Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17731320 times)

wkb, Runco990 and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93175 on: June 29, 2021, 10:19:05 am »
Talk to them, it wil probably be Dwyane or Beryl (his mum). Nothing to loose but a bit of time.
Yes it is Dwayne, I didn't want to name anyone but since you did, I guess it's OK to open it up a bit more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:32:09 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93176 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:25 am »
Linux is possibly best suited being used for specific purposes, ie., running a certain application or generally just surfing the web, but seems a bit suspect if you want to use it in the same fashion as a windows based PC, ie., surfing, running packages like office suites, photoshop, games, databases cad etc that come from other developers. That is where I can see some major screw-ups coming into the equation to make the average users life even more miserable than windows can make it when things go wrong. With windows, those developers all know that they are essentially only going to have to interact with the same kernel. Does that make sense, bearing in mind I'm not a programmer of any sort? 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93177 on: June 29, 2021, 11:07:44 am »
With windows, those developers all know that they are essentially only going to have to interact with the same kernel. Does that make sense, bearing in mind I'm not a programmer of any sort?

If only!

There are bits of Windows 3.x in Win 10, and large bits disappear over time.
https://www.osnews.com/story/133581/state-of-the-windows-how-many-layers-of-ui-inconsistencies-are-in-windows-10/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93178 on: June 29, 2021, 11:10:23 am »
When people throw it out as 'the solution' for someone having issues with type X Linux/windoze/apple etc if definitely over selling it. It is and remains an 'option' with appropriate caveats of harder to setup harder to drive and more quirky and borderline a disaster for the less tech savvy.

Doesn't make it a bad option at all just it needs to be looked at without blowing smoke up it's butt.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93179 on: June 29, 2021, 11:37:51 am »
Linux is possibly best suited being used for specific purposes, ie., running a certain application or generally just surfing the web, but seems a bit suspect if you want to use it in the same fashion as a windows based PC, ie., surfing, running packages like office suites, photoshop, games, databases cad etc that come from other developers. That is where I can see some major screw-ups coming into the equation to make the average users life even more miserable than windows can make it when things go wrong. With windows, those developers all know that they are essentially only going to have to interact with the same kernel. Does that make sense, bearing in mind I'm not a programmer of any sort?

- surfing the web: Firefox, looks exactly the same as in Windows
- email: Thunderbird
- office: libre office, works very well and has nice PDF capabilites
- Photoshop: using gimp here. Very powerful tool
- games: I'm running the Steam engine on my Linux and can play a lot of games. Usually I'm playing Defense Grid 2
- databases: Oracle is running under Linux and so do MySQL, MariaDB and many others
- cad: I'm using Eagle and KiCAD. Not sure about Fusion etc. but I'm coninced, there are other programs as well

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, wolfy007, duckduck

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93180 on: June 29, 2021, 11:55:43 am »
Everything I do runs on Linux. I just don’t want to run it on Linux. I value my time more than the platform choice.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93181 on: June 29, 2021, 11:59:47 am »
Everything I do runs on Linux. I just don’t want to run it on Linux. I value my time more than the platform choice.

Same here. I'm having less issues running Linux than Windows.  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: URI

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93182 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:08 pm »
I'm running neither which has less problems than both added together  ???

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93183 on: June 29, 2021, 12:06:11 pm »

- games: I'm running the Steam engine on my Linux and can play a lot of games. Usually I'm playing Defense Grid 2
- databases: Oracle is running under Linux and so do MySQL, MariaDB and many others
- cad: I'm using Eagle and KiCAD. Not sure about Fusion etc. but I'm coninced, there are other programs as well

It still seems like a massive step to take for a person like myself who has cut their teeth on Windows  and has a plenty of software already either installed or to be installed if required that is windows based to take bearing in mind that it needs a different mindset to be able to understand it and resolve any issues and I can sometimes struggle with windows.  What I need is another PC that I could install a version of Linux on and then explore it and learn about it on without compromising my current PC that does everything pretty well apart from play with the headset correctly which is a sudden development. This might well be down to a Microsoft Windows patch which they could rectify in the next update, who knows?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93184 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:49 pm »

It still seems like a massive step to take for a person like myself who has cut their teeth on Windows  and has a plenty of software already either installed or to be installed if required that is windows based to take bearing in mind that it needs a different mindset to be able to understand it and resolve any issues and I can sometimes struggle with windows.  What I need is another PC that I could install a version of Linux on and then explore it and learn about it on without compromising my current PC that does everything pretty well apart from play with the headset correctly which is a sudden development. This might well be down to a Microsoft Windows patch which they could rectify in the next update, who knows?

I'm not trying to convert you to a Linux user. I just wanted to show you, that under Linux standard applications aren't an issue anymore in 2021. That's it. I am very well aware, that those are two different worlds, all with their advantages and disadvantages.

All I want is making you a bit curious about Linux and encourage you to give it a try. That's it.  :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93185 on: June 29, 2021, 12:19:34 pm »

I'm looking after some computers of some friends of mine. Windows user. That's why I'm dealing with both worlds.
I'm not using Apple, because I've never understood their GUI philosophy.  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93186 on: June 29, 2021, 12:19:54 pm »

I'm not trying to convert you to a Linux user. I just wanted to show you, that under Linux standard applications aren't an issue anymore in 2021. That's it. I am very well aware, that those are two different worlds, all with their advantages and disadvantages.

All I want is making you a bit curious about Linux and encourage you to give it a try. That's it.  :)
I fully understand that, but with so many variations of Linux, choosing the wrong one would be a step too far for me and would cause me so much grief while getting to grips with it. Hence, the requirement of a 2nd PC to play around with it to get grips with its different system etc. So I havent kicked it out, just not prepared to risk installing it on the Windows PC which is my lifeline, thats all.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93187 on: June 29, 2021, 12:23:10 pm »
Talking of platform choices, this is good for lab work...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, exor, wolfy007

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93188 on: June 29, 2021, 12:32:09 pm »

I'm looking after some computers of some friends of mine. Windows user. That's why I'm dealing with both worlds.
I'm not using Apple, because I've never understood their GUI philosophy.  :-//

It's nearly exactly the same as everything else. Taskbar is almost exactly the same as the dock. The menu bar at the top is the only difference and that's like that because you can sling the cursor precisely to the top of the screen if you need to rather than having to locate the top of the window. The system tray and calendar are at the top right.

To do stuff you hit Cmd+space and type what you want or ask it nicely.

"Hey siri, show me all files modified since yesterday at 7pm" solicits useful results, unlike the search functions of both competing operating systems...

I can move between all three easily. There's little disparity.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93189 on: June 29, 2021, 12:36:19 pm »
Talking of platform choices, this is good for lab work...

Shame that is only works on IOs and Macs, that would be useful on Windows.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93190 on: June 29, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »

I fully understand that, but with so many variations of Linux, choosing the wrong one would be a step too far for me and would cause me so much grief while getting to grips with it. Hence, the requirement of a 2nd PC to play around with it to get grips with its different system etc. So I havent kicked it out, just not prepared to risk installing it on the Windows PC which is my lifeline, thats all.  :-+

Linux isn't difficult for a non-programmer/non-development/non-support individual. In other words a typical user. Nearly everything can be done via the GUI just like Windows. IBM Systems Test uses a version of Red Hat Linux in both testing the mainframe as well as it's basic OS in communicating with the SE's (System Elements) which in turn talk to the CPU's/IO. Not everything in that environment could be done via the GUI and I had to use some command line instructions just like an old DOS PC. And just like DOS if you screwed up the syntax or made a typo you sometimes had to start all over.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93191 on: June 29, 2021, 01:16:44 pm »
Well that was painless. The "newer" S/N 8800A needed just a touch on some trim pots. The "older" S/N 8800A needed perhaps less than an eighth of a turn on a few trim pots. And the hp 3456A kept watch over the proceedings.

Next up is an 8600A, 8050A, and 8010A. But not today.

Edit...oops...almost forgot. An 8000A too. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:19:56 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93192 on: June 29, 2021, 01:36:32 pm »
   https://xkcd.com/864/

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a chicken mallet*

Dude!
It's 2021 & I still don't have my bloody flying car! >:(

You'd still crash it while texting and playing Angry Birds. Or Fruit Ninjas.  :-DD

mnem
or spill coffee in the control panel and have it launch into the stratosphere... :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93193 on: June 29, 2021, 01:42:00 pm »
Just found some retard signalling out on my daily walk  :palm:

Another Bill Gates conspiracy theory?

Jepp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

Chemtrails is an evolution of the Contrails/Weather Control conspiracy nuttery, which has literally been around since the dawn of jet aircraft. I remember reading SciFi stories that parodized the whole thing when I was still a kid.

mnem
Imagination and stupidity is a dangerous combination. :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93194 on: June 29, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »
Oh I could go on for months. You’re probably one of those lucky people who just steps on all the stones in the river and looks like Jesus. I’m the guy up to his knees in silt with a piranha nibbling on his testicles  :-DD

And I thought that was just my pet perv...  >:D

mnem
Also, thanks for the belly laugh; I needed it.   :-DD
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:51:50 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93195 on: June 29, 2021, 01:50:45 pm »
A Fabricobbledy Monday Morning Project:

The resistors were waiting in my mailbox this morning after brekkerz; I decided to step back from that Pioneer to get a start on something useful, so pulled the heatsink from that black behemoth monoblock amp to make this. 20 m3 holes drilled and tapped with the same bit/tap, all by hand with cordless drill. Even had to tap the holes with the drill too... Okay, I didn't have to, but I preferred to as I didn't have a proper ratcheting tap handle to use.

Still to come: Terminals on the way, and designing/printing bits to hold them and a 120mm fan.   

mnem
 :popcorn:

How many watts are you going to be dissipating with that lot? It will need  fan to get anywhere it nominal rating.

Umm yeah... that would be why the part aboot designing/printing bits to hold terminals and a 120mm fan...?  ???

mnem
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:52:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93196 on: June 29, 2021, 01:57:27 pm »
Talk to them, it wil probably be Dwyane or Beryl (his mum). Nothing to loose but a bit of time.

Depends, Beryl is the kind of name that goes with the ability to talk the hind leg off a donkey. You might not get off the phone until you've heard all about Mavis' second cousin's son's friend Dave's troubles with his mum's care worker. (Also the kind of woman who causes you to truly exercise your ability to punctuate possessives.)  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93197 on: June 29, 2021, 02:07:03 pm »

This is exactly what I ran into with my tinkering on that MacPro. I tried... I kid you not... 7 *NIX variants that were recommended for Mac, and of them all, only Mint/Cinnamon would successfully complete the install. That UI is a middle road between Windoze and OSX El Capitan... with slightly lower res spit & polish, but OTOH, pretty much everything just WORKS and the mindset of how you navigate & get things done is very reminiscent of Win7.

Honestly, you might like it, and it obviously has no problems installing on Intel iron. :-//

I would def put it on another HDD tho.

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:31:04 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93198 on: June 29, 2021, 02:10:10 pm »
   Well that was painless.

The "newer" S/N 8800A needed just a touch on some trim pots. The "older" S/N 8800A needed perhaps less than an eighth of a turn on a few trim pots. And the hp 3456A kept watch over the proceedings.   Next up is an 8600A, 8050A, and 8010A. But not today. Edit...oops...almost forgot. An 8000A too. 

So... do you finally have one meter to rule them all...?

mnem
 :-DMM

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93199 on: June 29, 2021, 02:31:26 pm »
   Well that was painless.

The "newer" S/N 8800A needed just a touch on some trim pots. The "older" S/N 8800A needed perhaps less than an eighth of a turn on a few trim pots. And the hp 3456A kept watch over the proceedings.   Next up is an 8600A, 8050A, and 8010A. But not today. Edit...oops...almost forgot. An 8000A too. 

So... do you finally have one meter to rule them all...?

mnem
 :-DMM

Yes. The 3456A. Of course I'm making an enormous leap of faith that it's accurate. But based upon what I've seen and my historical records I have a high level of confidence that it is.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf