Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16917144 times)

Carl_Smith and 110 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93200 on: June 29, 2021, 03:07:36 pm »
Mmmmokay... just for grins... what have you done since you bought the Siglent where any more than 3 trailing digits makes any material difference whatsoever?

Sorry, for the purposes of this question, volt-nuttery related activities are ineligible, in whole or in part. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93201 on: June 29, 2021, 03:39:28 pm »
Mmmmokay... just for grins... what have you done since you bought the Siglent where any more than 3 trailing digits makes any material difference whatsoever?

Sorry, for the purposes of this question, volt-nuttery related activities are ineligible, in whole or in part. ;)

mnem

The Siglent really has nothing to do with it but I have recorded that it continues to consistently read approx 3 least digits low when measured on both AD584-M references. That has stayed consistent for nearly 2 years now. And I've proven several times in the past that it does measure low. I record all this so I can't fake or fudge any results. The 3456A tracks those references dead nuts as they warm up and settle. I also cross check with the 2465 DMS which has proven to be very accurate too. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93202 on: June 29, 2021, 03:44:53 pm »
Today is sort of miscellaneous grab bag day. I wanted to make sure that the Type 1A1 plug-in out of the Type 547 still worked and passed signals. It does and as previously noted both channels have the identical low gain that can't be adjusted out. I was afraid that all the PSU issues in the Type 547 blew out devices in the plug-in but apparently not. One small victory.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93203 on: June 29, 2021, 03:57:11 pm »

mnem

The Siglent really has nothing to do with it but I have recorded that it continues to consistently read approx 3 least digits low when measured on both AD584-M references. That has stayed consistent for nearly 2 years now. And I've proven several times in the past that it does measure low. I record all this so I can't fake or fudge any results. The 3456A tracks those references dead nuts as they warm up and settle. I also cross check with the 2465 DMS which has proven to be very accurate too.

Yes, but those are all volt-nuttery related activities. The purchase of the Siglent was just a convenient reference point in time; it marks (at least to the casual observer) the point where you first started your descent into madness down this particular volt-nuttery rabbit-hole.  ;)

So the question remains... aside from just knowing (which yes, I agree, is more than good enough reason  :-+), have you done anything in that time where more than 3 trailing digits makes any material difference whatsoever...?

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93204 on: June 29, 2021, 04:08:41 pm »

mnem

Yes, but those are all volt-nuttery related activities. The purchase of the Siglent was just a convenient reference point in time; it marks (at least to the casual observer) the point where you first started your descent into madness down this particular volt-nuttery rabbit-hole.  ;)

So the question remains... aside from just knowing (which yes, I agree, is more than good enough reason  :-+), have you done anything in that time where more than 3 trailing digits makes any material difference whatsoever...?

mnem

OK, now I got what you're asking. The answer is no. But if, and when, that day comes I want the 3 trailing digits to be dead nuts.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93205 on: June 29, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »

mnem
*toddles off back into dead-Pioneer Hell*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:12:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93206 on: June 29, 2021, 04:57:37 pm »

mnem

Well that to me suggests that the reference used to set up the Siglent at the factory was also 3 digits lower across its ranges, but in reality, I never take notice of anything beyond 3dp anyway and even then only on the 2.5V range of the AD584-M as I have yet to meet anything that was critical if was receiving 5.000V or even 5.005V letalone 5.0001V. Yes I like to see meters agree with each other but at the day is it really that important in the grand scheme of things? I know that some voltnuts will be wanting to kick me in the nuts right about now. I do however agree that on the ultra low ranges, the milli and micro volts might very well be far more critical in sensitive circuits such as input stages.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93207 on: June 29, 2021, 05:05:22 pm »
I'm just saying that I'm still waiting for that phone call from Dwayne Stewart, hmm, I suppose he could just be watching the England v Germany match now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93208 on: June 29, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »
Yep, that Fluke 123 price is heading north at a ridiculous rate of knots.

Speaking of knots...

You will be doing no knots with this anchoring your boat: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274850238389

If you have a battleship, you can use this to help park it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234069762082

Someone needs to rescue this lil fella: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114866968098

Saskia so needs this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304037202176

This one's purely to get a rise out of BD139: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114869060867

HFM?!?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124790083735

Just the toolkit we all need: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224514871486

Lastly, no pics on this listing, may be why the bids are still so low: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184908937032
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93209 on: June 29, 2021, 05:52:50 pm »
I'm not surprised given its new price and that it has 24 watchers.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93210 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:01 pm »

You and factory may want to check the listing with no pics from my last post...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93211 on: June 29, 2021, 06:25:26 pm »
The lack of pics must be another ePay glitch  :bullshit:, as the sellers other items have them, note the screen has problems.

The Philips counter, already tried an offer at £30 yesterday morning & £35 just now, both got auto declined.  :-\

I've been asking work about buying some redundant TEA every few months for the last year or so, finally got an answer today, they don't want to sell it & would rather scrap it all.  :'(
I've not been in the storeroom in question for a long time, but last time I did there was a dead Fluke 123 & also dead Tek 21x series scope (can't remember which). The Fluke got EOL'ed with 110Vdc up it's recharge socket many years ago (not by me), it got a replacement mainboard at a cost of around £800, this failed too after around a year of use.  :-BROKE The Tek I've never seen working & has the storage buttons missing, it came from another site that closed.
Neither of those bother me too much, I actually wanted to rescue some much nicer stuff, such as the last Rotek calibrator left on site.

David
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:27:44 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93212 on: June 29, 2021, 06:33:59 pm »
The lack of pics must be another ePay glitch  :bullshit:, as the sellers other items have them, note the screen has problems.

The Philips counter, already tried an offer at £30 yesterday morning & £35 just now, both got auto declined.  :-\

I've been asking work about buying some redundant TEA every few months for the last year or so, finally got an answer today, they don't want to sell it & would rather scrap it all.  :'(
I've not been in the storeroom in question for a long time, but last time I did there was a dead Fluke 123 & also dead Tek 21x series scope (can't remember which). The Fluke got EOL'ed with 110Vdc up it's recharge socket many years ago (not by me), it got a replacement mainboard at a cost of around £800, this failed too after around a year of use.  :-BROKE The Tek I've never seen working & has the storage buttons missing, it came from another site that closed.
Neither of those bother me too much, I actually wanted to rescue some much nicer stuff, such as the last Rotek calibrator left on site.

David

I believe Dave has done a repair video on this very issue. Time to practice your hotbar skills..?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93213 on: June 29, 2021, 06:35:49 pm »
Hiss and spit at that jvincent120 auction. He does have some Marconi parts mules I was considering for strip and resale value though.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93214 on: June 29, 2021, 06:37:20 pm »
Just found some retard signalling out on my daily walk  :palm:

Another Bill Gates conspiracy theory?

Jepp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

Chemtrails is an evolution of the Contrails/Weather Control conspiracy nuttery, which has literally been around since the dawn of jet aircraft. I remember reading SciFi stories that parodized the whole thing when I was still a kid.

mnem
Imagination and stupidity is a dangerous combination. :o

There were jets soooo long ago?? :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93215 on: June 29, 2021, 07:02:02 pm »
The Metex meter is an ATEX explosion proof version so might just make that price.
The toolkit is for mil spec circular connnector assembly. I've got it's big brother that includes the crimp tools.
JVincent seems to be having a clear out.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93216 on: June 29, 2021, 07:27:14 pm »
The Metex meter is an ATEX explosion proof version so might just make that price.
The toolkit is for mil spec circular connnector assembly. I've got it's big brother that includes the crimp tools.
JVincent seems to be having a clear out.

There is a crimp tool in the left side of the box, a bit hidden in the first picture.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93217 on: June 29, 2021, 07:30:34 pm »
For tomorrow. Fluke 8600A for calibration. Power up now so it will have in excess of 12 hours to stabilize.

(And yes, that's exposed mains in the rear. Due caution required)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93218 on: June 29, 2021, 07:34:13 pm »
The design of the early black/green/grey flukes was shocking  :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93219 on: June 29, 2021, 07:37:39 pm »

Yep, along with that 8600A the 8000A, 8010A, 8050A all have exposed mains wiring. Same with the 1900A and 1912A Counters.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93220 on: June 29, 2021, 07:37:57 pm »
Not one but two TEA moments today.

1) Received the original printed user manual for my newly acquired Wavetek DM27XT, all the way from Canada to Frog land, thanks Zoli !  :-+

2) Bought meself another DMM for my collection : a Metrix MX20. Obviously no need for it, it's a collection after all. It's the rock bottom model of the " ASYC " range. only 2000 counts, accuracy to match, but rugged, super big fat large digits easy to read, the equivalent in spirit to my Fluke 11, except the advantage of the MX20 is it measures current ! So it's more versatile...

Normally I only collect the meters from the MX 53/54/56(C) series, since they are the top of the range, super marvelous ones... I just can't seem to get enough of them, have a dozen of them I am sure !  But one day I found myself having a soft spot for a mint MX 44... lesser model, mid range, but still the same basic ASYC case design... so I wanted it. Plus, it has a beautiful display. Large, very crisp digits with good contrast and viewing angle. I just love its display.

So the MX20, bottom of the range, was the missing link in the collection, even though there is NO shortage of them for sale, since it was so widespread, being cheap and capable enough for 99,9% of the uses. But most of them are in a sorry state and for sale at silly prices, routinely 75 or 90 Euros even though you can easily find a nice MX53 for that price, that's 2 orders of magnitude better in every way, or even an MX54 when you get lucky, every now and then.  MX20 sellers just smoke something real funny, don't know what it is, but it's real powerful stuff for sure ! :palm:

BUT... being now jobless means I can check ads more often and, statistically, it increases my chances of being first on interesting ads, which I normally would either not see at all, or I would see them but be late by several hours and would get the dreaded "sorry already sold, 5 minutes after I uploaded the ad ! " reply !

SO !.... last week I spotted an MX20, in like new condition, in its original box with original test leads, for only 10 Euros !!!
Now THAT, I am OK with ! So I was weak... I bought it !

And it arrived today as well.

So now my ASYC collection is complete !  :)  Well there is still the MX50/51/52 series, maybe one day, don't know...

Picture of the MX20 with friends ! MX20 bottom of the range on the left, next to MX 44 mid range, next to MX53 top of the range.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:48:38 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, factory, Kosmic, Zoli

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93221 on: June 29, 2021, 07:42:23 pm »
Forgot to add.... seller advertised it at only 10 Euros because he said it was defective, so sold it for parts. Said it works fine but that the Meter drains a new set of batteries (x2 AA) in a couple of days! Could not figure it out so sold it for parts.

So I might look into this... good excuse to take it apart and do some measurements and experiments with it, great !!!  8)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:44:02 pm by Vince »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93222 on: June 29, 2021, 07:44:43 pm »

Yep, along with that 8600A the 8000A, 8010A, 8050A all have exposed mains wiring. Same with the 1900A and 1912A Counters.

At least there was some solder mask on the 8010 and 8050  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93223 on: June 29, 2021, 08:22:03 pm »
Anyone in the US interested in a Wavetek large screen X/Y scope? seller also has some other small & large boat anchor grade TEA including hp 2590A,B & 614A.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304049356296

Another odd in-house hp true RMS meter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373605919845

David
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:28:08 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93224 on: June 29, 2021, 08:24:56 pm »

You and factory may want to check the listing with no pics from my last post...
The screen has issues, might be down to hotbar connection problem but the last time I tried that, I screwed up big time,  :scared: It also has 19 watchers already.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf