Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18111173 times)

Robert763, Vince and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93900 on: July 08, 2021, 04:05:16 pm »
*FOOF*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93901 on: July 08, 2021, 04:10:39 pm »
I wake up this morning and find this.  :o Now you can mock me all you want but this is just playing dirty.  :palm: This is like waving a red cape in front of a bull. Or a tied up Ulysses hearing the call of the sirens and nearly going mad. Or the time the batshit redhead creeped into my place and I found her stretched out in her birthday suit on my bed beckoning me to join her.  >:D

What can I do? Must resist. (But not the redhead. I was weak.  :-DD). With all my will power I removed the sign, ripped it up, and binned it. And now I'm going back to bed and pretend it never happen. I need help.  :P :-DD

It was obviously the Siglent; Tektronix abhors serif fonts.  :-DD

mnem
no man can say no to the crazy-ass redhead. I think the resistance is in that part of the X-chromosome which breaks off to make a Y-chromosome.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93902 on: July 08, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
*FOOF*
The only case where you would be allowed in the chem lab would be immediately before the demolition of the building.
Wether said demolition was long planned or incidental...  >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93903 on: July 08, 2021, 04:22:37 pm »

A reminder, as if it needed making, that: "Association football is a game for gentlemen, that is played by thugs, and rugby football is a game for thugs that is played by gentlemen".

One could add the footnote that rugby league and Australian no-rules football are games for thugs played by thugs.

I recommend adopting some rules from Icelandic mud football. For example, when a player is fouled, the other player has to give him a kiss on the fouled area.

:-DD

We have an informal rule like that in Rugby Union, something to do with a good rough loofaing in the baths afterward.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:24:57 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93904 on: July 08, 2021, 04:24:03 pm »
That looks about as stable as me after two bottles of rum.  :)

[Follows link] Amazing that something that looks like that is actually stable enough it you can make it and not have the lab spontaneously disassemble in the process.

As they say, "if you enjoyed that you might also like" https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with but make sure you are sitting comfortably an not having to concentrate on Other Things.

I'm well aware of "Things I Won't Work With" and have amused myself for many an hour by reading it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93905 on: July 08, 2021, 04:26:57 pm »
*FOOF*
The only case where you would be allowed in the chem lab would be immediately before the demolition of the building.
Wether said demolition was long planned or incidental...  >:D

My enthusiasm for energetic materials and rapid redox reactions nearly got me banned from the school chem lab on more than one occasion.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93906 on: July 08, 2021, 04:27:29 pm »
From what I've read, this is one of the larger WLToys vendors in China; if you want your head to  , just noodle around this site for a while and see just how deep the rabbit-hole really goes:

https://www.wltoysrc.com/home/6371-wltoys-12427-upgrade-parts-front-gearbox-op-kit.html

It was the entire gestalt of the thing that tells me it was a head-on collision; I've done it enough times I can see the entire geometry of the front of the car in my head. What most likely happened is when it hit, the front end tried to roll up in a ball, placing both compression and torsional load right on that joint. The gearcase and front of the frame-tub has enough give that the whole thing tried to twist upward & back, which it couldn't because of the dogbone captive in that cup. Ka-toink! went that little m2 screw, as it was the smallest piece of metal in the line of all that force.

As I've run over both of my cars with the other at speed many times, I doubt that LED got knocked loose from the PCB by a simple whack from a branch; much more likely it got broke loose by the impact and then pulled off by the branches afterwards.

Good hunting!
Uh Oh...      I went here:   www.wltoysrc.com
Everything was competitively or in a few cases better priced than the other sources we have been looking at. I should have news on this shopping experiment in about a month when the slow boat arrives.

Yup. That's the homepage of the site I linked you to for the front gearbox. There is so-oh-oh-ohoho much mods and spares for these cars on there it's a bit freaky. No surprise the big guys selling the big names have such a hard time keeping a brick & mortar open and bills paid when the market for these is so cut-throat and the fun/$ ratio is so high.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:31:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93907 on: July 08, 2021, 04:34:50 pm »
I am alive. Very busy with the relocation and the 8 weeks old son (right now with digital output: 1 cry or 0 sleep). Can't wait to post you guys pics of my new lab (4x time bigger than the Deutsch one). Back to madness now. I miss you all and some sane TEA.
Congratulations, Zucca, and thanks for stopping in. Looking forward to seeing the new lab (4x!).
The stripling actually has a quad state output that varies wildly at any given time: cry, sleep, poop and pee in your face when changing his diaper.  Been there, done that and got the washcloth.
Ah, I used to strategically place a washcloth.  It seems like so long ago, but with the reminder it feels like yesterday again.

It is the parental state that appears to be binary:  Love 1, Sleep 0.
Amen.

mnem
The toughest job you'll ever love...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93908 on: July 08, 2021, 04:41:21 pm »
... for example hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane: "Hexanitro? Say what? I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio"
That looks about as stable as me after two bottles of rum.  :)   [Follows link] Amazing that something that looks like that is actually stable enough it you can make it and not have the lab spontaneously disassemble in the process.

What...? just a simple household cleaner...

mnem
...and just look at how much cleaner your street looks without all those pesky households littering the landscape!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93910 on: July 08, 2021, 05:09:06 pm »
I've no tolerance for cheating.

I've no tolerance for this kind of thing, especially during a penalty:

What kind of assholes are doing this?  :wtf: >:( :rant:
If I'll spot an idiot with a laser pointing to people, I'd make sure that he is going to eat that damned thing.

Yes, UEFA is investigating the FA, which in turn is forcing the FA to investigate this and the national anthem booing incidents.
With all the cameras in the grounds these days, it should be possible to identify the person responsible, which will mean a lifetime ban from matches and hopefully a criminal conviction.

I've had a green laser pointed at me while driving, and if I could have seen who did it, I'd have beaten the shit out of them first, then called the cops.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #93911 on: July 08, 2021, 05:12:04 pm »
A very nice book for Saskia:

https://archive.org/details/ignition_201612

:-DD

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93912 on: July 08, 2021, 05:15:13 pm »
Well I'm glad I took a nap and slept through all that soccer stuff.  ;D But I will give credit where credit is due and say congrats to the English. (Wow, that nearly choked me  :-DD)

I can't watch organized sports on TV either. But many, many years ago I was watching this game which for the first 9 innings of regulation play was a real snoozer.  The game was tied after regulation 9 innings so went into "extra" innings. But the rules for winning are slightly different. Yanks and Canadians will understand it, the rest of you just play along. This game went absolutely bizarro with one of the strangest endings ever.  :scared:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:18:17 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93913 on: July 08, 2021, 05:17:08 pm »

no man can say no to the crazy-ass redhead. I think the resistance is in that part of the X-chromosome which breaks off to make a Y-chromosome.

Nor a bare assed one.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93914 on: July 08, 2021, 05:22:19 pm »
Well I'm glad I took a nap and slept through all that soccer stuff.  ;D But I will give credit where credit is due and say congrats to the English. (Wow, that nearly choked me  :-DD)

I can't watch organized sports on TV either. But many, many years ago I was watching this game which for the first 9 innings of regulation play was a real snoozer.  The game was tied after regulation 9 innings so went into "extra" innings. But the rules for winning are slightly different. Yanks and Canadians will understand it, the rest of you just play along. This game went absolutely bizarro with one of the strangest endings ever.  :scared:

A crazy ending eh..? Did Charlie Brown actually win then?   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #93915 on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:49 pm »
That's a different game.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93916 on: July 08, 2021, 05:38:32 pm »

A crazy ending eh..? Did Charlie Brown actually win then?   :popcorn:

Good 'ole Charlie Brown was on the losing side like he always is.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93917 on: July 08, 2021, 05:42:03 pm »
Today is one of those days where I've accomplished nothing and don't feel like doing anything. But hey, I'm retired so there's always tomorrow.  ;D

But the parts for the Heath V-5 rebuild did show up as promised.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, cyclin_al

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93918 on: July 08, 2021, 05:54:30 pm »
All this sport  :palm:

This is more like it.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, ch_scr, factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93919 on: July 08, 2021, 05:54:50 pm »

OK, watched that, couldn't make any sense of it. My limited understanding of baseball is that you get three goes at trying to hit a ball and if you do you stand a chance of scoring (with a bit of chasing other men in overly tight trousers around followed apparently by hugging and kissing*), if you don't you're out. That seemed to be two men, one who can't throw and one who can't hit trying many times more than the three goes, with the "catch me if you can" ritual randomly interspersed. Confused, definitely confused. No, don't explain it to me, I suspect it would only get even weirder if you did.

In other news.

The GPSDO project is temporarily shelved while I wait for some PCBs from China (nearly here). But, I've left the early prototype powered up and running because it's more effort to turn off than not, and [Looks at PSU front panel] 170mA @ 5V isn't exactly going to make a dent in the next electricity bill. Earlier today I happened to notice it was still running and out of curiosity fired up a terminal to watch the debug output. It's been running for days and days (I really have no idea how long) and is currently holding time against UTC to better than 100ns and frequency to a few tenths of a part per billion with occasional excursions that I'm sure are noise/EMI related. I know it currently has issues on that front - hence waiting for PCBs with proper ground and power planes to enable me to make some quiet measurements and convince myself that most if not all of the remaining issues can be solved with power and ground planes and perhaps a little PSU filtering. But considering the performance with those known issues this looks to be shaping up nicely. I hope that doesn't turn out to be "famous last words" on the subject.

* Is this some variation on "Kiss Chase", a playground game from my mixed sex primary school days?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93920 on: July 08, 2021, 06:09:03 pm »

BD and others might be interested in nitrotetrazole oxides, which comes with the comment "(There is, of course, little reason to do this unless you feel that life is empty without sudden loud noises)"

The "Things I won't work with" blogs got me started on reading Max Gergel. That was an excellent outcome.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93921 on: July 08, 2021, 06:20:04 pm »
Those Japanese micro-robot wars are hilarious and impressive.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of BD by accidentally linking items on his watch list...

My maiden bid has already been overbid, unlikely I'll bid again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373642932301

A possible case of conductive black goo to solve for BD..?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255042297588

This seems a bit dear for a duff 'un:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255044700359

This hasn't got horribly expensive, yet...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144103664764

Any weightlifters live near Rugeley?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294260029961

My guess is this is not a difficult fix, I just don't have any more space in my repair queue:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224525061182

This might be worth chucking an offer at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255046178597
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93922 on: July 08, 2021, 06:42:19 pm »
Today is one of those days where I've accomplished nothing and don't feel like doing anything. But hey, I'm retired so there's always tomorrow.  ;D

But the parts for the Heath V-5 rebuild did show up as promised.   

mnem
*currently clearing off my desk*

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #93923 on: July 08, 2021, 07:03:42 pm »
I am alive.

Very busy with the relocation and the 8 weeks old son (right now with digital output: 1 cry or 0 sleep).

Can't wait to post you guys pics of my new lab (4x time bigger than the Deutsch one).

Back to madness now. I miss you all and some sane TEA.

Congratulations, Zucca, and thanks for stopping in. Looking forward to seeing the new lab (4x!).

The stripling actually has a quad state output that varies wildly at any given time: cry, sleep, poop and pee in your face when changing his diaper.  Been there, done that and got the washcloth.

Ah, I used to strategically place a washcloth.  It seems like so long ago, but with the reminder it feels like yesterday again.

It is the parental state that appears to be binary:  Love 1, Sleep 0.

I did too, after the first mishap.  He is 37 now with a new son of his own, born 1/25 or 25/1 for those across the pond.  He has been blessed as he blessed me and is now also using a strategically placed washcloth.  Pop Pop is going to have fun spoiling the grandchild and then giving him back. >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93924 on: July 08, 2021, 07:16:13 pm »
All this sentimental talk about kids... Anyone want mine?

My youngest was trying to fart on the middle one and pooped herself earlier, the oldest is currently walking around in complete black face which is apparently a facial treatment and the middle one is making noises like a Clanger.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf