Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16926007 times)

Vince and 139 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93700 on: July 06, 2021, 05:59:29 pm »
Bonus points if you can get it to do this:

Peter Sellers so owned that role!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93701 on: July 06, 2021, 05:59:53 pm »
Very busy with the relocation and the 8 weeks old son (right now with digital output: 1 cry or 0 sleep).

Send it back to the shop, clearly a fake. The real items have tri-state outputs: Cry, poop, sleep.

Glad to see that you're alive.

Actually they are quantum devices, and can have multiple states simultaneously. Also you missed off puking, and blowing snot bubbles (which can be quite cute).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:09:53 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93702 on: July 06, 2021, 06:07:10 pm »
I've found ECC RAM to be cheaper than non-ECC, second hand, presumably because most ECC users are businesses that want a warranted item.

Not that at all. There's a supply and demand problem thanks to Intel. Intel only support non ECC on their desktop CPUs. There is a massive surplus of ECC RAM that comes from old servers mostly. I have personally taken several terabytes of ECC RAM in a crate and tipped it in a WEEE bin before after an upgrade session. We couldn't even give it away and it costs too much time and money to sell it and deal with idiot buyers if you're a business.

Don't dump it in the WEE, thats throwing gold away literally. Sell it. I use AWA refiners, always seem to give a good price and don't mess around.
ECC is dirt cheap in the smaller sizes. I have a dual Xenon Dell workstation with 64Gb in it. Dell was free with one slow Xeon, It was flaky due to mixed RAM. I Bought a job lot of HP blades which gave 2 3GHz quad cores and full RAM (all the same batch number). I got more for the left over CPUs, RAM and PCBs as scrap than I paid for the lot on ebay.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93703 on: July 06, 2021, 06:42:27 pm »
& 20gigs ECC RAM.

££££   The RAM for these was and still is expensive.

ECC is always real money. My VmWare host has 292 gibibytes of it, but that was free, just like the server. Server was gifted to me with 64 gibs in, but that proved a bit small when the Minecraft server vm (Devuan, OpenJDK) was to expand..

I could not reasonably expect to pay the asking price, not even the 2nd hand one, for that.

Edit: Yes, I'm contradicting myself, esp. in the light of what was written in the thread after Andrew's post. The crucial, hard-to-get one is to be in the right spot at the right time, when the ECC RAM is truly sûr plus. At all other times and places, ECC commands a premium.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:48:19 pm by mansaxel »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93704 on: July 06, 2021, 06:53:13 pm »
There’s a point where I CBA on hardware now. I don’t want any in the house. It’s noisy, hot, unreliable, expensive to run and takes up a lot of space. I’ve got one docked hot desk space with a decent chair and a laptop and that’s it. Everything else can go to hell  :-DD

Edit: also importantly it takes up space which should be occupied with test gear  ???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:58:53 pm by bd139 »

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #93705 on: July 06, 2021, 07:43:20 pm »
My TEA story begins pretty much innocently...

"Hey little one... wanna be my best friend?"
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93706 on: July 06, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »
Just been doing some fine scale fibreglassing, which involves a great deal of cursing and resetting the positions of things so they cure in the correct shape.
Been fixing the stand for the PM99, which broke a bit more while I was doing it, evoking even more cursing, the USB B charging socket and extra battery pack in the LED worklight I'm making out of an emergency frogeye unit, and the brake for my 10m FATMAX tape measure.

Also took Spec and BD's advice on persisting with the polishing of a DMM screen, slight incremental improvement noted on my 869S, but some of the scratches are so deep I may just leave them, as wet-drying it down that far would I fear thin the screen to a dangerously weak state. Bored of polishing for now, but I'll leave the insulation tape masking on to remind me to have another go tomorrow.

Also found this while I was backtracking, and remembered I was going to reply but forgot:

1. Normal meters can't measure such high resistances. Someone should tell him about the conductance modes on many modern meters, which measure well into the multi-GΩ range.
/rant

Modern? My Fluke 25 has a 32.00 nS range. It might not be quite vintage yet, but it's definitely veteran (in both senses of the word), the original Final Test report is dated 7 Apr 1998 and it came covered with desert sand and the unmistakable smell of tank.

I was attempting to imply with heavy sarcasm that Mr Carlson is apparently unfamiliar with "modern" solid-state semiconductors and the products they are contained within...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #93707 on: July 06, 2021, 07:50:54 pm »
The end of the ongoing story is...

He brought his friends...

Help! I'm a TEA...  |O |O |O |O |O |O  :-DD
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93708 on: July 06, 2021, 07:52:29 pm »

Like bloody Tribbles, aren't they?

Welcome to the Enablement Corner
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, DH7DN

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93709 on: July 06, 2021, 07:54:48 pm »
Amazon Heads-up for my fellow Canucks:

https://www.amazon.ca/VinTeam-Oscilloscope-100MHz-Probes-Minigrabber/dp/B086PCW59Q

3 PC P6100 Oscilloscope Probe Kit $16.79 - Save wear and tear on your decent probes for cheap with Prime Next-Day included.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XDK827W/

10000:1 Ignition/HT Inductive pickup - $6.83 with Prime Next-Day included. Even if you don't use it for intended purpose, worth getting to tear apart and tinker on. I expect BW will be pretty low... AF to a few hundred KHz most likely. But may have other uses besides automotive. :-//

mnem
 :-/O
First you gotta watch if those P6100 are genuine YPioneer.

Ignition pickup is shit easy as even just a probe held near a spark plug with pick up the pulses ah la near field style and it's in no way demanding wrt frequency, eg 11000 rpm that I tune chainsaws to is just 183 Hz.

Any DSO with a frequency counter can do this sort of stuff for breakfast.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93710 on: July 06, 2021, 08:00:54 pm »

No help offered only encouragement.  :P
Welcome.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93711 on: July 06, 2021, 08:11:03 pm »
OK then at last here is the low down on the meter, I found it on FaceBook Marketplace. I have never really considered looking there for TEA gear but seeing as eBay is basically just full of crap these days, I thought I'd give a go. After looking through some boring old no name meters and other related crap, I searched for "Fluke" to see if that turned up anything of interest, it did but as with Ebay, the name itself automatically carries a premium price as most people are aware of their status in the test gear market. I was just about to give up when I came across this , and it was local to me, sort of begging me to make an offer on it. Knowing the brand well, I know that it is part of Flir and therefore a good make, so I made an enquiry to see if it was still for sale and if it worked OK. I made on offer below the asking price and was accepted, so made arrangements to pick it up when the guy got home from work.

One of the photos on Facebook was this which I thought showed it still had the screen protector on, which I now know was not the case. After I polished the screen following the good advice of fellow friends and members it eventually became so I started to take it apart to give you some TEA pron. While taking a rest from that I did some searching around on the web and came across an in depth review of this meter, and it also has loads of photos of the internals and features, so I provided a link to this here and so my own photos are minimal as there was no point really in re-inventing the wheel. here is the link. https://www.element14.com/community/groups/test-and-measurement/blog/2018/11/13/extech-mg302-review.

I have read the manual it seems that the meter can record upto 10,000 steps both in its own internal memory and also on a PC via its built in Blue Tooth transmitter and plug in dongle (which works very nicely by the way  :-+) That got me thinking that it must be able to disable the auto power off system, and so it proved to be so. Among the user adjustable settings there is a high and low alarm settings (still trying to work out what that is for, manual very helpful). These can turned OFF, APO can be OFF or from 10 to 30 mins, beep on a button push ON/OFF and also the backlight can be set OFF or auto switch off from between 10 and 30 seconds.

An unusual feature is the display can, depending on the function, show 3 separate reading at the same time, so when measuring say AC voltage, it can show the MAX and MIN in the 2 top smaller displays while the main display shows the current reading, thats a nice touch. It has sand filled cartridge fuses which are 1,000 volt rated and the meter is rated at CAT IV 600V and CAT III 1,000V so affords pretty good protection in an accident. It is also IP67 rated and I believe it as well, the case well sealed with labyrinth blast walls all round and a O ring to keep water out.

The seller was asking £65 and I offered £50, I have since seen 2 for sale, not working one at that for £118 each and £17 P&P from Germany and another working one from United Arab Emirates for £252 and £36 P&P, so I'm happy with my purchase, and only the basic meter has been used, the BT and software, temperature probe and croc lead are all still in their plastic bags or sealed etc.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:14:24 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93712 on: July 06, 2021, 08:23:04 pm »
Here's another @Spec and factory post   :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174825765827

I'm sure a day trip to Mablethorpe to pick it up would be pleasant. Only downside is it doesn't have the correct probes, but you can just wrap some insulation tape around the BNC shells...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93713 on: July 06, 2021, 08:52:41 pm »

And so it begins. Welcome to our nuthouse.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93714 on: July 06, 2021, 09:17:04 pm »
Checked all the precision 1% resistors in the divider circuit. All are in spec except a 9.9M reading 10.31M. That's pretty far out. Going to leave it for now and see how calibration goes after assembly but I suspect it will have to be changed.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93715 on: July 06, 2021, 09:18:18 pm »
Here's another @Spec and factory post   :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174825765827

I'm sure a day trip to Mablethorpe to pick it up would be pleasant. Only downside is it doesn't have the correct probes, but you can just wrap some insulation tape around the BNC shells...   :popcorn:

It would need to be around its current price to make the journey to collect worthwhile and viable, its approx 360 miles round trip, about 7 to 8 hours driving assuming normal traffic conditions and around £60 for fuel. The probes don't worry me anyway, I have some insulated probes already. I expect the 2 bidders on it already are going closer than I am so would be likely to push that price upwards a bit more yet. I have it on watch and see what happens with it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93716 on: July 06, 2021, 09:22:38 pm »
Checked all the precision 1% resistors in the divider circuit. All are in spec except a 9.9M reading 10.31M. That's pretty far out. Going to leave it for now and see how calibration goes after assembly but I suspect it will have to be changed.

If recall this correctly, that is the resistor that is used as both the sacrificial lamb and is also the one that they use (assuming its a factory build) as the final tweaking resistor in that divider circuit. If I'm right, then that might well be the correct value after all.

So I take it then that British engineering is OK?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93717 on: July 06, 2021, 09:25:39 pm »
The end of the ongoing story is...      He brought his friends...

It's a start.  >:D   Welcome to the nuthouse. Here, have a taco...

mnem
That's not a flock... hell, it's barely a gaggle...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:27:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93718 on: July 06, 2021, 09:28:39 pm »

If recall this correctly, that is the resistor that is used as both the sacrificial lamb and is also the one that they use (assuming its a factory build) as the final tweaking resistor in that divider circuit. If I'm right, then that might well be the correct value after all.

So I take it then that British engineering is OK?

No the "sacrificial lamb" is the 9.9 OHM resistor in the resistance circuit. That bad boy takes the heat and burns up if some yo-yo tries to check resistance with power on. And that resistor checks OK.

So British engineering is still under scrutiny.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93719 on: July 06, 2021, 09:37:12 pm »

I've never had a Tek show up at my door like a stray cat looking for a meal. I've always had to go out and actively hunt them down and sometimes put myself at great peril. Which explains my current medical condition.   |O :o ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #93720 on: July 06, 2021, 10:11:23 pm »

I've never had a Tek show up at my door like a stray cat looking for a meal. I've always had to go out and actively hunt them down and sometimes put myself at great peril. Which explains my current medical condition.   |O :o ;D

Hunter-Gatherer... aren't we meant to be? Getting eaten by a lioness (or a dragon) isn't too far off from reality when you're on a dumpster dive or a Test Equipment Safari! I guess Mother Nature didn't had Teks on her "scope" (pun intended) :-DD

The end of the ongoing story is...      He brought his friends...

It's a start.  >:D   Welcome to the nuthouse. Here, have a taco...

mnem
That's not a flock... hell, it's barely a gaggle...

Thanks alot  :-DD How do you deal with food shortage when you spend all of your money on Test Equipment? Are there any superfoods in order to squeeze few more dollars for a neat Oscilloscope?  ;D
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93721 on: July 06, 2021, 10:19:25 pm »
Bread, jam (jello for the Americans), ramen, baked beans.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93722 on: July 06, 2021, 10:49:56 pm »
Bread, jam (jello for the Americans), ramen, baked beans.

And TEA, of course. :)

@DH7DN: welcome to our nice and cozy place of TE addicted nuts.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93723 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:25 pm »
One also has to budget for the energy drinks required for long TEA road trips where blue V combined with chocolate works for me.  :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(drink)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93724 on: July 06, 2021, 11:12:24 pm »
It would need to be around its current price to make the journey to collect worthwhile and viable, its approx 360 miles round trip, about 7 to 8 hours driving assuming normal traffic conditions and around £60 for fuel. The probes don't worry me anyway, I have some insulated probes already. I expect the 2 bidders on it already are going closer than I am so would be likely to push that price upwards a bit more yet. I have it on watch and see what happens with it.

If I want to dissuade myself, my rule of thumb is 25p/mile for fuel and depreciation.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf