Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16916584 times)

Carl_Smith and 82 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93875 on: July 08, 2021, 01:07:58 pm »
I am alive.

Very busy with the relocation and the 8 weeks old son (right now with digital output: 1 cry or 0 sleep).

Can't wait to post you guys pics of my new lab (4x time bigger than the Deutsch one).

Back to madness now. I miss you all and some sane TEA.

Congratulations, Zucca, and thanks for stopping in. Looking forward to seeing the new lab (4x!).

The stripling actually has a quad state output that varies wildly at any given time: cry, sleep, poop and pee in your face when changing his diaper.  Been there, done that and got the washcloth.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93876 on: July 08, 2021, 01:08:25 pm »
New rule after Brexit: The team which is shooting fewer goals, wins the semi-final. ;D

OK, for us ignorant and unwashed Yanks across the pond please explain what this is referring to?

I suspect the answer will give me more ammo to tease the Brits.  :P :-DD

To the soccer EM 2020.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93877 on: July 08, 2021, 01:13:31 pm »
Mere details. If you want a nitrogen based propellant then just use hydrazine.

Too few nitrogen atoms to be interestingly effective
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93878 on: July 08, 2021, 01:17:58 pm »
New rule after Brexit: The team which is shooting fewer goals, wins the semi-final. ;D

OK, for us ignorant and unwashed Yanks across the pond please explain what this is referring to?

To the soccer EM 2020.

OK, so England is ahead in Group D. So what's the issue?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93879 on: July 08, 2021, 01:29:51 pm »

To the soccer EM 2020.

You're a couple of weeks behind, there. England won their group, won the round of 16 against Germany, won the quarter final against Ukraine, and last night won the semi-final against Denmark.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93880 on: July 08, 2021, 01:54:09 pm »
There is a lot of work going on looking at running the big marine diesels on ammonia. Big issue is getting a green source of ammonia.

Sounds like you're taking the piss...   :-DD  :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93881 on: July 08, 2021, 01:58:13 pm »
Tempting ...
Agilent 34401A for 350 Euro

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/agilent-keysight-34401a-digitalmultimeter/1815203242-168-9250

Indeed. Must. Resist. Already. Got. Four. Of. Them.

This is not the DMM you are looking for.
Move on ...

Got no 34401 ... *sigh*

That "new" 34401A I linked the yesterday sold for $425 US, an absolute steal.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93882 on: July 08, 2021, 02:02:37 pm »

You're just sore at getting knocked out by England.  :P  But probably not as sore as we English were surprised.

Mind you, it would have helped the Danish if they'd figured out which goal mouth belonged to whom.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93883 on: July 08, 2021, 02:02:45 pm »

To the soccer EM 2020.

Clearly living up to prior form

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93884 on: July 08, 2021, 02:09:26 pm »
Im pleased that I only discovered that it was football on when my eldest sent me a complaining text last night that some idiot was celebrating loudly outside. I have no interest in observing competitive sports at all.

Note that I’m quite happy to be playing them but not watching them. But mostly tennis on that front :)

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93885 on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:59 pm »

In the England v Denmark Euros semi-final last night both teams scored the same number of conventional goals. Denmark decided that wasn't a high enough score so threw in an own goal for good measure.

So no real opportunities for ragging the English there. Anyway, isn't a bit dangerous to take the piss on sport where your version of "football" involves men getting dressed up in homo-erotic clothing (ultra tight trousers, hyper masculinised shoulder padding, grabbing each others butts, make up, who do you think you're kidding?) and spending most of the match standing around?  :P

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93886 on: July 08, 2021, 02:34:39 pm »
Im pleased that I only discovered that it was football on when my eldest sent me a complaining text last night that some idiot was celebrating loudly outside. I have no interest in observing competitive sports at all.

Note that I’m quite happy to be playing them but not watching them. But mostly tennis on that front :)

I've been, as usual, completely avoiding it. But even in my cloistered corner news reached me that England had beaten Germany, and after that it behoves me as a good English man to take some interest in the subsequent results, if not the actual matches themselves. My downstairs neighbours are Ukrainian, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of them since the outcome of the England v. Ukraine match the other day.  :)

Unusually for the dorky class to which I naturally belong I am, or at least was when I was younger,  quite athletic but I have never, and never will, see the point of watching other people play sport, especially when merely watching on the television rather than in person (with a special exception for a lazy afternoon spent watching cricket in person on a   the warm summer's day with a cold beer in my hand). The only thing more pointless as far as I'm concerned is watching on the television three grown men with the collective intelligence of a potato discussing a match in trite but excruciating detail after you've just seen the whole thing played out in front of you. It is galling to recently learn that the highest paid BBC presenter is, albeit to all accounts a very nice man, one of those men with the intelligence of a potato crisp.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #93887 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:37 pm »
TBH I would be tempted, but I really don't need it ...

*sigh*
Sent him a mail about preferred payment while still living thru a shitshow ...
Goneski before I got a reply regarding payment.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93888 on: July 08, 2021, 02:46:20 pm »
From what I've read, this is one of the larger WLToys vendors in China; if you want your head to  , just noodle around this site for a while and see just how deep the rabbit-hole really goes:

https://www.wltoysrc.com/home/6371-wltoys-12427-upgrade-parts-front-gearbox-op-kit.html

It was the entire gestalt of the thing that tells me it was a head-on collision; I've done it enough times I can see the entire geometry of the front of the car in my head. What most likely happened is when it hit, the front end tried to roll up in a ball, placing both compression and torsional load right on that joint. The gearcase and front of the frame-tub has enough give that the whole thing tried to twist upward & back, which it couldn't because of the dogbone captive in that cup. Ka-toink! went that little m2 screw, as it was the smallest piece of metal in the line of all that force.

As I've run over both of my cars with the other at speed many times, I doubt that LED got knocked loose from the PCB by a simple whack from a branch; much more likely it got broke loose by the impact and then pulled off by the branches afterwards.

Good hunting!

mnem
 :popcorn:

Uh Oh ....

I went here:
www.wltoysrc.com
Everything was competitively or in a few cases better priced than the other sources we have been looking at.
I should have news on this shopping experiment in about a month when the slow boat arrives.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93889 on: July 08, 2021, 02:49:49 pm »
Mere details. If you want a nitrogen based propellant then just use hydrazine.

Too few nitrogen atoms to be interestingly effective

... for example hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane: "Hexanitro? Say what? I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio"

BD and others might be interested in nitrotetrazole oxides, which comes with the comment "(There is, of course, little reason to do this unless you feel that life is empty without sudden loud noises)"

FFI:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2011/11/11/things_i_wont_work_with_hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/11/15/things_i_wont_work_with_nitrotetrazole_oxides
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93890 on: July 08, 2021, 02:54:56 pm »
Been taking a break to do something completely different today. Bought a Garmin eTrex 10, an absolute ass end GPS unit. This is because it turns out Openstreetmap actually has some mistakes on it locally. So being a good open source contributor I'm correcting them. Turns out this is quite good fun.

BD, got an interesting video for you:

sorry, only in german/austrian, but it shows how to replace the internal map with OSM maps of your choice. Size limit is 8MB...

Greetings,

Rainer

Ahha thanks for that - much appreciated! I will definitely have a go at that  :-+

Looks very interesting .... time to research if that will work for an eTrex legend (the much older blue one)!  :-+

(why does the list get bigger when I make improvements to make things easier ...  :-//)

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93891 on: July 08, 2021, 02:58:39 pm »
I am alive.

Very busy with the relocation and the 8 weeks old son (right now with digital output: 1 cry or 0 sleep).

Can't wait to post you guys pics of my new lab (4x time bigger than the Deutsch one).

Back to madness now. I miss you all and some sane TEA.

Congratulations, Zucca, and thanks for stopping in. Looking forward to seeing the new lab (4x!).

The stripling actually has a quad state output that varies wildly at any given time: cry, sleep, poop and pee in your face when changing his diaper.  Been there, done that and got the washcloth.

Ah, I used to strategically place a washcloth.  It seems like so long ago, but with the reminder it feels like yesterday again.

It is the parental state that appears to be binary:  Love 1, Sleep 0.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93892 on: July 08, 2021, 02:59:52 pm »

To the soccer EM 2020.

Clearly living up to prior form

I've no tolerance for cheating.

The penalty was a soft one, but it was one. Defenders know better than to touch a player on the ball, in the box. Yet they still do.

The Kane penalty that wasn't awarded was shameful (on the match officials, not the Danish player, he just mistimed it) and the soft one on Sterling that was given was a kind of justice.
Overall the match was very clean, just a handful of fouls between both sides.

The Danish free kick was a peach, but the foul that led to it was softer than some that didn't get awarded later on.

I felt for Kjaer, he was very unlucky; he was doing his best to prevent the ball falling to Sterling, and if he'd not got to it, Sterling would probably have scored anyway.

Sterling should have been carded for his hand to the face of Vestergaard, but I think the way Vestergaard reacted made the ref think he was acting. I mean, the guy's a foot taller and he went down like a sack of spuds. He did get his own back later on with a body check on Sterling that made me wince and chuckle simultaneously.

All in all I think it was a fair result, with the observation that the minority of England fans who booed the Danish national anthem are probably the same ones that booed the German one and boo when the players take the knee. They really should be banned from attending, but I expect no action will be taken; it's easier to do nothing.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93893 on: July 08, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »

I've no tolerance for this kind of thing, especially during a penalty:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #93894 on: July 08, 2021, 03:16:15 pm »
re futbol:

I had mandatory lunch with our CIO and my manager had told me not to mention shooting sports.
The lunch participants were talking about soccer most of the time. Not me though, I remained quiet.
Until the CIO asked me directly what I was thinking about socker. I told him that I was as much interested in soccer as in the mating rituals of the east siberian fire ant. He then asked me which sports I liked.
I told him that I found the Vendee Globe to be a reasonably interesting sporting event.
"Vendee what ?"
"Vendee Globe" "Sailing. Around Antarctica and back. 24000 nautical miles. Single handed"
"Single Handed ?!!!, but that's exhausting ???"
"Of course, otherwise I would not consider it sports ..."

and he left me alone ...

Here are some photos of those race gizmos in relatively calm waters:
https://youtu.be/O6k0vaP-KZI

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, exor, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93895 on: July 08, 2021, 03:25:47 pm »
... for example hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane: "Hexanitro? Say what? I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio"

That looks about as stable as me after two bottles of rum.  :)

[Follows link] Amazing that something that looks like that is actually stable enough it you can make it and not have the lab spontaneously disassemble in the process.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93896 on: July 08, 2021, 03:27:06 pm »

I've no tolerance for this kind of thing, especially during a penalty:

What kind of assholes are doing this?  :wtf: >:( :rant:
If I'll spot an idiot with a laser pointing to people, I'd make sure that he is going to eat that damned thing.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93897 on: July 08, 2021, 03:33:48 pm »

The penalty was a soft one, but it was one. Defenders know better than to touch a player on the ball, in the box. Yet they still do.

The Kane penalty that wasn't awarded was shameful (on the match officials, not the Danish player, he just mistimed it) and the soft one on Sterling that was given was a kind of justice.

The Danish free kick was a peach, but the foul that led to it was softer than some that didn't get awarded later on.

I felt for Kjaer, he was very unlucky; he was doing his best to prevent the ball falling to Sterling, and if he'd not got to it, Sterling would probably have scored anyway.

Sterling should have been carded for his hand to the face of Vestergaard, but I think the way Vestergaard reacted made the ref think he was acting. I mean, the guy's a foot taller and he went down like a sack of spuds. He did get his own back later on with a body check on Sterling that made me wince and chuckle simultaneously.

All in all I think it was a fair result, with the observation that the minority of England fans who booed the Danish national anthem are probably the same ones that booed the German one and boo when the players take the knee. They really should be banned from attending, but I expect no action will be taken; it's easier to do nothing.

A reminder, as if it needed making, that: "Association football is a game for gentlemen, that is played by thugs, and rugby football is a game for thugs that is played by gentlemen".

One could add the footnote that rugby league and Australian no-rules football are games for thugs played by thugs.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93898 on: July 08, 2021, 03:44:55 pm »

A reminder, as if it needed making, that: "Association football is a game for gentlemen, that is played by thugs, and rugby football is a game for thugs that is played by gentlemen".

One could add the footnote that rugby league and Australian no-rules football are games for thugs played by thugs.

I recommend adopting some rules from Icelandic mud football. For example, when a player is fouled, the other player has to give him a kiss on the fouled area.

:-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93899 on: July 08, 2021, 03:47:45 pm »
That looks about as stable as me after two bottles of rum.  :)

[Follows link] Amazing that something that looks like that is actually stable enough it you can make it and not have the lab spontaneously disassemble in the process.

As they say, "if you enjoyed that you might also like" https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with but make sure you are sitting comfortably an not having to concentrate on Other Things.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf