Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16870479 times)

Vince, shakalnokturn, factory, nfmax, tggzzz, dxl and 237 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95250 on: July 22, 2021, 07:53:27 pm »
For the Dutch Germans and Belgians,
There is a Marconi 2955 for sale 475,- please buy it, before i do as a spare unit.
it is fully working, only pickup, Deventer, NL

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/doe-het-zelf-en-verbouw/meetapparatuur/m1729125553-marconi-2955.html
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95251 on: July 22, 2021, 08:05:58 pm »
For the Dutch Germans and Belgians,
There is a Marconi 2955 for sale 475,- please buy it, before i do as a spare unit.
it is fully working, only pickup, Deventer, NL

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/doe-het-zelf-en-verbouw/meetapparatuur/m1729125553-marconi-2955.html

Oh, shit. That's the one I want. Luckily for my wallet it's alleen ophalen...

Edit: For proper enheavyment, and losing the power meter and SA:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/193850859849?hash=item2d22696149:g:EqIAAOSwuC5f-hCo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:10:24 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95252 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:44 pm »
Ummm yeah... I was going to suggest that, but then I realized the resulting product would actually be this, which I own and is in a box in the shed:

Only with even less usability due to requiring an actual DOS-box instead of a laptop or tablet and almost as bad UI due to being made for WinXP...

mnem
There's enuf misery to go around without grabbing for more." ~mom
Bin the Hantek and get  proper PC 'scope.  Picoscope was the original and still one of the best for the money.   www.picotech.com

Ummm yeah... there's a reason it is in a box in the shed:wtf:

Personally, I feel the whole PC scope thing is just too much ass-ache anymore; big LCDs are cheap as chips, and modern standalone scopes are fukkin' awesome with datalogging/acquisition. Sure, there will always be a use-case; but what I was specifically talking aboot was trying to make a PC-scope out of one or more of those old PCI digitizer boards; there just isn't any decent UI to put agin' it without massive arse-ache. :-//

Which is the main problem with the Hantek; there's a reason we now have open-source firmware (more arse-ache) and software for it. The hardware is actually much more capable than the $60-100 pricetag and it too has a number of use-cases where no more is needed.  :P

mnem
Just not on my bench. ;)

I quite like the idea of a PC based scope, particularly Picoscope. The biggest problem with full hardware scopes is the software which is universally a bag of poop. Plus I’ve got a fuck off great big 27” screen in front of me anyway so some space saving is a good win.

Also if you’re doing protocol decoding it’s easy to cut and paste capture segments into your notepad and code.
I should've known you would come up with that use-case, bd. :-DD

Come on... I like the idea of a PC-based scope too, it's the execution that almost universally sucks out loud; just too many concessions against usability. The exception of PicoScope you're pointing to is hardly anything most of us in here would consider "affordable"; if it were, you'd already have one on your own bench, bd.

All this "convenience" is just compared to prehistoric digital scopes like my 54645A. Modern scopes with protocol decode plop it into a file you can manipulate on your PC just as easily.

As far as software... pretty much anything not coming in at PicoScope or Agilent prices is going to be shite; DUH! That's what you're paying for, whether it's in a box with a screen or one plugged into your PC so you can blow up two mission-critical instruments (3, if you count your big-arse monitor) at the same time... YAY! :-+

Otherwise, if you don't need that cut/paste simplicity you might as well have... my 54645A.

mnem
Hmmm... stir shit up, or goad bd into ponying up for a PicoScope... a win either way.  >:D

No it’s not going to happen. If I was running a business I’d grab one but I’m not.  I’m merely playing with stuff here. And while it costs significantly less than half of the stupid golf bats my colleagues buy I certainly don’t want to be even half as broke as they are if the shit hits the fan which it invariably does these days. So I’m going to stick with a cheaper unit and use my Saleae clone for logic analysis.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #95253 on: July 22, 2021, 08:18:56 pm »
*sigh* next week decision if I shell out 400kPesos ...
which I don't have.

And that's low ball for a house over here ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95254 on: July 22, 2021, 08:23:48 pm »
Want to see how much they are here. It’ll make you feel better  :-DD

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110025575

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95255 on: July 22, 2021, 08:35:43 pm »
*sigh* next week decision if I shell out 400kPesos ...
which I don't have.

And that's low ball for a house over here ...

I just had a very long, almost three hour long phone call with my best friend from when we were kids and he just bought a house.  We were talking about how eye-popping prices are and it's everywhere.  He's been in Australia for a few years now and that's where he bought.

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95256 on: July 22, 2021, 08:36:03 pm »
Want to see how much they are here. It’ll make you feel better  :-DD

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110025575

Holy cow, 725k Pounds - that's a lot of Test Equipment Money. Let's hope this house is outside of an airplane landing area. Although those HDR images are really deceiving... UK weather cannot be HDR'd  :-DD
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95257 on: July 22, 2021, 08:37:43 pm »
Nope. That’s actually under Heathrow approach just over the road from me  |O

As for HDR weather we do have it occasionally. Usually it’s grayscale though  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95258 on: July 22, 2021, 08:50:22 pm »
Pffft. Y'all wanna shit bricks, lookit the real estate around Toronto.

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95259 on: July 22, 2021, 08:50:56 pm »

As for HDR weather we do have it occasionally. Usually it’s grayscale though  :-DD

Heathrow approach... Ouch!

I lived in a Frankfurt Airport approach zone myself (the airport was ~20 km away) and I couldn't stand the airplanes flying in 500m altitude over my head from 5am till 10pm. The people in the proximity of the airport live in constant acoustic harassment but the prices for real estate are very high as if nothing happened!
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95260 on: July 22, 2021, 08:51:53 pm »
The Picoscope software is very good and constantly updated. They had to freeze it for th very The software includes serial protocol decoding as standard including things like ARINC 429.

Yeah pricing is reasonable as well. Half way between China and Keysight but with Keysight support and in same country should poop need to be delivered by hand :)
Should poop need to be delivered by hand, you'll get stinky fingers  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95261 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:39 pm »

mnem

Hey, stop cheering us up with #CanadianThings!  :-DD

Those prices... RIP!  :scared:

vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #95262 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:47 pm »

mnem

What, is Toronto catching up to Vancouver?  Even Ottawa is nuts, even though it is still a far cry from Toronto prices.
Peasants (me) live out in the countryside.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95263 on: July 22, 2021, 09:04:56 pm »
The Picoscope software is very good and constantly updated. They had to freeze it for th very The software includes serial protocol decoding as standard including things like ARINC 429.

Yeah pricing is reasonable as well. Half way between China and Keysight but with Keysight support and in same country should poop need to be delivered by hand :)
Should poop need to be delivered by hand, you'll get stinky fingers  :-DD
This is TEAnonymous; we have special equipment for that. >:D

mnem
...and knowing bd, he probably has a plan for that contingency, with an escape route... :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95264 on: July 22, 2021, 09:09:04 pm »

I lived in a Frankfurt Airport approach zone myself (the airport was ~20 km away) and I couldn't stand the airplanes flying in 500m altitude over my head from 5am till 10pm. The people in the proximity of the airport live in constant acoustic harassment but the prices for real estate are very high as if nothing happened!

It’s not unusual for dead frozen immigrants to land in peoples gardens around here.

https://news.sky.com/story/stowaway-found-dead-in-garden-after-falling-from-plane-near-heathrow-11752788

As for planes they don’t bother me now.  You get used to it after a bit  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, DH7DN

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95265 on: July 22, 2021, 09:10:09 pm »

mnem
What, is Toronto catching up to Vancouver?  Even Ottawa is nuts, even though it is still a far cry from Toronto prices.
Peasants (me) live out in the countryside.

Baby steps, canucki-yoda. Move my wife into the the sticks, yet we will.  ;)

mnem
"Fuck... I just saw another human being from my porch... time to move again. I knew Lake Kipawa was too urban."
"Calm down honey; that was just the sasquatch boy. We had his parents over for bridge last week and you got along just fine..." :o
"grrrrrr..."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:18:18 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95266 on: July 22, 2021, 09:10:19 pm »

Yeah, I can believe that because those houses are so handy for air crew or workers on the airport and also of course for frequent flyers, those estate agents think of every angle, they can turn a negative in a positive in their eyes.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #95267 on: July 22, 2021, 09:28:23 pm »

mnem

Hey, stop cheering us up with #CanadianThings!  :-DD

Those prices... RIP!  :scared:

Same or worse in Auckland NZ.  :o
Most residences have doubled in under 10 years.

Wealthy Cuz sold his 90 acre farm for $1m/yr capital gain to developers then bought a large waterfront house near Auckland central for $16m !
Crazy shit indeed and as he is always uncannily right with investments he won't get burnt.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DH7DN

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95268 on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:29 pm »

What about the stinking Kerosine?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95269 on: July 22, 2021, 09:50:48 pm »

I used to live due north of the centre of Heathrow, just about where that maps ends - draw a line straight up from the little picture of a plane and you'll see the road curve to the left where it went past the end of my road. Weirdly, it was nice and quiet there, even with six lanes of the M4 between me and the airport. Being off to the side at right angles to the runways really helps.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95270 on: July 22, 2021, 09:53:58 pm »

You can hide the smell with kerocosine.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95271 on: July 22, 2021, 09:59:32 pm »

It’s not unusual for dead frozen immigrants to land in peoples gardens around here.

https://news.sky.com/story/stowaway-found-dead-in-garden-after-falling-from-plane-near-heathrow-11752788

Pffftt....you wanna live in a noisy airport approach? My maternal grandparents lived in Howard Beach, Queens in the approach path to JFK which was about a half mile away. This was in the 1960's so it was during the transition from props to jets. DC-6/7's, Connies, with the occasional 707. Came over the house so low it shook and the TV with the rabbit ears antenna would break into vertical roll. All day long, every 2 minutes. It wasn't until the late 1970's that JFK changed their approach patterns in response to all the noise complaints.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #95272 on: July 22, 2021, 10:06:47 pm »
I used to live due north of the centre of Heathrow, just about where that maps ends - draw a line straight up from the little picture of a plane and you'll see the road curve to the left where it went past the end of my road. Weirdly, it was nice and quiet there, even with six lanes of the M4 between me and the airport. Being off to the side at right angles to the runways really helps.

Just so. Guess where I live relative to the local airport on top of the hill, and that was a very deliberate choice.

Curiously, some of my earliest memories are of watching the planes go into Heathrow from my back window in Hampton. Now I can do exactly the same from this house.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95273 on: July 22, 2021, 10:15:53 pm »

You can hide the smell with kerocosine.  :)

Naah, I think a shifting phase of pi instead of pi/2 is much more efficient.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95274 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:37 pm »

Pffftt....you wanna live in a noisy airport approach? My maternal grandparents lived in Howard Beach, Queens in the approach path to JFK which was about a half mile away. This was in the 1960's so it was during the transition from props to jets. DC-6/7's, Connies, with the occasional 707. Came over the house so low it shook and the TV with the rabbit ears antenna would break into vertical roll. All day long, every 2 minutes. It wasn't until the late 1970's that JFK changed their approach patterns in response to all the noise complaints.

Nah used to have Concorde here as shown in this video  :-DD

https://youtu.be/i1ShTUVIzCI

Aka cruise missile with seats  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf