Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16972490 times)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94725 on: July 17, 2021, 12:11:54 pm »
Good scenery. Walking Eastbourne to Seaford via beachy head. May be late for discord later  :-DD

Make sure you take plenty of water and sunblock, it's gonna be a warm one
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94726 on: July 17, 2021, 12:13:55 pm »
So it's possible to walk along the coast all the way? Did you cross the river at the mouth? Looks doable from the photos. And desirable, given that the first bridge is pretty far inland.

I doubt he did, the Cuckmere is navigable, al least it's navigable in a Kayak or dinghy - I'm not sure that like to try anything much bigger.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94727 on: July 17, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »
In light of the amount of SMD mucking about I've done recently I've bought myself an Optivisor:

So now I can complete the "weirdo geek" look with appropriate eyewear:

Also makes a passable closeup lens for the phone, for non critical use:

I've only had it an hour or so, so it hasn't seen use in battle yet but it feels like it'll be a reasonably comfortable alternative to going full 3D microscope.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94728 on: July 17, 2021, 12:33:16 pm »

Hmm.
Is that John Cleese under the hood?  ???

:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94729 on: July 17, 2021, 12:50:57 pm »

Hmm.

No, it's the fella with this fine pair of legs:

You did realise that you were just asking for that, didn't you?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94730 on: July 17, 2021, 01:06:29 pm »
Can't decide which is worse. The 90 year stripper or that above. :palm: :scared:

Where's the eye bleach?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94731 on: July 17, 2021, 01:10:47 pm »
Flashbacks to the Rocky Horror Picture Show....

I attended the original Sydney stage production in 1974 as part of a University subject.  That was a truly WTF experience for a quiet, geeky teenager.

Edit: Correction to title as pointed out by others.  (In my defence it was a long time ago - and a somewhat bizarre experience at the time)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:22:52 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94732 on: July 17, 2021, 01:20:10 pm »
I'll beat tggzzz to the gaining of Pedant PointsTM, that's "The Rocky Horror Show", "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is the cinematic version.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94733 on: July 17, 2021, 01:26:58 pm »

Hmm.

No, it's the fella with this fine pair of legs:

You did realise that you were just asking for that, didn't you?

Errr...
Guilty as charged. But hope never dies.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94734 on: July 17, 2021, 02:21:39 pm »
Finally fixed an annoying issue with my kitchen stereo. It's built with a Logitech Squeezebox playing into a balancing line driver, that gets splitted to a local override while also driving a matrix selector via a patchbay. Then, it goes back through the patch bay and the override to another part of the balancer card, after which it goes to a volume pot and then the power amp.

One channel sometimes was lower in level, and it could be "fixed" by going into local override (which cuts the matrix out and plays Squeezebox directly to amp). The functions on the module chart below are spread over 3 rooms so debugging involves a lot of walking around while keeping context in head. Challenge for a scatterbrain like me. Anyway, through use of patchbay and matrix isolated the fault to be between patchbay and matrix input.  There are pluggable screw terminals on the matrix, and they're not the highest quality. A simple loosen-tighten operation on the affected input was enough.

Test Equipment used: Squeezebox playing Alan Parsons Project, and a pair of bantam patch leads to route signals alternative paths in patchbay.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 02:23:42 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94735 on: July 17, 2021, 02:31:43 pm »
I have a Fireberd in the garage and a HP 37721A but have never used them in anger. The Fireberd was a "take this too" add on to another purchase. I got the HP 37721A to use the cover on my 8920B......
I've one of the blue portable Tek things with a VFD but can't remember the exct model. I've actually used that to sort out a radio modem link a few years go. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:00:22 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94736 on: July 17, 2021, 02:50:19 pm »
I'll beat tggzzz to the gaining of Pedant PointsTM, that's "The Rocky Horror Show", "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is the cinematic version.  :)

Do you like spoiling the little pleasure left in my life, or what?

Tim Curry stomping up the aisle was definitely an eye opener :)

In other "news", I prefer the cheap and widely available Rolson loupes since they have a range of magnifications

https://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/2-led-magnifying-visor
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94737 on: July 17, 2021, 03:04:18 pm »
I have 3 of the optivisor types with different magnifications (colour coded). One advantage is the glass lenses resist solder splashes without damage.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94738 on: July 17, 2021, 03:14:33 pm »

Well, do you want to deny me the little pleasures of a curmudgeon?  :)

In other "news", I prefer the cheap and widely available Rolson loupes since they have a range of magnifications

I've tried several of the "cheap and cheerful" varieties out there, not specifically the Rolson ones but I have tried some very similar - to the point that I recognise the little plastic box of lenses from that link from my own collection. I've found that either they get the interpupilary distance bit wrong and are consequently fatiguing because of fighting to focus all the time, or the means of affixing to the head is either unstable or uncomfortable. I've heard good things about the optivisors so I thought I'd give them a go. I got a good price for a pukka Optivisor® (£45) but that's still a long way north of the £10 or so than the "cheap and cheerful" flavours. For the record, you can swap around the optical inserts on the Optivisor® but, again, they're relatively expensive optional extras.

The (glass) lenses in the Optivisor® are an order of magnitude better than the plastic lenses I've had in the lesser varieties. In theory one ought to be able to make cheap high quality plastic lenses - I constantly view the world through prescription CR39 lenses that cost next to nothing (I use £6 spectacles from selectspecs.com) - but the technique seems to have escaped the many vendors of cheap magnifers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:16:07 pm by Cerebus »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94739 on: July 17, 2021, 03:19:04 pm »
It’s 6:45 here and I’m eating a sausage and egg McMuffin  8). It’s a nice balance of lard, carbs and satisfaction  :-DD

Nothing wrong with eating it but not every day. Also am blowing off some serious cals today walking so need a kick up the arse first.

The traditional way to do that is pasta on the evening before, and steak and eggs in the morning. I was at work yesterday (fixing a dead RAID controller and a PSU in a Dell. We do not let service people into the facilities during Corona so I had to convince the guy in Ireland that I can do that without a drone person. Of course it went well.) so had lunch at a restaurant. Then, at home we made pizza. Am still full, and have only had a cup of coffee.

TE content: I bought a 15W dummy load (9 money) and 6 Suhner N chassis jacks (13 money), and while I was writing this the Wife pushed me to buy a NIB testo IR thermometer which we will co-own. Just paid for it and right after she reimbursed me 50%. We've been together more than 15 years and still have our economies separate yet intermingled -- we pay for a share of the expenses and then can play with the rest of the money. It works out nicely.

Yeah had spaghetti bolognaise last night. Steak and eggs would be good. Might do that on Trangia next time  :-DD

Good scenery. Walking Eastbourne to Seaford via beachy head. May be late for discord later  :-DD
Good photo, that is just about the spot where I took that photo of the Vulcan from, the lighthouse just below me and to the right but a tad closer. I bet it was nice up there today with the sea breeze coming in.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94740 on: July 17, 2021, 03:29:11 pm »

I've tried several of the "cheap and cheerful" varieties out there, not specifically the Rolson ones but I have tried some very similar - to the point that I recognise the little plastic box of lenses from that link from my own collection. I've found that either they get the interpupilary distance bit wrong and are consequently fatiguing because of fighting to focus all the time, or the means of affixing to the head is either unstable or uncomfortable. I've heard good things about the optivisors so I thought I'd give them a go. I got a good price for a pukka Optivisor® (£45) but that's still a long way north of the £10 or so than the "cheap and cheerful" flavours. For the record, you can swap around the optical inserts on the Optivisor® but, again, they're relatively expensive optional extras.

The (glass) lenses in the Optivisor® are an order of magnitude better than the plastic lenses I've had in the lesser varieties. In theory one ought to be able to make cheap high quality plastic lenses - I constantly view the world through prescription CR39 lenses that cost next to nothing (I use £6 spectacles from selectspecs.com) - but the technique seems to have escaped the many vendors of cheap magnifers.

+1 for Optivisors -  it is what I use for everything.  They are expensive compared to the plastic lens models, but cheap compared to microscopes, cameras, etc.  and the fact that you can move your head around and get the angle "just right" is something the bigger equipment just doesn't do.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94741 on: July 17, 2021, 03:47:18 pm »
I have 3 of the optivisor types with different magnifications (colour coded). One advantage is the glass lenses resist solder splashes without damage.

I haven't had that problem -- yet.

I regard the Rolson things as cheap enough to be disposable; I'm on my second set in 5(?) years.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94742 on: July 17, 2021, 03:51:30 pm »

These things are very personal. For example, despite having a small inter-pupillary distance, the Rolson things are fine for me.

As you've tried Rolson and found them wanting, I would be interested to hear your compare-and-contrast once you've had a chance to use both.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94743 on: July 17, 2021, 03:53:36 pm »
+1 for Optivisors -  it is what I use for everything.  They are expensive compared to the plastic lens models, but cheap compared to microscopes, cameras, etc.  and the fact that you can move your head around and get the angle "just right" is something the bigger equipment just doesn't do.

... includng peering into the innards of equipment under your desk :)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94744 on: July 17, 2021, 04:44:48 pm »
It’s 6:45 here and I’m eating a sausage and egg McMuffin  8). It’s a nice balance of lard, carbs and satisfaction  :-DD

Nothing wrong with eating it but not every day. Also am blowing off some serious cals today walking so need a kick up the arse first.

The traditional way to do that is pasta on the evening before, and steak and eggs in the morning. I was at work yesterday (fixing a dead RAID controller and a PSU in a Dell. We do not let service people into the facilities during Corona so I had to convince the guy in Ireland that I can do that without a drone person. Of course it went well.) so had lunch at a restaurant. Then, at home we made pizza. Am still full, and have only had a cup of coffee.

TE content: I bought a 15W dummy load (9 money) and 6 Suhner N chassis jacks (13 money), and while I was writing this the Wife pushed me to buy a NIB testo IR thermometer which we will co-own. Just paid for it and right after she reimbursed me 50%. We've been together more than 15 years and still have our economies separate yet intermingled -- we pay for a share of the expenses and then can play with the rest of the money. It works out nicely.

Yeah had spaghetti bolognaise last night. Steak and eggs would be good. Might do that on Trangia next time  :-DD

Good photo, that is just about the spot where I took that photo of the Vulcan from, the lighthouse just below me and to the right but a tad closer. I bet it was nice up there today with the sea breeze coming in.

Yeah was pretty good. Didn’t top 22 until I got back to Lewes. Home now already.

My phone tells me 113 flights of stairs climbed, 32764 steps, 25.1km and 1857 calories burned. Still can’t feel my arse or feet  :-DD

Had to walk up the river at Cuckmere Haven to the bridge. The water looked walkable at a distance but I didn’t fancy making an additional 1km detour if my eyes were deceiving me so just went up and round. This was actually on the route I planned anyway so no big deal.

As for sun protection, sunglasses, full UV protective clothing, SPF 50 sun cream, 3L of water and regulation stupid looking hat were used to prevent being singed. Think I got away with it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94745 on: July 17, 2021, 05:26:03 pm »

Mmmmmmm... Tastes kind of...  purple... :o 

mnem
...mixed with burnt pennies...
... and that, lovely children, is the story of how the dragon got it's magic powers.
But for now, it's time to sleep.

Yes, this is the true answer to the question of What happens when you mix the red pill and the blue pill...  :-D

mnem
*currently in a state of yo; that magical place between yes and no, where anything is possible...*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:33:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94746 on: July 17, 2021, 05:43:04 pm »

Last time I did that particular walk I wasn't even 20. I was at the (redhead) girlfriend's place in Bexhill, missed the last connecting train to Brighton because 1 last snog too many and had to walk back to Brighton along the coast overnight.

Totes worth it then... >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94747 on: July 17, 2021, 07:43:42 pm »
In light of the amount of SMD mucking about I've done recently I've bought myself an Optivisor: ...So now I can complete the "weirdo geek" look with appropriate eyewear:

mnem

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94748 on: July 17, 2021, 08:18:21 pm »
We have these ones at work:

The magnification/focus distance is adjustable. "Eschenbach maxDETAIL"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 08:20:27 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94749 on: July 17, 2021, 08:32:26 pm »
We have these ones at work:

The magnification/focus distance is adjustable. "Eschenbach maxDETAIL"

Those have the advantage of being adjustable from -3D to +3D, and the disadvantage of not being usable with your ordinary glasses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf