Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16904242 times)

factory, Vince and 83 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93325 on: July 01, 2021, 03:44:36 am »
am 97% sure that none of you knuckleheads ladies and gentlemen have a piece of TE that matches this page.

the 3% uncertainty is because of cub. that guy just might have one, if he can find it.

LOL - fortunately, I *CAN* find a picture.   :-DD

It was flakey when I got it, and I needed a manual.  I think I have since gotten the manual, but now don't know where it (the manual) is.  The counter is on a shelf downstairs.  I need to bring the two together...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, nixiefreqq, factory, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93326 on: July 01, 2021, 03:50:55 am »
am 97% sure that none of you knuckleheads ladies and gentlemen have a piece of TE that matches this page.

the 3% uncertainty is because of cub. that guy just might have one, if he can find it.

And is that a 241A push button oss-q-lator there next to it?  There's one of those here, too - one of the binding posts got snapped off in transit due to poor packing by an incompetent evilbayer.

-Pat

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93327 on: July 01, 2021, 04:01:12 am »
Well stop cursing slightly more than 50% of us British voters, it was something like 45% of the voters voted for this shower of idiots we have in power. Its because we have so many political parties in this country that split the other votes so many ways that the Conservatives managed to get a majority, we need a electoral reform and we need it fast.

The US had to learn gerrymandering from somewhere, right?

"many political parties" is not a general problem; it just plays bad with the notion of "winner takes all" district. We have, since the introduction of crazy religious people and fascists in our parliament, the Riksdagen, 8 political parties. No party has gotten over 45% of the votes for a long time. Coalition is the norm. The representation is proportional, so, in theory, as long as your party has more than 4% of the votes nationwide, you will get a corresponding number of seats.

On the other hand, the Oracle (shudder) stored procedure that calculates the averaging-out model which allocates the last few seats in Riksdagen is, reportedly, a very convoluted piece of PL/SQL. Not many are said to comprehend it. I've never seen it, but have talked to people who have. It is written as an implementation of the law, but where is the transitional competence that understands constitutional law and database theory and practice? (This is a central tallying function; not electronic voting, something I together with every computer security professional I've heard, thoroughly dislike, and which we do not have. Every vote is a piece of paper.)

By the way, we're in a constitutional crisis as of last Monday, since the PM lost a confidence vote over rent regulation. Feels a bit like Italy.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93328 on: July 01, 2021, 05:16:04 am »
Well stop cursing slightly more than 50% of us British voters, it was something like 45% of the voters voted for this shower of idiots we have in power. Its because we have so many political parties in this country that split the other votes so many ways that the Conservatives managed to get a majority, we need a electoral reform and we need it fast.

The US had to learn gerrymandering from somewhere, right?

"many political parties" is not a general problem; it just plays bad with the notion of "winner takes all" district. We have, since the introduction of crazy religious people and fascists in our parliament, the Riksdagen, 8 political parties. No party has gotten over 45% of the votes for a long time. Coalition is the norm. The representation is proportional, so, in theory, as long as your party has more than 4% of the votes nationwide, you will get a corresponding number of seats.

On the other hand, the Oracle (shudder) stored procedure that calculates the averaging-out model which allocates the last few seats in Riksdagen is, reportedly, a very convoluted piece of PL/SQL. Not many are said to comprehend it. I've never seen it, but have talked to people who have. It is written as an implementation of the law, but where is the transitional competence that understands constitutional law and database theory and practice? (This is a central tallying function; not electronic voting, something I together with every computer security professional I've heard, thoroughly dislike, and which we do not have. Every vote is a piece of paper.)

By the way, we're in a constitutional crisis as of last Monday, since the PM lost a confidence vote over rent regulation. Feels a bit like Italy.

And that's the problem with coalitions; confidence votes stalling genuine business.

There's unlikely to be real electoral reform in the UK anytime soon, for the same reason that turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas, had they the comprehension and opportunity.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93329 on: July 01, 2021, 05:27:32 am »
[snip]...
Right now I'm trying to lay my hands on a proper 0602 cap sample book at a sane price somewhere reasonably quick delivery; I really need it in my stockpiles anyways. Given the lack of any heartbeat 💓 from any pin on the CPU I have little hope of it bringing the thing back to life, but hey; it at least gives me something else to think aboot for a while.

mnem
 :-/O

I took a look in my stock and found only 0805 sizes and not even the capacitance you are searching for. That means that I have not ventured into soldering as small as 0602 yet. Along the way, there was a rude reminder of all the projects that I have not started on  :horse: It far outnumbers the number of completed projects...

0603 isn't too bad; they're 1.6mm x 0.8mm and I solder that with the naked eye all the time, even 0402 occasionally...  ;) Tho I prefer my reading glasses if the angle of attack is conducive.

I gave up and went to the US Amazon site; I vacillated over these three for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitors-Assortment-Values-Electronic-Components/dp/B08SQZVRF5            90 Values, 0603 Sample Book US$18.29

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-10pF-22uF-Multilayer-Capacitors-Assortment/dp/B094Z9V5KK          16 Values 0603, 0805, & 1206 960PCs Cut Tape US$28.18

https://www.amazon.com/McIgIcM-36values20pcs-electronic-Multiplayer-Capacitors/dp/B06XDG3WQX   36 Values 0603 720PCs Cut Tape US$16.09

But in the end bought the last one cuz cheapest and here in 2 weeks.

While shopping on Amazon.ca, I did stumble across these tho: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08P8TYQ2S  170 Values, 0805 Resistor Sample Book CAD$13.49

I got two cuz of the price; now I think I may just empty one into the other and then fill it with my caps when they arrive. ;)

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a SMT mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93330 on: July 01, 2021, 05:46:11 am »

I've been waiting a while since the last matching page.
Here is mine, which is still working well, unlike it's younger brother (hopefully there won't be too many posts and I will be able to add it when I get back from work  :rant:).

David

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, nixiefreqq, mansaxel, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93331 on: July 01, 2021, 06:20:37 am »
Making room for some TEA repairs by arranging the WEA stuff. Local EOFY evilbay discount on top of already discounted price Taxable income for the year sub zero :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #93332 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:10 am »
I need to organise some stuff, too.  Last time I used my angle grinder, I went and bought some cutting discs at Bunnings then when I got home, went looking for the pin spanner so I could change the disc.

Found the spanner in a box .... along with a couple of dozen cutting and grinding discs.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93333 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:50 am »
Me Too

My 3734 is "as found" but fully working. Just proving I meet the TEA standard of having at least one display tube counter even if it is one tube short of a six pack.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, nixiefreqq, factory, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #93334 on: July 01, 2021, 06:28:39 am »
Forgive me.  I do not have any nixie display gear at all.   :-[

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93335 on: July 01, 2021, 06:41:51 am »

You really need to rectify that deficiency in your test equipment suite...   >:D >:D

Nixies aren’t addictive at all.  Nope, not a bit.   :o

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #93336 on: July 01, 2021, 06:45:53 am »
And I must say, there are more 3734As in this group than I’d have expected.  Seems to me that one was in my search list for quite some time before I was able to snag it.

I’m pleasantly surprised!   :-+ :-+ :-+

-Pat

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93337 on: July 01, 2021, 06:48:48 am »

There are always ample opportunities to change this deplorable state of affairs.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93338 on: July 01, 2021, 07:08:54 am »
Anyone with a Fluke 540B Thermal Transfer standard without the good bits? eBay auction: #224515676310

Or buy one as well  :-DD eBay auction: #224514346736

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93339 on: July 01, 2021, 07:16:47 am »
I’d buy that aneng DMM with the BT and clock if it had a coffee pot on it too

It can't make coffee but it can charge 18650 batteries  :)

That’s actually quite impressive  :-DD

To my great surprise, the AN-888S turned out to be a halfway decent 19999 count meter.   It became my default meter during lockdown because it was the only one at home.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommned it to someone who understands the safety limitations.    There isn't anything else in this price range.    I paid $62 including shipping to the UK and it was well worth the money.     

There is no CAT rating, fake or otherwise.   I wouldn't use it in a situation that requires a CAT rating.   
The manual has warnings about using the meter when it is connected to a charger.

The speakers are terrible and I never use them.   

I've been using my Beckman for higher voltage work as it is rated to 1500V.   The CAT rating on the DM-200 (Digimess/Mastech) is suspect.  Which of course means I need a 5 1/2 digit  CAT II rated DMM.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:21:08 am by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93340 on: July 01, 2021, 07:27:07 am »
400 sek or quid or dollars or dollarydoos?  ???
Euro.

Today, one Euro is 10,14 SEK, and one USD is 8,54 SEK. The pound is slightly above the Euro at 11,83 SEK.

Does that mean that the pound has won?  :)

At the rate that I and people around me are cursing slightly more than half of the voting population of UK while we're looking for gear suppliers where shipping and customs and crazy VAT rules won't double the price of practically anything if sourced from That Island, in short, "no".  Just the other day The Wife uttered several well chosen "not in front of servants and children" words over the fact that her favourite arts supplies house now is outside the Common Market. And went to a german supplier instead.

Don't worry slightly less than half the voters here are cusing them too. I think some are cursing themselves. They certainly cursed the lot of us. I think Covid has hidden a lot of the impact. A lot of the holiday makers are going to be unhappy when they can travel again.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93341 on: July 01, 2021, 07:55:47 am »
Making room for some TEA repairs by arranging the WEA stuff. Local EOFY evilbay discount on top of already discounted price Taxable income for the year sub zero :-+

Bottom drawer not a bad selection for the novice bush carpenter.  :P
Stanley 78, 45, Spokeshave, 10 1/2, 4 and a 5 that I was never that keen on so it went with Larry Major to Perth as it was better for his cabby work than shooting long surfaces like a 6 or 7 that really have some weight.

But can't spot the honing guide I passed onto Bean.....where's it hiding ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93342 on: July 01, 2021, 08:02:50 am »

Stanley 78, 45, Spokeshave, 10 1/2, 4 and a 5 that I was never that keen on so it went with Larry Major to Perth as it was better for his cabby work than shooting long surfaces like a 6 or 7 that really have some weight.

But can't spot the honing guide I passed onto Bean.....where's it hiding ?  :-//

Bottom drawer also has the Marple chisels in the roll with a few extras.

Collected all the sharpening bits stones, strop, flat stone slab etc and deciding if it goes on top or in a draw. Still two empty drawers to play with  ;) A Stanley #6 is still sort of on the wish list but the #5 gets it done for the smaller stuff I tend to do.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:06:08 am by beanflying »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93343 on: July 01, 2021, 08:11:41 am »

Collected all the sharpening bits stones, strop, flat stone slab etc and deciding if it goes on top or in a draw. Still two empty drawers to play with  ;) A Stanley #6 is still sort of on the wish list but the #5 gets it done for the smaller stuff I tend to do.
You kinky Aussies.  :P

Stanley 6 and 7 are way next level above a 5 and a 7 in particular is one of my prized possessions.
Had a 10 1/2 as an apprentice but left in on a nogging (dwang for some) and a wall sheet got nailed over it  >:( in the same year Elvis died. FFS that's some 40 yrs ago !
A 220 was a cheaper and quite suitable replacement although it doesn't have the adjustable throat.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:26:13 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93344 on: July 01, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
Leather Strop is likely less kinky than this Strop  ;)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93345 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:27 am »
Back on the HP 3734As The design team must have annoyed Mr Clement by putting ventillation holes all over his standard "clemant" case design (later called System I).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93346 on: July 01, 2021, 09:16:31 am »
A layer of oily felt, jute sacking (bean bags) or carpet in each drawer will keep them all in good nick Bean.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93347 on: July 01, 2021, 09:18:06 am »
Back on the HP 3734As The design team must have annoyed Mr Clement by putting ventillation holes all over his standard "clemant" case design (later called System I).

The ventilation holes appeared around the same time that the RIFAs did. I reckon that's not a coincidence!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93348 on: July 01, 2021, 09:27:25 am »

Oh and those cork tiles reminded me of a job Larry Major said he did on a boat over in Perth:

Seems they're using cork instead of teak as it don't stain the same and it's not as hot on the pinkys when barefooted.
Apparently it goes a little rough like sandpaper after a while but real easy to rub back smooth again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93349 on: July 01, 2021, 09:32:22 am »
Drawers have 3mm EVA foam in them but I have some cheap cork mats for Laser playing so I might swap them out yet. The Cork top on my bench is holding up well after a couple of years use/abuse. Lots to recommend it as a surface for general use.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:34:10 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf