Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18111820 times)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91750 on: May 31, 2021, 07:35:42 pm »
That's just cool:

Stuff made here - Unpickable locks

Picked in seconds ...

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, syau

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #91751 on: May 31, 2021, 08:07:59 pm »
The Type 454 PSU re-cap saga....

The A Sweep/Trigger board is moved out of way. Lots of pictures regarding the perimeter connections plus the excellent wiring pictorial. There are 4 cans to be removed with new caps on terminal strips. But it's going to be very tight and precise work.

In the meantime pulling out the other Type 454 and going to start pulling parts for Oculus and packing them for shipment. Not sure if I have a big enough box.  :o ;D

J/K.  :P :-DD 

LOL

Interesting pic of that area...I had wondered where the rectifiers got stuffed. I gotta say the 500 series lab scopes, despite their size and weight, are a helluva lot easier to work on.  :-DD

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #91752 on: May 31, 2021, 08:24:37 pm »
Some results from testing radio clocks, OCXO and software based control loops ...

One of these has one of the CTI OCXOs ingested, the others run on the original design TXCO, slightly improved by a more stable control voltage. The flat box on top of the rightmost unit is a simple GPS module providing a PPS to one of the radio clocks.

This is the frequency counter and the data logger pushing the data to TimescaleDB (some Postgresql based DB server intended for time series data).

This one (a GPSDO assembled by forum member roadrunner) provides the reference clock

The result:

Green trace: Phase deviation of the received DCF77 signal over time. Note the unstable signal during the night time, cause by direct / ionosphere reflected signal fading. At about 15:00, one can notice large phase errors, this is caused by temporary transmitter shutdown (no signal at all, causing random phase values).

Yellow trace: Absolute time deviation of the GPS PPS controlled OCXO PPS output vs. the original GPS PPS output

Red trace: OCXO frequency over time

Looking at the frequency alone, it looks quite good (0.001Hz equals 1E-10 or 0.1ppb), but +/- 500ns over the day still has some room for improvement. Looks like it's caused by the integral part of the control loop.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:36:53 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, DC1MC, mansaxel, Bad_Driver

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91753 on: May 31, 2021, 08:29:17 pm »
Seriously why the hell is this hp 410 making over $1000?  :palm:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224475186137

David

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91754 on: May 31, 2021, 08:58:07 pm »

Hmmm... IME, at least over here, those usually have a hemispherical bronze seat ring and the opposing surface is  tapered/conical.

This one's steel all through. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, though. I think I did miss a few degrees
on the straightness, and that will punish, harshly.  Also, is fixable.
For unions with a spherical mating face some misalignment is not an issue whereas for washer sealing Mac unions it is. If an Oring can be used you may be able to suffer some misalignment as your pressures are hardly challenging.

I have a 2" Mac union under ~7 atm with ~10o misalignment and it needs be quite tight (2' Stilson tight) for it not to weep.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #91755 on: May 31, 2021, 09:48:38 pm »

David

Missing the leather carry strap, rebuild fail.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91756 on: May 31, 2021, 11:20:49 pm »
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XTCBD5Y/

I don't think these will fit my RC cars...  :-\

In all honesty, I didn't think they would... but when I tripped over the assortment on amazon for $6, my first thought was: "Now you know about them; if you don't get them, you'll need one like your life depended on it in a month and they'll be long gone."

Now I'll probably need like one of 'em before I die... but I'll have it. Probably won't be able to lay paws on it, just like the red kit... but I'll have it. :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:23:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #91757 on: June 01, 2021, 12:26:30 am »
To offset this (minor) disappointment, an order from Aliexpress found its way to me .... finally.  A bulk order of 50 of these (in a mix of colours) that should see me out for the foreseeable future (and then some):

I'd love to order a batch of these. Any chance you'd still have the link to the specific item handy? Unfortunately searching for "banana plug socket" on aliexpress turns up about 1,947,324,000 items...  :--

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #91758 on: June 01, 2021, 12:44:56 am »
Ooooooooooh, I need one of those small o ring kits, joins the other kits of parts, cotter pins, screws etc 😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91759 on: June 01, 2021, 01:25:48 am »
To offset this (minor) disappointment, an order from Aliexpress found its way to me .... finally.  A bulk order of 50 of these (in a mix of colours) that should see me out for the foreseeable future (and then some):

I'd love to order a batch of these. Any chance you'd still have the link to the specific item handy? Unfortunately searching for "banana plug socket" on aliexpress turns up about 1,947,324,000 items...  :--

Search for "M5 type binding posts".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91760 on: June 01, 2021, 01:38:21 am »

Last time I ordered these was from evilbay. Aliexpress's search SUCKS more than SMF's native one does here  :horse:

add 10pcs into your search so like this listing eBay auction: #153431509958
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91761 on: June 01, 2021, 01:46:34 am »

vroom-vroom.  ;D

We've had them what... 4 days? And I've already spent $150 on extra batteries & upgrades.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:55:23 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91762 on: June 01, 2021, 03:19:53 am »
Ehhhh... it's just another fuckkin' ugly scope from the caveman days. Who fucking cares...?    >:D

mnem
Yes, I would dump a jar of scorpions out in a lifeboat just to see who could swim...

Wash yo mouf out Dwagon!

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #91763 on: June 01, 2021, 03:22:08 am »

vroom-vroom.  ;D

We've had them what... 4 days? And I've already spent $150 on extra batteries & upgrades.  :palm:

mnem

That is my fear ....  :scared:

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91764 on: June 01, 2021, 04:02:45 am »
Well, half of that was batteries (which I did fully expect to have to buy; one set of batteries is not reasonable) at Amazon prices, just so I could get them before the summer is over. The other half was because while I was shopping TomTop in hopes of batteries (they evidently don't ship Li-xx batteries to Canada) I found my favorite surface pistol-grip TX on sale for $25, so of course had to get upgrade parts to go with for to make shipping more palatable. :P

https://neotilsblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/flysky-gt3b-hack/

FS-GT3B Modded Firmware Manual

mnem
That grassy hill isn't the only slippery slope in the picture...  :scared:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:31:06 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91765 on: June 01, 2021, 05:50:54 am »

There are numerous sellers offering these (or ones that look like these) and the pricing per unit can vary - but the shipping costs can also vary.  I went through a couple of dozen stores checking out the price + postage for the 50 I had in mind.  For this many, the variations of item price and shipping were usually complementary, with the total cost being fairly similar.  There were some where the automatically calculated shipping cost was stupidly high, but I found one that was a little better than most - and that's who I went with:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002376851939.html

It cost me AUD$44.77 (including GST) for 50 of them delivered.
FYI - this is what I ordered:
14xRed
14xBlack
10xGreen
  6xYellow
  6xBlue
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:01:20 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, mindcrime

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91766 on: June 01, 2021, 06:49:03 am »

David

Missing the leather carry strap, rebuild fail.

:wtf: it looks pretty but not original (different tubes) and the calibration? "Calibrated on a 117VAC mains voltage and functions great on all ranges."   :palm:
Only 3 bidders but the current winning bidder has already increased on his winning bid!

Madness.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #91767 on: June 01, 2021, 07:12:22 am »

I'm using google to search within AliExpress, like this:

Code: [Select]
banana socket binding post site:aliexpress.com
Example:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91768 on: June 01, 2021, 07:13:46 am »

David

Time for a new term of endearment 'Vomophool'  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91769 on: June 01, 2021, 07:48:25 am »
More TEA
I put a low bid on a Rockland /Wavetek Model 442 dual high/low pass filter last night. Ended up winning it for £4.30 and £7 postage  :)
It looks a bit grubby, is only 2 digit frequency selection (452 is 3 digit), I don't need it but when did that stop me us  :-DD

Also bid on and won this:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrical-Tester-Equipment-/224473233293?
which seems to be a homebrew switched resistor load bank. What most people don't seem to have noticed is the "bonus" box with a Fluke 8022B, 500/1000V insulation (+AC volts) tester and a coupl of electrical instaltion testers. I'll flip the metrotest kit and maybe even get my £23.45 back.

Oh and the 31st of May has passed, I haven't registered a bank account with ebay but it still let me list an item this morning.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #91770 on: June 01, 2021, 09:49:12 am »
:wtf: it looks pretty but not original (different tubes) and the calibration? "Calibrated on a 117VAC mains voltage and functions great on all ranges."   :palm:
Only 3 bidders but the current winning bidder has already increased on his winning bid!

Madness.

The calibration and adjustment   >:D part of the manual does talk about the mains voltage feeding the VTVM being somewhat important, which is why they say one should try to calibrate in typical conditions. It's not like there's a linear regulator in-line for the anode voltage  :)

Other than that, yes, that's a mad price. And I say that as owner of three VTVM, a 410b being one of them.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91771 on: June 01, 2021, 10:04:42 am »

Madness.

The calibration and adjustment   >:D part of the manual does talk about the mains voltage feeding the VTVM being somewhat important, which is why they say one should try to calibrate in typical conditions. It's not like there's a linear regulator in-line for the anode voltage  :)

Other than that, yes, that's a mad price. And I say that as owner of three VTVM, a 410b being one of them.

While the manual does say to calibrate at typical line voltage The specification is goood for +_ 10% variation of line voltage.

There IS a linear regulator for the anode voltage, V4, an OB2 provides regulated 105V DC for the critical circuits including the differential amplifier.  >:D

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91772 on: June 01, 2021, 10:52:57 am »
"Ehhhh... it's just another fuckkin' ugly scope from the caveman days. Who fucking cares...?    >:D

mnem
Yes, I would dump a jar of scorpions out in a lifeboat just to see who could swim...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:46:26 pm by mnementh »
"

I do,

Frans
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:55:05 am by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91773 on: June 01, 2021, 11:00:43 am »
I cant believe someone threw this in the metal waste bin, from where I rescued it. Thankfully the VFD isnt damaged, quick wipedown and then a rough test > seems to be working.

PS: Except current, fails 600.1 and 600.2
Nice bit of dumpster diving, well done  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91774 on: June 01, 2021, 11:56:25 am »
I don't have dumpsters of that caliber anywhere around me - that I know of.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf