt blue Tek mugs has appeared on the bay, though be forewarned the seller wants crazy $$ for it.  Figure I'll put it out here just the same.  NAWTS.

-Pat

I saw it, and like you was put off by the asking price, and also the strange marks on it. Paint fingerprints? Or just greasy prints..?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #97882 on: August 16, 2021, 09:25:39 pm »

The whole premse with "safety" shroulded 4mm plugs is not just what they are intended to be used for but how they may be misused.

In our plans, we rarely make mistakes. Reality, though, is littered with them. Well put, Robert.

Another take is safety belts or helmets; which, assuming you never crash or are crashed into, are useless inconveniences. Right?

Not quite...
If you take it to the track, or other suitable safe motorsports venue, you will discover that a snug or tight seatbelt helps hold your core body in the correct location and position.
That allows you to use feet and hands for the controls without having to brace yourself, and you will find the controls where you expect them to be when your body is not sloshing about unrestrained.

:phew:

Good point. I think same can be said for safety plugs; it's simpler to trust them than being extra careful all the time.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97883 on: August 16, 2021, 09:26:14 pm »
Another little project (no pun intended). A display for my GPSDO. It will receive serial NMEA data from the RS-232 port on the front of the GPS box, get parsed out, and displayed in some fashion TBD. I need a MAX232 but I already had the display on-hand. I might get a bigger display depending on what I want to show.

Oh what the hell - and a pic of an hp calculator ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, nixiefreqq, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97884 on: August 16, 2021, 09:40:29 pm »
A few ebay etc picks:

Probably a simple fix:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353627031828

Must be Fluke day:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133847695145

Waterproof boat anchor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124855346598

This just made me chuckle, not TE I know:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393511586104

I soooo want this, might even chuck an offer in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324755268731

This seems a bit pricey, I expect the seller will get a lot of lowballs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185001588150

Bit of a pile, might be easier to sell individually:

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YM3JkAaZ02BXKnOF/electronic-test-equipment-components

I linked this in discord but there's no harm in linking it here too:

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YGyt2-78gHTrK-2f/plumbers-oscilloscope
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #97885 on: August 16, 2021, 09:44:42 pm »

-Pat

I saw it, and like you was put off by the asking price, and also the strange marks on it. Paint fingerprints? Or just greasy prints..?

I looked closely, and to me they simply appear to be reflections of the room where the picture is being taken.  It looks like it's on a plastic covered tablecloth; if you look closely just in front of it you can see similar bright sports that appear to be what's showing on the mug.  Note that the 'marks' are very similar in both the front and back views, and if you zoom in on the top one on the front side you can see what appears to be a window's reflection with a dark vertical line at the center where a mullion blocks the light.  Reflective surfaces can be a bear to photograph; I think it's likely in excellent condition.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97886 on: August 16, 2021, 10:18:03 pm »
A few ebay etc picks:

:scared:

RUN AWAY !!!  :-DD

Oh no you can't be serious  ;D

We are inundated with these scopes here, in Metrix home land. The worse POS in existence, even the crapest '70's HAMEG is on paar with that Metrix !

Had one at school, a piece of trash, like most / all Metrix scopes, but this model/generation really eats the cake !

Even if it were " NIB " and demonstrated to work perfectly, I still would not pay a penny for it, not even shipping... nope !   :scared:

Any of my Tek boat anchors is vaaaastly superior to this Metrix scope, in all honesty !  :-DD
Plus the Metrix does not even keep you warm in Winter time ! Told you, useless !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #97887 on: August 16, 2021, 10:23:45 pm »
   Bit of a pile, might be easier to sell individually:

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YM3JkAaZ02BXKnOF/electronic-test-equipment-components

I'd be all up in that if it were anywhere near me. Not a moment's hesitation.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:26:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97888 on: August 16, 2021, 10:30:07 pm »
Meh the only thing that isn't garbage is the SDS1104X-E

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #97889 on: August 16, 2021, 10:38:19 pm »
CML is not that bad as at least it has 2Mpts of mem depth !  :P
SDG800 are OK but only single channel.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97890 on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:47 pm »
Not often I give away a bargain as resident Ferengi but there is a nice Fluke 27 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-27-MULTIMETER-Unit-Only-/165021824575?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

£35. Mark on screen otherwise looks pretty tidy.

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97891 on: August 16, 2021, 10:59:25 pm »
A few ebay etc picks:

RUN AWAY !!!  :-DD

Oh no you can't be serious  ;D

We are inundated with these scopes here, in Metrix home land. The worse POS in existence, even the crapest '70's HAMEG is on paar with that Metrix !

Had one at school, a piece of trash, like most / all Metrix scopes, but this model/generation really eats the cake !

Even if it were " NIB " and demonstrated to work perfectly, I still would not pay a penny for it, not even shipping... nope !   :scared:

Any of my Tek boat anchors is vaaaastly superior to this Metrix scope, in all honesty !  :-DD
Plus the Metrix does not even keep you warm in Winter time ! Told you, useless !  :-DD

I saw that listed myself and thought, nope, not even going to bother posing it, its shit.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97892 on: August 16, 2021, 11:05:11 pm »
CML is not that bad as at least it has 2Mpts of mem depth !  :P
SDG800 are OK but only single channel.  :--

70 bux per piece, and there's an electronic load, shitloads of components, and a couple cheapie HH meters not shown. Hard not to at least break even selling what you don't want to keep, especially in this market. :-//

mnem
*drops back & punts*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97893 on: August 16, 2021, 11:18:37 pm »
...I linked this in discord but there's no harm in linking it here too:   

RUN AWAY !!!  :-DD   Oh no you can't be serious  ;D

We are inundated with these scopes here, in Metrix home land. The worse POS in existence, even the crapest '70's HAMEG is on paar with that Metrix ! Had one at school, a piece of trash, like most / all Metrix scopes, but this model/generation really eats the cake !

I saw that listed myself and thought, nope, not even going to bother posing it, its shit.

AVGresponding posted that one in the Discord for amusement value, as it is listed as a "plumber's oscilloscope".

We had a whole long discussion aboot these a few months ago; even trying my hardest to be politic, the best I could manage was "it is a very basic scope"...  :-DD

It is either Philips PM3110 or ITT OX 710C for about 40JDs (~65$). Both without probes.
Assuming both are in similar in similar condition the ITT wil be a much better 'scope. higher bandwidth and more modern.

Mmmhmmm... 2x 15Mhz... still better than a sharp stick in the eye I suppose...  ???

mnem
Doc Brown called; He wants his temporal displacement monitor back... :-DD
dunno if you like this scope or not xD

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it.

Nope... never had one. Yes, as med says, there probably is a trace rotation control located somewhere inconspicuous, as these things are pretty sensitive to any large chunk of ferrous metal that may be nearby, or even localized weirdness in the earth's magnetic flux. If you get it home, it may not even have this problem when you set it up on your bench, or it could be worse.  ;)

It is a very basic scope; I guess it's all a matter of how much you need something to tinker with vs how hard it is to find something where you're at, and whether you ever expect to do anything other than Audio Frequency work. I know that I got pretty desperate when I was trying to find something up here in the wilds of Canada; I bought a 54645A from a seller I had done business with before I left the US, and I sucked it up & paid the freight.

I'd do the exact same thing again, in all honesty.
:-//

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a CRT mallet*
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:24:05 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97894 on: August 16, 2021, 11:49:52 pm »
Not often I give away a bargain as resident Ferengi but there is a nice Fluke 27 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-27-MULTIMETER-Unit-Only-/165021824575?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Now mine! The 25 needs company.

Looks like one segment may be a bit dodgy, but that could either be a wipe clean of the zebra strip or just camera shutter versus multiplexed display (which was the case as I predicted correctly ,he said smuggly, for the HP 53132A).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97895 on: August 17, 2021, 12:42:54 am »

Now mine! The 25 needs company.

Looks like one segment may be a bit dodgy, but that could either be a wipe clean of the zebra strip or just camera shutter versus multiplexed display (which was the case as I predicted correctly ,he said smuggly, for the HP 53132A).
So glad you got it, I was thinking about it as it is that bit better than either of my 27's. But then I resisted as I seldom use mine anyway seeing as they are 3200 count meters and I had far higher counts in other meters. Those 27's are every bit as rugged as the 25's and are just about nuke proof as well, doubles up if you need them to, as a hammer.   :-DD :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97896 on: August 17, 2021, 01:14:19 am »
...Those 27's are every bit as rugged as the 25's and are just about nuke proof as well, doubles up if you need them to, as a hammer.   :-DD :-+

Or to crack walnuts...  :o

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a24544/hand-grenade-crack-nuts/

mnem
Dumber than advertised.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:16:14 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97897 on: August 17, 2021, 01:15:40 am »
I fell into the 'chinese ruler trap' too. I had ordered 5 pieces of 150mm length, with imperial measure on the reverse side. When I read that story they were well underway. Came in, grabbed caliper, checked: error of 1% - 1 mm too much at 100mm.
Yuck.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97898 on: August 17, 2021, 01:38:25 am »
Freqq, remember that in the U.S. back in the day, there were three names in oscilloscopes - Tektronix, Tektronix and Tektronix.  For everything else, there was HP.

-Pat

Yup, other than Fluke for multimeters. I never used old Keithley gear (only modern stuff), but haven't heard anything bad about it. If I were to collect old gear, I'd probably limit it to those four brands, and for scopes, only Tek. Back when I was young, there was a guy who thought HP was the answer to everyone's need for equipment. Funny thing was though he always mispronounced it "Hewmlett Packard" for some reason.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #97899 on: August 17, 2021, 02:16:49 am »
Ever buy something without really figuring out how large they are  ;D Should have maybe gone with ER32's instead of the 40's but they have a certain degree of don't you dare move to materials I hope. Mainly got them for work holding round bits rather than spinning up tools or drills.

ER20 set is off my big router and the baby ER11's from my 3020.

Time to figure out a storage method or tray of some sort for them all. But first another coffee and some lunch :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf