Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16912646 times)

Vgkid, Vince, Wolfgang, doktor pyta and 79 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93225 on: June 29, 2021, 08:25:17 pm »
Just found some retard signalling out on my daily walk  :palm:

Another Bill Gates conspiracy theory?

Jepp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

Chemtrails is an evolution of the Contrails/Weather Control conspiracy nuttery, which has literally been around since the dawn of jet aircraft. I remember reading SciFi stories that parodized the whole thing when I was still a kid.

mnem
Imagination and stupidity is a dangerous combination. :o

There were jets soooo long ago?? :D

McBryce.

*thinks aboot slapping you, then I realize I'd have to climb down off the T-Rex I was riding home from the grocery*   ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93226 on: June 29, 2021, 08:35:25 pm »
The Metex meter is an ATEX explosion proof version so might just make that price.
The toolkit is for mil spec circular connnector assembly. I've got it's big brother that includes the crimp tools.
JVincent seems to be having a clear out.

There is a crimp tool in the left side of the box, a bit hidden in the first picture.

David

So there is, I missed that. Mine has both the large and small crimp tools but no torque wrench.
B.T.W the odd black bar with the square tapered end goes in the hole in the black block in the lower left hand corner of the box and the retort clamp goes on it to hoed the connector you are working on.
If you work with circular connectors it's worth £150 and the seller would probably take £100 or so.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93227 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:56 pm »
Mmmmokay... just for grins... what have you done since you bought the Siglent where any more than 3 trailing digits makes any material difference whatsoever?

Sorry, for the purposes of this question, volt-nuttery related activities are ineligible, in whole or in part. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

The Siglent really has nothing to do with it but I have recorded that it continues to consistently read approx 3 least digits low when measured on both AD584-M references. That has stayed consistent for nearly 2 years now. And I've proven several times in the past that it does measure low. I record all this so I can't fake or fudge any results. The 3456A tracks those references dead nuts as they warm up and settle. I also cross check with the 2465 DMS which has proven to be very accurate too. 
Well that to me suggests that the reference used to set up the Siglent at the factory was also 3 digits lower across its ranges, but in reality, I never take notice of anything beyond 3dp anyway and even then only on the 2.5V range of the AD584-M as I have yet to meet anything that was critical if was receiving 5.000V or even 5.005V letalone 5.0001V. Yes I like to see meters agree with each other but at the day is it really that important in the grand scheme of things? I know that some voltnuts will be wanting to kick me in the nuts right about now. I do however agree that on the ultra low ranges, the milli and micro volts might very well be far more critical in sensitive circuits such as input stages.
Certainly not.  :bullshit:
All their gear has tracible calibration and from new accuracy is pretty good.

As Siglent don't age their Vref's aging drift is the reason for later inaccuracies and they've had to develop a user adjustment procedure which at this time is unnecessarily complex and withheld from public release.  ::)  :--
We are pressuring them to simplify user adjustments/alignment and release it.  :horse: 
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93228 on: June 29, 2021, 08:52:05 pm »
As Siglent don't age their Vref's aging drift is the reason for later inaccuracies and they've had to develop a user adjustment procedure which at this time is unnecessarily complex and withheld from public release.  ::)  :--
We are pressuring them to simplify user adjustments/alignment and release it.  :horse:

Why not pressure them to age their ref in the first place ?!  Because it would increase the cost of production I presume ?!   :-//
Regardless I guess it's always handy to have an easy way for the user to tweak the thing 20 years down the line if/when required...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93229 on: June 29, 2021, 09:02:27 pm »

Why not pressure them to age their ref in the first place ?!  Because it would increase the cost of production I presume ?!   :-//
Yes I imagine it's a time/cost issue which could push these bench meters away from their current price point.
Regardless I guess it's always handy to have an easy way for the user to tweak the thing 20 years down the line if/when required...
Totally agree but to get the SDM team to see the light is like leading a horse to water that don't wanna drink !  :horse:
Gradually ramping up the pressure and hoping they'll take a sip.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93230 on: June 29, 2021, 09:02:50 pm »
@Vince, you want to grab one of those MX52 meters if you can, I have one, very nice meters it has a logic setting as well a centre zero function on the DCV and DCI ranges and a zoom function for low values.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93231 on: June 29, 2021, 09:13:37 pm »
The Metex meter is an ATEX explosion proof version so might just make that price.

METRIX not Metex  :horse:

Yes the ATEX certification often makes the price of this model go through the roof.
I have exactly the same as pictured in this ad. Leather case, yellow version (later revision were red), also in like new condition... 30 Euros on Ebay ! Could not believe it until I actually received it ! Must have been 4 or 5 years ago tops, at the time Farnell was still selling it, for shy of 2,000 Euros !!!  :scared:

I like them, because, other than me liking the yellow and out of the ordinary / special purpose pieces of kit, they are basically a MX56C painted yellow minus the 10A range. So you get all the features, top accuracy and high count and wide AC RMS B/W of the MX56 !

So whenever I see a  MX57EX in good nick at cheaper than MX56C prices (typically 120 to 150 Euros), I take it immmmmmediately.

No later than last week locally, there was one for sale, pristine, in red not yellow, for only 70 Euros ! Could not believe it !  :scared:
And his ad even had a "make an offer" button ! Clicked on it to offer 60 Euros, just because... seller said NO OFFER AND NO SHIPPING !

Eh ?! Why did you put a "make me an offer "button if you don't take offers... and why the hell can't you ship the bloody thing ?! That too was not indicated in your ad !!

So I am a bit pissed, just missed on a pristine dirt cheap 57Ex, GRRRR!!!!!    |O

There is another one right now, also in red, but way too expensive at 300 Euros :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/outillage_materiaux_2nd_oeuvre/1488514542.htm?ac=98969919

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:16:46 pm by Vince »

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93232 on: June 29, 2021, 09:29:13 pm »
@Vince, you want to grab one of those MX52 meters if you can, I have one, very nice meters it has a logic setting as well a centre zero function on the DCV and DCI ranges and a zoom function for low values.  :-+

Yeah I guess I would be tempted if just to make my ASYC collection 100% compete ! :P

Problem is that it appears the MX50/51/52 series is very rare, they pop up as rarely as the MX56, and every time I see one, it's always in terrible shape and/or way overpriced given its specs. So if I can find a good deal on one yeah, but I am not holding my breath...  :-\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93233 on: June 29, 2021, 10:01:47 pm »
I was working from home today so when I saw an hour old email from UPS saying “delivered”, I was kind of disappointed that they didn’t even knock on the door when they left the Keysight package on the front porch.  The COVID-19 mask wearing plaster rabbit isn't going to do much to deter porch pirates, after all.

The package these adapters came in was hidden nicely behind the screen door at the side door.
 Of course, once it arrived, I realized I ordered the wrong gender banana socket to BNC, not that having more permutations of adapters is a bad thing but it wasn’t what I needed right away, so I’ve got a followup order in to the seller that’s in transit now with some other miscellaneous cables and adapters:

Getting great deals on test equipment’s one thing but it’s even more important when you consider how much you need to tack on in cabling and adapters to make it useful with everything else.

Hopefully the rest of what I ordered from Newark and eBay shows up soon.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:04:14 pm by 25 CPS »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93234 on: June 29, 2021, 10:46:31 pm »
Arrived today. More coming soon ...

:D

And, as promised, here is the teardown of this nice device: a Keithley 616 which I got for 85 Euro including shipping.
(teardown of another 616 here in the EEVBlog forum)

The package was very well, the meter itself has been covered in an old duvet (blerk!) but it did a good job.
Sorry, no pictures because I've thrown it immediately in the bin.

Here are some pictures from the outside. Please note the rusty screw. It is untouched which means, nobody was inside before.

The Triax connector is looking good imo. Now I need a cable with a proper connector for it.

Backside, very nice binding posts.

Here are the overviews from top and bottom. I hope I never have to unsolder these screws.

PSU area, transformer, +5V, HV area and nice looking electrolytic caps. Will test them anyway and check all the voltages.

The display, front and back. These LED seven segment displays are from Monsanto but I don't know what type (2x 5 dots per segment). Those golden pins are everywhere. Aren't they gorgeous?

Some switches. Mains power switch, fast-normal switch, reed relay switch for the auto zero, rotary switch for the sensitivity, unshielded part of the ranging rotary switch

The analogue ranging board with the red Caddock resistor network and the digital board which controls the meter (including display). I didn't dare to pull them, maybe next time. Will add then the pictures here.

Let's see what's under the shielding. I didn't touch anything inside here, because this will destroy all the high impedance here.
One need to wear gloves if, for example, the pre-amp needs to be pulled.
Input termination and PTFE standoff, pre-amplifier, the high impedance part of the rotary range selector switch, some resistors and capacitors mounted on the rotary switch. There are some glass insulated resistors on it, need to take some pictures next time.

I'm very happy with this unit so far. It looks very clean and untouched in the inside.
Next step is getting a proper cable so I can do some testing. And I need to check the voltage rails and the electrolytic capacitors.

I'm looking forward to measuring the leakage currents of a few wet-slug tantalum capacitors with it.  :D

Hope, you've enjoyed this little teardown.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93235 on: June 30, 2021, 12:19:04 am »
Totally agree but to get the SDM team to see the light is like leading a horse to water that don't wanna drink !  :horse:

Visions of Tautech standing peeling a chunk of ginger - "Gentlemen, I've come here today to talk to you about calibration.".  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #93236 on: June 30, 2021, 01:26:22 am »
Careful ... that can be a dangerous word to use.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93237 on: June 30, 2021, 01:35:45 am »
The display, front and back. These LED seven segment displays are from Monsanto but I don't know what type (2x 5 dots per segment). Those golden pins are everywhere. Aren't they gorgeous?

I'm curious, the Monsanto LEDs and Monsanto test equipment that's out there, was it the same Monsanto company that made PCBs and then got heavily into biotechnology with Roundup and the genetically engineered seeds or a different company with the same name?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93238 on: June 30, 2021, 01:42:41 am »

I'm curious, the Monsanto LEDs and Monsanto test equipment that's out there, was it the same Monsanto company that made PCBs and then got heavily into biotechnology with Roundup and the genetically engineered seeds or a different company with the same name?

As far as I know it's the same company. According to my wacko vegan sister-in-law they are the most evil company on the face of the earth.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93239 on: June 30, 2021, 01:56:05 am »
Careful ... that can be a dangerous word to use.

How to avoid quibblers around the word "calibration":

• Be well know for carrying "conversational cutlery".
  • Be in possession of a shit eating grin and several inches of peeled ginger root.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93240 on: June 30, 2021, 02:12:51 am »

As far as I know it's the same company. According to my wacko vegan sister-in-law they are the most evil company on the face of the earth.  ::)

Sold Pumps to Monsanto for Roundup back in the day yep they were environmental vandals in the name of a corporate $ back then (yes I still took their money), they were doing a lot of their control work in house even in Melbourne at the time. Far less likely now and is likely plug and play imports but locally we still see some Monsanto counters and a few other bits of TEA randomly.

Their move into GM has just raised the bar. Monoculture GM crop X herbicide R bye bye bugs good bad and essential so lets now sell you another product to fix your issues.....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:17:52 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93241 on: June 30, 2021, 02:17:16 am »
OK, some years back (3 or so) I bought a secondhand "Silhouette Portrait" plotter/cutter. You know the sort of thing, much loved by crafty ladies (No Mnem/Mike, not that sort of crafty. Go and wash your minds out with soap!*). My intent was to try and use the thing to make solder stencils. Time has passed, it's been used for quite a bit of vinyl cutting for signs and T-shirts, but not for what I intended it for. At least not until today.

While SMD prototyping I've got quite good at minuscule soldering but I've reached the point where I've got a bit fed up of the small stuff. So I decided it was time to try actually cutting a stencil to print some solder with. The results were far better than I hoped.

I have a stock of various SMD breakout boards, and I needed to get a MAX3232 in SOIC-16 soldered onto one. I made a rough copy of a pre-existing breakout board in KiCad, not stunningly accurate - I only really needed the paste layer to match up with what I had. Ran off just the Gerber for the front paste layer, and fed the resulting Gerber through "gerber2graphtec" and "file2graphtec" (Github repo for these here). I didn't have to do anything particularly clever, just followed the instructions. I used a bit of standard inkjet printable acetate designed for making OHP slides and the like. For reference it was 0.1mm thick Schwan STABILO branded.

I think the results speak for themselves. Stencil printed in the usual way with solder paste (63/37) using an old credit card as a squeegee. Reflowed with a cheap Chinese Atten knock off at 230ºC.

* I'm not including BD139 because, let's be honest, when it comes to having a filthy mind the man's a lost cause.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93242 on: June 30, 2021, 04:40:02 am »

Visions of Tautech standing peeling a chunk of ginger - "Gentlemen, I've come here today to talk to you about calibration.".  >:D
Had more luck with stubborn livestock using a pitchfork !  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93243 on: June 30, 2021, 06:01:24 am »
I'm running neither which has less problems than both added together  ???

I'm looking after some computers of some friends of mine. Windows user. That's why I'm dealing with both worlds.
I'm not using Apple, because I've never understood their GUI philosophy.  :-//

I'm an OS X user since about 2003. My GUI philosophy is "It's just a bunch of terminals and a web browser" because that's where work gets done.

(Before that, I was on OpenBSD / NetBSD and Solaris. Yes, for the desktop. In my two years working for the military, I had to endure severely limited Windows machinery, because to get that ecosystem secure, there is a LOT of shit needing doing. Other than that, I've been Windows-free on the desktop for the better part of 20 years now. These days, I'm running a small Samba AD with a bunch of Win 10 clients for my children. That's enough pain, and some to spare. )

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93244 on: June 30, 2021, 06:41:42 am »

As per Wikipedia: yes, they are.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto#%22Pre-Pharmacia%22_Monsanto
Quote:
"In 1968, it became the first company to start mass production of (visible) light-emitting diodes (LEDs), using gallium arsenide phosphide. From 1968 to 1970, sales doubled every few months. Their products (discrete LEDs and seven-segment numeric displays) became industry standards. The primary markets then were electronic calculators, digital watches and digital clocks.[42] Monsanto became a pioneer of optoelectronics in the 1970s."
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93245 on: June 30, 2021, 07:49:07 am »
Another successful calibration completed. (DCV and Ohms only) Given the extensive repair history with this 8600A I'm very surprised all parameters are well within spec.

Tomorrow is the big day. Surgery to repair the hernia. It's "same day" surgery so unless there are issues I should be back home late in the day. I'm really surprised it is considered same day since I'm going to have an invasive incision of probably 3 inches. So we'll see. Definitely going to be pain and discomfort. But hopefully not too bad. So while I'm anxious to get working on the Type 547 again I'm definitely not going to be able to jackass it around probably for a few weeks while I heal up.

Oh and that Type 555 on Albany CL is no longer listed. Apparently someone coughed up the $1K USD price.  :o     

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #93246 on: June 30, 2021, 08:13:53 am »
Good thoughts inbound for things to go well, Mike.  I’m hoping you’ll be back to moving 500 series scopes for exercise soon.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93247 on: June 30, 2021, 08:20:27 am »
Good luck with that one. Hope it goes ok so you can grumble at us about it on discord  :-DD.

Also I’d rest up for a loooong time after that. The longer you rest the longer the repair lasts. The more 547’s you lug the shorter it lasts!

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93248 on: June 30, 2021, 08:26:37 am »
Good luck with that one. Hope it goes ok so you can grumble at us about it on discord  :-DD.

Also I’d rest up for a loooong time after that. The longer you rest the longer the repair lasts. The more 547’s you lug the shorter it lasts!
He sent nurse Jo Ann back too early.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93249 on: June 30, 2021, 08:40:21 am »

Gee, do I have a reputation for grumbling? Yea, I guess I do.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf