Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16897683 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93375 on: July 01, 2021, 05:16:24 pm »
This page's 'numbersake' arrived in rather rough shape, but is in the queue for a makeover one of these years.

(It's gonna take some doin' to clean this one up.)

-Pat

I really hope for you that the blurred digits are due to dirt on the glass or bad photography, otherwise you'll need to source new nixies.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #93376 on: July 01, 2021, 05:40:24 pm »
This page's 'numbersake' arrived in rather rough shape, but is in the queue for a makeover one of these years.

(It's gonna take some doin' to clean this one up.)

-Pat

I really hope for you that the blurred digits are due to dirt on the glass or bad photography, otherwise you'll need to source new nixies.

McBryce.

The exposure in the photo isn't great as it's a quick snap with an iPhone (as are the ones below), but the filter is in pretty rough shape.  That said, there looks to be some cathode poisoning on several of the digits (especially the 5 in the MSD position).  It needs a thorough going-over, as the unit definitely doesn't work - that MSD will sometimes switch to display a 3, but then quickly goes back to the 5, so I suspect there are some issues with that decade's circuitry.  I'll try rejuvenating the bad ones with a slightly higher drive current to see if it helps.

Article on cathode poisoning: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/different/cathode%20poisoning/cathode-poisoning.htm

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93377 on: July 01, 2021, 05:41:55 pm »
am 97% sure that none of you knuckleheads ladies and gentlemen have a piece of TE that matches this page.

the 3% uncertainty is because of cub. that guy just might have one, if he can find it.

And is that a 241A push button oss-q-lator there next to it?  There's one of those here, too - one of the binding posts got snapped off in transit due to poor packing by an incompetent evilbayer.

-Pat

Somehow I picked the same oscillator on Sunday when I took the pictures of them.  :-+
Never noticed before, but the 3734A made in Bedford have two plain knobs and the later ones from South Queensferry have the skirted knobs. Looking at my archived pictures I have seen just over a dozen 3734A sold & only three 3735A.

Has anyone else added the 10 second timebase option to the 3734A, or am I the only one?
All that is needed is another 5212A-65C divider board, may have to fit this in the middle if it's a later REV "B" board as I found, no other modifications are required as the necessary wiring is already in place.

Back on the HP 3734As The design team must have annoyed Mr Clement by putting ventillation holes all over his standard "clemant" case design (later called System I).

The ventilation holes appeared around the same time that the RIFAs did. I reckon that's not a coincidence!

There are lots of Clement cases with holes added, including the 120B in that article on the hp memory website and a full rack width 180A I have just acquired. They are kind of needed as they don't have cooling fans fitted, the down side is dust & other things such as component lead ends can find their way in.  |O

David
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 05:43:39 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93378 on: July 01, 2021, 05:52:08 pm »
My modular 5000 series scope arrived today. Badly, badly packed. Frame twisted. Fucking fuckers. I've contacted the intermediate clearing house who are responsible for the "packing" (single wall box with scope plonked into, some wrapping paper to one side. )

Someone will burn for this.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93379 on: July 01, 2021, 06:04:43 pm »

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93380 on: July 01, 2021, 06:30:38 pm »
am 97% sure that none of you knuckleheads ladies and gentlemen have a piece of TE that matches this page.

the 3% uncertainty is because of cub. that guy just might have one, if he can find it.

And is that a 241A push button oss-q-lator there next to it?  There's one of those here, too - one of the binding posts got snapped off in transit due to poor packing by an incompetent evilbayer.

-Pat

Somehow I picked the same oscillator on Sunday when I took the pictures of them.  :-+
Never noticed before, but the 3734A made in Bedford have two plain knobs and the later ones from South Queensferry have the skirted knobs. Looking at my archived pictures I have seen just over a dozen 3734A sold & only three 3735A.

Has anyone else added the 10 second timebase option to the 3734A, or am I the only one?
All that is needed is another 5212A-65C divider board, may have to fit this in the middle if it's a later REV "B" board as I found, no other modifications are required as the necessary wiring is already in place.

Back on the HP 3734As The design team must have annoyed Mr Clement by putting ventillation holes all over his standard "clemant" case design (later called System I).

The ventilation holes appeared around the same time that the RIFAs did. I reckon that's not a coincidence!

There are lots of Clement cases with holes added, including the 120B in that article on the hp memory website and a full rack width 180A I have just acquired. They are kind of needed as they don't have cooling fans fitted, the down side is dust & other things such as component lead ends can find their way in.  |O

David

I just checked - to my pleasant surprise, mine appears to have it from the factory - all six boards are present on the slide-out sub chassis.

That little box is pretty fully stuffed, and is surprisingly heavy for its size.

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93381 on: July 01, 2021, 06:33:15 pm »
My modular 5000 series scope arrived today. Badly, badly packed. Frame twisted. Fucking fuckers. I've contacted the intermediate clearing house who are responsible for the "packing" (single wall box with scope plonked into, some wrapping paper to one side. )

So does that mean it was "packed" by someone who should know better?   :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:  These idiots should be hung by their heels.

-Pat

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93382 on: July 01, 2021, 06:34:52 pm »
Arrived at hospital at 0545 hours. At 0730 hours was in for the surgery. Didn't fully wake up until 1130 hours. Currently 1430 hours and I'm home. I had at least a 3 or 4 inch cut and surprisingly as long as I'm sitting and even standing pain is minimal or just uncomfortable. It's getting up that hurts like hell. Not taking any pain meds either and I think I'm going to forgo them unless I really need it.

It's good to finally have that taken care of and hopefully I heal fast.

That cup of coffee tasted so damn good after not having anything since last night.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93383 on: July 01, 2021, 06:49:16 pm »

-Pat

David

I just checked - to my pleasant surprise, mine appears to have it from the factory - all six boards are present on the slide-out sub chassis.

That little box is pretty fully stuffed, and is surprisingly heavy for its size.

-Pat

Not so sure that left the factory with five REV A boards & one REV B board (horizontal row of transistors).  :-\

David

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93384 on: July 01, 2021, 07:04:30 pm »
Not so sure that left the factory with five REV A boards & one REV B board (horizontal row of transistors).  :-\

David

Good point - I hadn't noticed that.  That would also explain why there's no indication of it having option 01 on the rear panel, too.

-Pat

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93385 on: July 01, 2021, 07:06:51 pm »
Robert did what with who for how many jellybeans...?!?    :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

There were no jellybeans but apparently there was some hot buttered toast and a nurse..........

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93386 on: July 01, 2021, 07:11:55 pm »
Arrived at hospital at 0545 hours. At 0730 hours was in for the surgery. Didn't fully wake up until 1130 hours. Currently 1430 hours and I'm home. I had at least a 3 or 4 inch cut and surprisingly as long as I'm sitting and even standing pain is minimal or just uncomfortable. It's getting up that hurts like hell. Not taking any pain meds either and I think I'm going to forgo them unless I really need it.

That cup of coffee tasted so damn good after not having anything since last night.  :-+

Great to hear all went well. Make sure you rest up and leave those boat anchors alone for a bit. Don't want to see any of this!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #93387 on: July 01, 2021, 07:29:25 pm »

So does that mean it was "packed" by someone who should know better?   :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:  These idiots should be hung by their heels.

-Pat

I've bought through this intermediate before. They're not great at packaging; once got a microphone in a Jiffy bag. It survived, though, being a Sennheiser dynamic mike comes with a certain physical resiliency that Mexico-built Shure can barely dream of. And, the Sennheiser sounds OK, which the Shures fail miserably at. Anyway, I've written an email to them, and am expecting them to react tomorrow, or there's going to be Consequences.

There's some progress, though. The scope does turn on without blowing any fuses, but there's no life in the CRT. Looking in the manual (in the golden age of TE there was only one manual, and it was for service and operations.) the -30V rail is responsible for the usual reference duty -- typical Tek style. It sits at -0.06V. With scope off, it reads less than 1 Ω between rail and ground.  There are at least 2 tant beads in the picture. I've got me work cut out, I guess.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93388 on: July 01, 2021, 07:39:44 pm »
I'd kill for some shorted tants at the moment  :-\

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93389 on: July 01, 2021, 07:40:03 pm »

Great to hear all went well. Make sure you rest up and leave those boat anchors alone for a bit. Don't want to see any of this!  :-DD

No argument with that. I do not want to go through this again. The Type 547 will sit which will give me time to catch up on minor stuff.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93390 on: July 01, 2021, 07:51:06 pm »
Received a lot of 3 scope probes today: all Tek, a P6053B, a P6065, and a P6075.

They are not intended for use with my TDS420A, I know, but the price was too good to pass up. £17, for all 3, shipped.

@BD139, I can send a care pack of salvaged tants for you to abuse, if you wish...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93391 on: July 01, 2021, 08:01:43 pm »
hey factory.....thanks man!

it never occured to me that my 3734 did not have the 10 sec gate option.  in fact never noticed that the switch position is labeled "opt".

fortunately that big box of hp nixie counter parts that came from the military depot cal lab has a boatload of decade dividers.

it is now fully equipped.

if anyone needs one (or a handful) let me know.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93392 on: July 01, 2021, 08:10:10 pm »
@mansaxel, these people should know better than that, hope you get a full refund from them.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93393 on: July 01, 2021, 08:11:00 pm »
@BD139, I can send a care pack of salvaged tants for you to abuse, if you wish...[/color][/size][/b]

I've got tants. After stuff with duff ones in it  :(

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93394 on: July 01, 2021, 08:16:30 pm »

I haven't got any tants in the house at the moment, otherwise I'd be getting them out, putting little summer shorts on them and photographing them. I know I could photoshop it all, but it's not the same.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #93395 on: July 01, 2021, 08:25:26 pm »
@mansaxel, these people should know better than that, hope you get a full refund from them.

Yes, that's my take on this. I'm requesting a full refund, and then, if they bother, they can send me a prepaid return label. Or I get to make BD envious by swapping tants and, at the same time, get to annoy Med by not swapping all the 'lytes out, Gatling style.

The 5440 series is a bit of a strange animal, though. There were (and probably are in an US Army depot somewhere) rebuild kits for these chassis enabling conversion into side-by-side 19" rack layout from the vertical setup I've got. I'd love to have one, a 19" scope is much more useful to me.  Anyway, this might mean that there are a bunch of mechanical compromises made that make it stand up less well to reshipping gorillas. I guess.

Also, system has been found to be buggy.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93396 on: July 01, 2021, 08:35:51 pm »
@BD139, I can send a care pack of salvaged tants for you to abuse, if you wish...[/color][/size][/b]

I've got tants. After stuff with duff ones in it  :(

If you want something to play with I've loads of crap useful stuff you can have.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93397 on: July 01, 2021, 08:46:36 pm »

Don't be try to be a fucking hero !
Pop the pills and at least be comfortable.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93398 on: July 01, 2021, 08:55:48 pm »
Not taking any pain meds either and I think I'm going to forgo them unless I really need it.

That's a delicate balance.

IMHO there are two benefits to painkillers: getting a nights sleep, and not causing damage by muscles flinching.

Having said that, I don't remember needing anything significant (e.g. tramodol).

I suspect the problem will be your making sure you don't cause damage by doing too Too Much Too Soon
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93399 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:58 pm »

How much are you prepared to pay?

If you want them in something, is rattling around OK or do you require soldered in?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:03:31 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf