Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16858553 times)

Cesar_D, Vince, wkb and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96125 on: August 01, 2021, 06:57:56 am »
So how come every time there is a spike in the cases you Aussies clean out all the toilet paper?  :-// ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #96126 on: August 01, 2021, 07:13:58 am »

This wouldn't be horribly overpriced even on the BIN if the description is truthful:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255070849654

Thank you.

I now own that. It does indeed look new based on the binding posts.

That is HORRENDOUSLY cheap for the condition. Usually £200 for a manky one and they are about £800 new in that condition  :-DD

The weird reading on the display is expected as well as none of the measurement buttons are poked in.

Edit: used to own one years ago

Did you take care of the suspect from the top left corner(yes, that's a picture of mines)?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #96127 on: August 01, 2021, 07:29:43 am »
So how come every time there is a spike in the cases you Aussies clean out all the toilet paper?  :-// ;D

Surprisingly last short break TP only became reduced stock not wiped out. I am hoping around the country there is some idiots unable to put cars in Garages for years to come and have to look over their shoulders to make sure no one is watching their embarrassment every time they open the door  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96128 on: August 01, 2021, 07:45:28 am »
Did you take care of the suspect from the top left corner(yes, that's a picture of mines)?

Oh yes 100%. The first thing that happens to any inbound kit is it is de-RIFA’ed.

I’m probably going to crack the new E3630A open as well and check it. It’s been on a shelf for the last 10 years in theory so you never know what moisture ingress has done to the buggers.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #96129 on: August 01, 2021, 09:38:31 am »

Shit happens.

But, as Bean said, the lockdown rush this time around has been fleeting.  I was at Aldi a couple of days ago and their TP stock was FULL.  Two weeks earlier, it was very thin ... but not empty.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #96130 on: August 01, 2021, 09:46:17 am »

Shit happens.

But, as Bean said, the lockdown rush this time around has been fleeting.  I was at Aldi a couple of days ago and their TP stock was FULL.  Two weeks earlier, it was very thin ... but not empty.

Pancake thin, or crêpe thin..?   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96131 on: August 01, 2021, 09:51:28 am »
Just watched a local sparky firm on youtube, out on a "fire in junction box" call -- screw terminals badly applied, replaced with Wago 221, of course. "They won't fail and heat up like screw terminals." 

:-DD

dragon-ticklingishly,

/M

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96132 on: August 01, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
Nearly all our lockdown restrictions were lifted weeks ago but with this delta variant rearing it's ugly head I fully expect a new lockdown. Now that my medical issues are pretty much taken care of I scheduled my first shot for Monday morning. I'll be sure to wear my "I hate people" t-shirt when I go.  :-DD
Yes, I think that you're correct about there will be another lockdown, our restrictions have been lifted, and now the government are claiming cases are in decline, which I seriously doubt. Only yesterday I heard on the news the opposite is true. I suspect the real truth is that cases are rising quite rapidly as far as the medical profession are concerned, but the government have possibly come with a revised method of how these are recorded to make the figures look lower in order to discredit the NHS so that they and the public shoulder the blame for the resultant chaos and thus make selling the NHS even easier.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #96133 on: August 01, 2021, 09:52:17 am »
Let me pour some fire into the gasoline ...

Nagoya style breakfast

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96134 on: August 01, 2021, 09:57:34 am »
Oh now that's nice  :-+

Beats my blueberry wheats  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96135 on: August 01, 2021, 10:07:53 am »
Nearly all our lockdown restrictions were lifted weeks ago but with this delta variant rearing it's ugly head I fully expect a new lockdown. Now that my medical issues are pretty much taken care of I scheduled my first shot for Monday morning. I'll be sure to wear my "I hate people" t-shirt when I go.  :-DD
Yes, I think that you're correct about there will be another lockdown, our restrictions have been lifted, and now the government are claiming cases are in decline, which I seriously doubt. Only yesterday I heard on the news the opposite is true. I suspect the real truth is that cases are rising quite rapidly as far as the medical profession are concerned, but the government have possibly come with a revised method of how these are recorded to make the figures look lower in order to discredit the NHS so that they and the public shoulder the blame for the resultant chaos and thus make selling the NHS even easier.

Cases are declining now. The hospitalisations are rising as there's a "phase lag" of approximately 2-3 weeks after the peak. Plus quite frankly most of the folk in the NHS are literally incapable of looking at the rumours going around their own establishment. I experienced a lot of that from an actual doctor yesterday who was seriously misinformed about such matters.

We're waltzing into conspiracy theory territory here.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #96136 on: August 01, 2021, 10:11:22 am »

Coffee, homemade bread and jam was mine but lamb shanks, roasted spuds and cheese coated broccoli for dinner washed down with a couple of double JB's and coke.......that's me done for the day.....10pm Sunday  :=\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96137 on: August 01, 2021, 10:17:47 am »

And my yoghurt with the Luxury Fruit And Nut Müsli, Lidl own brand -- probably the most rich and complete müsli there is on the market here. Gorgeous though.

Now, am making tomato soup from scratch. Will heat some "buns" from the freezer to go with it. I've been saving a 5-pack of my own Brötchen/Semmerl/Rolls that I made with dark poppy seeds on.

Obligatory comms work: The Rπ that failed yesterday evening with "no i2c bus devices found" was rebooted the Norwegian way (pulling power to it) during the Discord session, and once it'd come back up (with some ferrules on the 5V supply line for good measure) I was able to verify that reports were coming in on the sensors.

Then, this morning, as I was patching Windows for the youngest one, I also put in a second Cat5E jack in his room, saving him from having to daisy-chain the PC off his Snom IP phone. As a result, he went from 100Mbit to GE LAN connection, which of course just affects his local work because the fibre still is capped to 100M.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96138 on: August 01, 2021, 10:35:45 am »
...I won't put up with the "bread" that's found in North America. I have my own sourdough culture and make baguettes from it.

For a whole new rabbit-hole of bready nerdery, start at: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1140945355992965121.html

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96139 on: August 01, 2021, 10:39:53 am »
Heads up for UK TE folk. New museum: https://www.museumofeverythingelse.com/

Full of Nixie tubes, VFDs, scopes and weird stuff. Run by the dude with the Furby organ.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:42:09 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #96140 on: August 01, 2021, 10:43:00 am »

Full of Nixie tubes, VFDs, scopes and weird stuff. Run by the dude with the Furby organ.

"Look Mum, no computer!"

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96141 on: August 01, 2021, 10:47:07 am »
Further video

The following users thanked this post: RtBNL, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96142 on: August 01, 2021, 11:19:48 am »
Guys in the UK, Shpock is beginning to look like a secondary source of gear to eBay with some sellers willing to ship items for those buyers who cannot collect. There is a buyer protection program which is a premium on top of the buy it prices and shipping cost. Not sure if this is a set cost or a percentage of the final value, but on my recent purchase of gear, price was £50 and the on cost for protection was £3.70. Shpock handle the payments using debit or credit cards.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96143 on: August 01, 2021, 11:24:28 am »
Interesting. I shall start looking on there. I notice a lot of people giving up on eBay now. Thanks for the tip off  :-+

Also nice to see the eBay and gumtree monopoly being broken.

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96144 on: August 01, 2021, 11:32:33 am »

Cases are declining now. The hospitalisations are rising as there's a "phase lag" of approximately 2-3 weeks after the peak. Plus quite frankly most of the folk in the NHS are literally incapable of looking at the rumours going around their own establishment. I experienced a lot of that from an actual doctor yesterday who was seriously misinformed about such matters.

We're waltzing into conspiracy theory territory here.
I think that you might find the cases are going down because there is less actual testing going on now as a result of the altered conditions required for testing. Therefore if testing is being reduced, so will the number of positive results. There have been many reports of people experiencing problems in getting a test and even home kits supply is being interrupted presently.

It is also largely reported that the government have already laid the necessary groundwork in parliament for the possible privatisation of the NHS using the emergency powers and their massive majority.  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96145 on: August 01, 2021, 11:42:15 am »
OK enough of the foodie stuff, back to TEA.
I went to my first hamfest/radio rally in over two years this morning (missed a bunch pre-covid due to being overseas for work). Only a small one and didn't stay long. I took the new dog and she was not totally happy, still a bit nervous.
I did however score big time. A HP 8640B. I've been after a low phase noise generator (at the right price) either a 8640B or TF2017 for many years.  This one has option 001 the wide range udio oscillator. I'm not bothered abot the internal doubler, 'Ive plenty of UHF signal generators and an external doubler if I need it.
The photo is as bought, I' slowly bringing it up to temperature. Supposed to be workig and the RAF calibration stickers are in place so it's not been messed with.
The big question (other than will it work) how much? £40, yes forty, I didn't miss a digit. I had the cash out before he changed his mind.   ;D
Also picked up a Rapco 1804 P2 GPSDO for £20  no I don't need another GPSDO but this is TEA
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:45:22 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #96146 on: August 01, 2021, 11:52:08 am »
Guys in the UK, Shpock is beginning to look like a secondary source of gear to eBay with some sellers willing to ship items for those buyers who cannot collect. There is a buyer protection program which is a premium on top of the buy it prices and shipping cost. Not sure if this is a set cost or a percentage of the final value, but on my recent purchase of gear, price was £50 and the on cost for protection was £3.70. Shpock handle the payments using debit or credit cards.

It's always good to find new ways of spending money on TE.

The search method in there will take some getting used to.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96147 on: August 01, 2021, 11:59:40 am »
I went to my first hamfest/radio rally in over two years this morning (missed a bunch pre-covid due to being overseas for work). Only a small one and didn't stay long. I took the new dog and she was not totally happy, still a bit nervous.
I did however score big time. A HP 8640B. I've been after a low phase noise generator (at the right price) either a 8640B or TF2017 for many years.  This one has option 001 the wide range udio oscillator. I'm not bothered abot the internal doubler, 'Ive plenty of UHF signal generators and an external doubler if I need it.
The photo is as bought, I' slowly bringing it up to temperature. Supposed to be workig and the RAF calibration stickers are in place so it's not been messed with.
The big question (other than will it work) how much? £40, yes forty, I didn't miss a digit. I had the cash out before he changed his mind.   ;D
Also picked up a Rapco 1804 P2 GPSDO for £20  no I don't need another GPSDO but this is TEA
Wow, if that actually works then you did very well getting that one  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96148 on: August 01, 2021, 12:09:07 pm »

It is in Kent, which saves Debbie from being dragged down there. 

Still hoping to visit Blechley Park.  Been on my list for ages, but it is too darn far for a day trip and never seems to fit in the schedule for a weekend in London.    Debbie might actually enjoy Blechley.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96149 on: August 01, 2021, 12:09:23 pm »

Oh now that 8640B is a bargain and a half at £40. May you be blessed with unbroken gears, properly imprisoned contacts and non exploded hybrid  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf