Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16962818 times)

Nanitamuscen, mankan, Robert763, Peter_O and 130 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97075 on: August 10, 2021, 10:30:50 am »
So to support me in this I will pick up a windsurf board on the week end, along with a rather large sail (9.6 sqm) to get back on the water.

Very Nice !!!  :-+

That is a rather large sail!  :o

The sail that I use most frequently is a 6.0 sqm from Pryde.  Good for most boards in most conditions.

Next commonly used one is 5.0 sqm from Pryde that I picked up used and came with the number "KC 2" ... the previous owner was obviously a much better sailor than I ever will be.  Good on the really windy days.

Very rarely do I use a 8.1 sqm from North Sails that I picked up used cheaply.  Only good on the long course board when there is almost no wind. I would never have bought such a large high-performance sail at a normal price.

Boring get into Kitesurfing  ;D No need to wait for it to really blow for the fun to begin just go up in kite size. I still have a 21sqm Kite kicking around but these days with the more modern designs 15 and down is all that's needed.

Locally most of the diehard old school windsurfers have seen the light enabled in part by me in an earlier mid life crisis >:D

Well, I am not as nimble as I was like 35 years ago, so a windsurf board will have to suffice.
It'll be a Starboard Formula 156 litres (330 Pesos) with a Gunsails Vector 9.6, a 75% Carbon mast (460 Pesos), plus a North Sails boom (120 Pesos).

for regaining my upper body strength I will use my Wilderness Ride 135 kayak. I don't have time to learn kite surfing, I did do ok on a formula board about 20 years ago.

If I had time and option to try something new (and the money needed for that) I would look for a Pogo 850.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97076 on: August 10, 2021, 10:42:15 am »
Desoldering station arrived already. Haven't powered it up yet but seems fairly good for the money. The only complaint so far is it's really easy to knock the gun off the stand. May need to find a suitable mod for it to make that less of an issue.
What I do with mine is push the gun all the way back in the holder, under the retaining ring, then I have the whole unit right at the back of my bench and to one side, so that the cable and vacuum tube hang down the side of the bench and not on it, job done. Never yet managed to knock it out of its holder when its on, oh and of course, I only have it on when I'm just about to use it, so if it does get knocked out, its not hot. Hope that helps.

Yes.

Specmaster  <--->   bd139

:-DD   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97077 on: August 10, 2021, 11:09:16 am »
Haha, yeah I've been seeking bits for "da man". Not many bits for myself. However, I did snag

1. a used Siglent SSA3021X (not Plus)

2. a used Fluke 23 Series II

both in like-new condition. The DMM included all the original docs, holster, and leads as well as its screen protector. Apparently, it wasn't used much, which also meant no battery schmoo inside. :-+

Hey that's cool stuff. But don't be so afraid of it getting dirty that you leave it covered all the time. You can touch it!  ;D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97078 on: August 10, 2021, 11:27:09 am »
Saw a Fluke 8300A this weekend. While I was negotiating a price, someone paid full price for it. Ah, well.

Anyone from here grab it? It's got nice options.

What dastardly behaviour! If people go around doing things like paying full price how are skinflints like me ever going to end up with any test gear?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #97079 on: August 10, 2021, 11:34:04 am »
So to support me in this I will pick up a windsurf board on the week end, along with a rather large sail (9.6 sqm) to get back on the water.

Very Nice !!!  :-+

That is a rather large sail!  :o

The sail that I use most frequently is a 6.0 sqm from Pryde.  Good for most boards in most conditions.

Next commonly used one is 5.0 sqm from Pryde that I picked up used and came with the number "KC 2" ... the previous owner was obviously a much better sailor than I ever will be.  Good on the really windy days.

Very rarely do I use a 8.1 sqm from North Sails that I picked up used cheaply.  Only good on the long course board when there is almost no wind. I would never have bought such a large high-performance sail at a normal price.

Boring get into Kitesurfing  ;D No need to wait for it to really blow for the fun to begin just go up in kite size. I still have a 21sqm Kite kicking around but these days with the more modern designs 15 and down is all that's needed.

Locally most of the diehard old school windsurfers have seen the light enabled in part by me in an earlier mid life crisis >:D

Well, I am not as nimble as I was like 35 years ago, so a windsurf board will have to suffice.
It'll be a Starboard Formula 156 litres (330 Pesos) with a Gunsails Vector 9.6, a 75% Carbon mast (460 Pesos), plus a North Sails boom (120 Pesos).

for regaining my upper body strength I will use my Wilderness Ride 135 kayak. I don't have time to learn kite surfing, I did do ok on a formula board about 20 years ago.

If I had time and option to try something new (and the money needed for that) I would look for a Pogo 850.
Pre marriage etc was a sailboarding nut, I live at 37 degrees Sth so in winter the roaring 40s come through, still have my 250 litre raceboard and 10sq m sail and a 195cm flat water blaster epoxy-polystyrene board with 14 inches of the finest fibreglass fin. Collection of Neil Pryde, Gaastra and North sails. Not as fit upper body wise as I need to be 😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97080 on: August 10, 2021, 11:55:29 am »
I got a visit from the Safety Elf while I was out! Or rather ParcelFarce left my RS delivery with a neighbour. Lord knows what they thought I was buying as the outside of the box had a scary looking hazard warning label on it.

So what did this large box with the contents dangerous to all life label contain? One small tube of 63/37 solder paste and a 7 page MSDS. Bit of an anticlimax really.

At least the warning label will take on new meaning later, after the cat has climbed into the box and claimed it for herself.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97081 on: August 10, 2021, 11:59:35 am »
So I spent my lunch break desoldering things, like you do  :-DD

Unpacked. Seems well built for the money. Took about 5 minutes to work it out.

I don't have any PCBs lying around I can attack as a test piece so went in guns blazing on the 5381A. I've read a few tutorials on how to use these effectively and that appears to have paid off fortunately. Also applying somewhat dated knowledge of using the old Weller DS801's was used.

Review: too easy. This thing is life changing  :-DD. Nice clean removals. I've wiped this down with isopropyl afterwards to remove any gank.

Scratches were not me - previous owner swapped some of the displays around, I assume because they were unequally broken  :palm:

And all removals intact

This whole job took around 15 minutes from end to end. I had one blockage which was my own stupid fault for sucking too short a time.

This job would have been hell without this and I've avoided a lot of repairs before. Not only that I don't have to necessarily snip the parts out now to safely desolder which makes debugging and lifting leads cheaper.

I am impressed. Money well spent  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, nfmax, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, syau, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97082 on: August 10, 2021, 12:06:57 pm »
Saw a Fluke 8300A this weekend. While I was negotiating a price, someone paid full price for it. Ah, well.

What dastardly behaviour! If people go around doing things like paying full price how are skinflints like me ever going to end up with any test gear?

The solution is simple. Stop being a cheapskate.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97083 on: August 10, 2021, 12:07:30 pm »

I don't have any PCBs lying around I can attack as a test piece so went in guns blazing on the 5381A. I've read a few tutorials on how to use these effectively and that appears to have paid off fortunately. Also applying somewhat dated knowledge of using the old Weller DS801's was used.

Review: too easy. This thing is life changing  :-DD. Nice clean removals. I've wiped this down with isopropyl afterwards to remove any gank.

Scratches were not me - previous owner swapped some of the displays around, I assume because they were unequally broken  :palm:

And all removals intact

This whole job took around 15 minutes from end to end. I had one blockage which was my own stupid fault for sucking too short a time.

This job would have been hell without this and I've avoided a lot of repairs before. Not only that I don't have to necessarily snip the parts out now to safely desolder which makes debugging and lifting leads cheaper.

I have the same device, but branded ZD-915. They are a game changer for removing thru-hole parts, even easier on single sided boards. However, they need regular cleaning to work properly and always make sure the barrel is free of solder (with the pokey stick they give you) before you switch it off. Oh, and don't underestimate how hot the pokey stick is when you remove it from the barrel! It's a painful lesson to learn.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, syau, tonyalbus

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97084 on: August 10, 2021, 12:14:14 pm »
On the other side of the coin. Incorrect hp feet because we know they all get lost in a black hole.  :-DD

(Self adhesive felt feet 3/4 inch diameter. Work well)

[/URL]

I like these old school massive rubber feets. Screw through one of the existing holes, washer and nut inside.
No gunk, no damage of orginal case.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:25:41 pm by Peter_O »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97085 on: August 10, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »
Has anybody got any experience of Molex "Nano-Fit" connectors? They're the baby 2.5 mm pitch version of the classic Molex "Mini-Fit" that we all know as a PC motherboard power connector. (The ranges go: Mini, Mini Jr, Micro and Nano.)

I'm thinking of using them as the power and ancillary connectors for the GPSDO PCB - a step up from crappy 0.1" DuPont style (and more compact) and tougher than JST-whatevers. Anybody got anything good, or bad, to say about them?

I have. We used it on an extension board for one of our small control devices, see attachment.

It's shitty. Crimp is delicate, locking mechanism weakish and unlocking the pins tends to damage the holding spring.

If you have a choice, go for something else.

Well, that's depressing. Sounds like it might be back to the drawing board.

The problem with wire to board connectors is that starting from a blank page the choice is huge, and it's very difficult to judge these things from photos, drawings and datasheets.

I want something that is reasonably compact that doesn't take up too much board area, is good for roughly an amp of power @ 6-12V or LVCMOS digital signals. Needs to be something that can be bought in small quantities at a reasonable price, which constrains the search space somewhat. Anyone got suggestions?

If no-one has any bright ideas I might just either chance my arm with the Nano-Fits or stick to the tried and tested but, around here anyway, unloved JST-XH.

SWMBO-II has just come in and demanded that I come and check how full her bowl is before she undertakes a proper survey of her new box with warning labels.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #97086 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:18 pm »

Yes, I know. Got one of these too.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97087 on: August 10, 2021, 12:30:04 pm »
My feet are gray

Well, wash them!  And wear shoes and socks next time you go out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #97088 on: August 10, 2021, 12:31:28 pm »
Introducing:

my new US Lab version beta 0.01.
about 8 meters x 3 meters, I can dance tarantella now.. uh feet, inches, sorry whaaat?

Woah! Jealousy-inducing spaaaaaace.

But, this is TEA. So, you won't have a dance floor for too long. :-DD

Sometimes bigger isn't always better.  Had a 3 by 7 meter space in an addition on the back of the house.  Had it for years and never could get the ergonomics right.  On top of that, there was the back door into the garden for letting the dogs out.  Was constantly making changes and never could get the right fit.  After stepdaughter and family moved out, I took over the largest of the 2 extra bedrooms.  4X4 meters and a 2.5 by 3 meter closet area.  Really got to think and plan before making the move.  As a result, only change in over a year and a half was taking the 3 printers off of a shelf and building a vertical printer stand.  The smaller space actually feels roomier.

BD, I have ZD 985 myself.  boogered it up good with a blockage.  Ended up turning the heat up to maximum, leaving it for about 10 minutes and then used the cleaning rod while depressing the trigger to clear it.  So much better than braid.

I have a ZD-985.  Boogered it up once really good.  Ended up turning up power all the way, leaving it for 10 minutes and then used the cleaning rod while depressing the trigger to remove it.  I still use braid occasionally but nothing beats the desoldering tool.  Huge step up from the crappy radio shack desoldering iron with that stupid red bulb on it.  I celebrated pitching that into the bin.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97089 on: August 10, 2021, 12:37:28 pm »

Dammit. You are going to cost me more money!  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97090 on: August 10, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »

What! And abandon a life's work? My father was a skinflint, my grandfather stony broke (a steelworker with 13 kids) and I'm sure if you go back far enough on that side of the family you'll find a little blue border reiver with moths in his sporran. No doubt the bogtrotter side of my antecedents were equally parsimonious.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #97091 on: August 10, 2021, 01:06:43 pm »
Today, I did a 12 hour soak of my 5328A against my 8656B.  Dropped the frequency to a nice round 100MHz and was able to drop the level a few more dB.

Despite neither having any current (or even known) calibration, the numbers were tantalisingly close ... the last digit bouncing relatively evenly between 7 and 8 with maybe a leaning to the 8.

Now I'm getting the itch for a GPSDO to determine ....... ......

Oh... shit.... this slope is slippeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

PS.  Both units pictured above are the direct result of Bean the Enabler in action, throwing shiny things at my feet.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:09:29 pm by Brumby »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97092 on: August 10, 2021, 01:08:46 pm »
Has anybody got any experience of Molex "Nano-Fit" connectors? They're the baby 2.5 mm pitch version of the classic Molex "Mini-Fit" that we all know as a PC motherboard power connector. (The ranges go: Mini, Mini Jr, Micro and Nano.)

I'm thinking of using them as the power and ancillary connectors for the GPSDO PCB - a step up from crappy 0.1" DuPont style (and more compact) and tougher than JST-whatevers. Anybody got anything good, or bad, to say about them?

I have. We used it on an extension board for one of our small control devices, see attachment.

It's shitty. Crimp is delicate, locking mechanism weakish and unlocking the pins tends to damage the holding spring.

The problem with wire to board connectors is that starting from a blank page the choice is huge, and it's very difficult to judge these things from photos, drawings and datasheets.

I want something that is reasonably compact that doesn't take up too much board area, is good for roughly an amp of power @ 6-12V or LVCMOS digital signals. Needs to be something that can be bought in small quantities at a reasonable price, which constrains the search space somewhat. Anyone got suggestions?

If no-one has any bright ideas I might just either chance my arm with the Nano-Fits or stick to the tried and tested but, around here anyway, unloved JST-XH.

SWMBO-II has just come in and demanded that I come and check how full her bowl is before she undertakes a proper survey of her new box with warning labels.

How about some Phoenix connectors?
Mine are a bit clunky, but there are smaller ones.

From my switch (switching between two soldering irons, JBC T245 <--> T470)

Edit:

another example:

Source:
https://www.ee.co.za/article/phoenix-168-03-connectors-offer-high-performance-in-a-minimum-amount-of-space.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:12:18 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Cymaphore

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #97093 on: August 10, 2021, 01:12:29 pm »

PS.  Both units pictured above are the direct result of Bean the Enabler in action, throwing shiny things at my feet.

Looking good!!.

Yes it is a slope... i ended up with 3 GPSDO's GNSSdo's just to be sure  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #97094 on: August 10, 2021, 01:48:08 pm »
Today, I did a 12 hour soak of my 5328A against my 8656B.  Dropped the frequency to a nice round 100MHz and was able to drop the level a few more dB.

Despite neither having any current (or even known) calibration, the numbers were tantalisingly close ... the last digit bouncing relatively evenly between 7 and 8 with maybe a leaning to the 8.

And yet I feel NO guilt at all   :-DD

Speaking of GPSDO's has anyone looked inside one of these cheapies yet or is there a thread? eBay auction: #363118699716 Seems there is several sub $100 offerings.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97095 on: August 10, 2021, 01:53:28 pm »
BD, I have ZD 985 myself.  boogered it up good with a blockage.  Ended up turning the heat up to maximum, leaving it for about 10 minutes and then used the cleaning rod while depressing the trigger to clear it.  So much better than braid.

I have a ZD-985.  Boogered it up once really good.  Ended up turning up power all the way, leaving it for 10 minutes and then used the cleaning rod while depressing the trigger to remove it.  I still use braid occasionally but nothing beats the desoldering tool.  Huge step up from the crappy radio shack desoldering iron with that stupid red bulb on it.  I celebrated pitching that into the bin.
I have one of the exact same things, branded Pro'sKit (which always reminds me of Vogons) model number SS-331, that I bought from TopLoser a few years ago. My motivation was fitting a replacement Chinese VFD to my -hp- 53131A counter, or to be exact, removing the old one. Works a treat, though fiddly to clean and reassemble. I have the cable draped over the side of my bench in the approved manner, too

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97096 on: August 10, 2021, 02:02:28 pm »

where's the fun in that then  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97097 on: August 10, 2021, 02:10:43 pm »

How about some Phoenix connectors?
Mine are a bit clunky, but there are smaller ones.

From my switch (switching between two soldering irons, JBC T245 <--> T470)

Edit:

another example:

Source:
https://www.ee.co.za/article/phoenix-168-03-connectors-offer-high-performance-in-a-minimum-amount-of-space.html

Another good series of connectors are WAGO MCS Mini and MCS Midi, in non-automotive environments with requirement of being universal and no requirement of much mechanical coding those are not bad. And you'll get something with a similar PCB footprint like the Molex if you're lucky

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #97098 on: August 10, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
*currently somehow home alone without wife or chiddlers* :scared:
Same thing here today.  Ooops, I was at the home of wife's mother  :scared:  Not my own house (which has its own problems)  :horse:

At least I got to play with my 8060A  :-DMM ... fixed a bunch (but not all) of wiring issues. Had been worked on previously by a gorilla (wife's brother). Some of the problems pre-date the gorilla work...    :scared:    Did not fix what I was asked to fix. Need to go back again with simple switches and light fixtures.The plan will be to rip out all the fancy crap, and start over following the KISS principle.

Zucca, one thing to never ever assume in North America that only one breaker feeds power to a device box.... :wtf:
Electrical code clearly says this is NOT allowed.  Almost every house where I have looked closely at the electrical violates this.

Including today.  Including my own house (SWMBO will not allow ripping apart the whole house to fix it...  warning notes will have to suffice for now)

In principle, this should be only allowable with 220V circuits using at least ICT breakers. Of course, YMMV, DQMOT, IANAL, DILLIGAF...? all apply.

I too saw much of this back in the land of cowboys, Tejas; as actual electrical inspections in a person's home are pretty much a mythical beast.

I'm not too sanguine aboot my current abode either; as all the while I've lived here, we've had outlets in the living room (of course, the only one near the CATV for our internet) that would go out if you tried to make toast and nuke your coffee at the same time. Yes, nukebox/toaster plugged into different outlets. ::)

Oh, and a outdoor outlet & security light that didn't work at all, until the owner and his "associate" came out to "get things ready" for an electrical inspector visit... (!!!) that didn't happen until 8 months after we moved in...  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 07:16:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97099 on: August 10, 2021, 02:32:42 pm »
The Type 547 back on the external 100V supply. Just the 100V and it came up with no issues. Only drawing 184mA. PSU +100V is rated to 400mA. I have the vertical amplifier disconnected for the time being. Going to let it sit for a while. Then I will reconnect the vertical amplifier and attempt to bring up the rest of the PSU with the external 100V supply.

Whatever the issue is it is being damn elusive.  :scared:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf