Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17715720 times)

tautech and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95100 on: July 21, 2021, 12:41:30 pm »

Looks horrible, far too much going on with that IMO  :wtf:

I can't resist Aneng meters.   It is like watching a horror movie that is so bad it is funny.  I bought an AN-888s for sheer entertainment value.    It turned out to be a half way decent meter.   I've been using it during lock down because it was the only one at home.

Oh dear, gentlemen (and lady) I do believe we have an unbeliever in our ranks. Only one meter at home? There must be more, even if you're forced to count your pocket, everyday carry, meter as "at home".
Only one meter at home  :o, I have approx 20 to 30 of them in my little lab, some in regular use, others are more like collectors pieces, but all are working and are as far as I can tell operating within their design parameters, so I have total confidence in their readings. I mean come on, this is TEA and you can never have to many meters, or indeed anything, especially when so much is available at the right price as long as you're patient. >:D :palm: :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95101 on: July 21, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
My car meter is a Brymen!  :-DD

Got pictures back of the 34401A. It's a nope

Front looks ok:

Back does not!

It's missing the rear case frame, screws and the current fuse socket is mangled.

Running in opposite direction  :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95102 on: July 21, 2021, 12:48:02 pm »
Bit tempted to put the Uni-T 210E in the vehicle but I use it in about equal amounts on the bench for DC current and in the on site bag.

Does this mean I need to buy another to 'solve the problem' :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95103 on: July 21, 2021, 12:50:32 pm »

I can't resist Aneng meters.   It is like watching a horror movie that is so bad it is funny.  I bought an AN-888s for sheer entertainment value.    It turned out to be a half way decent meter.   I've been using it during lock down because it was the only one at home.

Oh dear, gentlemen (and lady) I do believe we have an unbeliever in our ranks. Only one meter at home? There must be more, even if you're forced to count your pocket, everyday carry, meter as "at home".

Well not any more.   I've got three DMMs within arms reach.    I was caught out when campus was closed to all with little advanced notice.   Our home is very small, and I used keep most of my personal gear at work.

There is a Racal-Dana 5100 on eBay calling to me.   Probably a mistake but I think I will get it.      I doubt it works and repair might be impossible.   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:13:27 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95104 on: July 21, 2021, 12:53:29 pm »
Hey bd, where the feck has that 34401 been kept, for a good and costly meter in the first place, it looks like it has dragged behind a truck in a quarry and been exposed to more than its share of moisture and other nasties, I'd run away from it as quick as I could  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95105 on: July 21, 2021, 01:01:33 pm »
Hey bd, where the feck has that 34401 been kept, for a good and costly meter in the first place, it looks like it has dragged behind a truck in a quarry and been exposed to more than its share of moisture and other nasties, I'd run away from it as quick as I could  :palm:

It’s probably clean up. Seen worse. Dusty factory floor tests system for example. The Agilent and HP bumpers are shit magnets too.

The scary bit is no representation of “half its arse is missing”.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95106 on: July 21, 2021, 01:05:16 pm »
Seller offered £25 for the Dana 5100 DMM.   I accepted.   

Does anyone here happen to have the manual or a link to a download? 

It is branded Dana, not Racal / Dana or Racal-Dana      I know they were Racal-Dana by 1979. I used to drive by the building.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313592773545
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:11:28 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95107 on: July 21, 2021, 01:16:48 pm »

It is branded Dana, not Racal / Dana or Racal-Dana      I know they were Racal-Dana by 1979. I used to drive by the building.

5100AF manual down the page here might be worth a look http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Racal
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95108 on: July 21, 2021, 01:18:41 pm »

Well not any more.   I've got three DMMs within arms reach.   

Phew, that's a relief. I though we were going to have to burn you at the stake, or extract all your electrons, or something like that. We haven't had to deal with any heretics, false believers or backsliders yet, that's why I'm uncertain as to what the ritual would be but I know we wouldn't enjoy it - well except for one or two of us.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Andrew_Debbie

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95109 on: July 21, 2021, 01:32:57 pm »
well except for one or two of us.

???

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95110 on: July 21, 2021, 01:54:53 pm »

5100AF manual down the page here might be worth a look http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Racal

That should be helpful.   They are similar, with the 5100 having fewer features.   With any luck they are close enough that I can get away with the 5100AF manual.

It uses a 74188A PROM.    Fingers crossed.   

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:57:40 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95111 on: July 21, 2021, 01:59:58 pm »
Today arrival and tinkering time: ten DIS1417 (replacements for the TI TIL311)   I've found them in the UK bay and thought, I'll give them a try.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281835528940

So I cobbled together a small circuit board to see how the displays were doing.         Well, I like them.  :-+   
HP Amber is better. I do have a whole bunch of TIL311s though.   

Ehhh... it's that "pigeon's blood" red; one of those visceral colors that hooks people.  ;)

I don't like that amber nearly as much; in fact I have a Yamaha 7.2ch HTR on the bench right now with that color in most of the VFD, and even tho it is superior to my current Denon in almost every way except being older, that ichorous amber combined with turn-of-the-millenium smoked silver paint just makes me go "Uggggh...." when I think aboot actually having the thing in my living room.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:03:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95113 on: July 21, 2021, 02:22:13 pm »

Well not any more.   I've got three DMMs within arms reach.   

Phew, that's a relief. I though we were going to have to burn you at the stake, or extract all your electrons, or something like that. We haven't had to deal with any heretics, false believers or backsliders yet, that's why I'm uncertain as to what the ritual would be but I know we wouldn't enjoy it - well except for one or two of us.

Oh dear... I only have three within arm's reach, and one of them is in fact a Aneng AN8008.  :o

Do I hear the sounds of a dwagon-sized BBQ pit being stoked and Conversational Cutlery rattling...? :scared: Does my DE-5000 count...?

mnem
Mercy, mercy, please... I have a babyVNA and tinySA at home that need to fed and clothed!!!

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95114 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:20 pm »
Rigour stands there laughing while Murphy gets his dick stuck in the shredder you built into your product :)   Something random and TE related. What. The. Fuck. Is. This. Shit?

So who can find all the things wrong with this?  :-DD
Joe Smith, I suppose.

"It looks like a rugged smartphone, so it must be a very smart multimeter." <- What the marketing people hope will happen.

If you're in the market for NCV and similar things, like finding out if the motor capacitor is buggered, I think the accuracy is adequate. SecuritySafety? Seeing as the supplied leads in the video aren't security leads, well....

I like the idea though of having large digits and several measurements (VAC + Hz for instance) displayed simultaneously. It's a function on my Fluke 123 I use a lot: It will -- if possible -- perform 2 interpretations of the measured value, like DCV and ACV at the same time, but I guess that a 1994 Fluke does it better than a 2021 Aneng. How elitist of me.  :-DD
;D ;D ;D ;D   https://youtu.be/aA695C6UbKQ

I generally agree with one of your commentors on that video who didn't like it on principle... :-\

While my presbyopic eyes really do love the idea of a meter that is all huge numbers I can read with or without my glasses on, that thing just makes too many concessions against usability for the sake of looking like a iPwn in a OtterBox.  :palm:

mnem
OTOH, it is on sale at Bang-em-good... and I know it would annoy the fuck outta some people... *wibble...*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95115 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:50 pm »
The DE-5000 would only count if it has been hacked to measure voltage.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95116 on: July 21, 2021, 02:33:02 pm »
well except for one or two of us.

???

I can't decide if he means you and Grumpy Smurf or you and me...  :o

mnem
Who am I kidding...? I'm probably beneath his contempt...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95117 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:11 pm »
The DE-5000 would only count if it has been hacked to measure voltage.

It is actually a very good low-resistance DCR meter.

And you can have my AN8008 (with it's deliciously crisp, huge 9999 count display) when you pry it from my cold dead claws. I'm actually thinking aboot grabbing a 2nd one next time I see 'em on sale.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:58:29 pm by mnementh »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #95118 on: July 21, 2021, 02:42:34 pm »
Rigour stands there laughing while Murphy gets his dick stuck in the shredder you built into your product :)   Something random and TE related. What. The. Fuck. Is. This. Shit?

So who can find all the things wrong with this?  :-DD
Joe Smith, I suppose.

"It looks like a rugged smartphone, so it must be a very smart multimeter." <- What the marketing people hope will happen.

If you're in the market for NCV and similar things, like finding out if the motor capacitor is buggered, I think the accuracy is adequate. SecuritySafety? Seeing as the supplied leads in the video aren't security leads, well....

I like the idea though of having large digits and several measurements (VAC + Hz for instance) displayed simultaneously. It's a function on my Fluke 123 I use a lot: It will -- if possible -- perform 2 interpretations of the measured value, like DCV and ACV at the same time, but I guess that a 1994 Fluke does it better than a 2021 Aneng. How elitist of me.  :-DD
;D ;D ;D ;D   https://youtu.be/aA695C6UbKQ

I generally agree with one of your commentors on that video who didn't like it on principle... :-\

While my presbyopic eyes really do love the idea of a meter that is all huge numbers I can read with or without my glasses on, that thing just makes too many concessions against usability for the sake of looking like a iPwn in a OtterBox.  :palm:

mnem
OTOH, it is on sale at Bang-em-good... and I know it would annoy the fuck outta some people... *wibble...*

You get what you pay for... it is cheap i thought is would be totaly crap, bought it for the fun of it, but the red display made up for that  :-DD :-DD
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95119 on: July 21, 2021, 02:57:22 pm »
Today arrival and tinkering time: ten DIS1417 (replacements for the TI TIL311)   I've found them in the UK bay and thought, I'll give them a try.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281835528940

So I cobbled together a small circuit board to see how the displays were doing.         Well, I like them.  :-+   
*sigh*   They are delicious... but getting them to me doubles the cost. I just can't make myself pay ~US$70 for 'em. :'(

mnem
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:59:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #95120 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:42 pm »

Dana Labs started in 1959 in Southern California, founded by some guys who left Beckman.  They took the name from the town they met in - Dana Point.  Interestingly to me, that’s were I stay when I travel out there for work.  Dana apparently sold to Racal in ‘79 and exited the multimeter business by '81

Digital voltmeter history from EE Times:
https://web.pa.msu.edu/people/edmunds/DVM_HP_3440a/digital_volt_meter_history.txt

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Andrew_Debbie, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95121 on: July 21, 2021, 03:06:32 pm »
Progress! Cold solder joint between pins 4 and 5 of the 12AU7 effectively shutting down the filament to one half of the tube. I also found a "ghost voltage" of approx .5V on the DC input at all times. If I short out that ghost voltage I can now set the zero on the meter on all voltage ranges and switching to Ohms results in full scale (and adjustable) deflection of the meter as it should. Yippie.  ;D

Next step is to chase down where that ghost voltage is coming from.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95122 on: July 21, 2021, 03:11:06 pm »
Nice one. Does it change if you wiggle the AC bal pot? I had one which had a leaky wafer. You've got the only good bit of that one now  :-DD

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95123 on: July 21, 2021, 03:12:43 pm »
Every time I listen to the Ham broadcast on Sunday, an AWA "Voltohmyst" is on offer.
I don't really need a Voltohmyst, but it keeps calling to me---------& it's only $50!

The AWA version looks different externally to the RCA one, maybe not just to fit the AWA "house style", but probably to fit in locally made meter movements and other stuff.

Maybe this Sun, it will have gone, & the tempation will go with it.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #95124 on: July 21, 2021, 03:15:44 pm »
After i did that Owon 3in1 i got so many questions abou the Hantek.. i decided to do a trio and asked (no not blond/black/red) all 3 devices :))
so coming soon.
(thanks to my store eleshop.eu)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:17:45 pm by tonyalbus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf