Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919524 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93800 on: July 07, 2021, 06:24:46 pm »

Add to that. DRL's are a requirement in Canada which puts an additional load on your precious battery resource. Although LED headlights are a big help.

Negligable.   DRLs are watts.   Traction is 10's of  kW.

At -30 to -40C those little watts, plus all the other little watts, can be a big deal.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93802 on: July 07, 2021, 06:27:16 pm »
Still thinking about that dead tek 2465 that scottrade12 has. Wonder how low he’ll go ???

Reckon if it’s a lemon i can shift the parts for 100 quid

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93803 on: July 07, 2021, 06:28:59 pm »
Still thinking about that dead tek 2465 that scottrade12 has. Wonder how low he’ll go ???

Link? Lemme take a look.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93804 on: July 07, 2021, 06:31:05 pm »

At -30 to -40C those little watts, plus all the other little watts, can be a big deal.  :scared:

LiIon Traction battery WILL freeze at -30 to -40C.     If you forget to leave the car plugged there is no chance of going anywhere.     Battery warmer in LEAF is less than 300W.  I'm not sure if that is enough heat at -40C.   

I'm not sure how much power the heater in the i3 has.     

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93805 on: July 07, 2021, 06:32:16 pm »

Had a bit of a milestone with my son last night; he got his first soldering iron burn building a new lightsaber core so his friends could play without having to switch out on the one extra "combat-ready" (made for cosplay fighting; not Walmart toy-grade) lightsaber we had.

I am either doing something very, very wrong or something very, very right with his upbringing...  :o

mnem
"Son, that's just the iron's way of saying 'DON'T TOUCH ME THERE!' "

Inform him that it won't be the last time either.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93806 on: July 07, 2021, 06:35:51 pm »

LiIon Traction battery WILL freeze at -30 to -40C.     If you forget to leave the car plugged there is no chance of going anywhere.     Battery warmer in LEAF is less than 300W.  I'm not sure if that is enough heat at -40C.   

I'm not sure how much power the heater in the i3 has.   

If you forget to plug in an all electric anytime, and a charging outlet is available,  regardless of ambient temperature you are a dumbass. 

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93807 on: July 07, 2021, 06:36:17 pm »
200MHz Siglent SDS1202X-E  is £360 from a UK siglent store.       That makes the  70MHz and 40k memory  SDS1072CNL  from China less attractive.

Forgot the link --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12034131926?iid=324441288275
or --> https://siglent.co.uk/product/siglent-sds1202x-e-super-phosphor-oscilloscope/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93808 on: July 07, 2021, 06:37:33 pm »

Link? Lemme take a look.

No panel lights and CRY says power supply naff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2465-300MHz-Analog-Oscilloscope-7-/224499664129

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93809 on: July 07, 2021, 06:49:43 pm »
Next step on the Heath V-5 VTVM rebuild. Strip down this rat's nest to bare chassis. Switches will be saved. Those 2 pink precision resistors lower right are OK. All the wiring and other passive components will be trashed.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93810 on: July 07, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »

Link? Lemme take a look.

No panel lights and CRY says power supply naff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2465-300MHz-Analog-Oscilloscope-7-/224499664129

Damn thing is filthy. Missing knobs too. He sez it powers up but no beam. Why doesn't he show a pix of that? And no pix of internals.

No beam could be PSU or HV supply but you already know that. I would talk him down more in price. $75 USD would be my limit.

Edit.....and I got parts if you need them, including an entire PSU that the last time I checked is OK. But hasn't been re-capped and has original RIFA's....OH NO.  ;D  "Ran when parked"  :P :-DD
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:01:45 pm by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93811 on: July 07, 2021, 06:57:05 pm »
Also a funny looking tektronix 2235...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154522095141
:wtf: Typical, it's kind of what I would expect from that general location if I'm honest  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93812 on: July 07, 2021, 06:59:08 pm »
I went for the middle ground, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2016MY with the 2.0 engine. Bought it used, private owner and as it was registered before April 2017 it is zero road tax and no congestion charge. No practical way to charge at home but I can charge for free at work and that covers my 22 odd mile commute on electric only. It's at it's worst on a motorway fast run, about 40 MPG but does well on A roads and in town.
Loads of space for TE even with the seats up.

Oooopsss...

:-//  :-//
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/outlander-phev
Are you trying to point out a non existent spelling mistake or don't you like Mitsubishi?

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93813 on: July 07, 2021, 07:09:54 pm »
I'm not ready to make the switch to EV or total electric although it does sound appealing. Weaning us Yanks off of cheap gas is a long and slow process and the infrastructure just isn't there (yet, it's improving) to be assured that you can find a charging station within your typical 200 mile range. The CR-V has a typical 400 mile range on a tank of fuel and I know once I get to a quarter tank just up the road will be a gas station and I don't even have to think about it. Not so with all electric.

I’m not jumping yet either. I know the state of our electricity grid here and the inability for it to scale to the requirements of sudden increase in electric vehicles with the impending end of life of a big chunk of our generation capacity. Plus there’s still retards vandalising the chargers near me  :palm:

This is still very early days especially for large political statements like ending all production of certain vehicles within ten years.

Really the only thing we can scale is less transportation and vehicle use looking forwards.

I've been having the electric vehicle debate as well since my truck is coming due for a lot of costly work or it's going up for replacement.  I don't need a big truck anymore, I can rent something when I absolutely must have the carrying capacity, so I'm going to be replacing it with something much smaller if replacement is what ends up happening.  What I suspect is going to happen is the next vehicle is going to be internal combustion and then the one after that is going to be electric.

The cost of electricity in Ontario has been a political football.  Volumes could be written about what's been done with that and how that's gotten out of hand over the last 20 years.  Then if you go look at this website https://live.gridwatch.ca/home-page.html at pretty much any time, nuclear is carrying the vast majority of the load here.  That nuclear infrastructure is not new and some of it's quite old, and eventually it's going to have to be retired but there's no plan for replacement capacity.

There are two other strikes against electric vehicles.  Contrary to popular belief, there's a lot more to Canada than the Greater Toronto Area (Huh, what? You mean there's stuff north of Bloor St?).  Here, EV infrastructure, travel distance, and winter aren't too bad.  Head north, winter is a lot more severe, the EV infrastructure is a lot more sparse, hell in many places infrastructure period is a lot more sparse, and winter can be vicious.  You can drive for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of KM in places and there'll be signs by the side of the road saying "Last gas for ...km".  Forget charging stations.  Then add reduced cold temperature battery performance in winter.  There's no EV equivalent of keeping a jerry can or two in the trunk in case of running low in the middle of nowhere that I know of.

I totally agree, the political pronouncements are optimistic.  Well intended but optimistic.

That is quite a good description of the situation.

You would think that across the river in Quebec it might change the balance in favour, since there is ample hydro-generation of electricity and cheaper electricity prices.
Even then, we are not there yet.

I have discussed this at length with a neighbour who has an electric car and a hybrid car.  He also has a gasoline vehicle and still once or twice a year rents a second gasoline vehicle.  There are still a lot of situations where EVs will not pass muster for him and his wife.
It barely works as a daily driver to get to work and stop off at daycare for the kids.  Forget about extra range for groceries.
His commute is slightly longer than mine but takes less time due to being able to cruise the whole way.  He is able to charge up at work.

My work has refused the requests of others to install charging infrastructure.  My commute also involves an inter-provincial boundary and some city traffic.

We still need a few things:
- better range (we are close to getting this one)
- more charging infrastructure at the right place, including workplaces
- better control of hybrids (I do not want the engine to automatically start and charge the batteries when I am 2km from home; I want it to wait 5 minutes until plugging in and charging at home).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93814 on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:48 pm »

Link? Lemme take a look.

Damn thing is filthy. Missing knobs too. He sez it powers up but no beam. Why doesn't he show a pix of that? And no pix of internals.

No beam could be PSU or HV supply but you already know that. I would talk him down more in price. $75 USD would be my limit.

Edit.....and I got parts if you need them, including an entire PSU that the last time I checked is OK. But hasn't been re-capped and has original RIFA's....OH NO.  ;D  "Ran when parked"  :P :-DD

75 USD on tek is about 100 GBP here with the local overhead costs so I’ll have a think.

Best case is new power supply caps. Worst case is flushing it. Still thinking.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93815 on: July 07, 2021, 07:29:56 pm »

You would think that across the river in Quebec it might change the balance in favour, since there is ample hydro-generation of electricity and cheaper electricity prices.

I have discussed this at length with a neighbour who has an electric car and a hybrid car.  He also has a gasoline vehicle and still once or twice a year rents a second gasoline vehicle.  There are still a lot of situations where EVs will not pass muster for him and his wife.
It barely works as a daily driver to get to work and stop off at daycare for the kids.  Forget about extra range for groceries.
His commute is slightly longer than mine but takes less time due to being able to cruise the whole way.  He is able to charge up at work.

My work has refused the requests of others to install charging infrastructure.  My commute also involves an inter-provincial boundary and some city traffic.

- better control of hybrids (I do not want the engine to automatically start and charge the batteries when I am 2km from home; I want it to wait 5 minutes until plugging in and charging at home).

OK, lemme ask a question and hopefully it does not get into I suspect is a political football in Canadian politics and provincial independence.

Doesn't Quebec share it's vast hydro power with the rest of the provinces like Ontario?  :-// 

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93816 on: July 07, 2021, 07:50:52 pm »
Well ePay need to fix their shit, this was the crap I got this morning attempting to bid on an ancient Racal counter I probably don't need, tried again a hour later & got the same bullshit.  :bullshit:

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93818 on: July 07, 2021, 07:58:03 pm »

OK, lemme ask a question and hopefully it does not get into I suspect is a political football in Canadian politics and provincial independence.

Doesn't Quebec share it's vast hydro power with the rest of the provinces like Ontario?  :-//

Sort of.  There are a couple of interconnects with Hydro One (formerly Ontario Hydro's transmission operation) but most of Hydro-Quebec's outside of province sales are to the northeastern states.  There's been talk of expanding that to cut down on natural gas use for electricity generation here and possibly as a replacement for some of that ageing nuclear fleet.  One article I read suggested there was feasibility to that idea because the peak demands in Ontario and Quebec are timed opposite.  Ontario's electricity peaks hard during the summer due to heavy air conditioning use but in Quebec, it's winter because they went in hard on electric heat there.  The idea was Quebec could supply Ontario in summer and vice versa in winter.

The issue is, historically, all of the provinces had their own hydro utilities with their own grids and were largely self sufficient.  Add the long transmission distances involved and the locations of the population centres and the practicality and cost considerations weren't very good when you consider, for example, how far away the nearest connection to Manitoba Hydro is with respect to the large population centres in Ontario and vice versa the load centres in Manitoba with respect to all the large generation here.

I was thinking more about EVs and there's actually a pair of strikes against them in urban areas here too.  In condo buildings, and there's no shortage of those in the Toronto area, they've made it very expensive or outright banned installing EV charge stations in their parking garages due to what too many of those would do the building's electrical systems, same with rental apartments.  In places where there's only on street parking and houses don't have driveways, cities have been difficult about allowing charging connections to be installed at the curbside.  Every so often there are stories on the news about someone "trying to do the right thing" and then finding out they can't install a charging station where they live.

Being able to install an EV charging station where you live is another star you need to be able to get into alignment to make the whole thing work as it stands now, and that may not be easy if your living quarters is something other than a house with a driveway.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93819 on: July 07, 2021, 08:06:42 pm »
I went for the middle ground, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2016MY with the 2.0 engine. Bought it used, private owner and as it was registered before April 2017 it is zero road tax and no congestion charge. No practical way to charge at home but I can charge for free at work and that covers my 22 odd mile commute on electric only. It's at it's worst on a motorway fast run, about 40 MPG but does well on A roads and in town.
Loads of space for TE even with the seats up.
No form of an electric vehicle is an option for me or for most Brits as the vast majority of people are forced to use on street parking at home and even at work sometimes as provided parking spaces have become a taxable item (at least I think they are, I know it was mooted before I retired) and electric charging stations on residential roads I cannot that ever happening, especially as I have 3 neighbours now who have between them 12 or more cars and double park. I can also see such points becoming targets for thieves stealing electric for their cars etc, being vandalised and attracting massive insurance premiums with the potential for others to receive electric shocks from. Then of course we have the other high risk factor, and that is that when we have electric vehicles and the sales of ICE vehicles are banned, we'll all be at the power worker's mercy, and they will then have the power in their hands to hold the country to ransom. A couple of days of power cuts through strike action will cripple the entire infrastructure.  >:D |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93820 on: July 07, 2021, 08:09:30 pm »
200MHz Siglent SDS1202X-E  is £360 from a UK siglent store.       That makes the  70MHz and 40k memory  SDS1072CNL  from China less attractive.
CNL were once good sellers until X and X-E models came along......haven't stocked any CNL for years as all of the X and X-E are far more capable instruments.
X-U are also gaining some market share these days and anyone needing a cheap 4ch DSO need look at one.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93821 on: July 07, 2021, 08:34:20 pm »
Diesel is nasty shit. Needs to go.
:-DD  ::)
The whole world moves on diesel so it's not going anywhere soon.

Some countries are certainly controlling its urban use while newer technology diesels come online just as they are controlling imports of any new diesel powered equipment to help reduce emissions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93822 on: July 07, 2021, 08:42:30 pm »

Some countries are certainly controlling its urban use while newer technology diesels come online just as they are controlling imports of any new diesel powered equipment to help reduce emissions.

Indeed it does. Interested to see how the next few decades play out on this front.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93823 on: July 07, 2021, 08:51:54 pm »

Maybe I was not quite clear enough with my words.  It connects the differential TO the front drive shaft.  It is actually this cup:

I assume that it is impractical to drill out the screw shaft and re-tap the cup. Otherwise, the tinker-dwagon would have suggested that?   It certainly is a frustratingly small size to work on.   I assumed for 2WD, I would have to go in and remove the loose 12T gear and its bearing.  Then on the other side, remove the front drive shaft so it is not flopping about.

Sorry; that was in part my fault. The exploded views I'd been looking at show that cup having a D-cut shaft... or maybe I got that mixed up with pics of the rear diff in my head. :palm:

Yes, it is impractical to tap/drill; those cups are usually hardened for wear resistance nearly to the point of embrittlement. While in some cases this is case-hardening that doesn't extend to that shaft area, I wouldn't dare count on it. My first line of attack would be to scribe a slot in the end of that screw stub, then apply heat and use a very small flat-bladed screwdriver to try and back it out.

Dang... you are in a bit of a pickle here. On mine, the grub-screws (0128) in the driveshafts right at the spur gear (0015) were tight as hell, and had CA rather than LokTite. Getting them off may require enough heat to damage the spur gear.

My gut reaction is... (contrary to my previous warning aboot dismantling the "CV" joints) that since they sell these parts with that joint disassembled, they've made them to be disassembled/reassembled. If so, the course of action least likely to cause more damage will be to dismantle the "CV" joint above and those in the front wheel axles.

You'll need to remove the radio electronics (they're zip-tied and held down with very sticky double-faced foam tape) and remove the top plate (this means also dismantling the front shocks from the plate to get to the screws that hold it down) from the chassis and unscrew the long screw that goes down through the steering rack slider assembly. It's more work than popping the steering rod loose from the servo or rack, but you want to avoid that as they get loose very quickly if you do pop them, even once. Then remove the spur gear cover.

Then you can take the spur gear and both driveshafts out to work on it. You'll need to work the spring retainer (0127) around the body of the ""CV" joint (0083) like a circlip; try to avoid stretching the spring as that will ruin it. There will be a thin pin (0072) that goes through the joint under that spring; press it through and then you should be able to remove the dogbone shaft (0082).

Watch out when disassembling that joint; there will be a bushing (0079) in the middle of the ball that will try to fall out and roll into the nearest HVAC register (0no0no0mygawdn0), never to be seen again. ;) Once you have the parts all baggied up for later, you can reassemble the center chassis of the car, then remove the front wheels, unscrew all 4 kingpins, then remove the front axles and dismantle those "CV" joints. Leave the front gearbox alone until you have repair parts on hand.

Actually, while you have this area all apart, I recommend you inspect the main chassis plate very carefully with a flashlight around the back of the front gearbox, servo mount and the spur gear housing. The nature of the damage I'm seeing here suggests to me that this car was run head-on at high speed into something very hard and solid like a wall or curb. You may find hidden damage that really necessitates a rebuild on a new chassis plate.  :-[

Cheers!

mnem
 :-/O

I got around to taking a closer look at this the other day.

The theory of head-on collision damage is certainly valid.  However, on inspection I saw no further signs of such damage.  The broken part is inside the chassis, so I do not understand how an impact could have been focused here.  It could be my understanding is wrong in a freak crash.

Do note that the damaged LED lights do not support a crash.  That damage was from extracting the truggy from the flower bed by pulling backwards and having the light bar caught in the plant stems.  (Didn't your papa teach you anything?  Oh wait, I am papa in this case...)

When I inspected the affected parts, I noticed first thing that the screw used does not match the parts list.  This screw that sheared has a hex cap head or a torx head.  Most likely it is a torx head.  The one in the parts list has a Phillips head.  It is too small for any tools that I have (or is that an excuse to go tool shopping for more screwdrivers again), and starting to get too small for my eyes.  Unfortunately, the field of view with the camera macro lense is a bit too shallow in the photos I took.

What can be easily seen is liberal use of CA around the screw head.  My theory, and feel free to debunk it, is the load path was changed by use of the CA glue.  With the strong glue, the load path became cup-screw-gear.  The normal load path would be directly cup-gear, and the screw is only to retain the gear in the cup.  If the screw was unable to handle the loads, since it was not intended to do so, then it sheared under torque.  It certainly looks possible when looking at the photo in the earlier post showing the broken end of the screw inside the end of the cup.

EDIT:  earlier post is this one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3599403/#msg3599403

All that aside, I still need to fix the truggy.  The cup needed is not available for sale on its own. 

However, the differential cups are available.  The needed cup is 1 to 1.2 mm longer than the differential cup, shown sliding one into the other.  Looking at the wear marks on the cup from the driveshaft dog-bone, it looks like a shorter cup should not be a problem. 

I would like to know what the tinker-dragon thinks about this as an alternate part:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32764836662.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.23.17666925MS3CKa
Is this worth trying, or did I miss something with this alternate?

The only way I can find the needed part, beside buying a whole truggy, is in an assembly like this (also comes in all black):
https://www.rc-helicopter-spare-parts-online.com/wltoys-12428-12427-12428a-12427a-12428b-12427b-12428c-12427c-rc-car-spare-parts-drive-assembly-front-green-p-30110.html
This is a website I am not familiar with (at least so far).  This assembly is a third of the price of the complete kit...

Tinker, tinker, tinker; so much for RTR (ready to race) ...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:02:27 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #93824 on: July 07, 2021, 08:56:11 pm »

Indeed it does. Interested to see how the next few decades play out on this front.

At the moment there are experimental trials in the Canadian trucking industry (our main means of transporting goods) for LNG, hydrogen and EV powerplants.
The best results achieved so far are in using cowlings and fairings to reduce the drag on the big rigs.  Although, people Canucks forget this is in addition to (not in place of) better powerplants.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf