Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17715922 times)

6h8c and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95125 on: July 21, 2021, 03:17:38 pm »
The DE-5000 would only count if it has been hacked to measure voltage.

It is actually a very good low-resistance DCR meter.

And you can have my AN8008 (with it's deliciously crisp, huge 9999 count display) when you pry it from my cold dead claws. I'm actually thinking aboot grabbing a 2nd one next time I see 'em on sale.

mnem
 :popcorn:
How big are those digits in reality? The digits on my newly acquired Extech MG302 are 20mm top to bottom, which is bigger than my Brymen BM867 which I thought was big at 18mm.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95126 on: July 21, 2021, 03:21:56 pm »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, wolfy007, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95127 on: July 21, 2021, 03:22:21 pm »
Progress! Cold solder joint between pins 4 and 5 of the 12AU7 effectively shutting down the filament to one half of the tube. I also found a "ghost voltage" of approx .5V on the DC input at all times. If I short out that ghost voltage I can now set the zero on the meter on all voltage ranges and switching to Ohms results in full scale (and adjustable) deflection of the meter as it should. Yippie.  ;D

Next step is to chase down where that ghost voltage is coming from.

Nice work, now you need to polish that meter screen before you attempt to anywhere near that mocking Tek scope, please.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95128 on: July 21, 2021, 03:29:03 pm »

Dana Labs started in 1959 in Southern California, founded by some guys who left Beckman.  They took the name from the town they met in - Dana Point.  Interestingly to me, that’s were I stay when I travel out there for work.  Dana apparently sold to Racal in ‘79 and exited the multimeter business by '81

Digital voltmeter history from EE Times:
https://web.pa.msu.edu/people/edmunds/DVM_HP_3440a/digital_volt_meter_history.txt

-Pat

Google Street View shows a recently graded construction site where  Dana  used to be  2401 Campus Drive, Irvine.       Racal-Dana also had the adjacent building at  18912  Von Karmen. 

That building is still there on street view, but may be gone by now.   There is a sign on the lawn in front.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95129 on: July 21, 2021, 03:33:13 pm »
Progress! Cold solder joint between pins 4 and 5 of the 12AU7 effectively shutting down the filament to one half of the tube. I also found a "ghost voltage" of approx .5V on the DC input at all times. If I short out that ghost voltage I can now set the zero on the meter on all voltage ranges and switching to Ohms results in full scale (and adjustable) deflection of the meter as it should. Yippie.  ;D

Next step is to chase down where that ghost voltage is coming from.

Nice work, now you need to polish that meter screen before you attempt to anywhere near that mocking Tek scope, please.

No, I'm not touching the meter face. It's been epoxied in the past and I fear it's too fragile. It will keep it's battle scars as long as it works.

And bonus.....with that DC ghost voltage shorted out just for giggles I tried Ohms. It works and it's dead nuts.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95130 on: July 21, 2021, 03:34:13 pm »

Oh dear... I only have three within arm's reach, and one of them is in fact a Aneng AN8008.  :o

The situation becomes clearer once we once we re-assess the identity of a 'Dragon'. It is a MYTHICAL animal whose features are an amalgamation of a general perception of monstrosity with attributes of the bygone large reptilian predators, of which we shall take the tyrannosaurids as an example.
Those are known to have posessed very short arms.
Therefore, the abovementioned lack of instrument density in the direct reach of the induviduum in question must be regarded as sufficient and should not be seen as alarming.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95131 on: July 21, 2021, 03:34:34 pm »

And you can have my AN8008 (with it's deliciously crisp, huge 9999 count display) when you pry it from my cold dead claws. I'm actually thinking aboot grabbing a 2nd one next time I see 'em on sale.

mnem
How big are those digits in reality? The digits on my newly acquired Extech MG302 are 20mm top to bottom, which is bigger than my Brymen BM867 which I thought was big at 18mm.

I hope, this will answer your question:

Edit:
To me it is looking like a height of around 16mm.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:42:34 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95132 on: July 21, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
Nice one. Does it change if you wiggle the AC bal pot? I had one which had a leaky wafer. You've got the only good bit of that one now  :-DD

No change. I'll sort out the DCV first then go after the ACV. Dunno yet if it works and with my luck it's probably FUBAR.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95133 on: July 21, 2021, 03:48:44 pm »
My car meter is a Brymen!  :-DD

Got pictures back of the 34401A. It's a nope

Front looks ok:

Back does not!

It's missing the rear case frame, screws and the current fuse socket is mangled.

Running in opposite direction  :palm:

The screws are probably missing from when lots of phkt units were spliced together to make a "working" one. Didn't they change the input jacks from all red to red/black under the Agilent name? I have seem Agilent branded ones with all red jacks...

Here's a stack of hideously overpriced Agilent branded 34401A's:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383891069925

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #95134 on: July 21, 2021, 04:22:11 pm »
Here's a stack of hideously overpriced Agilent branded 34401A's:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383891069925

Ther recent price at Ramco and similar auctions has been >£400+uplift for HP34401As. You don't see them working, but they will have come from reasonable sources and not fiddled with.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95135 on: July 21, 2021, 04:24:14 pm »
Just collected this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154481777445?mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=1&mkcid=1&campid=5338778604&toolid=10001&customid=tractorpartsbodiesmorebulcom73.info-leeds-northrup-bridge-154481777445-2001:1c04:1317:1d00:7129:c2f4:ef8c:1098&mkevt=1
but in better condition and around the corner for 40 pesos  :-+

Worth that for the resistance decade. It's a big beast for just resistance. You also need a galavanometer or null indicator and a stable DC source. It would be a shame to break it for the resistance decade (assuming it's OK) but not many have the space for a bridge like that.
see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ln-4232-wheatstone-bridge/ for an earlier version.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95136 on: July 21, 2021, 04:25:36 pm »

Ther recent price at Ramco and similar auctions has been >£400+uplift for HP34401As. You don't see them working, but they will have come from reasonable sources and not fiddled with.

That's crazy money. I paid £225 for the last one  :-//

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95137 on: July 21, 2021, 04:30:56 pm »
My car meter is a Brymen!  :-DD

Got pictures back of the 34401A. It's a nope

Front looks ok:

Back does not!

It's missing the rear case frame, screws and the current fuse socket is mangled.

Running in opposite direction  :palm:

The screws are probably missing from when lots of phkt units were spliced together to make a "working" one. Didn't they change the input jacks from all red to red/black under the Agilent name? I have seem Agilent branded ones with all red jacks...

Well two buyers thought the price was OK. Seller is Telnet a TE dealer so his prices are nearer "retail" than bargain.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95138 on: July 21, 2021, 04:35:52 pm »
Oh dear... I only have three within arm's reach, and one of them is in fact a Aneng AN8008.  :o

Do I hear the sounds of a dwagon-sized BBQ pit being stoked and Conversational Cutlery rattling...? :scared: Does my DE-5000 count...?

mnem
Mercy, mercy, please... I have a babyVNA and tinySA at home that need to fed and clothed!!!

No, no, I had you down more as part of the "Tricoteuse avec Marshmallows" crowd.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #95139 on: July 21, 2021, 04:48:19 pm »
Just collected this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154481777445?mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=1&mkcid=1&campid=5338778604&toolid=10001&customid=tractorpartsbodiesmorebulcom73.info-leeds-northrup-bridge-154481777445-2001:1c04:1317:1d00:7129:c2f4:ef8c:1098&mkevt=1
but in better condition and around the corner for 40 pesos  :-+

Worth that for the resistance decade. It's a big beast for just resistance. You also need a galavanometer or null indicator and a stable DC source. It would be a shame to break it for the resistance decade (assuming it's OK) but not many have the space for a bridge like that.
see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ln-4232-wheatstone-bridge/ for an earlier version.

"not many have the space for a bridge like that" .. day 5 of 5 i do have a bigger one :)  stay tuned.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95140 on: July 21, 2021, 05:14:00 pm »

mnem

I suppose I should qualify my argument with "for its size" as it is only 130mm tall; here it is side x side with my 189. The display is larger and noticeably higher contrast than the 189 at pretty much any angle. I measure the digits (with my cheap digital calipers ;)) on the AN8008 at 18mm tall, compared to 12.8mm for the 189.

The combination of large, crisp display, flip-out stand and small size makes it an awesome 2nd/3rd meter on the bench, and a great pocket meter for going thrifting/hamfest-glomming, etc. Also nice is the fact it comes with a microfiber drawstring bag which offers essential protection without being too bulky in a pocket. It is a bit thick for a jeans pocket at ~26mm body/32mm raised portion of the switch, but def pocketable in most khakis or cargo pants.

I bought both of my AN800x meters for ~US$13 each; now they're twice that, which is what I meant by "if I actually find them on sale". :-//

Their main drawback is same as that of all "cheap DMMs"; the corners cut re: CAT Ratings. I certainly wouldn't use either of them for measuring anything higher than household electrical outlets over here at 120VAC; def would think twice aboot putting it across the legs of a range or dryer.

And before y'all dogpile me over that statement... yes, I know that a household outlet over here still could have the full 240VAC across it. 

mnem
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 05:21:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95141 on: July 21, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
just downloaded and installed an update for "waveforms". now my analog discovery2 has a curve tracer function!

it only sweeps to 5V but it looks like if you have the adapter plug-in ($50) it will sweep to 7.5V.

still like my home brew curve tracer better, but this new feature makes it worth downloading the new waveforms software if you already have an AD2.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95142 on: July 21, 2021, 05:22:53 pm »

Well then Mr Muppet eBay seller, if they are working then why not show them working? And also if you're going to clean them before dispatching, why not clean before listing them for sale?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95143 on: July 21, 2021, 05:28:10 pm »

Do I hear the sounds of a dwagon-sized BBQ pit being stoked and Conversational Cutlery rattling...? :scared: Does my DE-5000 count...?

mnem
Mercy, mercy, please... I have a babyVNA and tinySA at home that need to fed and clothed!!!

No, no, I had you down more as part of the "Tricoteuse avec Marshmallows" crowd.

While I do love the occasional pawful of toasted marshmallows (needle-sharp obsidian claws are handily fireproof ;)), I'm afraid I never mastered knitting.  :P

mnem
I could perhaps crochet you a doily tho, if I take some extra IBUs for the arthritis.  :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95144 on: July 21, 2021, 05:31:10 pm »

mnem

Sop teasing and tell us who you had in mind then.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95145 on: July 21, 2021, 06:03:58 pm »
So the data logger arrived today, and upon turning it over to give it a good outer visual inspection I heard a tiny rattle, which of course immediately reminded me "don't turn it on, take it apart!".   :-+

The rattler turned out to be a relatively benign plastic piece, looks like the "tooth" part of a retaining prong.

For scale and to make it visible that's a 3DP AAA battery store it's sitting on. As to where it's from... well, that remains a mystery; a very careful internal inspection revealed no broken plastics. Possibly part of the retaining clip for the module that plugs in the back? If I manage to find one of those I'll be able to answer that question.   ::)

The screen is a bit bleagh as well, time to get the Duraglit out:

Cleaned up ok, all you can see is reflections now. What looked like bad scratches on the left were actually the remains of a sticky label   :rant:  which fortunately cleaned off pretty easily with the metal polish.

A couple of internal pics now, here we have the top board, with some nice Fluke hybrid resistors, and some high quality clickety-clacks:

And here we have the bottom bo---- OMGWTF NOOOOOOO!!!   :scared:

Whoever came up with the idea to have batteries integrated in NVRAM chips needs a slap. Probably some marketeering twunt   :rant:

Also that second trafo is a bit odd, looks like I need to have a good read of the service manual. I guess maybe it's for the RS232 +/-15V?

Anyway, put it all back together for now, and switched it on. Works fine, though switching between measurement types is a chore; but then it wasn't designed to be a DMM. It gives 3000 count measurements on fast, and 30000 counts on slow, which isn't that slow to be fair. While I was checking its accuracy I noticed a bit of warm up drift on the undercover Siglent. Set the power supply channel 1 at an indicated 3.001V, and the initial reading on the logger was 3.0025V, which over the space of half an hour or so drifted down to this:

How do I know it's the power supply and not the logger? Well as soon as I saw the drift I powered up some of my other meters, and they tracked the drift in unison. I doubt very much that my Keithley 2015, 2000, and Fluke 8840 all drift exactly the same as the logger. Also, a ~1mV drift in a PSU over half an hour in these ridiculous ambient temperatures isn't something that troubles me.

VAC and Ω ranges were similarly accurate, the Hz range seems fine on a brief test with a 1VRMS out of my TTi TG2511, and only started to fall off at around 1.4MHz or so. I don't have a decent thermocouple to test the temperature range; it's enough to know it's too bloody hot, frankly.

It seems to have spent its former life being regularly calibrated, and on one occasion adjusted, by Fluke Norwich, in the service of a company called COVRAD Heat Transfer LTD, who sadly went into administration early this year.

Oh yes, and I did remember to have another go at the Brymen screen while I was polishing.   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95146 on: July 21, 2021, 06:06:06 pm »
Dad joke of the week:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BU508A, cyclin_al, tonyalbus, DH7DN

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #95147 on: July 21, 2021, 06:20:47 pm »
Dad joke of the week:

Okey very Dutch... want my honest opinon? ... f**k Clock, double F*ck alarmclock.  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
never had anything good goming from them..LOL
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #95148 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:11 pm »
Dad joke of the week:

Okey very Dutch... want my honest opinon? ... f**k Clock, double F*ck alarmclock.  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
never had anything good goming from them..LOL

And Fu** cat videos too... just to know where we are here at TEA.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95149 on: July 21, 2021, 06:25:37 pm »
On The Bench This... Well, All Fucking Day Long... :o

Kindof had this one jump on me out of the bloo... well, I suppose I had plenty of warning...  :palm: but my last working pocketable/EveryDayCarry flashlight died on me yesterday, so I decided it was time to get after my little harem as nobody within a week's delivery had anything I actually like at a price I liked. ;)

The 4 on the right are all fixed; mostly niggly little bits like cleaning contacts or servicing a switch, etc.  :P

Of course, my most favoritest Ultrafire C3 (you can tell they're my favorite cuz of how beat up they are) EDCs need a bit more... dead control boards and a nuked LED module. VERY annoyed that I cannot find my packet of mineral glass lenses bought at the same time as all the LED module insulators... >:(

mnem
*tinker-tinker... putter-putter... tssst-owwww! *
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:08:20 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf