Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18107685 times)

Vince, Robert763 and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96150 on: August 01, 2021, 12:11:37 pm »
Heads up for UK TE folk. New museum: https://www.museumofeverythingelse.com/

Full of Nixie tubes, VFDs, scopes and weird stuff. Run by the dude with the Furby organ.

It is in Kent, which saves Debbie from being dragged down there. 

Still hoping to visit Blechley Park.  Been on my list for ages, but it is too darn far for a day trip and never seems to fit in the schedule for a weekend in London.    Debbie might actually enjoy Blechley.    (She is a statistics guru and does all sorts of number crunching...)

It’s a good day out. Don’t forget TNMOC as well. Lots of cool stuff in there.  Attached a couple of photos:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, tonyalbus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #96151 on: August 01, 2021, 12:33:36 pm »
I am fairly well covered as far as good quality Resistors but these are a good set of bits in Oz for not a lot of $ eBay auction: #184603695622

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #96152 on: August 01, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »
Remember the frequency difference meter I've made to test my GPSDO?

Now I've made another one, looks way more simple, doesn't it?

Not only it's less complex, it has about one decade better noise floor in comparison with the 100MHz PLL based device. I'll redo the PLLs some day, because there's some major flaws inside causing that high noise floor.

The new one uses simple divide-by-four circuits to provide in-phase and quadrature of the 10MHz input signals (now at 2.5MHz). These are fed into simple XOR gates and RC lowpass filtered. You get two triangle waveforms at 90° phase shift, these are input to an AD7793 high-resolution ADC. Do the math and get the frequency difference.
The new unit has three inputs, one reference and two frequencies that are compared to the reference. So I can monitor two devices vs. a third one at the same time (hopefully saving a few of these 24h debug sessions ;) ).

For the first test, I'll be comparing one of the GPSDO radio clock vs. an FRS rubidium and the TruePosition GPSDO.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:54:36 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96153 on: August 01, 2021, 01:10:01 pm »
This is the first measurement, with all the devices been just powered on:

Yellow is TruePosition GPSDO vs. mine, green is FRS vs. mine. Left axis is frequency difference in Hz, so one division equals 0.1ppb (or 1e-10).

Edit: second graph showing the noise floor of the new difference meter, for visual comparison (same axis): green is zero difference, yellow is 0.0001Hz difference (or 0.01ppb / 1e-11)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:27:25 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, syau, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #96154 on: August 01, 2021, 01:14:42 pm »
If I really wanted to attack... there would be a much easier target ..... The MARMITE !!!   Just the smell of it had me puke ! Seeing people actually not only EATING the stuff,  but even seemingly highly ENJOYING IT..... has me baffled !! :scared:

Yeah.  I tried Marmite once .... bleeeaaaggghhh.

Do it right - go for the Vegemite!!   :-+

(No, they are NOT the same thing - not by a long chalk!)

Nothing at all wrong with Marmite, it's lovely really, trust me, just not at breakfast though.

Time of day has nothing to do with it.  To me, Marmite just tastes "off" once you've had Vegemite.

I heard Marmite was made of ground up Marmots and recycled Masonite, hence the name... >:D

Wartime Austerity Measures and all that... wot, wot... ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96155 on: August 01, 2021, 01:24:47 pm »
[...]

The new one uses simple divide-by-four circuits to provide in-phase and quadrature of the 10MHz input signals (now at 2.5MHz). These are fed into simple XOR gates and RC lowpass filtered. You get two triangle waveforms at 90° phase shift, these are input to an AD7793 high-resolution ADC. Do the math and get the frequency difference.
The new unit has three inputs, one reference and two frequencies that are compared to the reference. So I can monitor two devices vs. a third one at the same time (hopefully saving a few of these 24h debug sessions ;) ).

Great results and project in general  :clap:  :popcorn:
To me it sounds like it is related to a Dual Mixer Time Difference DMTD?
Where the two signals to be measured are mixed with an offset oscillator and the resulting waveforms LPF'd and compared by a counter?
With your contraption they are mixed each with the reference as well? but as I and Q components and the output digitized,
but you have no amplitude difference (it's all square anyway?) so only phase information is what is relevant and used?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96156 on: August 01, 2021, 01:27:38 pm »
So how come every time there is a spike in the cases you Aussies clean out all the toilet paper?  :-// ;D

Surprisingly last short break TP only became reduced stock not wiped out. I am hoping around the country there is some idiots unable to put cars in Garages for years to come and have to look over their shoulders to make sure no one is watching their embarrassment every time they open the door  >:D

He's covering up. Truth is, because they place the bog roll in the incorrect underhand orientation and their toilets swirl backwards, every time they flush it empties the whole fucking roll.

As one might imagine, that does place a high emphasis on making sure you have adequate stocks in case you have to go more than two days between TP runs.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #96157 on: August 01, 2021, 01:35:47 pm »
Vegemite is Marmite with lots more salt and sugar, as less of the ingredients with the interesting flavours
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #96158 on: August 01, 2021, 01:37:39 pm »
This oughta be fun. A cobbled-together 3D print / soup can cutter to trim nicely around my irrigation heads in the yard. Attaches to the B&D weed eater.

Texas chain saw massacre guy step aside - there's a new guy in town.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96159 on: August 01, 2021, 01:39:11 pm »
[...]

Great results and project in general  :clap:  :popcorn:
To me it sounds like it is related to a Dual Mixer Time Difference DMTD?
Where the two signals to be measured are mixed with an offset oscillator and the resulting waveforms LPF'd and compared by a counter?
With your contraption they are mixed each with the reference as well? but as I and Q components and the output digitized,
but you have no amplitude difference (it's all square anyway?) so only phase information is what is relevant and used?

Thanks!
I've read some papers about the DMTD (before and while I built the first one).

Anyway, the first one (100MHz PLL) isn't a DMTD, I've had some ideas on my own that I wanted to test:

One 100MHz PLL is offset by a slightly variable 125Hz signal, the other one is just 10x the input frequency. Then it's mixed down to a 125Hz beat frequency. Within the uC, there's another I/Q mixer that mixes the 125Hz beat frequency down to DC. Its output drives a control loop that keeps the phase constant (e.g. Q is alway zero) by varying the 125Hz signal frequency. As a result, the 125Hz offset signal frequency minus 125Hz equals 10 times the frequency difference of the inputs. The problem is the not-so-good 125Hz subtraction stage (by an I/Q mixer) to offset the first 100MHz PLL, it produces quite an amount of noise.
Next iteration will use DMTD principles.

The new one directly compares the input frequencies by mixing them down to DC (all digital). Each input is fed into an divide-by-four circuit with I/Q output. Two XOR gates do the mixing part (one input I / Q, other input I only), after RC filtering in a triangle wave proportional to the phase difference of the input signals. ADC and software measure du/dt of the mixed down signal and calculate frequency difference. Theoretically one needs only the I (or Q) part, but the triangle isn't very linear at the ends (near GND / VCC), so software automatically switches between them, and by having both signals one can derive the sign of the difference. Amplitude is "1" by definition.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:42:25 pm by capt bullshot »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96160 on: August 01, 2021, 01:39:18 pm »
Just watched a local sparky firm on youtube, out on a "fire in junction box" call -- screw terminals badly applied, replaced with Wago 221, of course. "They won't fail and heat up like screw terminals." 

:-DD

dragon-ticklingishly,

/M

mnem
"...for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #96161 on: August 01, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
Went to a provincial hamfest today, the first one for years.

Lots of stuff that should be put in recycling waste bins, lots of beer bellies, too few masks, fortunately most stalls were outside.

Was about to look a brass and mahogany box with many an in resistors, but the bloke in front of me nabbed it. Got something else that I don't need, condition unknown. If it works I'll flip it, if not then it cost less than the petrol any way.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96162 on: August 01, 2021, 01:45:13 pm »

Full of Nixie tubes, VFDs, scopes and weird stuff. Run by the dude with the Furby organ.

I posted that in here almost a year ago, when he did the megaDrone. All y'all motherfuckers dogpiled me cuz of all the old TE you assumed he was busting up for circuits to make oscillators out of.

mnem
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:53:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #96163 on: August 01, 2021, 01:46:24 pm »
Vegemite is Marmite with lots more salt and sugar, as less of the ingredients with the interesting flavours

We have done this before and you were WRONG about the Sugar last time!
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96164 on: August 01, 2021, 01:46:36 pm »
OK enough of the foodie stuff, back to TEA.
I went to my first hamfest/radio rally in over two years this morning (missed a bunch pre-covid due to being overseas for work). Only a small one and didn't stay long. I took the new dog and she was not totally happy, still a bit nervous.
I did however score big time. A HP 8640B. I've been after a low phase noise generator (at the right price) either a 8640B or TF2017 for many years.  This one has option 001 the wide range udio oscillator. I'm not bothered abot the internal doubler, 'Ive plenty of UHF signal generators and an external doubler if I need it.
The photo is as bought, I' slowly bringing it up to temperature. Supposed to be workig and the RAF calibration stickers are in place so it's not been messed with.
The big question (other than will it work) how much? £40, yes forty, I didn't miss a digit. I had the cash out before he changed his mind.   ;D
Also picked up a Rapco 1804 P2 GPSDO for £20  no I don't need another GPSDO but this is TEA
Wow, if that actually works then you did very well getting that one  :-+

Just been running some tests and it looks lke I have a fully functional, very tidy, post 1984 (from serial #) HP 8640B  ;D
On of my best rally buys for years.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96165 on: August 01, 2021, 01:52:59 pm »
This oughta be fun. A cobbled-together 3D print / soup can cutter to trim nicely around my irrigation heads in the yard. Attaches to the B&D weed eater.

Texas chain saw massacre guy step aside - there's a new guy in town.  :-DD

Doubles as a cup-digger for your own personal Mini-golf in the back yard, too ehhh...?  >:D

mnem
3DP FTW!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96166 on: August 01, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »

I posted that in here almost a year ago, when he did the megaDrone. All y'all motherfuckers dogpiled me cuz of all the old TE he was busting up for circuits to make oscillators out of.

mnem

Yes I've know about this for a long time, as I do watch some of the videos on both the LMNC & second channel for the museum he has been working on. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-QuVLhCc4hmJaiLSCMwcw
The Solartron LM1420 voltmeter & Tek 585 scope are amongst the items he has acquired for the museum.
Bit surprised he hasn't flogged the Bradley calibrators to fund his other purchases.

Not sure he knows what this is  :-DD

David
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:02:04 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96167 on: August 01, 2021, 01:57:41 pm »
Went to a provincial hamfest today, the first one for years.

Lots of stuff that should be put in recycling waste bins, lots of beer bellies, too few masks, fortunately most stalls were outside.

Was about to look a brass and mahogany box with many an in resistors, but the bloke in front of me nabbed it. Got something else that I don't need, condition unknown. If it works I'll flip it, if not then it cost less than the petrol any way.

If it was Kings Lynn you missed a nice 8640B  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96168 on: August 01, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »

By "the ingredients with the interesting flavours" you mean "the stuff that tastes like ass", right...?  :-DD

mnem
"Thanks folks... I'll be here all week..."   

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96169 on: August 01, 2021, 02:01:07 pm »

We have done this before and you were WRONG about the Sugar last time!
Truth is that both products are VERY similar and both derived out of waste products from beer brewing process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96170 on: August 01, 2021, 02:03:49 pm »
I rest my case. >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #96171 on: August 01, 2021, 02:08:45 pm »
But, as Bean said, the lockdown rush this time around has been fleeting.  I was at Aldi a couple of days ago and their TP stock was FULL.  Two weeks earlier, it was very thin ... but not empty.

Pancake thin, or crêpe thin..?   :popcorn:

Paper thin ...
Tissue thin ...

(What I'm talking about is not fit for ingestion by anything other than a septic tank)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:11:27 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96172 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:05 pm »

I posted that in here almost a year ago, when he did the megaDrone. All y'all motherfuckers dogpiled me cuz of all the old TE he was busting up for circuits to make oscillators out of.

mnem

Yes I've know about this for a long time, as I do watch some of the videos on both the LMNC & second channel for the museum he has been working on. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-QuVLhCc4hmJaiLSCMwcw
The Solartron LM1420 voltmeter & Tek 585 scope are amongst the items he has acquired for the museum.
Bit surprised he hasn't flogged the Bradley calibrators to fund his other purchases.

Not sure he knows what this is  :-DD

David
Strange that somone into electronic music doesn't know the difference between a voltage divider and a decade box.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96173 on: August 01, 2021, 02:13:04 pm »

I posted that in here almost a year ago, when he did the megaDrone. All y'all motherfuckers dogpiled me cuz of all the old TE you assumed he was busting up for circuits to make oscillators out of.

mnem
The Solartron LM1420 voltmeter & Tek 585 scope are amongst the items he has acquired for the museum. Bit surprised he hasn't flogged the Bradley calibrators to fund his other purchases. Not sure he knows what this is  :-DD

https://youtu.be/5lMrZh5gKXE

David

I think he knows a bit more than is apparent; he made a trillion years countup timer out of timer modules and knew enough to make the circuit and have the PCBs made up. Not sure how much of that was him vs his friends, but hey... that's what design is all aboot. You do what you know how to, and tap friends or hire people who know what you don't.  :-//

Point being that I suspect the whole "What the hell is this thing...?" ??? cheerfully ignorant noob bit is mostly part of his online persona; how he sells his yoobToob.

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:19:41 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96174 on: August 01, 2021, 02:28:27 pm »
...Now I've made another one, looks way more simple, doesn't it?

Not only it's less complex, it has about one decade better noise floor in comparison with the 100MHz PLL based device. I'll redo the PLLs some day, because there's some major flaws inside causing that high noise floor...

So does that mean you'll finally be able to tell us which one of these is showing you what time it is right now...?   :-DD

No, seriously... it's good to see someone doing actual EE stuff in here...  ;)

mnem
Ifni knows I can't be arsed to... Even with stuff I know how to do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf