Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16852425 times)

Henrik_V and 128 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93100 on: June 28, 2021, 10:42:40 am »
Somebody please post some TEA content.

Even spaghetti schematics are looking good right now.

Ok. Here's the inside of the Sinclair DM350 that I working on at the moment.

McBryce.

Got to love the cheapskate current shunt 5% WW resistor with excess lead length and kelvin connection tap for "calibration"

Don’t forget the 2000ppm tempco as well  :-DD

They also made a 4.5 digit version called the DM450. The DM350 was supposed to have an accuracy of .1% while the DM450 claimed .05%.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93101 on: June 28, 2021, 10:46:34 am »

Also I’m not going to any hamfests as one cough at one of them will triple the body count.

Speaking of hamfests there is one local to me on September 12th. That was the decent one that had lots of stuff for sale and where I picked up the hp 6215A power supply. Depending on the covid climate then I might attend.

The other local guys....the Mt Beacon Repeater Club....haven't scheduled one which no great loss. That was the hamfest that had one vendor selling equipment and the ARRL. And all the hobo's sitting at a table drinking coffee and eating donuts. Is it bad of me to think that covid might have done them in?  :o I'm terrible.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93102 on: June 28, 2021, 10:56:30 am »
No better here. Most of the hamfest attendees I see are progressively looking like the US.

I know this sounds horrible as well but I’ve considered attending due to the potential of a massive supply and low demand from the SK body count. I shall wait though and see what happens.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93103 on: June 28, 2021, 11:00:24 am »
No better here. Most of the hamfest attendees I see are progressively looking like the US.

I know this sounds horrible as well but I’ve considered attending due to the potential of a massive supply and low demand from the SK body count. I shall wait though and see what happens.

Yes, it does sound horrible......but at the same time. Have mask, gloves, disinfectant handy and shop till you drop.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93104 on: June 28, 2021, 11:05:24 am »
Will probably attend to this one:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93105 on: June 28, 2021, 11:05:34 am »
Somebody please post some TEA content.

Even spaghetti schematics are looking good right now.

Ok. Here's the inside of the Sinclair DM350 that I working on at the moment.

McBryce.

Looks likely it has been worked on before, I doubt Sinclair would have populated it with IC sockets. It was their normal game to reduce costs and cut corners wherever possible.

I'm well aware of how much a pile of cost cutting shite this meter is, however, the sockets are original. I've compared the PCB to other online pictures and they all have the exact same sockets. I'll be deliberately putting this meter directly above my Keithley 6500 just to highlight the contrast.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93106 on: June 28, 2021, 11:15:35 am »
been to one hamfest already.  planning to attend another this weekend.
free range primate

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93107 on: June 28, 2021, 11:17:14 am »

Last ham I met "new" (i.e. not by former association) filled in all those prejudices pretty well. Rusty Suburban, 2/70 antenna on roof, crash bar in front "adjusted so the toll stations can't see the registration plate" and there might have been a Confederate flag somewhere too. It was at a motoring event for old US cars, so no surprises.

There have been no hamfests around here since last February.  Nevertheless, I was gifted a IC-735 with a separate tuner from my neighbor, whose mothers husband (a ham) had died from Covid. Still in deliberations on suitable antenna for it. I probably need a whip antenna due to space constraints.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93108 on: June 28, 2021, 11:28:35 am »

I don't like those quotes, because to me they are looking very selfish.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #93109 on: June 28, 2021, 11:36:47 am »
I've been on a bit of a bidding/spending spree on eBay recently (I blame being stuck in during lockdowns)

One item I bid on arrived today, it was advertised as a "Basic Oscilloscope" - I had a look through the pictures and noticed it was a X/Y Vector Monitor.
I was quite curious about it and thought it was a bit different. I put a bid on it thinking if I win I can build a curve tracer or octopus type tester for it.
Maybe even have it playing "Oscilloscope Music" visuals.

I won the auction and it arrived today, it looks like it has never been used.
I powered it up and had a bit of a surprise, I could see the CRT has long persistence so slid out the orange filter.
It has a P7 (GM) phosphor CRT which I wasn't expecting to see. I'm not really sure what this would have been used for originally.

It is badged Visual Electronics which didn't bring much up on Google, but it seems later on they changed their name to Electronic Visuals and I found a few displays manufactured by them for the broadcast industry, but nothing like this.

I find the P7 phosphor fascinating, so not really sure what to use it for now. It might make a good visual prop for the workshop/house with some graphics or a clock on it?
I could even try some old SSTV with it!

I haven't fully checked the V/div on the X/Y axis, I did put 200mV on the inputs with a calibration device I had at hand and it didn't move by much. So I think it may be 1V/div or more (I should be able to adjust this if needed)

Pictures below and a quick YouTube Video:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:03:59 pm by TheBay »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, capt bullshot, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93110 on: June 28, 2021, 11:40:36 am »
Scope Clock  ;D

The following users thanked this post: TheBay, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93111 on: June 28, 2021, 11:52:17 am »
My £5 Digiplan counter turned up today. Pretty impressive service. It's tatty but works. I was mostly right about the circuit it has two ICM7211 4 digit LCD drivers and a bunch of 4000 series logic but also a pair of ICM7217 4 digit LED counter drivers. Presumably they are using th BCD output to feed the ICM7211s. Bit of an expensive option at firt sight but they are UP/DOWN  counters which i a bit harder to do with discrete logic.
The LCD bezel display distortion is interesting, I have 3 completly different units with the same 6 digit bezel doing the same thing. The cut-out on those is too narrow. I thought it was their design but as this is the same maybe the bezel datasheet has too tight a dimension.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93112 on: June 28, 2021, 11:59:15 am »

They’re both dead, one from being shot and one from the plague so the quotes are ironic no less  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93113 on: June 28, 2021, 12:01:09 pm »

Yes, it does sound horrible......but at the same time. Have mask, gloves, disinfectant handy and shop till you drop.  :P :-DD

To be fair that’s be a good idea to keep the nicotine smell off you anyway  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93114 on: June 28, 2021, 12:08:26 pm »
Sometimes Covid issues are just fun  >:D https://au.news.yahoo.com/naked-men-who-got-lost-being-chased-deer-fined-1000-034130687.html

Naked 'idiots' handed $1k Covid fine after bizarre sunbathing incident
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93115 on: June 28, 2021, 12:31:03 pm »
Sometimes Covid issues are just fun  >:D https://au.news.yahoo.com/naked-men-who-got-lost-being-chased-deer-fined-1000-034130687.html

"startled by a deer"??

bambi's mom or dad never scared anyone around here.  what kind of deer are we talking about?
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93116 on: June 28, 2021, 12:34:34 pm »
I got fucked up by a deer once. I’d be startled. Got headbutted then kicked. Don’t fuck with nature.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #93117 on: June 28, 2021, 12:40:50 pm »

"startled by a deer"??

bambi's mom or dad never scared anyone around here.  what kind of deer are we talking about?

A few hundred kg of Sambar with antlers is best avoided. Not sure what Southern NSW has as ferals but I have come across several hiking a bit West of there and make a bit of noise providing you have tree to get behind if needed.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93118 on: June 28, 2021, 12:52:31 pm »
I got fucked up by a deer once. I’d be startled. Got headbutted then kicked. Don’t fuck with nature.

Father got a scratch on his back when a deer in Bushy Park decided to use its antlers.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93119 on: June 28, 2021, 01:04:20 pm »

They’re both dead, one from being shot and one from the plague so the quotes are ironic no less  :-DD

"Ehhh... you've got ta die of sumthin'."   ~me

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #93120 on: June 28, 2021, 01:04:56 pm »
Fenton will take care of those nasty deer for you.

Yes bd, I know you posted this once before.  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93121 on: June 28, 2021, 01:19:13 pm »
uncle bob lives in one of the wild counties west of blue mountain.

once as a joke (or maybe on a bet) he actually grabbed and manhandled a deer into the trunk of his car.  (not a tame deer....an actual running around in his cornfield deer).

he drove up to the barn and peeked inside the trunk.  deer kicked him in the head, knocked him out cold, and ran off.

would say he is not afraid of bambi.  also.....he is not afraid of women but probably should be  (you should have seen some of the mountain women he went out with.  talking about the kind who braid the hair in their armpits)
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93122 on: June 28, 2021, 01:23:52 pm »

"startled by a deer"??

Male red deer weigh between 160 and 240kg (that's 1/4 ton for those of you in bushel/furlong/fortnight country) and come armed:

They're a bit chunkier that what you 'merkins think of as deer, more the size of an elk or small moose. Not something to get on the wrong side of.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93123 on: June 28, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »
ok.  nuff said.  uncle bob would not have gotten that bastard in the trunk.
free range primate

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93124 on: June 28, 2021, 02:49:53 pm »

"startled by a deer"??

Male red deer weigh between 160 and 240kg (that's 1/4 ton for those of you in bushel/furlong/fortnight country) and come armed:

They're a bit chunkier that what you 'merkins think of as deer, more the size of an elk or small moose. Not something to get on the wrong side of.

Muntjac? that an't no deer, this is a deer....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf