Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16958577 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94850 on: July 18, 2021, 09:03:08 pm »
I can honestly say with my car, that is not the case at all, there is no noticeable difference when the AC is switched on. Maybe you notice in your Honda's perhaps because it is just that AC, whereas in my car it is a fully automated climate control system which by definition works hardest when you first start the engine on a hot day and as the interior cools down the load on the AC decreases until the desired temperature is reached which is user adjustable in 1C steps and can be set up as a single zone or split zone, so the driver and front passenger can each set their own temperatures and the poor folk in the folk have to suffer it  :-DD   
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94851 on: July 18, 2021, 09:47:34 pm »
One for Saskia. Steam rolling BTC mining rigs  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94852 on: July 18, 2021, 09:53:19 pm »
...The best A/C I ever had was a 1993 Chevy Cavalier Z24 V-6 with a variable displacement compressor and R-12. Not only did you never feel it kick on but it got so cold you could hang meat in that car.  :-DD

Same with wifey's Saturn... 20 years old and still blows ice cubes, but ground-up R134 system, not converted or "transition-era" where they were still trying to make R134 work with series-core condensers.  :palm:

Also had a V-6 Citation similar vintage to your Cav; butt-ugly car but would go anywhere, and same exact frosty AC. Flogged that car until tin termites ate its backbone out and left the driver's seat on the ground. :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94853 on: July 18, 2021, 10:04:12 pm »
...The best A/C I ever had was a 1993 Chevy Cavalier Z24 V-6 with a variable displacement compressor and R-12. Not only did you never feel it kick on but it got so cold you could hang meat in that car.  :-DD

Same with wifey's Saturn... 20 years old and still blows ice cubes, but ground-up R134 system, not converted or "transition-era" where they were still trying to make R134 work with series-core condensers.  :palm:

Also had a V-6 Citation similar vintage to your Cav; butt-ugly car but would go anywhere, and same exact frosty AC. Flogged that car until tin termites ate its backbone out and left the driver's seat on the ground. :-DD

mnem

That was ONE thing GM did well. Their A/C systems were world class. Even Rolls used GM compressors.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94854 on: July 18, 2021, 10:06:59 pm »

What has Malaysia got against Bitcoin then? I know diddly squat about this Bitcoin business other than to mine it can cost mega bucks for the equipment in the first place and then of course you have the ongoing cost of the power consumed during the process. So does this mining business involve illegal activity extracting sums of cryptocurrency from another computer user / owner who has not provided enough security  :-//

That would then explain why they were using that road roller to destroy those mining rigs???
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94855 on: July 18, 2021, 10:15:16 pm »
PHE have suggested that Pfizer is 96% effective and AZ is 92% effective against hospitalisation so far against Delta. That's pretty good.

We appear to be the only country which has any decent data on anything at the moment which is also pretty good.

We have very little into on long covid, of course. That may well be more significant than the death rate, over the coming decades.

And we also have no idea what collateral damage the virus does; a single example: viral myocarditis associated with common flu wasn't well known until the Spanish Flu epidemic created concern in the medical community, and the following Asian Influenza pandemic in the late 50s generated enough directly comparable cases for a useful dataset.

This is literally the most anticipated pandemic in the history of humanity. Considering that, we are woefully ignorant of so much of what it could bring to following generations; hell we've spent half a century beating those who knew it was coming and tried to prepare us for it into a pulpy silence. :palm:

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:29:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94856 on: July 18, 2021, 10:23:56 pm »
One for Saskia. Steam rolling BTC mining rigs  :-DD   https://youtu.be/c_tcg9kOfkg
What has Malaysia got against Bitcoin then? I know diddly squat about this Bitcoin business other than to mine it can cost mega bucks for the equipment in the first place and then of course you have the ongoing cost of the power consumed during the process. So does this mining business involve illegal activity extracting sums of cryptocurrency from another computer user / owner who has not provided enough security  :-//

That would then explain why they were using that road roller to destroy those mining rigs???

It's the same problem as the Chinese have and should be in the US; the exponential growth of a parasitic drain on the world's electrical grid. Conservative estimates say cryptomining will be consuming 10% of the world's electricity in the next year or three.

That said... am I the only one here who sees that video as a very obvious fake...? Seriously...?

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #94857 on: July 18, 2021, 10:31:29 pm »

It's the same problem as the Chinese have and should be in the US; the exponential growth of a parasitic drain on the world's electrical grid. Conservative estimates say cryptomining will be consuming 10% of the world's electricity in the next year or three.

That said... am I the only one here who sees that video as a very obvious fake...? Seriously...?

mnem

Does that mean we're going to restrict endless server farms for high frequency trading or perhaps the gold mining industry too? I'm not sure what's "obviously" fake about the video. The Philippines are known to destroy equipment they deem illegal and what look like typical ASICs are run over in the video. It could be a very high detail CGI render by Egyptian aliens but I couldn't tell.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:39:14 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #94858 on: July 18, 2021, 10:50:58 pm »

Those units are still fine and will be offered by Israeli eBayers  :-DD

Just like those puppies... https://www.ebay.com/itm/323212622886?hash=item4b40f93c26:g:-VQAAOSwL6la1eN6
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94860 on: July 18, 2021, 11:46:26 pm »
PHE have suggested that Pfizer is 96% effective and AZ is 92% effective against hospitalisation so far against Delta. That's pretty good.

We appear to be the only country which has any decent data on anything at the moment which is also pretty good.

We have very little into on long covid, of course. That may well be more significant than the death rate, over the coming decades.

Yes that is my main concern. I've lost one team member to it already.

Tomorrow, in the UK, is being called "Freedom Day", where legal restrictions on what we can w.r.t. covid are being removed. We will be living in a petri dish, watched by the entire world.

Most sheeple think "freedom" refers to their freedom. A more useful realisation is that the government has given themselves the freedom to absolve themselves of the consequences, and shift the blame onto the "feckless people".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94861 on: July 19, 2021, 12:25:37 am »
Heads up for UK buyers looking for 150MHz 4 channel scope, this one just appeared in my search box on Shpock, its in Redditch though, £150 or offer

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YPFCBgUNjGp9c4Xa/tektronix-2445a-4-channel-150mhz-oscilloscope

That’s a pretty good deal actually  :-+

Would be tempted if my air con wasn’t bust  :-DD
I thought it was a good deal, almost went for it myself as its a 4 channel unit. Maybe your Air Con just needs a recharge? If so its around the £40 mark and is so much better than driving with the windows open, which cause drag, buffeting, popped ear drums and of course a far bigger hike in fuel bills than powering the AC costs.

Back in the day, we had no option but to use the "4/80" system.
4 windows open & 80mph! ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94862 on: July 19, 2021, 12:25:59 am »

Yes that is my main concern. I've lost one team member to it already.

Tomorrow, in the UK, is being called "Freedom Day", where legal restrictions on what we can w.r.t. covid are being removed. We will be living in a petri dish, watched by the entire world.

Most sheeple think "freedom" refers to their freedom. A more useful realisation is that the government has given themselves the freedom to absolve themselves of the consequences, and shift the blame onto the "feckless people".
Exactly this all day long. The next on the list is the NHS, when they get over whelmed, he'll say that they are not fit for purpose and sell it off.
Who let Murphy in?

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94863 on: July 19, 2021, 12:36:45 am »
... on a mid winters trip in the dessert >:(

My sympathy, but I'm attempting to lose weight and that would make me excessively fat. ;)

I was going to ask if "the bean" was going to swim in the fruit salad, wade through the custard, & ski down the slopes of the ice cream. ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94864 on: July 19, 2021, 01:03:07 am »
The array of Devices! that is needed to maintain and diagnose optical and copper lines today is impressive.

That is not the way it is here in the GWN.

If the copper is not fully broken, then we are left to suffer.
When the copper permanently fails, then they eventually get around to replacing it.  More suffering in the meantime.

Sounds like Telstra in Oz!

As I recounted before, they took seven years to get around to a simple pull through of a phone lead in.
If the changeover to FTTC hadn't been looming, provoking me to nudge them a bit harder, I'm sure they would have gone for a new record! :palm:

The bloke next door was running a business from home, & had the same intermittent problem.
Telstra brought a length of phone cable out of the pit near our place, over our roof, & down to his Mum's house.  |O

This is the sort of thing we would have just,maybe, done inside one of our own sites when I worked for their predecessor, & then, only for a week or so, max.

This was in place for nearly two years!
During that time there was an outage, due to the gardener thinking the gracefully draped cable was part of a tree! ;D

If you have broken optical, then you are considered upper-class.  (you, not me...)
The repair trucks are equipped with sets of standard length replacement optical cables.
They choose a cable longer than needed and loop the excess, but replacement is done surprisingly quickly.
Other optical equipment is plug-n-play replacement.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94865 on: July 19, 2021, 01:31:29 am »

My sympathy, but I'm attempting to lose weight and that would make me excessively fat. ;)

I was going to ask if "the bean" was going to swim in the fruit salad, wade through the custard, & ski down the slopes of the ice cream. ;D

Don't give him ideas. Next thing you know he'll do all that, butt nekkid, and we'll have another photo we're all trying to forget.  :)

The two words I fear most at the moment are "Challenge accepted".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94866 on: July 19, 2021, 02:00:47 am »
Neither have I. Protecting Gorilla-glass with more Gorilla-glass always seemed like a pretty futile exercise to me.

McBryce.
Actually if stuck together with a non rigid adhesive it adds a lot of extra strength. That is why windshields and bulletproof glass are laminated.

Kind of. Car windscreens are mainly laminated to keep the glass together after it has shattered instead of having a wall of shards flying towards you if something breaks the windscreen.

McBryce.
It's both. They're stronger and large shards are kept captive. If it were just the shard protection, they'd be made of tempered glass that shatters into tiny grit like the side windows.

In many modern cars, the windshield(s) is/are actually part of the stiffness of the monocoque; it provides part of the roof crush support that used to be entirely provided by traditional A/B/C pillar design.

There was a lawsuit a decade or so back in which a replacement windshield popped out of a vehicle during an accident due to improper installation, and the roof of the vehicle collapsed breaking the driver's neck, when according to the manufacturer, it should have maintained integrity. Lots of investigation, enginerding, etc... but ultimately it was found that the windshield was cemented in place improperly, making the glass company liable.

mnem

Front windscreens are made of tempered glass and shatter in cubes just like the side glass, and although they do offer some physical strength / stiffness to the vehicle during a rollover, this factor is ignored in the mathematics because the pillars need to be able to support the weight of the vehicle even when all windows have failed. So it's a bonus, but not essential.

McBryce.

Umm, no. I've smashed enough windshields on my own and served on enough MVAs to know the first is categorically wrong. There are a million little splinters when a windshield is smashed. The side windows smash as you say, but not the windshield.

And the lawsuit in question says you're wrong on the latter as well. :-//

Not to be a dick, but just plain no.

mnem

Back in the day, toughened glass was common in windscreens.

When you were 1000 plus miles from home on a gravel road, the local taxi from a bush town just zoomed past spraying up high velocity rocks, & one hits your windscreen, the old toughened glass ones shattered into a zillion bits & became totally opaque.

You then had the options of punching  the remains out, continuing to the bush town, then waiting till a new windscreen arrives, or just punching it out & driving al fresco the rest of the way home!
We did the latter, collecting plenty of insect varieties in our teeth on the way home, as well as red dirt.
When we got further south, it got pretty cold, too!

With a laminated screen, you might get away with just a chip in the outer layer, & at worst have several large cracks, but you will still be able to see through it, & avoid sharing the interior of your vehicle with various forms of flying wildlife.

An "on air personality" at one of the radio stations in Perth came up with an (obviously now dated), "Dad joke", which always remended me of this adventure.

Q: "How do you tell a happy motorcyclist?"
A: "By the grasshoppers in his teeth!"

The car magazines touted the other safety aspects of laminated screens, in that if your head hits a toughened screen in an accident, your skull does all the work of smashing the glass.
As you don't have a "toughened skull", you will come off worse in this encounter.

In the case of a laminated screen, it will crack more easily,but not shatter, your skull doesn't do as much work, & does not suffer as much damage.
Even in the worst case, the part of the screen you hit will bulge out, still reducing the damage

Anyhow, that is what they said!

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94867 on: July 19, 2021, 02:19:10 am »
Heads up for UK buyers looking for 150MHz 4 channel scope, this one just appeared in my search box on Shpock, its in Redditch though, £150 or offer

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YPFCBgUNjGp9c4Xa/tektronix-2445a-4-channel-150mhz-oscilloscope

That’s a pretty good deal actually  :-+

Would be tempted if my air con wasn’t bust  :-DD
I thought it was a good deal, almost went for it myself as its a 4 channel unit. Maybe your Air Con just needs a recharge? If so its around the £40 mark and is so much better than driving with the windows open, which cause drag, buffeting, popped ear drums and of course a far bigger hike in fuel bills than powering the AC costs.

Unfortunately it requires HFO-1234yf which is considerably more expensive. I don't drive it enough to bother fixing it properly.
Fix it or else you really do run the risk of having the compressor locking up and that will seriously ruin your day and hurt your wallet big time.

In modern designs, the A/C is also integral to drying the air for the functioning of the defrost or defog.
Those functions go a bit further than just economy or comfort... at least in the great white north.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #94868 on: July 19, 2021, 02:32:05 am »

Don't give him ideas. Next thing you know he'll do all that, butt nekkid, and we'll have another photo we're all trying to forget.  :)

What happens in the Dessert stays in the Desert. Naked Hot tubbing up the Birdsville Track might have been a thing on prior trips >:D

Not my photo but a toasty 50C straight out of the ground. 100km from the nearest town on a dirt road, Toilets, Showers and the Tub installed by the local Station owner for a donation of your choice.  :-+

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94869 on: July 19, 2021, 02:37:58 am »
Yep. It definitely doesn't turn. When you press the AC button you can feel it kick in. When you have an 0.99 litre engine this really fucks you if you're going up a hill  :-DD

French cars are fairly not weird these days. Historically accurate though!
Whereas, on my 2 litre engine it makes no noticeable difference if the AC is switch on or off, but you can feel the difference when it is switched on and arrive at your destination cool and comfortable, nothing at all like I used to before cars had AC, then I was a big sweating jelly and shirts etc simply clung to you like a second skin. :phew:

EDIT:
Its marvellous how we get around to all sorts of topics on this thread, and yes there are a few nah sayers who complain about it from time to time, we can all learn something almost daily from these discussions, that broadens our horizons and knowledge, all done in the best possible taste.  :-DD

We each have our different experiences gained from our own personal scenarios.
This sharing contributes to the collective knowledge of the community providing fodder for everyone to dig the trenches deeper for defending their viewpoint  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SWMBO will certainly confirm that the difference is noticeable with the A/C switched on in a car with a 2.0 litre engine.
It just so happens that this car has a manual transmission.
The car engine & transmission get warmed up enough to reach normal operating temperatures, then it automatically switches to maximum A/C in our hot & humid conditions.
Of course this coincides with the end of the local road with a stop sign before merging onto the highway.
I start off normally, but fail to compensate for the sudden extra load of the A/C.  That results in a start with RPMs too low and it is not smooth.
Also concerning, is the lack of acceleration to join the highway.  Luckily, our COVID routine has us driving when the traffic is light.
Now that it has happened a couple of times with SWMBO as passenger; I have compensated and things go smoothly now but without a passenger so I cannot demonstrate that I can in fact drive just fine.  :horse:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94870 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:31 am »

SWMBO will certainly confirm that the difference is noticeable with the A/C switched on in a car with a 2.0 litre engine.
It just so happens that this car has a manual transmission.
The car engine & transmission get warmed up enough to reach normal operating temperatures, then it automatically switches to maximum A/C in our hot & humid conditions.
Of course this coincides with the end of the local road with a stop sign before merging onto the highway.
I start off normally, but fail to compensate for the sudden extra load of the A/C.  That results in a start with RPMs too low and it is not smooth.
Also concerning, is the lack of acceleration to join the highway.  Luckily, our COVID routine has us driving when the traffic is light.
Now that it has happened a couple of times with SWMBO as passenger; I have compensated and things go smoothly now but without a passenger so I cannot demonstrate that I can in fact drive just fine.  :horse:

My Civic with a 1.7 liter engine and manual transmission is certainly like that. It feels like you are dragging an anchor. The CR-V with a 2.4 liter engine and automatic is much less but still noticeable.   

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94871 on: July 19, 2021, 03:04:09 am »

What happens in the Dessert stays in the Desert. Naked Hot tubbing up the Birdsville Track might have been a thing on prior trips >:D

Not my photo but a toasty 50C straight out of the ground. 100km from the nearest town on a dirt road, Toilets, Showers and the Tub installed by the local Station owner for a donation of your choice.  :-+

I gotta hand to you Aussies. You are a tough bunch. 50C? No freakin way. I would melt.  :scared:

That looks like a modified cattle tank. I'll bet all kinds of critters come and drink and foul the water when no people are around.  :o

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #94872 on: July 19, 2021, 03:19:09 am »

I gotta hand to you Aussies. You are a tough bunch. 50C? No freakin way. I would melt.  :scared:

That looks like a modified cattle tank. I'll bet all kinds of critters come and drink and foul the water when no people are around.  :o
When it's already 45C outside a weeny bit warmer shouldn't be any issue.  :-//

Bugs and germs....no worries as that's what brings up us country types tough.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #94873 on: July 19, 2021, 03:49:04 am »

Large Valve on the right is for dropping the water out after use. When you get a bit more North of there the water has a slight Kero/petroleum note to it along with a massively high Iron content so not a lot likes to grow in it straight from the bore. The 50C is a case of a drop the bits in slowly until numb :-DD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:52:00 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94874 on: July 19, 2021, 04:12:02 am »
Back in the day, toughened glass was common in windscreens.

When you were 1000 plus miles from home on a gravel road, the local taxi from a bush town just zoomed past spraying up high velocity rocks, & one hits your windscreen, the old toughened glass ones shattered into a zillion bits & became totally opaque.

You then had the options of punching  the remains out, continuing to the bush town, then waiting till a new windscreen arrives, or just punching it out & driving al fresco the rest of the way home!
We did the latter, collecting plenty of insect varieties in our teeth on the way home, as well as red dirt.
When we got further south, it got pretty cold, too!

With a laminated screen, you might get away with just a chip in the outer layer, & at worst have several large cracks, but you will still be able to see through it, & avoid sharing the interior of your vehicle with various forms of flying wildlife.

An "on air personality" at one of the radio stations in Perth came up with an (obviously now dated), "Dad joke", which always remended me of this adventure.

Q: "How do you tell a happy motorcyclist?"
A: "By the grasshoppers in his teeth!"

The car magazines touted the other safety aspects of laminated screens, in that if your head hits a toughened screen in an accident, your skull does all the work of smashing the glass.
As you don't have a "toughened skull", you will come off worse in this encounter.

In the case of a laminated screen, it will crack more easily,but not shatter, your skull doesn't do as much work, & does not suffer as much damage.
Even in the worst case, the part of the screen you hit will bulge out, still reducing the damage

Anyhow, that is what they said!
Well, statistically, it is the far more important role of the windshield to keep the meatbags inside the confines of the vehicle than to give pliantly when struck by their numb widdle skulls. You know, being as they were already dipshit enough to be riding without buckling up and minimizing the likelihood of skull-to-windshield interaction.

As for laminated windshields... They have been the standard, or at least commonplace longer than I've been alive here in the Americas. Like late 50s early 60s.   :-// Grand-dad's 50s Ford pickup had one with a bullseye that had been there so long the plastic layer shrunk away between the layers for like 20mm all around the actual injury, and all my Chrysler B-body cars had them.

mnem
hooray for diverse discussion!!! :clap:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 02:27:40 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf