Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16874037 times)

themadhippy, Vgkid and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93400 on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:48 pm »
I'd kill for some shorted tants at the moment  :-\

I haven't got any tants in the house at the moment, otherwise I'd be getting them out, putting little summer shorts on them and photographing them. I know I could photoshop it all, but it's not the same.  :)

That image stuck in my head so out came the ipad...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93401 on: July 01, 2021, 09:21:32 pm »
Arrived at hospital at 0545 hours. At 0730 hours was in for the surgery. Didn't fully wake up until 1130 hours. Currently 1430 hours and I'm home. I had at least a 3 or 4 inch cut and surprisingly as long as I'm sitting and even standing pain is minimal or just uncomfortable. It's getting up that hurts like hell. Not taking any pain meds either and I think I'm going to forgo them unless I really need it.

It's good to finally have that taken care of and hopefully I heal fast.

That cup of coffee tasted so damn good after not having anything since last night.  :-+

Good to have you back home.  :-+   If you weren't right there south of the border, I dunno what I'd do with all these soggy ol' boots I've been stockpiling; I could lob them up at 25CPS or cyclin_al, but knowing them, they'd just put 'em by the fireplace and wear 'em come the fall...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93402 on: July 01, 2021, 09:27:39 pm »
Robert did what with who for how many jellybeans...?!?    :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

There were no jellybeans but apparently there was some hot buttered toast and a nurse..........

Mmmm... breakfast...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93403 on: July 01, 2021, 10:03:10 pm »
Robert did what with who for how many jellybeans...?!?    :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

There were no jellybeans but apparently there was some hot buttered toast and a nurse..........

Mmmm... breakfast...  >:D

mnem

went thru a lot of stages processsing this one:

1.  that is just wrong.

2.  but wait,  there is bacon!

3.  and look at the butter on those pancakes......yeah maybe i would?

4   oh shit......what if that is actually mnem?  aggggggghhhhhhh!

5.  how much bourbon is in the house?   agggggghhhhhhh!

6  wait.....the cheeks are not covered in a mat of thick fur.  whew!

7.  mmmmmm. bacon.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93404 on: July 01, 2021, 10:10:44 pm »
Arrived at hospital at 0545 hours. At 0730 hours was in for the surgery. Didn't fully wake up until 1130 hours. Currently 1430 hours and I'm home. I had at least a 3 or 4 inch cut and surprisingly as long as I'm sitting and even standing pain is minimal or just uncomfortable. It's getting up that hurts like hell. Not taking any pain meds either and I think I'm going to forgo them unless I really need it.

That cup of coffee tasted so damn good after not having anything since last night.  :-+
Don't be try to be a fucking hero !
Pop the pills and at least be comfortable.
Actually, if he refrains from taking painkillers during the day, the slight pain he says he is experiencing will serve as a reminder to him not to do anything that is going to put a strain on him, so that might just be a good thing, because we all know he can be stubborn at times and might just try something silly. But I really recommend him to have painkillers at night to assist in getting a good night's sleep, as that is when the body does its healing most.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93405 on: July 01, 2021, 10:20:44 pm »
I'd kill for some shorted tants at the moment  :-\

I haven't got any tants in the house at the moment, otherwise I'd be getting them out, putting little summer shorts on them and photographing them. I know I could photoshop it all, but it's not the same.  :)
   That image stuck in my head so out came the ipad...

Hmmm.... needs more FU-itude... he is your Tanty, after all...  :-DD

mnem
*crack'd*

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93406 on: July 01, 2021, 10:28:09 pm »
Hahahaha perfect  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93407 on: July 01, 2021, 10:31:19 pm »

Actually, if he refrains from taking painkillers during the day, the slight pain he says he is experiencing will serve as a reminder to him not to do anything that is going to put a strain on him, so that might just be a good thing, because we all know he can be stubborn at times and might just try something silly. But I really recommend him to have painkillers at night to assist in getting a good night's sleep, as that is when the body does its healing most.

Seriously, speaking as someone who's been managing pain for decades, and who's had some pretty bad cuts & lacerations (more than a few of which probably should have seen some stitches) as a result of not watching out as well as I should have with heavy machinery... this is definitely the path to quickest actual healing.

Go heavy on anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen to address the cause of the pain, as light as you can bear on opiates that mask the pain or make your consciousness detached from the pain and dull your wits.

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93408 on: July 01, 2021, 11:24:04 pm »

Seriously, speaking as someone who's been managing pain for decades, and who's had some pretty bad cuts & lacerations (more than a few of which probably should have seen some stitches) as a result of not watching out as well as I should have with heavy machinery... this is definitely the path to quickest actual healing.

Go heavy on anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen to address the cause of the pain, as light as you can bear on opiates that mask the pain or make your consciousness detached from the pain and dull your wits.

mnem
 :-+

So far, on a scale of 1 -10 my discomfort when sitting or standing is no more than 3 at most. The occasional stab at 7 when getting out of a chair but quickly fades. Agreed the quickest way to healing is avoid the drugs as much as possible and based upon what I'm experiencing right now are completely unnecessary. And yes, with no drugs the little pain I experience is the reminder that I need to take it easy and let the body heal.     
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:28:14 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93409 on: July 01, 2021, 11:40:51 pm »
Just stumbled on to this. Good old Roger, never shies away from speaking his mind. I gotta give him credit for that. And I think he's right in telling Zuckerberg to fuck off.

At least he calls Mark a "little prick" because you, Mr Waters, can be the biggest prick on the planet.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93410 on: July 02, 2021, 12:22:31 am »
And back on TEA and keeping it "light". Tomorrow's project. Calibration check of this 8050A. Letting it cook and stabilize overnight, along with the 3456A.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93411 on: July 02, 2021, 12:52:21 am »
Finally I managed to get my first COVID shot today. Organized by the company, so no waiting and no mask. Phew. Arm hurting only very slightly - like flu shot.

Did spend the remainder of the day in the lab measuring assorted RF parts on the VNA. Then a PDR on the mechanical design of the next generation product. Now THAT left me feeling unwell. I have a lot of work before me which might be called electromechanical diplomacy. I have to convince them now or I have to wait for them failing IP and EMC testing. Ow.
Then had some beers with my ex-US army colleague and did some toolpr0n show for her. I wonder whether this was a good idea, as she already goes 'aaaah Belzer' all over.

Still waiting eagerly for my full-risk, private buy of a Keithley 2400. Fingers crossed and all squirrely.

Otherwise too much work and shitty weather. Attendance over the next days will still be rather sporadic.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93412 on: July 02, 2021, 01:12:05 am »
Looked through the Scottrade12 offers on ebay. Got stuck for some hours just looking those companies up.

That Metrix GX5000-MoD pulse generator at MJTRONIX looks nice, although.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114681080274?hash=item1ab38669d2:g:6qIAAOSwXIpgJnBF

Also ready-made semi-professional 4-channel 10MHz distribution amplifiers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114794338302?hash=item1aba4697fe:g:qEAAAOSwJEpgkpvo
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:21:32 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93413 on: July 02, 2021, 02:01:57 am »
Always getting  :horse: on Discord for not having a working Mic so prior to delivering a new scope to a large audio crowd some horse trading was arranged and access to their E-Waste room was approved.  :D

Some fixing first might be required however but still quite pleased with the score.
Surely I can get one of the Mic I/O's working.  :-//
Now to look for manuals etc  :-/O
Found in a jiffy:
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/product_documents/notepadusermanual_v-1-0-pdf

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:06:01 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93414 on: July 02, 2021, 02:04:11 am »
Not invented.  It's real.  There are a few pictures around.

The HP badge goes where the two holes to the left of the model number are.

I remember when EH Holdens first came out, first with the 149 cu in motor, then later with 179 cu in.
The "yahoos" used to prise the "179" badge off for souvenirs, belt buckles, or whatever, so a lot of cars drove around with two holes on the boot with a similar spacing to Cubdriver's HP ones.

Other silly people did an "instant upgrade" by drilling two holes in the appropriate position! ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:07:14 am by vk6zgo »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93415 on: July 02, 2021, 02:17:12 am »
Looked through the Scottrade12 offers on ebay. Got stuck for some hours just looking those companies up.

Also ready-made professional 4-channel 10MHz distribution amplifiers.

Watching the current edition Mailbag over a coffee and this distribution amp project was here too.  https://olegkutkov.me/2021/04/10/1pps-square-clock-8-channel-distribution-amplifier/

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, syau, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93416 on: July 02, 2021, 03:47:55 am »
   Always getting  :horse: on Discord for not having a working Mic so prior to delivering a new scope to a large audio crowd some horse trading was arranged and access to their E-Waste room was approved.  :D

Some fixing first might be required however but still quite pleased with the score. Surely I can get one of the Mic I/O's working.  :-// Now to look for manuals etc  :-/O
Found in a jiffy: https://www.soundcraft.com/en/product_documents/notepadusermanual_v-1-0-pdf

LOL... that's a wee bit overkill for Discord, but I like it.  :-+

Honestly, what seems to work best on my side is just any relatively recent name brand gaming headset. I've been using Logitech, Plantronics and SteelSeries recently... all a few years old bought for cheap... pretty much interchangeably. All are $30-50 MSRP headsets, so should be available for much less street price. :-//  I prefer models with a boom mic and a mic mute; I dumped the desktop mic ages ago, got tired of tripping over the damned thing on my desk when I was working.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:51:47 am by mnementh »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93417 on: July 02, 2021, 04:25:23 am »

Some fixing first might be required however but still quite pleased with the score. Surely I can get one of the Mic I/O's working.  :-// Now to look for manuals etc  :-/O
Found in a jiffy: https://www.soundcraft.com/en/product_documents/notepadusermanual_v-1-0-pdf

LOL... that's a wee bit overkill for Discord, but I like it.  :-+

Honestly, what seems to work best on my side is just any relatively recent name brand gaming headset. I've been using Logitech, Plantronics and SteelSeries recently... all a few years old bought for cheap... pretty much interchangeably. All are $30-50 MSRP headsets, so should be available for much less street price. :-//  I prefer models with a boom mic and a mic mute; I dumped the desktop mic ages ago, got tired of tripping over the damned thing on my desk when I was working.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
Big time overkill for sure if I can make it work.  :-//
Seems to have a short on the 18V DC power barrel jack  :-BROKE :bullshit: and all apart now so some pics of its guts later.
But not a tant in sight !  :-//

Time for some Gurgling to see what problems these things give.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93418 on: July 02, 2021, 04:43:11 am »

Seems to have a short on the 18V DC power barrel jack  :-BROKE :bullshit: and all apart now so some pics of its guts later.

The analog side in those is pretty simple; you have a PSU that does +/- 17ish volts and a +48V one, with the same reference. The dual of course to run audio, and the +48 to phantom supply. The inputs usually are first a pair of discretes and then its opamp time for buffers and filters. Most of the time pretty simple, but it's the multiplication of things that make them a challenge.

The digital side though. Much more convoluted. My guess is that if you can sort the power supply part out it'll either work (mostly) or be a
total loss.

I've got a much larger Soundcraft, a 200 Delta 24 input modular job, in my sights. Flight cased, with 2 PSUs, and a small 8 input one as spares unit. Proper enheavyment.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #93419 on: July 02, 2021, 04:44:33 am »
woohoo, been looking for one for a while, got one with original HP silicon leads to boot. Took a month to get here, but...   :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, mansaxel, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93420 on: July 02, 2021, 05:02:33 am »

The analog side in those is pretty simple; you have a PSU that does +/- 17ish volts and a +48V one, with the same reference. The dual of course to run audio, and the +48 to phantom supply. The inputs usually are first a pair of discretes and then its opamp time for buffers and filters. Most of the time pretty simple, but it's the multiplication of things that make them a challenge.

The digital side though. Much more convoluted. My guess is that if you can sort the power supply part out it'll either work (mostly) or be a total loss.

I've got a much larger Soundcraft, a 200 Delta 24 input modular job, in my sights. Flight cased, with 2 PSUs, and a small 8 input one as spares unit. Proper enheavyment.
Nice. They had some cool sound mixing gear at this place and one was a large as a piano.  :o

This Notepad 12FX seems to have 4 onboard convertors, no doubt +15, 48V phantom and the CPU supply yet none of them are marked.  >:(
CPU is on a small daughter board on the backside of the 2 layer main PCB.

Just looking, studying and trying to absorb it all so far.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93421 on: July 02, 2021, 05:36:09 am »
woohoo, been looking for one for a while, got one with original HP silicon leads to boot. Took a month to get here, but...   :-DMM

Congratulations!

I've got its bigger brother, the 974a, which was an enabled move while in here. I really like it; together with my MetraHit 25 there are few things outside voltnuttery it can't handle.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93422 on: July 02, 2021, 07:08:09 am »

Uggghhh.... been trying to get to sleep for hours... taken a sleeping pill twice.  |O

Right now setting my printer on a new job as I have nothing better to cudgel my mind with...

mnem
 :o

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93423 on: July 02, 2021, 07:12:27 am »
You are not alone. Being knocked out yesterday has totally screwed up my ability to sleep tonight. Been wide awake all night. But I figure sometime around dawn I'll probably crash. |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93424 on: July 02, 2021, 07:14:06 am »

Also ready-made professional 4-channel 10MHz distribution amplifiers.

I would not call that a professional distribution amplifier. It's his own design.  thought it odd thet while the silkscreen indicates +5V & -5V and ther are 3 power terminals there are only two power wires connected in the photos. Then I read the descripton which says "PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INPUT SIGNAL NEED TO BE FROM A SEPARATE POWER SUPPLY.  THE DISTRIBUTION AMP AND THE OSCILLATOR MUST BE POWERED FROM 2 DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY." Not what you want to have to do. Clearly a design issue of some sort. Also that seller breaks a lot of TE.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf