Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104324 times)

Robert763, Vince, timeandfrequency, Messiah and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91300 on: May 21, 2021, 02:42:39 am »
On the subject of water, can I suggest we revert back to the context of laser cutter cooling and take the discussion here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/mechanical-engineering/the-k40-laser-cutterengraver-my-journey-into-the-laser-world/

Sorting out relevant details from the preceding is more of a challenge than is helpful.

Thank you.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #91301 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:35 am »

Some DIN connectors are less crappy then others.
Binder and Lumberg have them in a screw-locked version and Preh makes them with a so-called Renkverschluss (simplified bayonet). Those tend to have good quality contacts and isolators too, which will not deform when soldered and they  are reusable if handled properly.

Oh, indeed! The screw-locked ones were common here on small analog UHF contribution radio links, for the microphone input, because they have better HF shielding than a then-standard XLR. Now there's a number of RF-improved XLRen that would most likely suffice.  The Renkverschluss was common on analog dimmer packs.

Of those, I prefer the screw locked ones, by far.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91302 on: May 21, 2021, 09:10:34 am »
During the late 60s and the early 70s DIN connectors seemed to be the thing here. RCA connectors only really took off here as relatively cheap hi-fi separates, mostly Japanese imports, started filling the market up. European and UK manufactured stuff stuck with DIN connectors pro tem, and by the time the late 70s rolled around had almost disappeared in favour of RCA connectors. I don't recall seeing a Belling-Lee (except as an AM aerial socket) on new gear after the mid seventies, and DIN connectors were a rarity post 1980.
This most closely describes my experience.  I can't really speak to the 50's era as I wasn't old enough to notice.  I only started getting into electronics in the mid 60's.

In the very late '50s, & early '60s, there was still a lot of 1950s stuff around, as it was after all, only ten or so years old.
40s & even '30s gear popped up in the Radio Workshop at my first job.
They even fixed a "Mulgaphone" on one occasion!

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mulga_d.html

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #91303 on: May 21, 2021, 10:29:48 am »
Re the RCA socket, I must admit to being quite fond of them really despite being bloody cheap, pretty flimsily made but I have found them to be really good at the job of connecting 'HiFi' components together - I can't recall ever having a 'bad connection' despite hurried connection reaching out of view and a truck load of dust.
For me this is rather odd as I generally despise 'value engineering' but the RCA got it pretty close to right. I have had many times the issues with pl259, BNCs. I have had a few issues with xlr but blame the idiot who didn't put it together properly (moi 🙄)

Ns, 4mm banana, triax and SMAs I have had a good run with.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:34:16 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91305 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:57 am »

Some DIN connectors are less crappy then others.
Binder and Lumberg have them in a screw-locked version and Preh makes them with a so-called Renkverschluss (simplified bayonet). Those tend to have good quality contacts and isolators too, which will not deform when soldered and they  are reusable if handled properly.

Oh, indeed! The screw-locked ones were common here on small analog UHF contribution radio links, for the microphone input, because they have better HF shielding than a then-standard XLR. Now there's a number of RF-improved XLRen that would most likely suffice.  The Renkverschluss was common on analog dimmer packs.

Of those, I prefer the screw locked ones, by far.

The screw locked DIN connectors are used quite a bit on TE. Most notable is their use for RF power sensors
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-connectors/1705508/

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91306 on: May 21, 2021, 12:14:52 pm »
Re the RCA socket, I must admit to being quite fond of them really despite being bloody cheap, pretty flimsily made but I have found them to be really good at the job of connecting 'HiFi' components together - I can't recall ever having a 'bad connection' despite hurried connection reaching out of view and a truck load of dust.
For me this is rather odd as I generally despise 'value engineering' but the RCA got it pretty close to right. I have had many times the issues with pl259, BNCs. I have had a few issues with xlr but blame the idiot who didn't put it together properly (moi 🙄)

Ns, 4mm banana, triax and SMAs I have had a good run with.

When I was still working at the TV studio, we had a couple of "all in one" video projector/screen combos, which we loaned out to various deserving organisations, along with a VCR.
Both devices had mono sound, with RCA sockets for audio, & BNC for video.

Whenever they were needed, it was easy to dig up a properly crimped 75 Ohm BNC video lead of the appropriate length, but the audio ones had usually either disappeared, or been damaged since the previous loan.

As they normally needed to be relatively long, "ready made" leads from Jaycar or whatever, were no good, & repair of the existing damaged ones usually excessively time consuming, the default was to make up new ones locally for each loan.

Our standard "shielded twin conductor" audio cable, although quite thin, was still a bit hard to terminate in the "El Cheapo" RCA connectors commonly available, & we didn't use the single shielded stuff enough elsewhere to warrant buying a reel.

The result was always a job that no one was satisfied with, burnt up man-hours for no financial return, & if it survived the loan, would be chucked into a box of other audio leads, where it would, as said before, often disappear.

We got sick of this, & noting that the RCA sockets on both devices were quite rugged, so would survive the extra mass of the coax, bought in some BNC to RCA adaptors

Now, we only had to supply 2 "video" cables, fit the adaptors to one set, & had a much more reliable setup.(to audio, the video coax was just "shielded single conductor cable".)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #91307 on: May 21, 2021, 12:51:33 pm »
Like these?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #91308 on: May 21, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »
Like these?

Am I the only person that looks at that and thinks "that's just wrong" ?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91309 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »

These have been around for decades, they make up in a jiff and they just plain work.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:24:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91310 on: May 21, 2021, 01:20:24 pm »
Like these?

When you work with gear that has RCA connectors, they come in surprisingly handy...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #91311 on: May 21, 2021, 01:20:32 pm »

I've got a few of them in my adaptors box, too. Quite useful if one e.g. wants to use an audio amplifier as part of a TEA setup, or to push audio input into some TEA.
Also got some F-BNC, quite useful if you just need a temporary F extension cable.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91312 on: May 21, 2021, 01:26:19 pm »

I've got a few of them in my adaptors box, too. Quite useful if one e.g. wants to use an audio amplifier as part of a TEA setup, or to push audio input into some TEA.
Also got some F-BNC, quite useful if you just need a temporary F extension cable.
Talking about plain wrong, I have some infamous F to SMA courtesy of aliexpress.
Edit: but they are handy  >:D

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #91313 on: May 21, 2021, 01:32:42 pm »
It's like having a nice cable with XLR connectors on the end, then sticking 1/8" jack adapters on the ends. Just doesn't feel right...

Or like making a cheese ploughmans sandwich with Kraft cheese slices...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91315 on: May 21, 2021, 02:05:14 pm »
Like these?

Why? audio doesn't care that it is coax!

There is still equipment in existence which uses RCA sockets for analog video, & sometimes, for RF.
It was very common back in BW days for the IF output connector on TV "turret tuners" in Oz to be an RCA socket.
Of course, they also used vintage style RCA plugs, like  these:

https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/PlugsandCords_1/Vintage-Style-Male-RCA-Phono-Plug-Small

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-vintage-reverb-cables-for-twin-super/

They were hard to terminate properly, but when this was done, they were remarkably good at RF.
The "El Cheapo" things these days  are most unlikely to be useable.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91316 on: May 21, 2021, 02:33:21 pm »
It's like having a nice cable with XLR connectors on the end, then sticking 1/8" jack adapters on the ends. Just doesn't feel right...

Or like making a cheese ploughmans sandwich with Kraft cheese slices...

Sometimes you need strange adaptors like that.

When the sound quality of domestic stuff became comparable with Broadcast equipment, many times, it was the cheapest way to supply something like a standby voice announcement.

Broadcasters often did use just such "brute force" connections from the outputs of the "domestic" device into audio distribution amplifiers which were designed for 600 Ohm balanced audio.

It was a little "sick making" when I first saw it done, but it worked, & providing you used it with care, worked well!

The cable between the two would often have to plug into a 1/8" jack on one end, & an XLR type socket at the other.

About the "ploughman's sandwich".

When I first went to the UK, I had heard much about the famed "ploughman's lunch", so was eager to try it.
It arrived on a smallish plate------a "buttered bun", a slab of "mousetrap" cheese, & a pickled onion!

A bit underwhelming, in my humble opinion.

It didn't get better when I ate it, either------I had severe indigestion the rest of the day!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91317 on: May 21, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »
Like these?

Why? audio doesn't care that it is coax!

There is still equipment in existence which uses RCA sockets for analog video, & sometimes, for RF.
It was very common back in BW days for the IF output connector on TV "turret tuners" in Oz to be an RCA socket.
Of course, they also used vintage style RCA plugs, like  these:

https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/PlugsandCords_1/Vintage-Style-Male-RCA-Phono-Plug-Small

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-vintage-reverb-cables-for-twin-super/

They were hard to terminate properly, but when this was done, they were remarkably good at RF.
The "El Cheapo" things these days  are most unlikely to be useable.

TV tuners did not always look like this, with the F-connector and matching network integrated inside.

The old mechanical tuners usually used RCA jacks inside the set, so for the first couple decades of their existence on TVs and VCRs, this carried over and the F connector was a pigtail instead, especially on projection sets. There would often be a matching balun inside a tin box right on the back panel. As these persisted well into the advent of cable TV those tin box/pigtails started to have MOVs inside them as well, and they were handling frequencies well into UHF. They were usually terminated exactly as in your pic; with the shield soldered to the RCA instead of crimped.

I've looked and looked but cannot find a pic of these once-ubiquitous connectors online; I literally used to have a drawer full of the things and always kept a couple of the ones for Maggot-Vox and Rotten-Crunk-America in my toolkit as they were a failure item in the early days of CATV.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:18:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91318 on: May 21, 2021, 03:17:46 pm »
Or you can have the reverse connection, love these.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91319 on: May 21, 2021, 03:25:22 pm »
*makes sign of the cross with fingers* HISSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I have no idea what you're talking aboot.  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:28:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91320 on: May 21, 2021, 03:45:34 pm »

You can't have enough adapters:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, scl, Neomys Sapiens, FransW, factory, cyclin_al, BILLPOD, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91321 on: May 21, 2021, 03:48:30 pm »

You can't have enough adapters:

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #91322 on: May 21, 2021, 03:53:43 pm »
That's the classic:

and the IBM universal business adapter:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:59:43 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #91323 on: May 21, 2021, 04:12:35 pm »

Pretty sure I have that exact cable!  :scared: :wtf: :-//

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #91324 on: May 21, 2021, 04:14:33 pm »
I may have just bought a Tesla.

Yeah.