Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16942916 times)

dxl, aeug and 151 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97475 on: August 13, 2021, 09:46:13 am »
Attached my findings here.

@med6753: can you take a good hi-res picture of your 547 in a similar style like the ones shown below?

Edit: The pictures of the scopes are taken from this site: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page

Found a better picture of the Sisyphus:

I don't have a hi-res camera. Just this crappy Nokia 925 phone.

It really doesn't matter if the pix is a 535, 545, or 547. They all look similar.

I do really like the 535 because of all those nice red knobs.  :D

Fine with me.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97476 on: August 13, 2021, 10:03:03 am »
I do really like the 535 because of all those nice red knobs.  :D

Oh, yes, lots of red knobs with the black secondary knob behind it. I just love that look. The first Tek scope had all black knobs though. Lots of other manufacturers' scopes from the era have a similar look to the Tek scopes with red/black knobs. Does anyone know the history of that? Which manufacturer was first to use red/black knobs on their scopes, and did they get that idea from other test equipment already in existence with that color scheme, or was it first done on scopes?

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97477 on: August 13, 2021, 10:09:13 am »
So earlier this evening I give the Type 547 a routine power up, as I've done several times over the past few days. Basically part of my burn in and test process. Only this time I'm greeted with no trace and the smell of something getting hot. Not again!  :palm: Quickly shut it down. Yep, the +100V indicating an overload. I think this time I got it shut down before the 6080 regulator tube destroyed itself. Did a DC resistance check of the +100V bus and no short indicated.  :wtf: Same sort of problem seen several times before.

My initial temptation was to get out the BFH and start swinging. This has been one frustrating restoration. After I cooled down I decided for the time being, at least a week or perhaps more, to put it aside. It's obvious I'm going to have to put the external supply back on to troubleshoot this latest fail. But there's other things I want to do like build up the 2nd scope cart. So button it back up and into the corner of bench 2. And let it mock me, I'll just ignore it.  ::)   
Well, not everything is bad, some good came from it, you can now discount those two bare wires coming into contact with each other as being the problem.

True, but it's a small consolation after all the hours I put into it to get it to come up, and stay up, for many hours.
Welcome to the world of fixing obscure faults in CRO's.  :P
Learnt a lot but never made much dosh doing it such was the time spent of some of them.  :horse:

Still, I well get your passion for such things as the old classic Teks.  :-+

I fully accept that when dealing with 50 - 60 year old equipment you are going to run into numerous issues. You've seen on some of my prior restorations several set backs and frustrating moments but eventually they get sorted out. This Type 547 however is proving to be a real challenge. This is at least the 4th time I've taken one step forward and two steps back.  :phew:

Edit.....Later today I'll forget all about my troubles. Lady Cop will be coming up this afternoon.  >:D :-DD
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:11:39 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97478 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:44 am »
HR only does the work for one level above the.
They, HR, do the dirty work with elephant skin.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97479 on: August 13, 2021, 11:00:36 am »
... Only this time I'm greeted with no trace and the smell of something getting hot. Not again!

Enabler mode: ON - you need an IR camera ...  :-BROKE
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97480 on: August 13, 2021, 11:19:59 am »
... Only this time I'm greeted with no trace and the smell of something getting hot. Not again!

Enabler mode: ON - you need an IR camera ...  :-BROKE

that is an excellent suggestion.

but for entertainment value the BFH would be better.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #97481 on: August 13, 2021, 11:35:39 am »
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/portland-tektronix-529-oscilloscope/7362452602.html

Is craigs horror list still a thing in USA? I had some success in evil bay.com lately but everybody is telling me to go to facebook marketplace.

I miss my ebaykleineanzeige from Germany......
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97482 on: August 13, 2021, 11:37:11 am »
@bd139 You asked what it is like as a multimeter, well as you can see from the photos, it does acquit itself pretty well if you can live with it limited voltage capability of 250V, which should be fine for most solid state projects. As with all of these types of devices that I have looked at, some compromises have to be made, the voltages are always measured using the probe on channel 1 and has settings for X1 and X10 probes.

There is an extensive onboard help menu and will present you with error messages when you go into overload situations. It even has a continuity setting, handy that, I often find myself using that option on meters.

I think these photos are pretty much self-explanatory, but sadly because this unit is in such perfect condition, the screen makes it almost impossible to get a really clear photo as it is angled upwards and as such things get reflected on it and these are not normally detected by the naked eye, but a camera just seems to amplify the problem.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #97483 on: August 13, 2021, 11:52:52 am »

Fixed for you.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97484 on: August 13, 2021, 12:02:02 pm »
Here we have first tests - in principle it is working. We can see gain going up around 900MHz, and resonance might come after that - future measurement might tell.
But principle works  :-+
Gain:

Loading with 1.2pF is not stellar but still better than usual probe:

Ok, now I had time for a play around. The DG-Mosfet I used are of the "integrated bias network" type. Vishay-Telefunken calls that "MOSMIC". No need for a 10Meg resistor with these. I found a few NOS BF1009 and used these at first. In my "recycled" container especially for DGMOS some S886T turned up, I did keep an eye out for these in the RF input cans on VCR, TV/SAT receivers, etc.
Finally time to shine, it's not hoarding if you end up using some  >:D
Also on my board the gate 2 that sets the gain is not tied to drain but to an voltage set by a 431 type "zener replacement" reference, partially because the BF1009 has a V-G2 of 6V and a V-D of 9V, partially because I wanted the option to see the influence on gain. The reduced attenuation above 900MHz is caused by passive coupling through the circuit and is even there without powering it (sadly no picture of that) - an output filter might remedy that.
On all the pictures only the red line is relevant, the S11 also measures its termination into the T and the loading from that. Loading in all cases is ~1.2-1.3pF
BF1009 G2@ 5.5V

BF1009 G2@5V

BF1009 G2@6.3V

S886T with G2@6.3V and long output cable (these tolerate 9V@G2)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, URI, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97485 on: August 13, 2021, 12:13:17 pm »
@bd139 You asked what it is like as a multimeter, well as you can see from the photos, it does acquit itself pretty well if you can live with it limited voltage capability of 250V, which should be fine for most solid state projects. As with all of these types of devices that I have looked at, some compromises have to be made, the voltages are always measured using the probe on channel 1 and has settings for X1 and X10 probes.

There is an extensive onboard help menu and will present you with error messages when you go into overload situations. It even has a continuity setting, handy that, I often find myself using that option on meters.

I think these photos are pretty much self-explanatory, but sadly because this unit is in such perfect condition, the screen makes it almost impossible to get a really clear photo as it is angled upwards and as such things get reflected on it and these are not normally detected by the naked eye, but a camera just seems to amplify the problem.

Thanks for this. Much appreciated. That’s really neat actually. I am impressed  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97486 on: August 13, 2021, 12:17:06 pm »
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/portland-tektronix-529-oscilloscope/7362452602.html

Is craigs horror list still a thing in USA? I had some success in evil bay.com lately but everybody is telling me to go to facebook marketplace.

I miss my ebaykleineanzeige from Germany......

Yes, CL is still a thing here. I've actually had good luck with it. Never used Facebook Marketplace.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97487 on: August 13, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »
Ugh some hell here. Bought a tinySA from Mirfield here who are apparently an official reseller of genuine units. Turns up and won’t calibrate. Posted on tinySA group and designer says it’s a clone  :palm: :palm:

Fortunately via ebay so disputes are easy to handle. I will just return as cal failed.

TinySA dude has marked them as shipping clones.

:palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97488 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:05 pm »
Ugh some hell here. Bought a tinySA from Mirfield here who are apparently an official reseller of genuine units. Turns up and won’t calibrate. Posted on tinySA group and designer says it’s a clone  :palm: :palm:

Fortunately via ebay so disputes are easy to handle. I will just return as cal failed.

TinySA dude has marked them as shipping clones.

:palm:

As if they didn't know they were selling fakes and passing them off as genuine.  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97489 on: August 13, 2021, 12:39:23 pm »
Indeed. If I was selling shit I'd at least run the self test before I sold it. They clearly didn't check their supply chain, don't care or didn't do it intentionally. Any way you look at it it's wrong :palm:

Edit: I've attached the self test failures. They are actually marginal failures rather than complete shitcan job which makes me wonder if it's not a fake but just a borderline unit. Either way seller should have checked it first.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:42:58 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97490 on: August 13, 2021, 12:44:42 pm »
Indeed. If I was selling shit I'd at least run the self test before I sold it. They clearly didn't check their supply chain, don't care or didn't do it intentionally. Any way you look at it it's wrong :palm:
It's a real "big brain" move. Pay some royalties, get listed as genuine reseller, then start shifting to clones and make the big $$$ £££. Really nothing could go wrong...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97491 on: August 13, 2021, 12:55:46 pm »
In my mind a "clone" means identical to the original. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Since these "clones" don't work as the originals call them what they really are. Fakes.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97492 on: August 13, 2021, 01:00:54 pm »
Some good points.

I contacted Mirfield and they have already replied saying they will send another unit out and to keep this one. They think that their supplier has thrown a few bad ones in to make up numbers. They apologised and are running self tests before sending them out now apparently. Now I know there is a probability, based on reading the group, that there are ones with modified firmware to pass the self tests so I will DFU the official firmware without such mods onto it and check it works then to make sure I'm not getting screwed. This might be a genuine issue at this point. Time will tell.

I do have to give a thumbs up to Erik at tinySA who has quite frankly amazing support and so far the Mirfield turnaround is minutes  :-+
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:02:56 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97493 on: August 13, 2021, 01:04:21 pm »
In my mind a "clone" means identical to the original. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Since these "clones" don't work as the originals call them what they really are. Fakes.  ::)

Fakes can work too sometimes and clones may not be identical to the trained eye. I produced a batch of devices where I used a row of 10 SMD resistors to hide a serial number. The resistors were a required part of the circuit, but I used there orientation to create a binary serial number (right way up=1, upside-down=0).
As soon as clones started appearing I could easily tell whether it was one of mine or not.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97494 on: August 13, 2021, 01:05:56 pm »
That's very sneaky that. I like that  :-+

The following users thanked this post: McBryce, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97495 on: August 13, 2021, 01:09:07 pm »
That's very sneaky that. I like that  :-+

Erik may be using some similar trick to identify them.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97496 on: August 13, 2021, 01:15:56 pm »
Some good points.

I contacted Mirfield and they have already replied saying they will send another unit out and to keep this one. They think that their supplier has thrown a few bad ones in to make up numbers. They apologised and are running self tests before sending them out now apparently. Now I know there is a probability, based on reading the group, that there are ones with modified firmware to pass the self tests so I will DFU the official firmware without such mods onto it and check it works then to make sure I'm not getting screwed. This might be a genuine issue at this point. Time will tell.

I do have to give a thumbs up to Erik at tinySA who has quite frankly amazing support and so far the Mirfield turnaround is minutes  :-+
DFU both units and then you might end up with 2 working ones  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #97497 on: August 13, 2021, 01:26:34 pm »
Just like my WaveTek BNC 630 arb mocks me from under the desk... Welcome to the club, buddy.  ;)

mnem
Here, lemme buy you a brew.
Not one of these by any chance ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/wavetek-2025a-0-2-2-200mghz-rf-sig-gen-repair/

Oh, sonuvacrap... no. It's a B&K 4070A/rebadged Berkeley Nucleonics Model 630. I had a total brain-fart and for some reason misremembered it as being rebadged WaveTek.

That guy in Orilla, ON has a 2020A for $300... it was one of the items I was thinking "might make it worth the trip".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324608786118

mnem
  :wtf: was I thinking...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97498 on: August 13, 2021, 01:48:57 pm »

That guy in Orilla, ON has a 2020A for $300... it was one of the items I was thinking "might make it worth the trip".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324608786118

mnem
  :wtf: was I thinking...?

"Orilla" sounds too much like "Gorilla". I would avoid.  :P :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97499 on: August 13, 2021, 02:33:52 pm »
Can anyone recommend a 4-wire kelvin leads/clips set with banana (safety OK) plugs? Looking for something dirt cheap, around USD25.

My experience when I wanted some was that I couldn't find fully assembled leads that were "cheap enough" by my criteria. I ended up making my own up come ça:

The Kelvin clips I used were cheap Chinese ones and although they don't look much in either this photo or the vendor's photos they are reasonable quality. Ditto the dual banana plugs. Add a bit of silicone test lead (yes, our friends in the Middle Kingdom again), some nylon expandable sheathing and some heatshrink and they're served me well for a couple of years now.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf