Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104322 times)

Robert763, Vince, timeandfrequency, Messiah and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91325 on: May 21, 2021, 04:20:31 pm »
I may have just bought a Tesla.

Yeah.

A corpse?

Or some magnetic field?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)

If about 40µT is enough, you don't have to buy it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:24:10 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #91326 on: May 21, 2021, 04:36:39 pm »
Like these?

Am I the only person that looks at that and thinks "that's just wrong" ?

It is quite useful. My present portable AF oscillator is a Fostex TT15, and it's got RCA out. With a BNC adapter, you're good to go.

Apart from that, RCA connectors only have virtue as "better than some others" (like the Belling-Lee). Much prefer the XLR, with a good pair cable. In them I like Mogami, Sommer, and the HST-M that Canford have sourced. Monster is just fooling nervous musicians, a particularly strange kind of 'phool. 

If one needs RCA, it is worth going to the trouble of buying Neutrik "Profi" RCAs and to connect them with RG62 or similar. Now that's a hifi cable much better than most audiophools crap.  I have a pair of such "interconnects" (fancy audiophool name for "short audio cable") that I've made myself, and they are both sturdy and have survived for some time. No problems with sound either -- as a matter of opinion (no facts here) I much prefer them to cheap "stereo" cable.

Of course they're insanely expensive (not compared to 'phool stuff though), but they're good enough for me, and very easy to work with.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #91327 on: May 21, 2021, 04:37:35 pm »

Yeah.

A corpse?

Or some magnetic field?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)

Some magnetics fields are involved, sure. And I'm told to trunk easily holds one or two corpses.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91328 on: May 21, 2021, 04:38:23 pm »
And now for something completely... ON TOPIC!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JLCWF5H/

Speaking of weird adapterrzz; these finally arrived after almost 2 weeks. Not gonna quibble, as they were only CAD$15.27 for the set. Quality of manufacture appears even better than the stock photos above:

I really don't know why I even bothered to take a pic myself.  :P All the pins & sockets are properly machined and slotted, and Au-plating also appears of good quality. :-+

At first glance these would appear to be a bit of a bastard child, as the air dielectric suggests 75Ω rather than 50Ω version. However, the center pin is the larger ~1.7mm diameter as is used for 50Ω.  ??? Since the jacks on my TinySA are constructed exactly the same, I can only guess that this is just a matter of evolution of how this connector is commonly used...?  :-//

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:42:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91329 on: May 21, 2021, 04:41:53 pm »
And now for something completely... ON TOPIC!!!

The Tesla indicates the outside temperature and is therefore a perfectly valid entry in any Test & Measurement discussion.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91330 on: May 21, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »
I meant ON TOPIC! as compared to what I usually post, but sure... I guess I should say "Thanks!" for taking the blame...?  :-DD

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:51:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #91331 on: May 21, 2021, 04:51:40 pm »

Yeah.

You obviously need to give your fellow TEA crowd better discounts.  :-DD

Congratulations, though. I think the Tesla is a groundbreaking vehicle and its appearance on the auto stage is catalytic for the rest of the manufacturers, as can be witnessed by the launch of the electric F-150 recently.

Regarding cars, I just agreed to buy a "new" car -- this time a 2007 Volvo V70. Low mileage, one owner, well kept (good service record) and in general what I feel is a very good deal. The used cars market here has gone crazy since noone wants to use public transport ATM so I was originally expecting to keep the present one for another year, and nurse it over 400000 km. Now I'm going to fix it up, get it MOT'd and flip it.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91332 on: May 21, 2021, 04:51:54 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91333 on: May 21, 2021, 04:54:05 pm »

Yeah.

Yeah, uhmm.. It's, erhhh... complicated?

That said, though, it's mostly the freelancing that's gonna pick up the bill here. Fun fact: at the end of it's life, it will have cost me roughly the same as my current C4 Picasso.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91334 on: May 21, 2021, 05:06:24 pm »
Plus getting to drive the carpool lane is nice. I've gotten in the habit of bringing my son along as immoral support whenever I have to go downtown for the same reason. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91335 on: May 21, 2021, 05:16:45 pm »
On Coaxial adaptors I have several Greenpar "interseries" kits incliding the big 100 plus part one in a metal case that was made for the UK military. Plus a whole bunch of odd extra individual ones.
On RCA / Phono leads I was once with my rother who was buying  AV amplifier from Richer Sounds. They were trying to sell him a "Digital" lead for the S/PDIF. I said a normal video one was OK. They stop arguing when I stated talking about datarates and propagation delay on a 1m cable....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91336 on: May 21, 2021, 05:19:51 pm »
Plus getting to drive the carpool lane is nice. I've gotten in the habit of bringing my son along as immoral support whenever I have to go downtown for the same reason. ;)

mnem

Not many carpool lanes in the UK.  did consider buying a SIII Landrover LWB Station Wagon a couple of years ago. With 12 seats you can drive it in the Bus lanes in Cambridge (UK). Some one has to use them, the buses seem to avoid going in them  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91337 on: May 21, 2021, 05:21:32 pm »

Yeah.

That said, though, it's mostly the freelancing that's gonna pick up the bill here. Fun fact: at the end of it's life, it will have cost me roughly the same as my current C4 Picasso.
Err, yeah, but the C4 Picasso has a much greater TEA carrying capacity  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91338 on: May 21, 2021, 05:24:56 pm »

Yeah.

Well, the trunk space isn't all that bad. I feel slightly less inclined to toss a heavy boat anchor in it, though. The Citroen has lived through trunks full of heavy, sharp gear and loads and loads of building and DIY supplies. Don't see myself treating the Tesla the same way...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #91339 on: May 21, 2021, 05:49:51 pm »
Here they are. The Type 454 twins. Dirty and beat up. The top one is missing plug on power cord so I can't power it up. Supposedly has a sweep issue. The left handle adjust is bent and jammed so can't move the carry handle.

The bottom one powered up with fan rubbing against something and no trace on either channel 1 or channel 2 but beam find does work. Good sign that HV is OK.

Good intent is to get both working but I suspect it's going to be one good and one a parts unit. That's OK. They will be going to the top of the projects and the Type 547 will be on hold.

Teardown later.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91340 on: May 21, 2021, 06:06:47 pm »

If anybody needs some in that strength I have an almost inexhaustible supply of jars full of it, and if you'd rather buy in bulk, I have several large boxes full.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91341 on: May 21, 2021, 06:10:38 pm »

Yeah.

Well, the trunk space isn't all that bad. I feel slightly less inclined to toss a heavy boat anchor in it, though. The Citroen has lived through trunks full of heavy, sharp gear and loads and loads of building and DIY supplies. Don't see myself treating the Tesla the same way...

Yes, but the Tesla can power your gear with line voltage directly. And then some.  >:D

mnem
 :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #91342 on: May 21, 2021, 06:27:27 pm »
The top one is missing plug on power cord so I can't power it up.

You need one of those. Everyone does.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #91343 on: May 21, 2021, 07:27:03 pm »
Type 454 teardown. All discrete. No IC's or hybrids. Combination of vacuum tube nuvistor and transistor.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91344 on: May 21, 2021, 08:33:21 pm »

mnem

Not many carpool lanes in the UK.  did consider buying a SIII Landrover LWB Station Wagon a couple of years ago. With 12 seats you can drive it in the Bus lanes in Cambridge (UK). Some one has to use them, the buses seem to avoid going in them  :palm:

Yebbutt... don't you still have to be carrying passengers...? :o

mnem
*suddenly imagining Weekend at Bernie's12...*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91345 on: May 21, 2021, 08:46:56 pm »

If anybody needs some in that strength I have an almost inexhaustible supply of jars full of it, and if you'd rather buy in bulk, I have several large boxes full.
*plonks down a shilling and starts to sing...*

"When gravity fails, and negativity don't pull you through..."

mnem
"...don't be putting on airs when you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue.
They got some hungry women,
and they'll really make a mess outta you...."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91347 on: May 21, 2021, 08:48:55 pm »

mnem

Yebbutt... don't you still have to be carrying passengers...? :o

mnem
*suddenly imagining Weekend at Bernie's12...*
Apparently not, I think that as long as the vehicle is either a bus/coach or a taxi then you can use the bus lanes. Who's to know if you're on your way to picking up some passengers?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #91348 on: May 21, 2021, 08:48:59 pm »
It's like having a nice cable with XLR connectors on the end, then sticking 1/8" jack adapters on the ends. Just doesn't feel right...

Or like making a cheese ploughmans sandwich with Kraft cheese slices...

Sometimes you need strange adaptors like that.

When the sound quality of domestic stuff became comparable with Broadcast equipment, many times, it was the cheapest way to supply something like a standby voice announcement.

Broadcasters often did use just such "brute force" connections from the outputs of the "domestic" device into audio distribution amplifiers which were designed for 600 Ohm balanced audio.

It was a little "sick making" when I first saw it done, but it worked, & providing you used it with care, worked well!

The cable between the two would often have to plug into a 1/8" jack on one end, & an XLR type socket at the other.

About the "ploughman's sandwich".

When I first went to the UK, I had heard much about the famed "ploughman's lunch", so was eager to try it.
It arrived on a smallish plate------a "buttered bun", a slab of "mousetrap" cheese, & a pickled onion!

A bit underwhelming, in my humble opinion.

It didn't get better when I ate it, either------I had severe indigestion the rest of the day!

Oh dear... that is not a proper "Ploughman's Lunch". As ever, if you go to the wrong shop, you'll end up buying trash.

A proper one would be rough cut freshly baked white bread, spread with freshly churned butter, and containing mature cheddar, and sliced onion on the side. For me it must also have fresh lettuce, and tomato. Mostly you'll find brown bread with cheese, tomato, lettuce, and "Ploughman's Pickle" which is a Heinz contrivance.
A good sandwich shop/pub/cafe will make it with the best quality ingredients, though they'll still use Heinz Pickle.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91349 on: May 21, 2021, 09:05:12 pm »
7 weeks to arrive  :o and it's first job was to spot a fat rabbit for the cat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001192693767.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.0.0.753b202ejrnDRY&gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=51f62a21-8dc7-4553-b3f2-974825527608

Didja burn yerself on the damned thing yet...?  ;)

mnem
tssssst...
:)
No tssssst yet but only had it ON for a minute or 2 and didn't notice it getting warm as forgot to check until you reminded me just now.  :palm:
But that's a good excuse for a longer venture tonight to find and drill  >:D some of Bean's furry vermin providing the predicted shitty weather doesn't turn up and spoil the fun.
http://metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzni&noofdays=10#

It's got a bit smaller spot than we're used to but certainly not too small to be a very useful hunting spotlight and with a good bit more range than our old 4" 30W sealed beam but trying to do a current draw on it last night with the Fluke failed as the new LED light's inverter didn't like the Fluke being in series.   :-//
Need to wire it directly to one of our PSU's with a full output readout to see the current consumption.

Off now to charge the 12V Li jump pack to full tssssst  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf