Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17730216 times)

PA0PBZ, Robert763, Vince, Vgkid and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94000 on: July 09, 2021, 11:05:27 am »
This could get wild real quick!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94001 on: July 09, 2021, 11:11:01 am »

Ok, Dude, you provoked.
Getting dye now, training the batshit look  :-DD

Looking forward to seeing the results.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94002 on: July 09, 2021, 11:14:10 am »
On the batshit look, I accidentally came across a photo of a goat I took a few years ago the other day. It's the same look my ex wife has. There was a combination of hatred, evil and simultaneously not a lot going on at the same time.

Bored here. Nothing to buy on ebay. Considering building a silent Linux PC for VM host because I'm bored. Insanity or not?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94003 on: July 09, 2021, 11:19:16 am »
I must get back on the FRK Rubidium build first....

Now that is something I haven't heard in a very long time.   I worked for Efratom when I was undergraduate at UCI.  Maybe 1979?? They hired me because I was cheap labor.   I wrote the program and built some of the hardware that tested them during the ageing process.     As I recall there were ~10 of the cubes on test connected to a Racal Dana switch.   The output of the switch went to a traceable frequency counter.  My program logged the results and printed a report.     Commodore PET, Basic and assembly,  IEEE-488.

As I remember it was testing the crystal oven output  and not the finished device.   

There was a lot of hand labor that  went into the final product.     Assembly was by hand, of course.   There was a lot of technician time in testing,  tweaking and troubleshooting to get them in spec.

If you search this thread for FRK you will find more information. I have a number of FRKs and recently pulled one out of storage, fixed an intermittent fault and am boxing it up. Mainly as a frequency standard (I've several GPSDOs) but with a clock display (old HP amber dot LEDs) for fun.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94004 on: July 09, 2021, 12:11:07 pm »

If you search this thread for FRK you will find more information. I have a number of FRKs and recently pulled one out of storage, fixed an intermittent fault and am boxing it up. Mainly as a frequency standard (I've several GPSDOs) but with a clock display (old HP amber dot LEDs) for fun.

Well done. I'm surprised there are any left in working condtion.      When I was at Efratom California, producion rate was not exactly huge.  I recall 3 digit serial numbers.

Did you know that Efratom made a time of day display clock? 

It was in the catalog but I don't know if they sold any.    There was one in one of the racks of test gear, connected to the house 10MHz oscilator. It might have been on of a kind.   Wish I'd taken photos.   The house standard was traceable to NBS.    There was another rack of stuff for that.  I don't remember how it worked.   Maybe from broadcast TV or even a  very early GPS reciever.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94005 on: July 09, 2021, 12:12:12 pm »
Aaaand, I have a USPS tracking number for my HP 53132A.

My life at the moment seems to revolve around checking the tracking status of all the things I'm expecting, but that aren't here yet!!!!

Not that I'm like a small kid waiting for Christmas. Oh no. Not me.

OK, I am.

Feels like Christmas in July with all this waiting for goodies (self included).

Well, some of the waiting is over.

Got my ER20 collet set and they look well enough made that there's a real chance that they may meet their 8 um runout spec - the 8mm one gives a lovely smooth locational clearance/transition fit with a bit of precision ground 8mm rod that I keep around to test fits and runout. Now I just have to wait for the collet holder.

Also got some Russian NOS 470pF 10% 200V Teflon capacitors. I pick these up in different values from time to time as I find them for those occasions where only a teflon capacitor will do. It is galling that  the world has stopped making them, nothing else available combines low dielectric absorbance with low leakage quite as well as teflon does. Mine don't generally get built into things but kept around for making measurements with, like measuring DMM input leakage currents by watching the DMM charge or discharge the capacitor.

The collet set has been racing my PCBs across the world, but the collet set won. Hopefully this means my PCBs arrive tomorrow.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94006 on: July 09, 2021, 12:33:23 pm »

I quite enjoy bringing Tek 54x and 555's back to life.   Rugley is just inside the reasonable distance from Anglesey.   

Not that I need it to get a 546 or 547 working. 

A few problems remain:

• Tunnel Diodes
  • Not enough space on my workbench
  • One hernia is enough, thank you
  • I would need to buy a bigger house.
  • Debbie would leave me

Someone has bid on them.  Anyone here?

As near as I can tell the tunnel diodes in the A & B Trigger are apparently OK. Same with HV transformer. Obviously I can better confirm this once I get the vertical and sweep fully operational.

Bench 2 can barely accommodate and I have to remove most of the other equipment.

Agreed. One hernia is one too many.

Yes, for all practical purposes I am out of room. But by impractical means I have plenty of room.  :-DD

Jo Ann does not live here and has no say in the matter but she does think I'm nuts.  ;D

And this morning it tried different tactics. I won't work. But damn she is cute and she's got the batshit look.  >:D ;D

Is it just me, or do we think that perhaps Mike's doctor needs to adjust his medication?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94007 on: July 09, 2021, 12:42:16 pm »
Bored here. Nothing to buy on ebay. Considering building a silent Linux PC for VM host because I'm bored. Insanity or not?

Have you seen these yet? https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-(uk)-marconi-tf2016a-sig-gen-racal-dana-9009-global-spec-8201-sig-gen/

My latest acquisition is a Duratool desoldering pump, ebay ofc, which I managed to bag for £51 shipped. Finally picked it up from the sorting office today, after a bit over a week (work hours and sorting office hours are not a good match atm).

It was a definite and immediate candidate for "don't turn it on, take it apart", as there was the sound of small metal parts rattling around, and also the thump of large internal components doing the same.
Opened it up to discover the pump and power supply (contained within its own aluminium case) flopping around tethered by their wires and tubes. The small parts were the flange nuts for mounting the rubber frame of the pump.
No screws to be found anywhere, so can't blame RM for this, it's clearly the dumbass former user's fault.

Fortunately, like all of us here I have a significant collection of useful orphaned hardware, and soon found a sufficient number of flange head M4 screws of the correct lengths, and the shake-proof washers for them.

All back together now, and I am very impressed with it, makes stripping a board a trivial and easy task.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94008 on: July 09, 2021, 12:50:47 pm »

Ok, Dude, you provoked.

Looking forward to seeing the results.  :P :P :-DD
Up close and personnel   ::) :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94009 on: July 09, 2021, 12:54:00 pm »
Wow, my car paint has been delivered, tested it already, good colour match. Now to remove the old trim, insert the replacement, mask the roof and windows and spray it, what could go wrong I wonder, rain??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94010 on: July 09, 2021, 01:02:01 pm »

All back together now, and I am very impressed with it, makes stripping a board a trivial and easy task.

Yes, you and me both -- even if they're simple devices, they really help. I would not have managed the mixer recap without mine. Not without mishaps, that is.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94011 on: July 09, 2021, 01:06:49 pm »
<snip>
My latest acquisition is a Duratool desoldering pump, ebay ofc, which I managed to bag for £51 shipped. Finally picked it up from the sorting office today, after a bit over a week (work hours and sorting office hours are not a good match atm).

It was a definite and immediate candidate for "don't turn it on, take it apart", as there was the sound of small metal parts rattling around, and also the thump of large internal components doing the same.
Opened it up to discover the pump and power supply (contained within its own aluminium case) flopping around tethered by their wires and tubes. The small parts were the flange nuts for mounting the rubber frame of the pump.
No screws to be found anywhere, so can't blame RM for this, it's clearly the dumbass former user's fault.

Fortunately, like all of us here I have a significant collection of useful orphaned hardware, and soon found a sufficient number of flange head M4 screws of the correct lengths, and the shake-proof washers for them.

[/color][/size][/b]
I have the very same model and I love it, as you say, stripping a board is now dead easy, unless you need to change the nozzle size, which needs to done when its cold for obvious reasons, not sure about the price though, I think I only paid £10 more and mine was brand new.

Did you get the 2 other nozzles, spare filter pads and the 3 ram rods with it as well?

@bd, you really should get one of these.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94012 on: July 09, 2021, 01:13:54 pm »
In non TE news, some New Zealand parents have named their triplets "Metallica", "Slayer", and "Pantera".

This is a clear opportunity for tautech to lobby his offspring to name their next additions "Siglent", "Tektronix", and "Fluke"...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: tautech, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94013 on: July 09, 2021, 01:17:03 pm »
I have the very same model and I love it, as you say, stripping a board is now dead easy, unless you need to change the nozzle size, which needs to done when its cold for obvious reasons, not sure about the price though, I think I only paid £10 more and mine was brand new.

Did you get the 2 other nozzles, spare filter pads and the 3 ram rods with it as well?

You found a bargain then, new ones are double that price normally.

Yes, it came with all the bits, and they were not rattling loose in the case...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94014 on: July 09, 2021, 01:22:15 pm »
Bored with looking at PC bits now  :-DD

AVGresponding: momentarily tempted by the TF2016 until I remember the TF2015 I did a while back

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2356251/#msg2356251

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2357232/#msg2357232

No output? That’ll be because someone hooked a transmitter into it and accidentally keyed down and toasted the last couple of attenuator steps. Complete bastard those are. Pictures above.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94015 on: July 09, 2021, 01:27:30 pm »
Need PC bits ? Lemme know ...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94016 on: July 09, 2021, 01:34:51 pm »

I quite enjoy bringing Tek 54x and 555's back to life.   Rugley is just inside the reasonable distance from Anglesey.   

Not that I need it to get a 546 or 547 working. 

A few problems remain:

• Tunnel Diodes
  • Not enough space on my workbench
  • One hernia is enough, thank you
  • I would need to buy a bigger house.
  • Debbie would leave me

Someone has bid on them.  Anyone here?

As near as I can tell the tunnel diodes in the A & B Trigger are apparently OK. Same with HV transformer. Obviously I can better confirm this once I get the vertical and sweep fully operational.

Bench 2 can barely accommodate and I have to remove most of the other equipment.

Agreed. One hernia is one too many.

Yes, for all practical purposes I am out of room. But by impractical means I have plenty of room.  :-DD

Jo Ann does not live here and has no say in the matter but she does think I'm nuts.  ;D

And this morning it tried different tactics. I won't work. But damn she is cute and she's got the batshit look.  >:D ;D

Ok, Dude, you provoked.

I think the batshit look comes automatically as soon as the dye has dried. No training required.

On a more TEA note: Tempted to buy this just cos it looks cool. Absolutely no use for it: https://www.ebay.de/itm/124803818243

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #94017 on: July 09, 2021, 01:39:38 pm »

Ok, Dude, you provoked.

You have been here long enough dye not required and batshit crazy look is taken as a given  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94018 on: July 09, 2021, 01:44:28 pm »
Wow, my car paint has been delivered, tested it already, good colour match. Now to remove the old trim, insert the replacement, mask the roof and windows and spray it, what could go wrong I wonder, rain??

Hail?  :scared:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94019 on: July 09, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »

You found a bargain then, new ones are double that price normally.

Yes, it came with all the bits, and they were not rattling loose in the case...

Yeah, but I have had mine now for about 3 years.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94020 on: July 09, 2021, 01:53:43 pm »

Shut up..., off to get some low tac masking tape now, fingers crossed I get it done today, otherwise I risk having a blue car with a green roof trim on it  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94021 on: July 09, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »
<SHIP>

On a more TEA note: Tempted to buy this just cos it looks cool. Absolutely no use for it: https://www.ebay.de/itm/124803818243

McBryce.

That's not a cool looking transformer, THIS is a cool looking transformer
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324243982868

Basically a variac core potted in amber resin. It can be used as  current transformer or a wind your own secondary unit. Intended for teching I think. I'm sorely tempted but it's a lot of funds for something that does not add functionality. (I can do it anything it can with a toroid)

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94022 on: July 09, 2021, 01:57:54 pm »

Sahara desert dust blowing over?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94023 on: July 09, 2021, 02:27:36 pm »

Na. Lightning!

(And hail :) )

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #94024 on: July 09, 2021, 02:39:58 pm »
This silly RFid / NFC copier actualy works :))
now i have a badge on my keychain while the wife at home has the original card.. (for our underground garbage containers)

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: RtBNL, mnementh, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf