Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16976834 times)

Mike De, Vince and 88 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94450 on: July 14, 2021, 08:37:25 am »
Nothing to do with the COVID jab that. The sudden desire to eat brains might be though  ???

That just comes naturally after you've been living south of the river for a while.  :)

Nah I’m still (just) on the north side where it’s sane. None of that wasteland where the taxis won’t go here  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #94451 on: July 14, 2021, 08:39:04 am »
One for Bean....
Road trip to daughters found her blokes new grinder....evidentially some flash thing made in small #'s in USA and at some price I was too scared to ask about.  :scared:
Micrometer adjustable single cup grind and a little bellow to blow any remaining grounds out of the mechanism.  :-//

Anyways his morning Mocca was to die for and a real kick in the arse pick me up and that good the girl should consider him a keeper even though she don't indulge in the beans.  :-DD

Tick PID controller on the Silvia and nerdy Single shot grinder  :-+ The Grinder is likely more than the cost of the machine by a factor of 2  ;)

Pourover Cone on the right is another sign of Bean addiction too ....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94452 on: July 14, 2021, 08:42:24 am »
Looks like this HP1607A is going to go for the minimum bid. I'm tempted just for those toggle switches, but maybe someone here is a collector of this type of gear?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353569175703

McBryce.

It’s a very early logic analyser that renders 1’s and 0’s on a scope screen. Mostly useless almost immediately after they started selling the ones with microprocessors in. I had the misfortune of using one once and it was terribly frustrating. The thing is also entirely useless without the unobtainium pods. I’d shred it for bits in a second  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94453 on: July 14, 2021, 08:53:31 am »
They’ve got to the point they only talk to me when they’re hungry. Actually that’s not true. I’m trying to negotiate a truce between two of them at the moment and get them out the door for school  :palm:

Delightful, isn't it!

I found it invaluable to be able to distract mine by getting her to do something "dangerous" and interesting. Obviously I chose gliding[1], but something on or under the river might be easier for you.

You'll miss them when they are gone (I'm just going off to help mine before a hygiene inspection next week)

[1] yesterday's news: K13s not allowed to do spinning any more :( So no more pre-solo training where you deliberately enter a spin at 1000ft, rotate once every 3 seconds, descend at 100ft/s, and have to dive at the ground to avoid hitting it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94454 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:18 am »
Nothing to do with the COVID jab that. The sudden desire to eat brains might be though  ???

That just comes naturally after you've been living south of the river for a while.  :)
True, but bd is north of the river, so we can discount that as a possible cause. ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #94455 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:46 am »
One for Bean....
Road trip to daughters found her blokes new grinder....evidentially some flash thing made in small #'s in USA and at some price I was too scared to ask about.  :scared:
Micrometer adjustable single cup grind and a little bellow to blow any remaining grounds out of the mechanism.  :-//

Anyways his morning Mocca was to die for and a real kick in the arse pick me up and that good the girl should consider him a keeper even though she don't indulge in the beans.  :-DD

Tick PID controller on the Silvia and nerdy Single shot grinder  :-+ The Grinder is likely more than the cost of the machine by a factor of 2  ;)

Showing my coffee ignorance - I didn't know the difference between pour over and drip. I have a friend who has gone 'full expresso' weighing the amount of coffee in the shot, made by a grinder with right mix of grain size, right pressure/time etc. He does make a really nice cup - but it takes 20 to 30 mins from cold. My old saeco automatic expresso gets within 20% within 3mins - I am a coffee slob. Apol bean😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94456 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:54 am »
I think you’re insane  :-DD

Realistically these shouldn’t be terrible to place but you’d need a stencil, solder paste, hot air to do it properly. The killer of course is the possibility of bridging pads. Undoing that mistake is risky as braid can lift the solder mask. At which point you’re up shit creek.

Good luck.

The former is taken as given, both the questionability of my sanity and the necessary tools and techniques.

I'm gravitating to stencils as the norm, now I know I can successfully cut my own on the plotter I've even been using them for those little purchased SMD adapter boards.

The thing that's driving this is that increasingly I'm encountering parts that are only available in itty bitty leadless packages. So far that's not been a showstopper, but someday soon I'm going to find a part that I really want/need that's only available in 'stupidly small'. I know that in the past I've passed over ICs because of that. So, I can either keep going "Too small!" or learn to cope with them (or not, whichever ultimately proves to be the case).

Avoiding rework is an issue, hence the desire to get some practice in, both in applying the little sods and learning what makes a good and what makes a bad footprint for them. Tasks for today are (1) do the supermarket shop, (2) read through a Texas Instruments paper on QFN footprint design (scba017d), (3) finish design of a footprint for that package, (4) do an adapter board design that includes it.

On the last point, the adapter board design: I'm down to my last 3 SOIC-16 adapter boards. I had a suspicion, and after checking it out it proved to be right - namely that I can get JLCPCB to make me a few panelised adapter boards cheaper than I can buy ready made ones. I thought I might as well design some with optional decoupling caps on and get them made up. While I was at it, the effort of including a 3.5x2.5mm QFN footprint for experiment/practice seemed worth expending.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94457 on: July 14, 2021, 08:59:14 am »

That just comes naturally after you've been living south north of the river for a while.  :)

FTFY, both for BD and more generally :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94458 on: July 14, 2021, 09:01:18 am »

These big scores always seem to be on the West Coast. I guess that makes sense because Tek is located in Oregon.

When I lived in San Diego, most of the items on that list were in the Navy surplus stores.  But that was 30 years ago.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94459 on: July 14, 2021, 09:02:42 am »
One for Bean....

Showing my coffee ignorance - I didn't know the difference between pour over and drip. I have a friend who has gone 'full expresso' weighing the amount of coffee in the shot, made by a grinder with right mix of grain size, right pressure/time etc. He does make a really nice cup - but it takes 20 to 30 mins from cold. My old saeco automatic expresso gets within 20% within 3mins - I am a coffee slob. Apol bean😂

We have done this before too but it is 'Espresso' heathen  :horse: :-DD

Getting a decent machine heated through is 20-30 minutes to get the Brass consistent the Seaco's and similar will still be better with 10 minutes or so to get the Block to somewhere closer.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94460 on: July 14, 2021, 09:04:04 am »
They’ve got to the point they only talk to me when they’re hungry. Actually that’s not true. I’m trying to negotiate a truce between two of them at the moment and get them out the door for school  :palm:

Delightful, isn't it!

I found it invaluable to be able to distract mine by getting her to do something "dangerous" and interesting. Obviously I chose gliding[1], but something on or under the river might be easier for you.

You'll miss them when they are gone (I'm just going off to help mine before a hygiene inspection next week)

[1] yesterday's news: K13s not allowed to do spinning any more :( So no more pre-solo training where you deliberately enter a spin at 1000ft, rotate once every 3 seconds, descend at 100ft/s, and have to dive at the ground to avoid hitting it.

As someone who floats like a brick I shall avoid the river. Also somewhat risk averse after a few near misses  :-DD

As far as danger goes, we're all going to fly some model rockets shortly. There is a universal interest in things that go woosh and may go horribly wrong  >:D

Currently eyeing this up. Currently placed well above the value as a BIN and the seller isn't fond of low offers but I'm hoping it goes down significantly when relisted...

Appears to be a duff 7474 display driver looking at the schematics, a common problem on devices of that era. However contains unobtanium ADC and  the front end is a hybrid  :scared:. But the bandwidth on it is pretty amazingly high. Possibly an opportunity to get creative.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94461 on: July 14, 2021, 09:06:45 am »
Anyone want a 3 1/2 digit  DC only  HP 3437A voltmeter?     It has HPIB   :=\

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373640333286       Currently no bids at  $25  --- Seller is in the US.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94462 on: July 14, 2021, 09:08:20 am »

Nah I’m still (just) on the north side where it’s sane. None of that wasteland where the taxis won’t go here  :-DD

Yeah, but some places are spiritually south of the river, like Staines. After your descriptions of the local goings-on and bands of roaming feral youth I'm beginning to wonder whether Isleworth doesn't qualify.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94463 on: July 14, 2021, 09:11:10 am »
I think you’re insane  :-DD

Realistically these shouldn’t be terrible to place but you’d need a stencil, solder paste, hot air to do it properly. The killer of course is the possibility of bridging pads. Undoing that mistake is risky as braid can lift the solder mask. At which point you’re up shit creek.

Good luck.

The former is taken as given, both the questionability of my sanity and the necessary tools and techniques.

I'm gravitating to stencils as the norm, now I know I can successfully cut my own on the plotter I've even been using them for those little purchased SMD adapter boards.

The thing that's driving this is that increasingly I'm encountering parts that are only available in itty bitty leadless packages. So far that's not been a showstopper, but someday soon I'm going to find a part that I really want/need that's only available in 'stupidly small'. I know that in the past I've passed over ICs because of that. So, I can either keep going "Too small!" or learn to cope with them (or not, whichever ultimately proves to be the case).

Avoiding rework is an issue, hence the desire to get some practice in, both in applying the little sods and learning what makes a good and what makes a bad footprint for them. Tasks for today are (1) do the supermarket shop, (2) read through a Texas Instruments paper on QFN footprint design (scba017d), (3) finish design of a footprint for that package, (4) do an adapter board design that includes it.

On the last point, the adapter board design: I'm down to my last 3 SOIC-16 adapter boards. I had a suspicion, and after checking it out it proved to be right - namely that I can get JLCPCB to make me a few panelised adapter boards cheaper than I can buy ready made ones. I thought I might as well design some with optional decoupling caps on and get them made up. While I was at it, the effort of including a 3.5x2.5mm QFN footprint for experiment/practice seemed worth expending.

I don't think you have to go all the way to the land of pain. I've settled on 0603, TQFP and SOT23 ish sized stuff and not had any problems with obtaining stuff yet which does what I need. There are a few things I've had to skip such as some of the newer boost/buck converters designed for consumer electronics.

The other option is paying JLCPCB to do some of the assembly for you. I've thought about that as well. It also has the added advantage of not being buggered for half a reel of things that are going to never get used and sit there rotting in a box until you drop dead and then everyone wondering what the hell all the stuff is  :-DD.

Obviously I tend to get full lazy though and just design with big stuff and avoid complexity:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94464 on: July 14, 2021, 09:21:53 am »
Yeah, but some places are spiritually south of the river, like Staines. After your descriptions of the local goings-on and bands of roaming feral youth I'm beginning to wonder whether Isleworth doesn't qualify.  :)

Isleworth and Twickenham are spiritually North for sure. Go on Eel Pie Island or down at the river front and ask if they are South or North. If they don't stab you (a definite North London thing) then they will be offended that you even asked.

For those who don't know Eel Pie island is a little island linked to the North side of the river. Famous for the likes of Eric Clapton, Rod Steward, Dave Brock, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and Elton John hanging around there on a regular basis, drugs and groupies included. Those are definitely North side things. If it was south side it'd be whiney indy shite or rap music  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94465 on: July 14, 2021, 09:34:32 am »

Delightful, isn't it!

As someone who floats like a brick I shall avoid the river. Also somewhat risk averse after a few near misses  :-DD

As far as danger goes, we're all going to fly some model rockets shortly. There is a universal interest in things that go woosh and may go horribly wrong  >:D

Nah, I would have thought that was principally dangerous to others.

I mentioned "under" for a reason :) The possibility of running out of air would be just as adrenaline provoking as becoming strawberry jam.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94466 on: July 14, 2021, 09:39:42 am »
Anyone want a 3 1/2 digit  DC only  HP 3437A voltmeter?     It has HPIB   :=\

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373640333286       Currently no bids at  $25  --- Seller is in the US.

"Condition: Used - Looks great" ?? He obviously uses a different definition of "looks great" than I do!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94467 on: July 14, 2021, 10:18:32 am »
Some sellers on eBay are very slow at giving up, I think I first reported this item for sale about 3 to 4 months but then it was IRRC around the £300 mark was the asking price. I wonder how low it get before either it does sell or gets removed from sale  :palm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393441046651?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94468 on: July 14, 2021, 10:30:45 am »
That’s a “take my trash away” auction. Very irritating those.

Fluke 87 arrived and it’s a good one. Photos coming soon.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94469 on: July 14, 2021, 10:42:11 am »
Great, looking forward to seeing those. Currently, tracking a Fluke 85 here.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94470 on: July 14, 2021, 10:54:28 am »
Here we go. This one was a bit of a bargain. £63.20 delivered. BIN from an excellent seller. Spot on, fast delivery and well packaged and much cheaper than it should have been  :-DD

As arrived with manual and probes.

First power up says good display. Phew

Don't turn it on - take it apart. And I found a MIRACLE. A Duracell that is out of date and hadn't leaked. Whatever next  :scared:. Eviscerated and a GP Ultra installed instead.

No sign of any problems inside. No hacked up fuses. All original  :-+

Back of board inspection - good  :-+

Front of board inspection. Also good :-+

Not a lot to do here so I cleaned out the terminals, brushed the dirt off the membrane and casing and gave it a quick wipe down with a microfibre cloth before reassembly.

Passes all tests and everything works like it should.

And into the herd it goes

I'll clean up the case later as that will require some scrubbing. It probably won't live in the case to be honest. Probe inspection will happen later too.

Anyway that's the first acquisition post from me for a long time. Finally back on the treadmill  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94471 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:28 am »
klaxon ... hmmm.

I have a pneumatic horn sitting here, rating is 135 db@1m ....

Do you also have the recommended accessoires?

Whoa! Capt. Bullshot hat die groesste(n) Hupe(n)!

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, ch_scr, Bad_Driver

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94472 on: July 14, 2021, 11:12:22 am »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #94473 on: July 14, 2021, 11:40:32 am »
One for Bean....

Yep, bang on in all counts.
When he told me the grinder would produce different brews at the same setting with a new bag of beans and he'd have to tweak the grind for taste I knew he was your type of bean addict  :o and why I grabbed some pics.  :)

Yet he would only have 1 or 2/day whereas I was hanging out for more.  :scared:
Stuff that so I headed for home a day earlier than was planned so I could fit in the usual 3 before lunch.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94474 on: July 14, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »
One for Bean....

Yep, bang on in all counts.
When he told me the grinder would produce different brews at the same setting with a new bag of beans and he'd have to tweak the grind for taste I knew he was your type of bean addict  :o and why I grabbed some pics.  :)

Yet he would only have 1 or 2/day whereas I was hanging out for more.  :scared:
Stuff that so I headed for home a day earlier than was planned so I could fit in the usual 3 before lunch.  :phew:

Normally only a 2-3 doubleshots a day here. Today was however a 4 up day the TDF sleep deprivation is kicking in  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf