Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16976837 times)

Mike De, Vince and 84 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94475 on: July 14, 2021, 12:33:09 pm »
Here we go. This one was a bit of a bargain. £63.20 delivered. BIN from an excellent seller. Spot on, fast delivery and well packaged and much cheaper than it should have been  :-DD

......snip

Good deal. A Series 1 just like mine.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #94476 on: July 14, 2021, 12:35:44 pm »
I am avoiding this one as I don't 'need it'  :-DD Save me Aussies  >:D eBay auction: #265228594773

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94477 on: July 14, 2021, 12:41:46 pm »
If I should ever stumble over a mint 87V for 50 Euro, then I'd consider buying it.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94478 on: July 14, 2021, 12:56:00 pm »
klaxon ... hmmm.

I have a pneumatic horn sitting here, rating is 135 db@1m ....

Do you also have the recommended accessoires?

Whoa! Capt. Bullshot hat die groesste(n) Hupe(n)!

ich hoffe doch sehr, daß ich hier die größten Hupen hab. Sonst läuft hier was falsch ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94479 on: July 14, 2021, 01:01:56 pm »
I am avoiding this one as I don't 'need it'  :-DD Save me Aussies  >:D eBay auction: #265228594773

It must be Fluke 87 Series 1 day. Did anyone get a memo? I didn't.  ;D

Doctor's appointments today. Whoopie.  :o

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94480 on: July 14, 2021, 01:08:43 pm »

Fingers crossed, have fun.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94481 on: July 14, 2021, 01:12:13 pm »
@med good luck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94482 on: July 14, 2021, 01:43:40 pm »
Here we go. This one was a bit of a bargain. £63.20 delivered. BIN from an excellent seller. Spot on, fast delivery and well packaged and much cheaper than it should have been  :-DD

As arrived with manual and probes.

<snip>

And into the herd it goes

I'll clean up the case later as that will require some scrubbing. It probably won't live in the case to be honest. Probe inspection will happen later too.

Anyway that's the first acquisition post from me for a long time. Finally back on the treadmill  :-DD
Looks really grand does that. When you say it probably won't live in the case, I take that you're referring to the yellow bumper?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94483 on: July 14, 2021, 02:04:26 pm »
Noticing a lot of sellers on eBay are getting very shoddy with their listings. Many of them state that the devices are untested, but in the description they state

Item specifics
Condition:    
Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

So which is it, untested or working as intended  :palm: :rant: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94484 on: July 14, 2021, 02:25:28 pm »
They’ve got to the point they only talk to me when they’re hungry. Actually that’s not true. I’m trying to negotiate a truce between two of them at the moment and get them out the door for school  :palm:

Delightful, isn't it!

I found it invaluable to be able to distract mine by getting her to do something "dangerous" and interesting. Obviously I chose gliding[1], but something on or under the river might be easier for you.

You'll miss them when they are gone (I'm just going off to help mine before a hygiene inspection next week)

[1] yesterday's news: K13s not allowed to do spinning any more :( So no more pre-solo training where you deliberately enter a spin at 1000ft, rotate once every 3 seconds, descend at 100ft/s, and have to dive at the ground to avoid hitting it.

As someone who floats like a brick I shall avoid the river. Also somewhat risk averse after a few near misses  :-DD

As far as danger goes, we're all going to fly some model rockets shortly. There is a universal interest in things that go woosh and may go horribly wrong  >:D

Currently eyeing this up. Currently placed well above the value as a BIN and the seller isn't fond of low offers but I'm hoping it goes down significantly when relisted...

Appears to be a duff 7474 display driver looking at the schematics, a common problem on devices of that era. However contains unobtanium ADC and  the front end is a hybrid  :scared:. But the bandwidth on it is pretty amazingly high. Possibly an opportunity to get creative.

Bough 2, one display driver failed, one hybrid failed. End up to 1 usable unit.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94485 on: July 14, 2021, 02:32:37 pm »
Looks really grand does that. When you say it probably won't live in the case, I take that you're referring to the yellow bumper?

That was what I was thinking. Mostly so I didn't have to clean the case  :-DD. I gave in eventually and sorted it. All done:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #94486 on: July 14, 2021, 02:54:59 pm »
klaxon ... hmmm.

I have a pneumatic horn sitting here, rating is 135 db@1m ....

Do you also have the recommended accessoires?

Whoa! Capt. Bullshot hat die groesste(n) Hupe(n)!

ich hoffe doch sehr, daß ich hier die größten Hupen hab. Sonst läuft hier was falsch ...

Not sure. Maybe the dragon ?  >:D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94487 on: July 14, 2021, 03:05:05 pm »
Noticing a lot of sellers on eBay are getting very shoddy with their listings. Many of them state that the devices are untested, but in the description they state

Item specifics
Condition:    
Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

So which is it, untested or working as intended  :palm: :rant: :rant:

I typically put spares or repairs and show it working, with comment "can't test to manufacturer's full spec".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94488 on: July 14, 2021, 03:11:17 pm »
Well the RS Pro PSUs arrived, with the UPS driver having a brain fart and having to come back a few hours later with the second one, I suppose it was buried under other parcels in his van.

The undercover Siglent is clearly used, though in good condition overall. Annoyingly it seems RS have asked Siglent to alter the firmware enough that you can't use Siglent update/upgrades. Other than that it works well with decent accuracy on the meters etc.

The Iso-Tech/Gw Instek clone or whatever it is, is new by the looks of it, with some minor pin-dents in the sides of the case. The display protector is still on. This is the one that the UPS driver had to come back for, so I've not had time to get to know it much, but I will say the controls are not intuitive and somewhat finicky, and the current accuracy is bad, with a 10mA offset meaning it's under-reading by that amount more or less the whole range. That may or may not be fixable, I'll have to RTFM first.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94489 on: July 14, 2021, 03:13:35 pm »
They’ve got to the point they only talk to me when they’re hungry. Actually that’s not true. I’m trying to negotiate a truce between two of them at the moment and get them out the door for school  :palm:

Delightful, isn't it!

I found it invaluable to be able to distract mine by getting her to do something "dangerous" and interesting. Obviously I chose gliding[1], but something on or under the river might be easier for you.

You'll miss them when they are gone (I'm just going off to help mine before a hygiene inspection next week)

[1] yesterday's news: K13s not allowed to do spinning any more :( So no more pre-solo training where you deliberately enter a spin at 1000ft, rotate once every 3 seconds, descend at 100ft/s, and have to dive at the ground to avoid hitting it.

As someone who floats like a brick I shall avoid the river. Also somewhat risk averse after a few near misses  :-DD

As far as danger goes, we're all going to fly some model rockets shortly. There is a universal interest in things that go woosh and may go horribly wrong  >:D

Currently eyeing this up. Currently placed well above the value as a BIN and the seller isn't fond of low offers but I'm hoping it goes down significantly when relisted...

Appears to be a duff 7474 display driver looking at the schematics, a common problem on devices of that era. However contains unobtanium ADC and  the front end is a hybrid  :scared:. But the bandwidth on it is pretty amazingly high. Possibly an opportunity to get creative.

Bough 2, one display driver failed, one hybrid failed. End up to 1 usable unit.  :-DD

I may be expelled from TEA for saying this, but the RMS math function on a decent quality DSO makes instruments like these redundant. Maybe not quite as accurate, but even -hp- were never able to produce a 1GHz RMS meter

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94490 on: July 14, 2021, 03:16:24 pm »
Oh completely. But they’re not as much fun  :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #94491 on: July 14, 2021, 03:19:28 pm »
What about thermal power sensors ? Keysight has some starting at DC.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94492 on: July 14, 2021, 03:29:10 pm »
They found another WWII 250kg bomb some 100 meters away.  Inside a 300m radius they will evacuate 5.500 people today evening before rotating the magic screws.  :-)

I'm happy it's not the building site of our immediate neighbour.
Luckily we're in the warning radius of 500m only. "Stay inside, shut your Windows, keep away from glass, ...".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94493 on: July 14, 2021, 03:30:52 pm »

Don't let 'em stick anything in any holes they ain't used already.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94494 on: July 14, 2021, 03:48:15 pm »
It must be Fluke 87 Series 1 day. Did anyone get a memo? I didn't.  ;D

Yep, looking forward to tomorrow, when I can show off my Fluke 88 Series 1 :)

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94495 on: July 14, 2021, 04:26:55 pm »

I may be expelled from TEA for saying this, but the RMS math function on a decent quality DSO makes instruments like these redundant. Maybe not quite as accurate, but even -hp- were never able to produce a 1GHz RMS meter

The 410b is specced to 700MHz (Mega-Cycles at the time..) so yes. This is a limitation it shares with the Marconi high-end VTVM, the TF1041B. 1GHz is hard for everyone.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94496 on: July 14, 2021, 04:46:47 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #199: Bicycle Wheel Spoke Protector Disc   

https://a360.co/3ejgIr8

This is for my spare bike; an older 700C-sized "unisex step-through frame" Road/MTB made by CCM. The cheap freewheel on it crunched up the ratchet, so I'm swapping over a Shimano freewheel from the parts mule bike.

This actually is the better of the two spoke discs; the other literally disintegrated into powder and chips just from handling the gear cluster. :o I already spent more than I wanted to on the tool set to swap the freewheel over (a whopping US$17!!! ;)), so cost + hassle factor and drive to get one locally made me give this a try so I can put the damned thing together instead of waiting on the slow boat from China.

As usual, for those who care full details and 3DP nerd stats are here on the 3DP thread.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94497 on: July 14, 2021, 05:04:27 pm »
Some Volt-nuttery.

I finally did a one-to-one comparison between the Siglent SDM 3055 and the high and mighty 3456A. Both have been powered up for over 48 hours. I have proven and demonstrated several times in the past that the 3055 on 2V and 20V ranges consistently reads low. This was BEFORE I purchased the 3456A. Well as you can see the 3456A proves once again the Siglent reads consistently low, in the same amounts as I have shown in the past. Now I know in the real world of voltage measurement these results don't mean jack shit. So “can” the comments concerning that. I've heard before, don't need to hear it again.  ::) The point is it ain't right and I'm sure can be improved. 

SDM 3055                    hp 3456A

190.006mV                  .190005V

1.89973V                     1.89977V

18.9982V                     18.9991V

2.5004V                       2.50064V

4.9976V                       4.99794V

7.4996V                       7.50013V

9.9963V                       9.99694V

Tautech, I read through and viewed all the stuff you sent me and the “home” calibration procedure as proposed by Siglent is a complete joke. If Defpom tried and can't be sure he got good results I certainly am not going to try it. There's too much of a danger you could totally screw it up. If Siglent implements the procedure as proposed by Defpom I would certainly give it a try. But as it stands today it's no freaking way.   :-- :--
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:21:53 pm by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94498 on: July 14, 2021, 05:12:38 pm »
   I think I have bitten off more than I can chew.

OK, not really but I am going to get some chewing practice. I don't have a problem with 0.5mm pitch parts in QFP form, but I've found the 0.5 mm leadless packages a bit intimidating. You've only got to look at that package to figure out why. I've been meaning to find something cheap in QFN that I can get some soldering (reflow) practice with. There are quite a lot of relatively inexpensive MCUs in small QFN packages but none of them are MCU architectures I'm set up to use and I don't really want to set up a toolchain, programming tools etc. just for some soldering practice. The thing is through, you want something you can actually test once you're done.

I finally hit on the ideal part when I was looking to order some 74x595 shift registers the other day. NXP have a 74LVC595 in a 16 pin 2.5 x 3.5mm package (that's it 'dead bug' above). They are £0.097 each + VAT in pack quantity 15, and you're not going to care about scrapping a few 11.64p parts. It's testable as it's easy to daisy chain as many shift registers as you like and the parallel part of the IC is perfectly capable of driving an LED. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is thinking of dipping their toes into the water like me.

https://hackaday.com/2020/11/25/smd-challenge-extreme-edition-gets-our-flux-flowing/

https://github.com/ftemperton/smd_challenge_extreme

Oh, come now... That's just huge compared to my iPud Tristar Chip at ~2.6mm2... ;)

Of course... you could try the HAD SMD Misery Edition instead: https://www.tindie.com/products/makersbox/smd-challenge/

mnem
No, I am not that masochistic. :o

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94499 on: July 14, 2021, 05:14:57 pm »
Two words: fuck that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf