Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16874087 times)

themadhippy, Vgkid and 96 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95225 on: July 22, 2021, 03:32:48 pm »
Light sabre wins.  - Always.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95226 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:37 pm »
Ummm yeah... I was going to suggest that, but then I realized the resulting product would actually be this, which I own and is in a box in the shed:

Sacrilege!  ;D   Shamelessly stolen meme:   

I need those shiny digitizers for waveform analysis and DSP. No worries, there is an army of 7 analogue oscilloscope in my lab!  ;D

Ahem... BLASPHEMER is the professional term, thank you. >:D

mnem
So I take it you actually want my Hantek... *sigh*   
Let me just see; how much is shipping to the benighted regions of Germany... that was 13 Rumpelstiltskin Lane, Dark Forest Bavaria, right...? :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95227 on: July 22, 2021, 03:38:02 pm »
And now for something completely different: Pokémon GO!

This guy has sixty-four smartphones mounted on his bicycle for hunting Pokémons.
WTF?!?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95228 on: July 22, 2021, 03:39:03 pm »

Not sure StyroPyro would agree, but w/e.

@Specmaster what do you use to preserve the lifespan of the filter on your Duratool desoldering pump? Picking solder out of it is going to kill it quite quickly imo. I decided to stick a wad of brillo pad type stuff in front of mine, as I couldn't find any pipe gauzes left from when I used to hit the Mary Jane.
I found one today while looking for something else and it reminded me to ask you. They are cheap enough on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133162703482
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95229 on: July 22, 2021, 03:40:36 pm »
This guy has sixty-four smartphones mounted on his bicycle for hunting Pokémons.
WTF?!?
Gotta catch them all!
Just rest assured we are blessed with a sane crazyness  >:D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95230 on: July 22, 2021, 03:45:37 pm »
There are also these that should be more applicable:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32998721556.html

Hey thanks for the advice ch_scr. Actually, I bought such a device (PCIe to PCI bridge). It worked perfectly with my other NI PCI-GPIB card. The PCIe/PCI bridge is standardized so therefore native drivers exist - no proprietary drivers needed.

I thought I could use this one for a full-length PCI card, such as NI PCI-5105. It works until the card starts drawing lot of power (>25 W) - suddenly the PC freezes and I have to reboot.

In order to supply enough power to the card, one has to connect the PCI bridge to a PC power supply. This is done by a MOLEX connector, which is placed really bad on the PCB.

There is a collision between the connector and the card (see picture), so this construction is unusable. I'll try to desolder the connector and put it on the bottom side of the PCB instead.

This PCIe-PCI bridge solution works fine in certain cases but you have to be careful because of unforeseen software and hardware issues. On a different system, I had Windows 10 Update (I think it was the major update in 2019) problems which were pinpointed down to the used PCIe/PCI bridge. Nevertheless, 20 bucks for a "maybe it will work" solution can be worth spending.

Just wanted to warn everybody from cheap chinesium ;D

Ummm yeah... I was going to suggest that, but then I realized the resulting product would actually be this, which I own and is in a box in the shed:

Only with even less usability due to requiring an actual DOS-box instead of a laptop or tablet and almost as bad UI due to being made for WinXP...

mnem
There's enuf misery to go around without grabbing for more." ~mom

Bin the Hantek and get  proper PC 'scope.  Picoscope was the original and still one of the best for the money.
www.picotech.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:47:16 pm by Robert763 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95231 on: July 22, 2021, 03:48:08 pm »

Only because he doesn't have a real (as in folded/solidified light; able to cut through armored steel bulkheads, etc) lightsaber to play with...  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:49:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95232 on: July 22, 2021, 04:30:15 pm »
@Specmaster what do you use to preserve the lifespan of the filter on your Duratool desoldering pump? Picking solder out of it is going to kill it quite quickly imo. I decided to stick a wad of brillo pad type stuff in front of mine, as I couldn't find any pipe gauzes left from when I used to hit the Mary Jane.
I found one today while looking for something else and it reminded me to ask you. They are cheap enough on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133162703482[/color][/size][/b]

I used to use discs cut out of cheap scotch-brite in the desoldering handle on my 2702; I'd just make sure to wash them carefully before installing to get rid of stray grit. Make sure you get some cheap Chinese scissors (disposable bandage scissors work well) as the abrasive will destroy the blades. That material is also available without abrasive as filter-stuff; but I don't know what they call it. :-//

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32763125127.html

After that, I use inline sanitary filters in the hose to the pump; I also use that on the fume extraction hose too. These are available cheaply at AliEx and any brewery supply house.

Replacing one difficult-to-obtain oversized aquarium pump was enough for this old dwagon. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:31:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95233 on: July 22, 2021, 04:46:30 pm »

Hey thanks for the advice ch_scr. Actually, I bought such a device (PCIe to PCI bridge). It worked perfectly with my other NI PCI-GPIB card. The PCIe/PCI bridge is standardized so therefore native drivers exist - no proprietary drivers needed.

I thought I could use this one for a full-length PCI card, such as NI PCI-5105. It works until the card starts drawing lot of power (>25 W) - suddenly the PC freezes and I have to reboot.

In order to supply enough power to the card, one has to connect the PCI bridge to a PC power supply. This is done by a MOLEX connector, which is placed really bad on the PCB.

There is a collision between the connector and the card (see picture), so this construction is unusable. I'll try to desolder the connector and put it on the bottom side of the PCB instead.

This PCIe-PCI bridge solution works fine in certain cases but you have to be careful because of unforeseen software and hardware issues. On a different system, I had Windows 10 Update (I think it was the major update in 2019) problems which were pinpointed down to the used PCIe/PCI bridge. Nevertheless, 20 bucks for a "maybe it will work" solution can be worth spending.

Only with even less usability due to requiring an actual DOS-box instead of a laptop or tablet and almost as bad UI due to being made for WinXP...

mnem
Bin the Hantek and get  proper PC 'scope.  Picoscope was the original and still one of the best for the money.   www.picotech.com

Ummm yeah... there's a reason it is in a box in the shed:wtf:

Personally, I feel the whole PC scope thing is just too much ass-ache anymore; big LCDs are cheap as chips, and modern standalone scopes are fukkin' awesome with datalogging/acquisition. Sure, there will always be a use-case; but what I was specifically talking aboot was trying to make a PC-scope out of one or more of those old PCI digitizer boards; there just isn't any decent UI to put agin' it without massive arse-ache. :-//

Which is the main problem with the Hantek; there's a reason we now have open-source firmware (more arse-ache) and software for it. The hardware is actually much more capable than the $60-100 pricetag and it too has a number of use-cases where no more is needed.  :P

mnem
Just not on my bench. ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:48:27 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95234 on: July 22, 2021, 04:48:23 pm »
I'm at ways end with the recap of my mixer. Did the last electrolytes today. Time to start adjusting it. How about some phantom voltage?

Fluke sez BAM.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95235 on: July 22, 2021, 04:50:35 pm »
You shut your dirty, dirty mouth.  :-DD

mnem
Also, nicely nuked.  :clap:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95236 on: July 22, 2021, 05:04:13 pm »

I found one today while looking for something else and it reminded me to ask you. They are cheap enough on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133162703482

Good point, I don't, I have been buying new filters, but those pipe gauzes look ideal apart from the dia. They need to be 18 mm, but they also look to be very flexible, so the extra 2 mm may not be a big deal after, I might try a pack and see how they work out.

I tend to get about 5 goes with the solder filter before it is too thin to be used again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #95237 on: July 22, 2021, 05:05:52 pm »
Dad joke of the week:

Looks more like a bad joke to me!

Do you know the difference between a bad joke and a dad joke?  When it becomes apparent ...  :horse:

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #95238 on: July 22, 2021, 05:19:13 pm »
but my last working pocketable/EveryDayCarry flashlight died on me yesterday, so I decided it was time to get after my little harem as nobody within a week's delivery had anything I actually like at a price I liked. ;)

Nice collection! I'm carrying a Led Lenser T2 which was given to me by a previous employer. It sits in a holster adjacent to a Leatherman Charge Ti which is also a tool from a (much more) previous employer. I also end up carrying a Petzl headlamp now and then, and as backup I've got a 3-cell D-type Maglite, which has been converted to LED with a 3rd party lamp replacement. I started carrying a flashlight 30+ years ago, but then it of course was a Mini Maglite with a glowing resistor and it sat next to a Victorinox Officier. Now I've got a Victorinox Cybertool, silly name, good tool, but it lives in the backpack with my cables and adapters kit.

I have a collection just of Petzl lamps (Okay, I have various collections of Petzl gear much more expensive than lamps).  Zoom, Tikka Tikka 2, Tikka Plus, Tikkina and even an original e+LITE.  Numerous of them get used regularly.

My Maglites mostly sit around since the LED conversion kits are out of stock or overpriced whenever I remember to look into it.  The 2xAA version was indispensable and have quite a few of those, along with a couple of 1xAAA and a 5xC.

FINE!  I will get back to work on increasing my DMM numbers to match flashlight numbers....  :horse:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95239 on: July 22, 2021, 05:58:06 pm »

mnem
Bin the Hantek and get  proper PC 'scope.  Picoscope was the original and still one of the best for the money.   www.picotech.com

Personally, I feel the whole PC scope thing is just too much ass-ache anymore; big LCDs are cheap as chips, and modern standalone scopes are fukkin' awesome with datalogging/acquisition. Sure, there will always be a use-case; but what I was specifically talking aboot was trying to make a PC-scope out of one or more of those old PCI digitizer boards; there just isn't any decent UI to put agin' it without massive arse-ache. :-//

Which is the main problem with the Hantek; there's a reason we now have open-source firmware (more arse-ache) and software for it. The hardware is actually much more capable than the $60-100 pricetag and it too has a number of use-cases where no more is needed.  :P

mnem
Just not on my bench. ;)

I quite like the idea of a PC based scope, particularly Picoscope. The biggest problem with full hardware scopes is the software which is universally a bag of poop. Plus I’ve got a fuck off great big 27” screen in front of me anyway so some space saving is a good win.

Also if you’re doing protocol decoding it’s easy to cut and paste capture segments into your notepad and code.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DH7DN

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95240 on: July 22, 2021, 06:10:04 pm »
The Picoscope software is very good and constantly updated. They had to freeze it for the very early hardware though. The software includes serial protocol decoding as standard including things like ARINC 429.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:14:12 pm by Robert763 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95241 on: July 22, 2021, 06:22:06 pm »
I've got the horizontal issue narrowed down on the Type 547. See schematic. The sweep signal is fine at the emitter of Q543. The sweep signal is either missing or distorted at the grids of V574A and V584A. In between we have Q554 and Q564. They are Germanium PNP 2N2207. Sound familiar? Those are the Germanium transistors which develop tin whiskers. I want to pull them and test them but so far I can't find them. I hope they are not integrated into this Horizontal switch deck because if they are I'll be screwed. I'll pick up on this later or tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95242 on: July 22, 2021, 06:41:25 pm »
[...]
After that, I use inline sanitary filters in the hose to the pump; I also use that on the fume extraction hose too. These are available cheaply at AliEx and any brewery supply house.

Replacing one difficult-to-obtain oversized aquarium pump was enough for this old dwagon. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

I found that my "old" fume filters were mostly clogged with condensated flux.
When drowned in IPA and flushed with compressed air they were almost good as new.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95243 on: July 22, 2021, 06:50:41 pm »
The Picoscope software is very good and constantly updated. They had to freeze it for th very The software includes serial protocol decoding as standard including things like ARINC 429.

Yeah pricing is reasonable as well. Half way between China and Keysight but with Keysight support and in same country should poop need to be delivered by hand :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #95244 on: July 22, 2021, 07:13:14 pm »
quick update:

had a look at 2 houses, the one with the HV line is off the list. The other one is actually quite nice and tomorrow I'll have an extended chat with my bank. Will also look at plan B so that if it falls through I have a second option.

Daughter got her grades for her 1st year of apprenticeship as a bio lab tech, and her average grade is very good. I'm very proud of her. She has to be brave for another month or so until the neurologist can have a look at her.

Hubby is waiting for his kidney test results.

In a spree of desperation shopping I stopped by at Reichelt. Picked up an SLA 3D printer (XYZ), an isolation transformer 220V 500W, a Bungard press to repair broken through hole contacts on dual layer PCBs and a 27" Iiyama gaming monitor. Need to stop doing that. Got too much stuff.
oh, I forgot. I also got a Uni-T meter (UT 131D) for mindbogglingly dirt cheap (2€50).
Anyway, this did not really cheer me up ...

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95245 on: July 22, 2021, 07:18:55 pm »
The Picoscope software is very good and constantly updated. They had to freeze it for th very The software includes serial protocol decoding as standard including things like ARINC 429.

Yeah pricing is reasonable as well. Half way between China and Keysight but with Keysight support and in same country should poop need to be delivered by hand :)

Source: https://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-1-chapter-4.html

No  :box:

USB oscilloscopes have their place on the desk. They also benefit from technological advances (better ADCs, FPGAs, more bandwidth, higher sampling rate, better software etc.) and are very capable tools, especially where you have to analyze complex patterns (e. g. protocol decoding). The "price" isn't just paying few bucks for a nifty gadget. Moreover, the price is higher complexity of the underlying system.

USB oscilloscopes can speed up the typical workflow "setup - measure - report" significantly where the analogue counterparts are a bit slower and inconvenient (but still on par). But yeah, once it's gone, it's gone  :-BROKE
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:29:41 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #95248 on: July 22, 2021, 07:45:53 pm »
Source: https://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-1-chapter-4.html

NOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

-Pat

What has been seen cannot be unseen.  :palm: :scared:

Yup.  Like that junkyard pic posted a while back, this too will haunt my dreams.   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95249 on: July 22, 2021, 07:46:11 pm »

mnem

mnem
Just not on my bench. ;)

I quite like the idea of a PC based scope, particularly Picoscope. The biggest problem with full hardware scopes is the software which is universally a bag of poop. Plus I’ve got a fuck off great big 27” screen in front of me anyway so some space saving is a good win.

Also if you’re doing protocol decoding it’s easy to cut and paste capture segments into your notepad and code.
I should've known you would come up with that use-case, bd. :-DD

Come on... I like the idea of a PC-based scope too, it's the execution that almost universally sucks out loud; just too many concessions against usability. The exception of PicoScope you're pointing to is hardly anything most of us in here would consider "affordable"; if it were, you'd already have one on your own bench, bd.

All this "convenience" is just compared to prehistoric digital scopes like my 54645A. Modern scopes with protocol decode plop it into a file you can manipulate on your PC just as easily.

As far as software... pretty much anything not coming in at PicoScope or Agilent prices is going to be shite; DUH! That's what you're paying for, whether it's in a box with a screen or one plugged into your PC so you can blow up two mission-critical instruments (3, if you count your big-arse monitor) at the same time... YAY! :-+

Otherwise, if you don't need that cut/paste simplicity you might as well have... my 54645A.

mnem
Hmmm... stir shit up, or goad bd into ponying up for a PicoScope... a win either way.  >:D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:50:42 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf