Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16858450 times)

Cesar_D, Vince, wkb and 141 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94050 on: July 09, 2021, 08:59:30 pm »
Ok for science I just tried mixing the two together unsuccessfully. Messy and looks and tastes like ass.
And all in the best possible taste....Kenny Everett

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94051 on: July 09, 2021, 09:00:39 pm »
Sounds like Canada...

...or France until a few years ago, when everything had to be ordered from Paris and would take two weeks to arrive.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94052 on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:57 pm »
"Your item has reached Romford MC and will now be sent to your local delivery office."

Ooo! Ooo! I might get my PCBs tomorrow!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94053 on: July 09, 2021, 09:35:04 pm »
fer forks sake...   |O :palm:

I guess I just bought a FLIR One for Android. And I was hoping to buy a Cat 62  :rant:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94054 on: July 09, 2021, 09:37:35 pm »
"Your item has reached Romford MC and will now be sent to your local delivery office."

Ooo! Ooo! I might get my PCBs tomorrow!
If not, I'd run Mr Postman because Cerebus will have to get his ceremonial disembowelling knife bloodied again.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94055 on: July 09, 2021, 09:43:19 pm »
Mr postman will only arrive for the nanosecond it takes to drop off the red slip anyway so he's probably safe from being disembowelled.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94056 on: July 09, 2021, 09:46:30 pm »
I am happy to report that the recapped mixer works. And that we're still, as species, capable of gathering together and celebrating the Jazz Music. (which isn't dead, just smelling funny.)  A very happy evening was had by all. I haven't forgotten how the machines work.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94057 on: July 09, 2021, 09:50:58 pm »
Bwa-ha-ha-ha !

Witness the power of Cerebus' words!
Stand in awe of his mystical powers!
Tremble at his smell!

Wait, what?

It's okay buddy... we still love you. *steps in and gives the earthpig a big teddydwagon hug*

mnem
*steps back and nods approvingly at the little tree air freshener now hung around C's neck*   :-+
"Jaka! Jaka! Jaka!"

"Yeees, short grey light of my life?"

"Where's my ceremonial disemboweling knife?"

"In the dishwasher."

"In the dishwasher! That's made of New Sepran steel! That is not how one treats a ritual disembowelling knife!"

"But it was all bloody."

"It's supposed to be bloody, stops it rusting, and gets the attention of anyone you need to show it to."

[Wanders off  to the kitchen, muttering to himself.]

*mnementh ambles off to the kitchen in search of a croissant and horseradish to go with these sandwich steaks he just grilled up*

"Oh, hey buddy... wow, is that blade ever shiny!!!"

One, two! One, two! and through and through; the vorpal butterknife went snicker-snack!

And the tinkerdwagon burbled in dismay, clutching his belly as he fell back.

"Et tu, Cerebus...? Prithy tell, what prompted this attack...?"

"Ehhh... it's Friday." answered the other with a shrug, secreting the bloody blade in his pack.

The dwagon gurgled sympathetically "Of course it is... and everybody knows how you loathe fish...."

"Oh bother... I shall have to postpone my dinner while I find a druid to stitch me whole again;

would you kindly find a fridge for this dish...?"

*looking to his full paws one after the other, mnementh hands off the steaming meat with an imploring gaze*

"Sure, buddy... anything for you..." answers the aardvark, taking the food with the slyest grin. "...Anything you wish."

mnem
*toddles off in search of some gaffer tape to hold his insides inside* :o

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94058 on: July 09, 2021, 09:53:09 pm »
Mr postman will only arrive for the nanosecond it takes to drop off the red slip anyway so he's probably safe from being disembowelled.
Well thats assuming he doesn't deliver tomorrow, there's always Monday and Cerebus will be waiting for him, knife gleaming in his hand.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94059 on: July 09, 2021, 09:59:17 pm »
Bwa-ha-ha-ha !

Witness the power of Cerebus' words!
Stand in awe of his mystical powers!
Tremble at his smell!

Wait, what?

It's okay buddy... we still love you. *steps in and gives the earthpig a big teddydwagon hug*

mnem
*steps back and nods approvingly at the little tree air freshener now hung around C's neck*   :-+
"Jaka! Jaka! Jaka!"

"Yeees, short grey light of my life?"

"Where's my ceremonial disemboweling knife?"

"In the dishwasher."

"In the dishwasher! That's made of New Sepran steel! That is not how one treats a ritual disembowelling knife!"

"But it was all bloody."

"It's supposed to be bloody, stops it rusting, and gets the attention of anyone you need to show it to."

[Wanders off  to the kitchen, muttering to himself.]

*mnementh ambles off to the kitchen in search of a croissant and horseradish to go with these sandwich steaks he just grilled up*

"Oh, hey buddy... wow, is that blade ever shiny!!!"

One, two! One, two! and through and through; the vorpal butterknife went snicker-snack!

And the tinkerdwagon burbled in dismay, clutching his belly as he fell back.

"Et tu, Cerebus...? Prithy tell, what prompted this attack...?"

"Ehhh... it's Friday." answered the other with a shrug, secreting the bloody blade in his pack.

The dwagon gurgled sympathetically "Of course it is... and everybody knows how you loathe fish...."

"Oh bother... I shall have to postpone my dinner while I find a druid to stitch me whole again;

would you kindly find a fridge for this dish...?"

*looking to his full paws one after the other, mnementh hands off the steaming meat with an imploring gaze*

"Sure, buddy... anything for you..." answers the aardvark, taking the food with the slyest grin. "...Anything you wish."

mnem
*toddles off in search of some gaffer tape to hold his insides inside* :o

Oh lord, ere we go again each one adding the next chapter in this long-running saga, might as well pull up a chair and enjoy the show as each one tries to outshine the other, back and forth they go until they call a truce, because neither can land a body blow to keep the other down for a count of 10  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94060 on: July 09, 2021, 10:00:34 pm »
Ok for science I just tried mixing the two together unsuccessfully. Messy and looks and tastes like ass.

Welp... there's 90 seconds of my life I'll never get back... I think I'd rather have taste-tested the vodka-Nutella ass-butter...  :o

mnem
*starts writing up a bill for services rendered*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94061 on: July 09, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »

I don't want to know how you know that.  :o

;)

On other notes:
I've received today the survey for this kickstarter project: Quantum playing cards

I'm really looking forward to it when they arrive.  :-+  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94062 on: July 09, 2021, 10:29:39 pm »

On other notes:
I've received today the survey for this kickstarter project: Quantum playing cards

"I've no idea how those two aces got there. Perhaps they quantum tunneled?"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94063 on: July 09, 2021, 10:31:40 pm »

90% of taste is smell and I've smelled ass before  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94064 on: July 09, 2021, 11:09:47 pm »

Welp... there's 90 seconds of my life I'll never get back... I think I'd rather have taste-tested the vodka-Nutella ass-butter...  :o

mnem

Kenny Everett was a comic genius, really using TV to its full extent. That Cupid Stunt quote "all done in the best possible taste" has become a meme.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #94065 on: July 09, 2021, 11:10:40 pm »
Long live sid snot
http://youtu.be/3ppZscIMwf0
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94066 on: July 09, 2021, 11:12:56 pm »

90% of taste is smell and I've smelled ass before  :-DD

Nobody ever accused me of having depth perception problems; more like the opposite in fact :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94067 on: July 09, 2021, 11:14:06 pm »
Long live sid snot
http://youtu.be/3ppZscIMwf0

And Hot Gossip, and ......., and......

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #94068 on: July 09, 2021, 11:39:17 pm »
I got my HP 6209B working. I lucked out that this unit and the owner's manual were created with ease-of-maintenance as a requirement. Of course I had to replace the autopsied, definitely-not-a-film cap, but I figured that while I've got the patient opened up on the operating table I'd replace the other big caps before they go all RIFA on my ass. I tested the capacitance and ESR of all of the outgoing caps and also of the incoming caps as well. Those old Sprague caps looked great on the LCR meter. I was surprised that one of the outgoing caps was right on spec for capacitance and had a (slightly) lower ESR than the cap that was to replace it. That's for an aluminum electrolytic made in 1986. Hats off to HP for buying really nice caps. I also replaced the integrated power cord. I wouldn't have had to, but some rocket surgeon twisted the old one up tight before putting this unit into storage several decades ago and it had taken a set as curly as the handset cord on a Western Electric Model 500. After buttoning everything back up I cranked up the power supply to 300V / 100mA and hooked it up to my DC electronic load for a few minutes. I'm proud that I was able to get it running again. I will never be at the pro level but I am enjoying the journey.

Because the new caps have only two leads, the caps were flapping in the breeze so I tacked them down with a bit of electronics-friendly silicone. I wouldn't be able to live with myself, if, after I died, the unit failed because a cap lead broke from vibrations during shipping.

The manual has a couple of interesting items. Even though it's rated for 0-320V, "[...] the power supply can be operated floating at up to a maximum of 300 Volts off ground". Also, the procedure for setting the current in CV mode includes the following: "Short circuit output terminals, set meter switch to desired current range and adjust Current Controls for desired output current." Well, when the output is set to 300V, shorting the output terminals results in a spark and an audible "pop".

I also finished up my Topward TPS-4000 DC power supply. I bought it fully functional, but it seems that the previous owner(s) had dropped it on its face more often than they should have. I replaced the post-rectification smoothing caps (preventative maintenance), the power switch, the tracking/independent switch, and all of the binding posts. I desoldered a couple of the binding posts but eventually realized that it's easier to just cut the binding posts in two with a nice pair of side-cutters. The old binding posts for the variable outputs were yellow(+), red(-), and black(G). Inexplicably, the fixed 5V output used an alternate color scheme of red(+) and black(-). This bit me at least once when I was inattentive and hooked up a device backwards, resulting in an audible "pop" (and a flying cap case) from a small electrolytic capacitor. Additionally, I filled in the markings in the knobs with a Sharpie that I sharpened with an X-Acto. I wiped the excess ink off the knobs with a paper towel dampened with IPA. This unit is a joy to use.

Now I think that I finally have everything I need to start characterizing small signal vacuum tubes, so I'm waiting for FedEx.

The other day I dreamed up an unlikely scenario wherein I needed to automate the graphing of tube input voltages vs output voltages. I started looking around on ebay for bench multimeters that play well with sigrok and testController. I quickly found one and made an offer that was accepted. The package is now bouncing around in the back of a FedEx truck on the way to my nest, if FedEx's tracking is to be believed. Of course, yesterday their site said that the package was in a neighboring state (Oregon) and would definitely be delivered no later than 9PM, no question. I had my doubts, but kept an eye out the window. The FedEx truck drove down my street, made some deliveries, came back up the street and zoomed right past without so much as a how-do-you-do. FedEx now says that TODAY is the big day and that my package will certainly be delivered no later than 9PM. Hmph.

Off-topic, on-topic:

This stuff is quite good, except that it will make you sick or poor or fat. Try it with ice and cream and vodka, or with fancy vanilla-bean ice cream and self-pity.

https://www.godivaliqueurs.com/

Oh, I think I hear FedEx. Gotta go!

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel, AVGresponding

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94069 on: July 09, 2021, 11:48:15 pm »
As for the RIFA madness, I've stolen found this nice cartoon in the What did you buy today thread:

:-DD :-DD :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94070 on: July 10, 2021, 12:01:40 am »

mnem
Kenny Everett was a comic genius, really using TV to its full extent. That Cupid Stunt quote "all done in the best possible taste" has become a meme.

That was mostly dwagon tongue-in-cheek... tho I have to admit, I've never had the same appreciation for comedy that revolves around guys in drag as seems endemic to Brits.  :o

Maybe it has to do with "queer" always being pretty much a "Who fucking cares...?" thing for me as I grew up half the time on a farm and half in the city, so never really got too rooted in either mindset.

In fact, that situation made it much easier for me to look at a lot of the "social norms" in either scenario with a more analytical attitude, and I realized at a young age how ridiculous so many of the "little personal repressions" we take for granted as required social lubricant really are.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:45:47 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94071 on: July 10, 2021, 12:17:58 am »
On other notes:

https://www.qedplayingcards.com/resources/booklet/quantum

Amusing... tho I think it really would have been bloody brilliant if they had in fact made the deck a flip book with that animation on it. Also, I think they should have contracted to get those double-slit experiment cards laser-cut. ;)

mnem
"Somewhere Niels Bohr walks among us, unobserved and immortal."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:51:59 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94072 on: July 10, 2021, 12:44:16 am »

Long live sid snot

Damn you! That vid cost me my fave headsets!!!  :P

Just broke in my hands when I went to watch yer little pet perv; wonder if it were the Universe telling me not to go down that rabbit-hole...? :-DD

mnem
Hope this one costs you at least a 6-pack.  >:D

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #94073 on: July 10, 2021, 01:24:00 am »
@mnem - condolences re the fav headset -
If it is any consolation I have a young puppy here - and I am sick of hovering about whisking her outside when she looks like something is going to happen - and 10mins later cleaning up the mess inside.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94074 on: July 10, 2021, 01:29:36 am »
As for the RIFA madness, I've stolen found this nice cartoon in the What did you buy today thread:

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Meanwhile, up in the Great White North...

mnem
true story. :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf