Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17475730 times)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91425 on: May 23, 2021, 07:25:34 pm »
Hey... When I'm on keto, I get a day off every two weeks (if I don't cheat like a dumbass); I've got some deprivation to make up for.  >:D Also, the boi is a worse cream cheese addict than I am... there's no doubt he's a Polack. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Here, I'm raising a family of Gruyère addicts. Also, we're very, very fond of Labneh, both the DIY version (thick yoghurt, like 10%, on a plate with sea salt and olive oil, and bread to dip) and the storebought balls of soft cheese in oil. IME it beats the shit outta Philly and similar.

I've got two bits of ripe Gruyère in the fridge, so ripe that the store had marked them down... They won't live long.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91426 on: May 23, 2021, 07:40:50 pm »
New video from "The Signal Path" about the Siglent SSG5060X-V signal generator:

For something from Siglent that has a surprising lack of ugly to it. I haven't looked any closer to see if the control layout make sense, but aesthetically it's a step up for Siglent.

The price is also a step up at 16000$US. But still cheaper than similar offer from Keysight.

On the same note, Shahriar lab's is starting to be quite impressive. He probably has multiples 100k$ worth of equipment in there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 07:54:53 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #91427 on: May 23, 2021, 08:16:58 pm »
assembled the exercise bike.
Did my 7.5 km round today.

Nice, here is my ride yesterday;

https://www.strava.com/activities/5340970475

actually, I did my round on foot.

Need to increase my training regime. Want to shed another 2 kg until end of the week.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91428 on: May 23, 2021, 08:37:47 pm »
New video from "The Signal Path" about the Siglent SSG5060X-V signal generator:

For something from Siglent that has a surprising lack of ugly to it. I haven't looked any closer to see if the control layout make sense, but aesthetically it's a step up for Siglent.
::)
Little brother SSG3000X of identical design has been around since late 2018.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssg3000x-series-rf-signal-generators/
I have the 2.1 GHz model improved to 3.2 .....  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91429 on: May 23, 2021, 08:38:45 pm »
assembled the exercise bike.
Did my 7.5 km round today.

Nice, here is my ride yesterday;

https://www.strava.com/activities/5340970475

actually, I did my round on foot.

Need to increase my training regime. Want to shed another 2 kg until end of the week.

I did my rounds on foot yesterday too. Pushing a fukkin' lawnmower.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91431 on: May 24, 2021, 12:13:09 am »

Oh, it's not like I don't need the exercise. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ride a bike or summat*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #91432 on: May 24, 2021, 02:54:09 am »
So 12W not 30W then  ::) What sort of voltage in the board putting out to the LED?
Dunno didn't check and after posting hoped no one would ask.  :palm:
Back together again with temp strain relief in the form of a cable tie inside the case which needs something better and might be a small cable gland if I can make one fit.

Still have Dad's old hunting 30W spot somewhere used to work fine out to sensible Bunny blasting range with open sights.
Yes 30W incandescent is fine for most 22 work but the longer and brighter beam of this LED can spot stuff at 3x the range so saves some walking but these days we mainly spot from an ATV so to cover lots of ground with much less effort and time.

I'd resisted going to LED spotlights until I spotted this nice 30W compact one which will work fine for possum and rabbit work as we're not using extreme range spotlights and centerfires like you chaps do for roos.
While they are not cheap, NZ makes an absolutely cracking hot (literally and figuratively) mountain bike headlight, the Gloworm XSV, over 3000 lumen, with temp control, battery, remote control etc and you can change the light spread pattern to match what you want. Waterproof, rugged, really well made, with lots of mounting options via a gopro type mount. About 420 Aussie $.

LOL, when tautech was shopping around, I suggested a different model but similar mountain bike light.
That was quickly followed up by a never-mind.  Bike light prices over here went crazy with the current stay at home fadrequirement...

EDIT:  all this talk about bikes and exercise is putting me to shame.  It's not like I have a lack of bicycles.  At least fluffy wolf dog is getting me out for a short run every day...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 03:06:45 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91433 on: May 24, 2021, 03:56:18 am »
So 12W not 30W then  ::) What sort of voltage in the board putting out to the LED?
Dunno didn't check and after posting hoped no one would ask.  :palm:
Back together again with temp strain relief in the form of a cable tie inside the case which needs something better and might be a small cable gland if I can make one fit.

Still have Dad's old hunting 30W spot somewhere used to work fine out to sensible Bunny blasting range with open sights.
Yes 30W incandescent is fine for most 22 work but the longer and brighter beam of this LED can spot stuff at 3x the range so saves some walking but these days we mainly spot from an ATV so to cover lots of ground with much less effort and time.

I'd resisted going to LED spotlights until I spotted this nice 30W compact one which will work fine for possum and rabbit work as we're not using extreme range spotlights and centerfires like you chaps do for roos.
While they are not cheap, NZ makes an absolutely cracking hot (literally and figuratively) mountain bike headlight, the Gloworm XSV, over 3000 lumen, with temp control, battery, remote control etc and you can change the light spread pattern to match what you want. Waterproof, rugged, really well made, with lots of mounting options via a gopro type mount. About 420 Aussie $.

LOL, when tautech was shopping around, I suggested a different model but similar mountain bike light.
That was quickly followed up by a never-mind.  Bike light prices over here went crazy with the current stay at home fadrequirement...
Still the one I got wasn't too badly priced at 55 NZD as they were discounted a bit at the time. That's about as much as I was prepared to shell out without seeing one in the flesh and all lit up and primary requirement was externally powered. Start looking for such a beast externally powered and compact and there ain't many to chose from.
It has lived up to expectations but as to if it will last decades as our 30W incandescent's have IDK.  :-//
In 45 years of spotlighting only one 30W sealed beam had ever failed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91434 on: May 24, 2021, 06:55:23 am »
Tangentially TEA - sort of.  ;) Hardwood veneered beaver puke core 'free' samples for storing current job bits on the bench. Blackwood, Jarrah, Eucalyptus. Myrtle & Walnut. I remember why I hate laser cutting MDF it stinks and carbons up everything.

Not glued yet but now I have fixed my stupid of yesterday and added the correct kerf fudge (0.2mm) they slide into place and hold without the need for an attitude adjustment.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #91435 on: May 24, 2021, 08:14:53 am »
nice widlarizer, Bean! :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91436 on: May 24, 2021, 12:42:11 pm »
Sometimes the threat of the Hammer is sufficient to make things fit or work appropriately yesterday a firm tappity tap tap got it done  ;) The difference in 0.1mm per face on just the Lid and Base even in this soft materiel matters.

Even I cant bring myself to suggest @Brumby (not that far from him) should chase this poor orphan, no probes and already done to death by likely any trash handheld gimmick scope on evilbay is it already over priced at $0.99  :o eBay auction: #203469404981

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:14:23 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91437 on: May 24, 2021, 02:45:28 pm »
I'd give $5-10 for it just to turn it into a junction tester, or to pull the guts out for inclusion in some steampunk toy. Would also be a guilt-free path to making one of those CRT clock kits. :-//

mnem
*fun & games for the feeble-minded...*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:47:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91438 on: May 24, 2021, 02:58:43 pm »
Sometimes the threat of the Hammer is sufficient to make things fit or work appropriately yesterday a firm tappity tap tap got it done  ;) The difference in 0.1mm per face on just the Lid and Base even in this soft materiel matters.

Even I cant bring myself to suggest @Brumby (not that far from him) should chase this poor orphan, no probes and already done to death by likely any trash handheld gimmick scope on evilbay is it already over priced at $0.99  :o eBay auction: #203469404981

The oval knobs are impressive!  ;D
All levity aside, it looks similar to the single channel version I have.

Quite a while back I bought it to help troubleshoot my BWD 'scope, which had faulty triggering.
It worked, & I found the fault.

The hard bit then, was getting into the congested "guts" of the BWD to replace a 200 k \$\Omega\$ resistor that had decided it wanted to be 1.5 M \$\Omega\$ instead.

Apart from the tiny screen, & the fact it looked like it was meant to be operated by "Cabbage Patch" dolls, the little 'scope was just as capable as the BWD, so that got "chucked in the shed" & left for a later date.

The wee beastie was my main, & only 'scope for some time, till I picked up my Tek 7613 from a hamfest.

The single channel analog Digitech, in my opinion will "run rings around" all the little "pretend" handheld 'scopes you will find, for one reason:-

"Subterranean level" DSOs of that type have the same silly problems that bedevilled early DSOs from more legitimate manufacturers, which are, lack of memory, & catastrophically reduced sample rates at long time/div settings, causing horrific aliasing.

The little analogs may only have a 10MHz "3 dB down point", but it remains the same, whatever the time/div setting.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 03:02:05 pm by vk6zgo »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91439 on: May 24, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »

The 99 cents I could spare.  The drive there and back would be the deal killer ... unless I happened to be in the area.  No plans for that - so unlikely.

But I have added it to my watch list to see how it goes.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91440 on: May 24, 2021, 04:49:29 pm »
actually, if shipping was not such a pain, I would go for it ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91441 on: May 24, 2021, 06:15:22 pm »

There's another value to these cheap analog scopes from decades past... they're the perfect tool to use when you want to do something dangerous & stoopit, so you don't risk a good scope. They've got them worked out to a point where they've been empirically whittled down to just the bare essentials; almost entirely made of off-the-shelf components, and as such they're usually much more robust than they should be, while also being almost endlessly repairable.

They're like "the perfect henchman" for your workbench.   >:D

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #91442 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:08 pm »
The Type 454 that I featured yesterday has a BOM prepared and ready to be sent in for a re-cap of the PSU.

And just for fun I tossed the other one with no trace on the bench and gave it a once over. Look what I found on the PSU Regulator board. A fuzzy electrolytic. Tomorrow I'll pull the board and see if I have something in stock to replace it and give it power again.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91443 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:52 pm »
Wow, is that crusty capacitor there a wet tant?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #91444 on: May 24, 2021, 09:26:33 pm »
Wow, is that crusty capacitor there a wet tant?

Nope. The 454 has no tants at all.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91445 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:20 pm »
I'm old & crusty and I don't have wet tants either.  :P

mnem
*looks down* Wait... yes I do. fuck. :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91446 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:37 pm »

mnem

Pants, that's pants. [Walks away muttering "Bloody Noah Webster! One man's twisted campaign to destroy the ability of an entire nation to spell!"]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91447 on: May 24, 2021, 10:43:10 pm »
It's been unusually quiet here the last week or so. Also, BD139's been hor de combat for just over a week. Coincidence, correlation, or causality? Just saying...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #91448 on: May 24, 2021, 10:52:20 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91449 on: May 24, 2021, 11:12:25 pm »

mnem

Pants, that's pants. [Walks away muttering "Bloody Noah Webster! One man's twisted campaign to destroy the ability of an entire nation to spell!"]

Maybe it was just a pypo.  >:D

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf