Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16960135 times)

Swaroop 21 and 108 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97050 on: August 10, 2021, 05:20:25 am »
Woah, I've never seen so many guests in the TEA house before.

* hi, guests! *
Seen more, it's 140+ right now.

236 right now !  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #97051 on: August 10, 2021, 05:26:01 am »
Saw a Fluke 8300A this weekend. While I was negotiating a price, someone paid full price for it. Ah, well.

Anyone from here grab it? It's got nice options.

Sorry, man.  It popped up in my search this morning, I looked and saw it was well optioned and jumped on it as they’re relatively rare and usually being being sold by people who want a couple of hundred bucks for one in unknown condition.  Have the manual that I bought a few years back when I’d bought one from the bay that the seller later cancelled because it "failed test" (it had been listed as 'for parts or repair'), and when I pointed that out and said I didn’t expect it to work was then told it had already been discarded.  I was pretty pissed about that.

-Pat

Hey, no problem. I'm happy you got it and not some dismantler, especially since it had all the requisite options. Of course, I look forward to learning more about it when you receive it. I'm especially curious if the round feet are original. It doesn't have a tilting bail, like many I've seen, but I'm not sure if that's original either. Since it has an IEC power socket, it seems to be a later version.

At least I can enjoy it vicariously here. ^-^

I’ll be sure to post pics of it.  The guy’s a quick shipper - FedEx has it in Kennesaw, GA already.  I’m not up on Fluke feet, but I guess will learn in a few days.

-Pat

Since the seller countered my offer, I asked for a photo of the bottom.

1243665-0

Those little feet don't fit the mounting holes in the case bottom (which I've seen another example of lately) and probably wouldn't hold a tilting bail like on Martin's 8300A. So, I suspect it may have been a revision.

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97052 on: August 10, 2021, 05:35:44 am »

* hi, guests! *

You haven't been too active until recently bitseeker. Have you been seeking bits, and did you find many?

:popcorn:

Haha, yeah I've been seeking bits for "da man". Not many bits for myself. However, I did snag

1. a used Siglent SSA3021X (not Plus)

2. ............
Nice....I can see it becoming a SSA3032X with all options enabled.  :popcorn:

Sold mine a few months back after waiting for the right buyer to come along and he seems over the moon with it and already it's appeared on his YT channel.

Yes, I actually read the entire thread on that transformation. I'm glad the process got easier over time. Those guys are pretty amazing deciphering it all.

Always nice when an item gets sold to a good home. I'm sure he'll take good care of it.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97053 on: August 10, 2021, 05:36:49 am »
Saw a Fluke 8300A this weekend. While I was negotiating a price, someone paid full price for it. Ah, well.

Sorry, man.  It popped up in my search this morning, I looked and saw it was well optioned and jumped on it as they’re relatively rare and usually being being sold by people who want a couple of hundred bucks for one in unknown condition.  Have the manual that I bought a few years back when I’d bought one from the bay that the seller later cancelled because it "failed test" (it had been listed as 'for parts or repair'), and when I pointed that out and said I didn’t expect it to work was then told it had already been discarded.  I was pretty pissed about that.

-Pat

Hey, no problem. I'm happy you got it and not some dismantler, especially since it had all the requisite options. Of course, I look forward to learning more about it when you receive it. I'm especially curious if the round feet are original. It doesn't have a tilting bail, like many I've seen, but I'm not sure if that's original either. Since it has an IEC power socket, it seems to be a later version.

I’ll be sure to post pics of it.  The guy’s a quick shipper - FedEx has it in Kennesaw, GA already.  I’m not up on Fluke feet, but I guess will learn in a few days.

-Pat

(Attachment Link)

Those little feet don't fit the mounting holes in the case bottom (which I've seen another example of lately) and probably wouldn't hold a tilting bail like on Martin's 8300A. So, I suspect it may have been a revision.

Of my two 8300A's, one has no feet, the other has squareoid plastic ones with holes for the stand, which it may or may not have had (it's my practice to remove these on all bench gear I acquire).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:23:55 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97054 on: August 10, 2021, 05:38:52 am »
AVG, your reply seems to have gone missing. I only see the quoted bits.

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97055 on: August 10, 2021, 05:58:56 am »
If they are of Molex heritage they are probably flame emitting at some point in the future.

I’m going full on and just wiring everything with D-subs or SMA or BNC externally and anything else internally is soldered into cup pins and laced. I managed to score a bag of 500 pins a few years back for a fiver on eBay so I should probably use them :). D-subs are keyed, reliable and good for half an amp per pin.

I have a large scary project on the go which will utilise this throughout.

My personal preference in automotive environments for small diameters and mixed signals is something with MQS contacts. They are well designed and reliable. Relatively robust and tolerant about handling. Crimping has good margins so that slight misalignment doesn't lead to damaged mechanism (that's where molex is horrible). Pinning and Un-Pinning is absolutely no problem and often works without special tools and Yoga-Like six hand operation, unlike others.

And if you want to Pfusch yourself some quick dirty prototype solution, it is tolerant about "creative solutions".

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #97056 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:48 am »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, those DEFINITELY aren’t the original feet.  I’m sure it had something along the lines of the HP feet, squarish and likely with some sort of overhang to grip the top of another instrument beneath it as the HP ones do.  Though I suppose aftermarket feet are better than the usual no feet you see on so many things...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97057 on: August 10, 2021, 06:26:04 am »
Exactly. My 8100A has rectangular feet (although I only got 3 of the 4) with a lip on the outer edge that would follow the contour of the chamfer of a similar Fluke enclosure below it.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97058 on: August 10, 2021, 06:31:50 am »
I disassembled one, and the crystal is a nonstandard copper-cased part fixed by a screw (see my thesis). If you have a Bliley BGSCH-61 or other replacement it would fit into the cavern (with some heat compound paste).

The crystal must be an SC-cut on 3rd OT in series mode, and the HP10811A has a b-mode suppression network that wont work with normal crystals.

I wonder what cut this one is?
Very old 1MHz crystal from 522x series counter OCXO

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97059 on: August 10, 2021, 06:45:25 am »
@Specmaster
You got the £100 Tek 720 then  :-+
Not guilty me lord, don't have a need for one now.

DOH,
Thought it was you. Glad it went to a TEA member.
It looked baerly used, the probes would cost more.

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97060 on: August 10, 2021, 06:56:04 am »

* hi, guests! *
Seen more, it's 140+ right now.

236 right now !  :popcorn:

A lot of them will just be search engines crawling the web.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #97061 on: August 10, 2021, 07:10:15 am »

-Pat

-Pat

(Attachment Link)

Nice find!

They are very very nice... i am lucky to have one.

but incl shipping was around 200.- EUR , i got a bit grazy.. i wanted it, but got it... but is in amazing shape
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #97062 on: August 10, 2021, 07:17:03 am »
Nice find!

but incl shipping was around 200.- EUR , i got a bit grazy.. i wanted it, but got it... but is in amazing shape

Tony, yours looks fresh out of the box!  That thing's in Concours condition.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #97063 on: August 10, 2021, 07:21:02 am »
Nice find!

Tony, yours looks fresh out of the box!  That thing's in Concours condition.

-Pat

Thank you, yes after some cleaning looked new, took it all apart :)
i know what i was buying they has some home made calibration sheet with it... so i could spend some more.
let me know if you or someone else needs pictures from the bottom feet or any other.. i am happy to do so
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97064 on: August 10, 2021, 07:50:52 am »
WOW !! Thanks for that !! A one liner cpomment I could easily have missed when skimming 2+ pages worth of TEA ! Glad I took the time to read each and every comment !  :o

Yes, reading this thread can be a challenge itself. Things go by pretty fast. Zoooom!

You got some experiences in this respect?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97065 on: August 10, 2021, 07:52:14 am »

* hi, guests! *

I saw peaks of 250+ guests being here in our little TEA cave.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97066 on: August 10, 2021, 07:56:58 am »
I'm waiting until something goes snap inside SMF. We should be being paid commission for this testing  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97067 on: August 10, 2021, 08:11:44 am »
Perhaps, we are the most entertaining part here in the EEVBlog forum.

Testing, Entertaining and Acquisitions - TEA   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97068 on: August 10, 2021, 08:42:01 am »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, those DEFINITELY aren’t the original feet.  I’m sure it had something along the lines of the HP feet, squarish and likely with some sort of overhang to grip the top of another instrument beneath it as the HP ones do.  Though I suppose aftermarket feet are better than the usual no feet you see on so many things...

-Pat

Correct Fluke feet, taken from an 8505A.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97069 on: August 10, 2021, 09:05:45 am »
Desoldering station arrived already. Haven't powered it up yet but seems fairly good for the money. The only complaint so far is it's really easy to knock the gun off the stand. May need to find a suitable mod for it to make that less of an issue.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #97070 on: August 10, 2021, 09:15:22 am »
On the other side of the coin. Incorrect hp feet because we know they all get lost in a black hole.  :-DD

(Self adhesive felt feet 3/4 inch diameter. Work well)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #97071 on: August 10, 2021, 09:39:55 am »
My feet are gray
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:53:12 am by tonyalbus »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97072 on: August 10, 2021, 09:40:49 am »
A reasonably sized piece of boat anchory:
eBay Italy item 154559345492.
Siemens R2020, If only I could find a use for it....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97073 on: August 10, 2021, 09:41:23 am »
Here we have first tests - in principle it is working. We can see gain going up around 900MHz, and resonance might come after that - future measurement might tell.
But principle works  :-+
Gain:

Loading with 1.2pF is not stellar but still better than usual probe:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97074 on: August 10, 2021, 10:09:53 am »
Desoldering station arrived already. Haven't powered it up yet but seems fairly good for the money. The only complaint so far is it's really easy to knock the gun off the stand. May need to find a suitable mod for it to make that less of an issue.
What I do with mine is push the gun all the way back in the holder, under the retaining ring, then I have the whole unit right at the back of my bench and to one side, so that the cable and vacuum tube hang down the side of the bench and not on it, job done. Never yet managed to knock it out of its holder when its on, oh and of course, I only have it on when I'm just about to use it, so if it does get knocked out, its not hot. Hope that helps.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf