Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16985263 times)

wkb and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94350 on: July 12, 2021, 08:43:23 pm »
Guess which idiot bought the wrong fans for his new server. Got DC ones instead of PWM  |O :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94351 on: July 12, 2021, 08:46:51 pm »
ebay spots time, which has come around faster than usual because I'm sat at home bored.

Judging from the insular nature of nearly all the items shipping options (UK only) it appears that the island kingdom has finally understood that ragequitting the relationship does nothing for trade...  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94352 on: July 12, 2021, 08:47:28 pm »
Guess which idiot bought the wrong fans for his new server. Got DC ones instead of PWM  |O :palm:

D'OH.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94353 on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:51 pm »
ebay spots time, which has come around faster than usual because I'm sat at home bored.

Judging from the insular nature of nearly all the items shipping options (UK only) it appears that the island kingdom has finally understood that ragequitting the relationship does nothing for trade...  :-DD

Let it sink.  >:D Oooh, did I just say that?  :-DD :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94354 on: July 12, 2021, 08:51:26 pm »
Yeah... but the situation of the rental was not.

Property has a basement tenant, and the property owner had made his own apartment of the two garages. That, combined with high, narrow "country roads" and dee-ee-heh-eeeep ditches, with remote location meaning any real snowstorm would likely take the road out of commission for days, made us both quite uneasy.

We decided to run, not walk to the nearest exit.

mnem

It'd be the basement tenant that would have been the deal breaker for me.  Winter's a fact of life above the 401 snow belt and they're pretty good at keeping the roads clear up in the Newmarket and north area.

I think the attraction is having the space to the nearest neighbours, although in that case, the landlord living in the garage would be pretty close by.  I don't mind having my small house in a wartime suburb of a town down the road from Toronto in and of itself but one of the neighbours turned into a problem a few years ago and I wouldn't mind a bit more distance from her place to mine which is why the appreciation for houses in open spaces.  I feel sorry for her husband because she's singlehandedly destroyed their relationships with all of the neighbours on the street.

Sounds like a typical "Angry Karen". Typical middle-aged short dyed blond haired overweight white woman who can't control her emotions and butts into everyone's business. Am I close?  :-//
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:55:39 pm by med6753 »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94355 on: July 12, 2021, 08:57:44 pm »
AVGresponding

you missed this one:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224502073196
I just got it on  lowball offer  :D
It's a Canuk low resistance meter that sells at $5540 (US) Might have to flip it. I just happened to have removed the LEMO connector required for the repair from a radiation detector.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94356 on: July 12, 2021, 09:05:52 pm »
On a different note I got about 40% down payment for the pinball machine that a certain individual sold without paying for it ( value around 8k)  unfortunately he is paying in pinball machines. So it will be a 4 to 1 swap. I already received 1 (value about 3k), he want to bring 2 more @abot 1500 k) and needs to find a 4th one. With luck he may find it somewhere else and just hand it over. Also received about 60% of the cash he owed. I want this resolved...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94357 on: July 12, 2021, 09:07:27 pm »
Hmm,
Just won two 386 Dos6.22 handheld things  ???
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255042729536
Forgot I had put a maiden £8 bid on those. No one else interested. Something else to play with. Used to have Huskey Hunters years ago.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94358 on: July 12, 2021, 09:09:57 pm »

Here take my footgun. I've used it too often recently and it sounds like it's your turn to need the use of it.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94359 on: July 12, 2021, 09:11:39 pm »
Bwuhahaha yes indeed. I managed to frig it to work with DC fans in the end. This is an Asus Intel board (B560M) so I'm one damn fan header short as well and CPU_OPT has no fan control. Need to dig around to see if I have a splitter cable now  >:(

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94360 on: July 12, 2021, 09:13:26 pm »
You need 50 grams ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94361 on: July 12, 2021, 09:21:38 pm »
Not yet  :-DD

Fan splitter located and installed. Running Prime95 now ...

Edit: That's a win. i7-10700 running flat out at 51 oC with prime95 16 threads barely audible fans  :-+
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:29:25 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94362 on: July 12, 2021, 10:23:04 pm »
You need 50 grams ?

50 grams? Overkill. Much more fun to dice it into small regular pieces with perhaps 10 grams of PETN, some copper foil, a small cardboard box and a big polythene bag full of water.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94363 on: July 12, 2021, 10:30:50 pm »

Cheap start on a basic DSO in the land of the free:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274864524169

You need this one to go with your RS Pro PSU !  :P

Yes it's a SDS1000**L rebadge.

Import duties etc would make it far too expensive. For me to buy something from the US it needs to be a real sore-dick deal.

AVGresponding

you missed this one:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224502073196
I just got it on  lowball offer  :D
It's a Canuk low resistance meter that sells at $5540 (US) Might have to flip it. I just happened to have removed the LEMO connector required for the repair from a radiation detector.

That's not the sort of thing that I go looking for, no surprise I missed it...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94364 on: July 12, 2021, 10:33:06 pm »

Some things are more important than international trade, but I see no point to resurrecting this dead political argument.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94365 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:53 pm »

I bought this today because 2 dollah, solid cast/machined AL, and just right for my favorite set of jeweler's drivers.

Is it wrong that now I want to drop everything I'm doing and start designing/printing the Samaritan...? :-DD

It's almost the right scale... According to Adam Savage, the real movie prop gun uses 22mm (7-ish ga) rounds; these are 20mm chambers. But it holds 6 rounds, while the Samaritan (the one from the real Hellboy, not the reboot) holds only 4...  *wibble* :o

mnem

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:37:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94366 on: July 12, 2021, 11:09:28 pm »
Since one hour I'm looking for a website where I can check serial numbers for HP/Agilent/Keysight gear.
Anybody here, which can help me providing an URL? Thanks.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94367 on: July 12, 2021, 11:58:08 pm »
Since one hour I'm looking for a website where I can check serial numbers for HP/Agilent/Keysight gear.
Anybody here, which can help me providing an URL? Thanks.

I'm not aware of any, but the best place to ask would be https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/

It would probably help to know the instrument and what you are checking. HP was very decentralised and some people will have specific local knowledge.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94368 on: July 13, 2021, 12:00:42 am »
After seeing something about the cobalt blue mug posted a while back, I added 'Tektronix mug' to my search on our favorite wallet-sucking site.  One showed up last week and I jumped on it; it arrived today.  It looks brand new, and was sent by someone who actually knows how to pack - it was overkill if anything - wrapped in soft foam surrounded by a custom cut roughly mug-shaped cardboard surround, then packed in bubble wrap and pillows in a roughly 9 x 11 x 6" (23 x 28 x 16 cm for you metric types) cardboard box.  The moron who shipped those poor HP mugs that were destroyed in transit because they were sent in their tiny individual cartons sans any kind of padding should have THIS box shoved up their ass as punishment/a lesson.

-Pat

I was outbid on one of these a couple of months back. Well scored!

If that was the one in early May, I was one of those who bid against you, but was also outbid.  If I see another come up, I'll point you to it.  This one was listed as a buy-it-now, so I wasted no time.  With patience, more should eventually appear.  Same thing happened with the HP mugs, but if I remember correctly, I had those in my search for much longer than the few months this one took.

-Pat

Makes me feel a bit selfish for keeping both of the ones my wife bought me;  but I know I only got mine intact by the vagaries of the chain of custody, and I also know that the moment I let one of them go, the other will be lost or broken. Especially since I'm engaged in a move right now...  :scared:

mnem
Also, giving away a wife gift is bad mojo. :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94369 on: July 13, 2021, 12:10:40 am »

Here take my footgun. I've used it too often recently and it sounds like it's your turn to need the use of it.

This is for the both of you:

If that's the worst that happens tooya in a day... it's been a damned fine day. ;)

mnem

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94370 on: July 13, 2021, 12:30:07 am »

Nice. Is that a rail on top or only a metal cover?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94371 on: July 13, 2021, 12:37:40 am »
Bwuhahaha yes indeed. I managed to frig it to work with DC fans in the end. This is an Asus Intel board (B560M) so I'm one damn fan header short as well and CPU_OPT has no fan control. Need to dig around to see if I have a splitter cable now  >:(
Quick, someone pass me the smelling salts, I keep thinking that I read that bd139 is installing fans, lemme check again, nope, its real he is installing the thing he hates the most, ............ fans  :o >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94372 on: July 13, 2021, 12:46:16 am »
I needed to order #16 socket contacts for MIL-C-26482 Ser2. and found a seller in Italy who does surplus. Got 30 for 20.- and while I was there, I saw some interesting transistors, so I ordered some of the following:
2N5416 STMicroelectronics High Voltage Amplifiers
2N6661 Supertex Inc. gold pin MOSFET TO-39
2N2920 fairchild transistor gold pin (should read DOUBLE transistor)
BFX81 SGS Transistor HIGH-SPEED Complementary Amplifier
and a box of #12 contacts on top.
Seller is rojamach0305. They posted everything instantly from Italy for 5.-, so I wonder what is behind all those exaggerated postal charges on Ebay. Simply shitbrains or unable to check tarriffs?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94373 on: July 13, 2021, 02:34:58 am »
You'll probably have to ransom them at the border. If somebody bothers to notify you.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94374 on: July 13, 2021, 04:24:19 am »
It'd be the basement tenant that would have been the deal breaker for me.  Winter's a fact of life above the 401 snow belt and they're pretty good at keeping the roads clear up in the Newmarket and north area.

I think the attraction is having the space to the nearest neighbours, although in that case, the landlord living in the garage would be pretty close by.  I don't mind having my small house in a wartime suburb of a town down the road from Toronto in and of itself but one of the neighbours turned into a problem a few years ago and I wouldn't mind a bit more distance from her place to mine which is why the appreciation for houses in open spaces.  I feel sorry for her husband because she's singlehandedly destroyed their relationships with all of the neighbours on the street.

Sounds like a typical "Angry Karen". Typical middle-aged short dyed blond haired overweight white woman who can't control her emotions and butts into everyone's business. Am I close?  :-//

Close.  She's definitely an "Angry Karen" for sure but after that she starts to diverge from the pattern.  She's average weight, in her low sixties which puts her closer to miserable old bat territory given her age and temperament than middle age and she tries to hide it by dying her hair black.  It might cover up the grey that's crept in over the years but not the nastiness.

Butting into everyone's business is an on again/off again thing with her.  She absolutely refuses to have anything to do with me which is fine but she's taken it to the point that if I come home and park in the driveway and she's on her front porch smoking, she immediately crushes out her cigarette and stomps inside.  I've cost her a fortune in wasted cigarettes over the years.  Every time I come home from work.  Every time I come home from the store.  The sight of me unloading groceries from the car is so offensive.  The sight of me putting the garbage bins out is so offensive.  And worse - the test equipment - the stuff that looks like it came out of a science fiction movie - she's probably terrified of what I might be doing in here.

Anyways, her husband and the guy next door to me were good friends for a while.  She and her husband would always be over next door, swimming in the neighbours' pool, the two guys would go on fishing trips up north etc. all the time and that ended and they refuse to talk to her and her husband now.  Apparently while they were guests at the neighbours next door, this nasty piece of work opened her mouth and made several real choice comments about how the other neighbour doesn't spoil her husband enough in the bedroom.  Talk about inciting the start of World War III.  That ended that friendship right there and there's been no more weekend fishing trips and no more invitations to swim in the pool after that.  As for me, whenever I have friends over here, I always see them off when they leave and we always chat before they jump back in their car and head home purposefully ruining cigarettes on her front porch.

Lucky for her it's been so rainy recently.  I've got a pair of KLH model 6 speakers that were given to me.  The person that owned them decided they're not worth restoring and apparently one of them has a blown tweeter.  I was talking about this with one of my friends from college and said that since they're throwaways, it'll be interesting to sweep them and see how they measure up on the SPL meter between the good speaker and the one with the bad tweeter and see what's going on with them, then test them to the point of destruction just to see how much abuse they can take before they give up.  The friend laughed and said they need to be pointing at her house when I do this.  I said of course.  So when the two of us get our days off to line up with good weather, the speakers, a power amp, and some test gear are going to go in the back yard.  I haven't signed the Geneva Conventions and that means I don't have to be nice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf