Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18117535 times)

marcumr, Runco990, Vince and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97275 on: August 11, 2021, 05:44:24 pm »
Nah, that's not the real thing.

Also, as I commented on the video, a clock that does not talk NTP or PTP (and no %&€&%(#"%€ SNTP, if I may, please. ), or has a GNSS rx, should at least have a 10MHz/1PPS ref input so it'll actually show the time instead of an opinion. Seriously underwhelmed by most such designer efforts.

Fully agree. My (diy) clocks usually understand DCF77 (built-in receicer or input for demodulated pulses), my proprietary CAN "homebus" protocol, GPS PPS + NMEA, or NTP (broadcast by a local server).

Right on brothers! I mean, if it's more than ±100ns from UTC can you really call it a clock? Amiright, eh?  :)

It just means the display is more than 30m from the clock element :) (c~=1ns/ft)
And before my inner vision a virtual Grace Hopper appears holding 30cm of wire and exclaiming 'THIS is one nanosecond!'
In vacuum only.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97276 on: August 11, 2021, 05:51:26 pm »
Then along comes the ghost of Feynman, stares at his fingers for a few seconds and points out that you're off by an order of around 12,000,000,000,000 for the electron transit time through that wire...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97277 on: August 11, 2021, 05:51:42 pm »
Nah, that's not the real thing.

Also, as I commented on the video, a clock that does not talk NTP or PTP (and no %&€&%(#"%€ SNTP, if I may, please. ), or has a GNSS rx, should at least have a 10MHz/1PPS ref input so it'll actually show the time instead of an opinion. Seriously underwhelmed by most such designer efforts.

Fully agree. My (diy) clocks usually understand DCF77 (built-in receicer or input for demodulated pulses), my proprietary CAN "homebus" protocol, GPS PPS + NMEA, or NTP (broadcast by a local server).

Right on brothers! I mean, if it's more than ±100ns from UTC can you really call it a clock? Amiright, eh?  :)

It just means the display is more than 30m from the clock element :) (c~=1ns/ft)
And before my inner vision a virtual Grace Hopper appears holding 30cm of wire and exclaiming 'THIS is one nanosecond!'
In vacuum only.
Of course. And in Austria it is a mere 5cm.  (Huuusch, huuuusch...)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97278 on: August 11, 2021, 05:55:44 pm »
Oh man I just came here to get away from fixing Grafana dashboards. That didn’t work  :-DD

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD

While you're at it, can you fix that one? That "Panel title" is beginning to make me develop a tic - I can feel the swish of a physics teacher's ruler towards the back of someone's hand and hear a voice saying "If you haven't labelled it properly it's not a graph, it's a meaningless doodle.". Sigh, old "Looby-Lou" who used to say that is probably dead now.

Oh, never mind. All the tables within the database are just self-explanatory, like this:
Code: [Select]
hbdata=> \dt
         List of relations
 Schema |  Name   | Type  | Owner 
--------+---------+-------+--------
 public | bat2    | table | hbdata
 public | cistern | table | hbdata
 public | cv_oqbc | table | hbdata
 public | cv_sht  | table | hbdata
 public | cv_u96  | table | hbdata
 public | dcf1    | table | hbdata
 public | dcf1a   | table | hbdata
 public | dcf1b   | table | hbdata
 public | fa2     | table | hbdata
 public | fb_sh   | table | hbdata
 public | hkv1    | table | hbdata
 public | hzg     | table | hbdata
 public | meas1   | table | hbdata
 public | meas2   | table | hbdata
 public | meas3   | table | hbdata
 public | oq229   | table | hbdata
 public | pvbat   | table | hbdata
 public | sk7_dc  | table | hbdata
 public | temp2   | table | hbdata
 public | tmr0    | table | hbdata
(20 rows)

hbdata=> select *
from dcf1
where false;
 time | vcxo | phase | angv | anga | cc_ts | can_ts | temp | rh | pm_ph_r | pm_ph | am_ph_r | am_ph | mls_ph | vcxo_dev | pm_rx_v | pm_rx_bits_ok | pm_rx_bits_false | am_rx_v | am_rx_bits_ok | am_rx_bits_false | dacval
------+------+-------+------+------+-------+--------+------+----+---------+-------+---------+-------+--------+----------+---------+---------------+------------------+---------+---------------+------------------+--------
(0 rows)

|O |O |O :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97279 on: August 11, 2021, 06:00:50 pm »
I've seen considerably worse  :popcorn:. I've seen one floating around which uses a SQL Server CTE on itself and has an alias with the same name as a column as well :palm:. We discovered this when they fixed the bug in the TSQL parser that allowed this and it stopped working  >:(

Anyway some actual TE related content later. Jerk chicken, peas and rice for dinner followed by meat sweats, raging indigestion and installing the displays in this 5381A  :-+

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97280 on: August 11, 2021, 06:07:39 pm »
Upcoming TEA(cquisition) alert - teaser pic:

Got the photo from the seller, hopefully the unit will arrive in a few days
Bonus points for recognizing the instrument or the make. (that's too easy). Won't disclose before it is on my bench.

Yes well, given you can see it says Yokogawa on the bottom board, I think you were right to strike that out...

The motor and paper guide implies a chart recorder of some sort.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97281 on: August 11, 2021, 06:19:10 pm »
DL1540?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97282 on: August 11, 2021, 06:43:21 pm »
I've seen considerably worse  :popcorn:. I've seen one floating around which uses a SQL Server CTE on itself and has an alias with the same name as a column as well :palm:. We discovered this when they fixed the bug in the TSQL parser that allowed this and it stopped working  >:(

Anyway some actual TE related content later. Jerk chicken, peas and rice for dinner followed by meat sweats, raging indigestion and installing the displays in this 5381A  :-+
I'm off to do myself some nice tomato soup, and later I'll post a photo of my lovely Fluke 85 which arrived today, 2 days earlier than expected, had a slight scratch on display, but I polished it out. Has some small damage to the COM and V input jacks, but still works perfectly.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #97283 on: August 11, 2021, 06:50:33 pm »
Just returned from the evening walk - 7.6 km.
Have the Nakamichi NR-200 a quick test drive.
Works. Yay! Only thing missing is the 19" rack mount kit.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97284 on: August 11, 2021, 07:00:43 pm »
I may have finally had a break thru.  :-+ The Type 547 ran as shown in the prior entry for over 2.5 hours without a hitch. It appears I was right about Q554 causing the intermittent sweep mag issue.

Back on it's feet as shown here. I can't proceed with re-building the vertical until the parts arrive. And it appears that the critical 105V zener won't show up until next week. I'll probably keep powering it up for periods to be absolutely certain all other issues are finally fixed. :-/O

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97285 on: August 11, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »
Just returned from the evening walk - 7.6 km.
Have the Nakamichi NR-200 a quick test drive.
Works. Yay! Only thing missing is the 19" rack mount kit.

BTW Lady.....much congrats on your weigh loss AND avoidance of the dreaded diabetes.  :-+ :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Saskia

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97286 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:52 pm »
All these people being really anal about tidy wiring...

I've seen some truly messy wiring in my time, and these buildings hardly ever burn down!

Here are a few pics from my Hall of Shame:

If you think that’s bad you want to spend ten minutes looking at some of the numb skulled criminality I see in software. The whole world is built on shit and straw lobbed unceremoniously at a problem until it crushes or stinks it away.  :palm:

Yes, but the software guys get to put fancy names on it like "Agile project management" and tell us it's progress and the new way of doing things. In the hardware world we have regulations (that get ignored most of the time).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97287 on: August 11, 2021, 07:12:36 pm »
Bench 2 has taken a terrible beating from the Type 547 being jackassed on it's side and then back on it's feet. The disadvantage of using soft pine for a table top. Oh well.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97288 on: August 11, 2021, 07:16:31 pm »
Bench 2 has taken a terrible beating from the Type 547 being jackassed on it's side and then back on it's feet. The disadvantage of using soft pine for a table top. Oh well.  :-//

It's nicely "distressed". People pay good money for that look.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #97290 on: August 11, 2021, 07:20:41 pm »

Though it seems the horse has already left the barn, perhaps to keep the cows from getting out too you might get a piece of eighth inch tempered hardboard 2' x 3' or so to put down as a placemat of sorts to prevent further damage when wrestling with boat anchors on the bench?  Being flat and thin, it could be stored behind one of the benches or bookcases when not needed.

Glad to see the beast 547 is being tamed!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97291 on: August 11, 2021, 07:21:45 pm »

The motor and paper guide implies a chart recorder of some sort.[/color][/size][/b]

nope

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97292 on: August 11, 2021, 07:22:24 pm »

Maybe you should have put a glass top on it?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97293 on: August 11, 2021, 07:35:42 pm »

Though it seems the horse has already left the barn, perhaps to keep the cows from getting out too you might get a piece of eighth inch tempered hardboard 2' x 3' or so to put down as a placemat of sorts to prevent further damage when wrestling with boat anchors on the bench?  Being flat and thin, it could be stored behind one of the benches or bookcases when not needed.

Glad to see the beast 547 is being tamed!

-Pat

While it sounds like a good idea in actual practice the placemat would get in the way. When I tilt the scope on it's side I drag it across the bench while slowly setting it down on it's side. Same for when putting it back on it's feet. I don't dare lift the entire scope off the bench to tilt it on it's side or return it back on it's feet. That would be repeat hernia city.  :scared: :scared: :scared: :horse: 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 07:40:20 pm by med6753 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97294 on: August 11, 2021, 07:37:07 pm »
5381A update.

Firstly a reminder of how it turned up, which is to be expected with vintage LEDs really. Technical term: useless.

Of course I found the thing with a bodge repair that wasn't done properly and used the wrong displays.

Some reverse engineering later and new standing current for LEDs was picked. Settled on 220 ohms in the end which has higher brightness with the new high efficiency red LEDs for much less power dissipation overall.

For the sake of people landing on this via Google one day, the new blue resistors are Royal Ohm 220R 1% 0.25W and Displays are Kingbright SA03-11EWA which are drop in replacements.

If you do futz with these, make sure you run with the lid on as there's live mains in easy accidental brushing distance of the top of the chassis.

Quickly popping it on myself as a handy 50Hz antenna  :-DD

The display looks clearer in real life. The phone can't cope with high contrasts like that  :palm:. I really need to buy myself a DSLR again...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97295 on: August 11, 2021, 08:16:09 pm »
Smart cookie you are. I give you props.  :-+ :-+

6.31/47 = .134 times 2 = 268mA. Close enough.  ;D

I'd stick a 12V reed relay across each of them and wire the contacts to a buzzer.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #97296 on: August 11, 2021, 08:17:13 pm »
@bd send you one ? Have a spare 5d Mark 2 and a spare 500d ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97297 on: August 11, 2021, 08:18:03 pm »
Upcoming TEA(cquisition) alert - teaser pic:
<snip>
Got the photo from the seller, hopefully the unit will arrive in a few days
Bonus points for recognizing the instrument or the make. (that's too easy). Won't disclose before it is on my bench.

A laser engraver or a document scanner?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97298 on: August 11, 2021, 08:20:59 pm »
@bd send you one ? Have a spare 5d Mark 2 and a spare 500d ...

Will pass if it’s canon  :-DD

Got my eye on a Nikon mirrorless rabbit hole at the moment  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97299 on: August 11, 2021, 08:21:59 pm »
5381A update.

Firstly a reminder of how it turned up, which is to be expected with vintage LEDs really. Technical term: useless.

Of course I found the thing with a bodge repair that wasn't done properly and used the wrong displays.

Some reverse engineering later and new standing current for LEDs was picked. Settled on 220 ohms in the end which has higher brightness with the new high efficiency red LEDs for much less power dissipation overall.

For the sake of people landing on this via Google one day, the new blue resistors are Royal Ohm 220R 1% 0.25W and Displays are Kingbright SA03-11EWA which are drop in replacements.

If you do futz with these, make sure you run with the lid on as there's live mains in easy accidental brushing distance of the top of the chassis.

Quickly popping it on myself as a handy 50Hz antenna  :-DD

The display looks clearer in real life. The phone can't cope with high contrasts like that  :palm:. I really need to buy myself a DSLR again...
Thats a brilliant job, looks fine, and the decimal point is functioning once again  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf