Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103380 times)

dxl, Jambalaya and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91275 on: May 20, 2021, 08:32:11 pm »
Just wondering if there are any members here who live or work near or in Maidenhead at all, who would be willing to buy something on my behalf and then sent it to me? There is a seller there who has a rather nice analogue meter that I'd love to have to sit alongside my others, but he wants collection only and cash paid as he will not go anywhere near PayPal.  I'd go myself but for me thats around 100 to 150 mile round trip, so not really viable for a £5 meter.

If anyone could accommodate that for me, please PM me, and I'll PayPal you the money and a bit extra for your time etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91276 on: May 20, 2021, 08:36:22 pm »

They make mini-XLRs just for (nudge-nudge, wink-wink ;)) itty-bitty brains and itty-bitty fingers.  >:D

Oh, and it has to be Neutrik XLRs too, although perhaps Cannon/Amphenol can suffice for simpler use. Switchcraft did historically suffer from worn out production lines and were really bad. The ones on the picture are Chinesium copies, even worse than Switchcraft.

Small XLRs are not a match for Hirose or Lemo plugs. Sennheiser used Microdot coaxial connectors for audio in and out on their wireless microphone beltpacks, but have regressed to 3,5mm with screw lock.

"just for (nudge-nudge, wink-wink ;))" as in made just for the subject group, to maximize potential carnage in their hands.  :palm:

mnem
sarchasm: that enormous gulf between your pithy comment and those around you who just didn't get it... :o

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91277 on: May 20, 2021, 08:46:44 pm »
Just wondering if there are any members here who live or work near or in Maidenhead at all, who would be willing to buy something on my behalf and then sent it to me? There is a seller there who has a rather nice analogue meter that I'd love to have to sit alongside my others, but he wants collection only and cash paid as he will not go anywhere near PayPal.  I'd go myself but for me thats around 100 to 150 mile round trip, so not really viable for a £5 meter.

If anyone could accommodate that for me, please PM me, and I'll PayPal you the money and a bit extra for your time etc.

I think that BD is the closest to Maidenhead of our little tribe, and he's both hors de combat and not that much nearer than you are (perhaps 30 miles nearer than you are).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91278 on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »

I think that BD is the closest to Maidenhead of our little tribe, and he's both hors de combat and not that much nearer than you are (perhaps 30 miles nearer than you are).
Yep BD has too much to deal with already for a few weeks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91279 on: May 20, 2021, 09:21:19 pm »
Yep BD has too much to deal with already for a few weeks.

I did tell him that he needed a third major stressor to get the hat-trick. :) I don't think 'get this parcel' ranks high enough to be quite on par with the others.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91280 on: May 20, 2021, 09:21:32 pm »
The principal reason for a remineralizer cartridge is TASTE and if you want to accuse me of not knowing about them then you are WRONG. It is part of what I do TASTE and in particular related to Tea and Coffee water. If the water is to pure the result tastes flat. Somewhere around 50-80PPM is best for Espresso while brewed drinks generally 100-150 PPM is about right. There is Nothing psuedo scientific about this at all and involves blind tastings again as part of what I have done for Roasting and Cupping training.

Oh, look a strawman. I took no issue with what you had to say about taste, in fact I quite agree. But you set that up as a strawman argument and proceed to 'demolish' that.

Stick to the substance of my argument, not the one you've made up to replace it. How does purified water cause "gut troubles due to the pH." as you claim? In what way is that claim anything but an old wive's tale?

Ditto the deleterious nature of purified water to humans, unless you have a diet so deficient in calcium and magnesium that you body is reduced to scavenging every last bit one can of each from drinking water? The recommended daily intake of calcium in the UK is 700mg,  moderately 'hard' water is 100 - 200 mg CaCO3 per litre which is equivalent to 40-80mg of calcium, thus one would need to drink 8.75 to 17.5 litres of water a day to make up the RDI by which point you would probably have passed the LD50 of water which is 90g/kg (rat), so 6.3 litres for a 70kg man.

As far as osmosis inside the body is concerned - give me a break - one of the miracles of the kidney is its ability to selectively retain or discharge minerals according to need, it's not some chunk of Visking tubing that will always shunt minerals one way and water the other according to concentration. That's precisely why the kidney contains active transport mechanisms in addition to simple osmotic mechanisms. Reabsorption of Ca2+ ions by active transport in particular is controlled by parathyroid hormone, and the levels of parathyroid hormone are controlled by blood calcium levels. Just drinking mineral deficient water is not enough to make you start literally pissing minerals away in fact, by the miracle of homeostasis, it will have exactly the opposite effect.

Hardly a Strawman you were seemingly looking at remineralizier cartridges to heap shit on them as a product.

Did you actually take a few minutes to READ some of the health downsides and risks to drinking low mineral water in the WHO link?

Your last part regarding Calcium from water intake is just completely pseudo scientific bunk in a poor attempt to make a point. Calcium sources in a non milk diet exist other than just water, most of Asia does just fine on this Diet style. Excluding Calcium from water is just a bad idea as it reduces that intake before we get to other beneficial minerals in water like zinc. Making up numbers based on just 'water' as that source of Calcium is complete  :bullshit: and has zero to do with science.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91281 on: May 20, 2021, 09:26:22 pm »

Yeah, but with his personal problems right now I don't want to bother him, he is between a rock and a hard place, I know because I was in a similar situation myself a few years ago.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91282 on: May 20, 2021, 11:32:10 pm »
Maybe he could do with a good excuse to go for a drive all by himself...  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91283 on: May 20, 2021, 11:56:32 pm »
The principal reason for a remineralizer cartridge is TASTE and if you want to accuse me of not knowing about them then you are WRONG. It is part of what I do TASTE and in particular related to Tea and Coffee water. If the water is to pure the result tastes flat. Somewhere around 50-80PPM is best for Espresso while brewed drinks generally 100-150 PPM is about right. There is Nothing psuedo scientific about this at all and involves blind tastings again as part of what I have done for Roasting and Cupping training.

Oh, look a strawman. I took no issue with what you had to say about taste, in fact I quite agree. But you set that up as a strawman argument and proceed to 'demolish' that.

Stick to the substance of my argument, not the one you've made up to replace it. How does purified water cause "gut troubles due to the pH." as you claim? In what way is that claim anything but an old wive's tale?

Ditto the deleterious nature of purified water to humans, unless you have a diet so deficient in calcium and magnesium that you body is reduced to scavenging every last bit one can of each from drinking water? The recommended daily intake of calcium in the UK is 700mg,  moderately 'hard' water is 100 - 200 mg CaCO3 per litre which is equivalent to 40-80mg of calcium, thus one would need to drink 8.75 to 17.5 litres of water a day to make up the RDI by which point you would probably have passed the LD50 of water which is 90g/kg (rat), so 6.3 litres for a 70kg man.

As far as osmosis inside the body is concerned - give me a break - one of the miracles of the kidney is its ability to selectively retain or discharge minerals according to need, it's not some chunk of Visking tubing that will always shunt minerals one way and water the other according to concentration. That's precisely why the kidney contains active transport mechanisms in addition to simple osmotic mechanisms. Reabsorption of Ca2+ ions by active transport in particular is controlled by parathyroid hormone, and the levels of parathyroid hormone are controlled by blood calcium levels. Just drinking mineral deficient water is not enough to make you start literally pissing minerals away in fact, by the miracle of homeostasis, it will have exactly the opposite effect.

Hardly a Strawman you were seemingly looking at remineralizier cartridges to heap shit on them as a product.

Again, you claim an argument that I did not make. I picked initially solely on the pH rubbish, which you are still to provide any supporting evidence for, and then later on the "terminal" to humans nature of pure water as if it's some toxin. I certainly wouldn't want to drink demineralised water (and I have) because it tastes completely flat but if it was all I had to drink I'd guzzle it down quite happily without fear of being demineralised like some victim in a 1950s Sci-Fi B movie, neither would I fear it burning my flesh or gut, because it would do neither.

Did you actually take a few minutes to READ some of the health downsides and risks to drinking low mineral water in the WHO link?

No, because the page is offline:

and furthermore, even if low mineral content in water is less than ideal (and I'm quite prepared to be persuaded that's the case, heck for the purposes of argument I'll even stipulate it) it is not the same thing as implying that pure water is actively dangerous, which was your thesis. You seem to be trying to now argue that a diet that, when it includes water, only includes pure water is bad - probably so. But that's not what you were saying and what I picked up on:

The non Pumped R/O membranes are generally less of an issue as they tend to leave more Ions in the water. Be it R/O of most high grades, Demin or Distilled  the damage it can do can be terminal to what it touches including the Human Body.

Your last part regarding Calcium from water intake is just completely pseudo scientific bunk in a poor attempt to make a point. Calcium sources in a non milk diet exist other than just water, most of Asia does just fine on this Diet style. Excluding Calcium from water is just a bad idea as it reduces that intake before we get to other beneficial minerals in water like zinc. Making up numbers based on just 'water' as that source of Calcium is complete  :bullshit: and has zero to do with science.

It's deliberate hyperbole as is obvious from the introductory sentence of the paragraph it's in. At least I tried to present some reason, some numbers to demonstrate how little of dietary calcium comes from water. Trying to cast the whole thing as "completely pseudo scientific bunk" is weak at best, deliberately evasive at worst. Is the stuff about how kidneys and homeostasis of Ca2+ ions works "completely pseudo scientific bunk" too? At no point have I suggested that one ought to exclude calcium from water - implying that is part of my argument is just more strawman building. You're the one who introduced water as an [implied] important source of dietary minerals to prop up your argument that pure water is "terminal" and if you drink pure water "Osmosis in the body is a thing and stripping minerals does happen when you feed pure water in.". I've demonstrated that drinking water can only be a secondary minor source of Calcium and then you try to turn it around as if I'm suggesting that it ought to be the important source of Calcium - pull the other one mate, it jingles.

I've also demonstrated loosely that the body has a homeostatic control system that is quite adequate to balance the intake of Calcium (from whatever source) with the excretion of Calcium, a little demineralised water at one end of the scale is not going faze a system that can deal with someone who lives on milk at the other end of the scale. It has to be good because low blood Calcium can be fatal (ventricular tachycardia) and high blood Calcium also has a host of diseases associated with it. In further fact, about 20% of calcium intake goes straight out of your poop-shoot, untouched by the bits of the body that are capable of Calcium homeostasis. Drinking demineralised water could actual redissolve a small portion of that Calcium that was otherwise not bioavailable and make it available for intake, so the argument for pure water as a 'mineral stripper' gets even weaker - in some circumstances it might even hypothetically improve Calcium uptake from the rest of your diet. I stress - hypothetically.

My point is that pure, even ultrapure water is harmless, whereas you started by directly stating, unqualified, that pure water is "terminal" to machinery and humans alike. Sure, I wouldn't recommend that ultrapure water was the only water you drank, but that was never the contention.

You've also baldly stated that pure water is "likely to give gut troubles due to the pH" which is what I called you out on first because it's wrong, obviously so if one knows some common pH values and thinks for five seconds, and, coming uncorrected from someone who is clearly knowledgable in some areas, is likely to lead some people to believe that guff. If you want "completely pseudo scientific bunk" you have it there, the mention of pH makes it sound scientific to the uninitiated but it is just plain wrong as the most cursory examination of the facts proves. You have still failed to provide any evidence that the assertion is true, just lots of handwaving and accusations of pseudo-science and diversions into arguments that I haven't made. The statement that pure water is "likely to give gut troubles due to the pH" is wrong, and your refusal to concede that point, or provide cogent arguments to support it, and instead concentrating on speculation about improbable calcium deficiency, tends to suggest that you too know that it's unsupportable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91284 on: May 21, 2021, 12:02:26 am »
Hmm, maybe, if he reads this thread and offers, then that is upto him, but I'll not ask him directly but given his current problems, there is likely to be many "Gotchas" coming at him thick and fast and time is of the essence for him. As I said earlier, I was in a very similar situation a few years ago and all kind of problems were presented to me that demanded speedy solutions.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91285 on: May 21, 2021, 12:02:36 am »
Maybe he could do with a good excuse to go for a drive all by himself...  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:

Quite possibly, I do get the point that it might be nice for him to have an excuse, if he wants to take it,  to "get away from it all" for a couple of hours.

However, what he's got to deal with at the moment is all about "having to get things done" and, if he has even one tenth of my streak for procrastinating in the face of unpleasant tasks that "must be done" [looks sideways at his business accounts], then it would be inhumane to hand him a foot-gun like that.  :)

Edit: On the subject of the terror that is BD, it was he I have to blame for both of my current time sponges. It was he who came up with the OCXOs that started me back on the time-hole that the GPSDO project has bencome, and it was he who recommended "The Expanse" which is soaking up 3-5 hours of every day at the moment. So, on balance, perhaps I'm hasty in trying to lessen his burdens.  >:D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:06:47 am by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91286 on: May 21, 2021, 12:12:06 am »
On a non-TEA but delivery related note. Herpes dropped off a package today and hid it behind the bins, in the freaking rain. To top things off, I was in, they didn't knock, they didn't 'card' me, and the only way I found out about it was when the email arrived hours later with the photo of the package tucked behind the bin - by which time it had narrowly avoided being carted off with the bins because it was bin day.

Oh look, a "rate your courier" button. Right, here we go...

Bastards!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91287 on: May 21, 2021, 12:22:15 am »
total snip of the crap

Now you are being argumentative just for the sake of it. There is clear science behind drinking low mineral water so stop bleating  :bullshit: and do some reading before preaching from the pulpit.

You keep going back to pH as the 'gotcha' moment while devoting way more to  :bullshit: maths of how much water you would need to drink to take in Calcium.....

Back to TEA
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91288 on: May 21, 2021, 12:35:13 am »
I'm not running coffee through my laser......

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91289 on: May 21, 2021, 01:08:53 am »

Back in the day, the use of "Belling Lee" connectors for audio inputs was quite common, in both the UK & Oz.

This is one of the days I'm happy we have had a significant influence from Germany. DIN connectors, while crappy, are ages better than Belling-Lee coax plugs, which are plain crap. Hell, they make the F connector look good.

Nowadays, I won't buy audio gear without XLR connectors and associated balanced interfacing.
Some DIN connectors are less crappy then others.
Binder and Lumberg have them in a screw-locked version and Preh makes them with a so-called Renkverschluss (simplified bayonet). Those tend to have good quality contacts and isolators too, which will not deform when soldered and they  are reusable if handled properly.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91290 on: May 21, 2021, 01:14:54 am »
total snip of the crap

Now you are being argumentative just for the sake of it. There is clear science behind drinking low mineral water so stop bleating  :bullshit: and do some reading before preaching from the pulpit.

You keep going back to pH as the 'gotcha' moment while devoting way more to  :bullshit: maths of how much water you would need to drink to take in Calcium.....

Back to TEA

And yet you still have failed to address either of the two substantive points, the only points that I actually made. I think the bullshit here is going the other way; I talk actual science, you're just dismissive, indulge in ad-hominem type remarks and rely on a link to a paper, not even to any substantive quote from it, that I can't even read at the moment. You don't even offer any science just a vague claim that "There is clear science behind drinking low mineral water so stop bleating". Whenever someone in a disagreement starts being rude and dismissive they're fooling no one but themselves as to how well their side of it is holding up.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91291 on: May 21, 2021, 01:23:46 am »

Back in the day, the use of "Belling Lee" connectors for audio inputs was quite common, in both the UK & Oz.

This is one of the days I'm happy we have had a significant influence from Germany. DIN connectors, while crappy, are ages better than Belling-Lee coax plugs, which are plain crap. Hell, they make the F connector look good.

Nowadays, I won't buy audio gear without XLR connectors and associated balanced interfacing.
Some DIN connectors are less crappy then others.
Binder and Lumberg have them in a screw-locked version and Preh makes them with a so-called Renkverschluss (simplified bayonet). Those tend to have good quality contacts and isolators too, which will not deform when soldered and they  are reusable if handled properly.

I can speak to the quality of both types. The crappy plastic ones much loved of Philips on consumer gear were horrible, they lasted no time at at in quite gentle domestic use. The locking ones found on, amongst others, Sennheiser professional microphones were almost as robust as XLRs and, used in the studio, never failed. I've never risked the good DIN connectors on the road, my instinct was that, although tough enough for day-in day-out use in the studio they didn't feel like they'd tolerate the horribly rough handing that stuff on the road gets. You can drop a heavy flight case on a Neutrik XLR and it just shrugs, I suspect even the best DIN connectors would cave in.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91292 on: May 21, 2021, 01:41:05 am »
total snip of the crap

Back to TEA

And yet you still have failed to address either of the two substantive points, the only points that I actually made. I think the bullshit here is going the other way; I talk actual science, you're just dismissive, indulge in ad-hominem type remarks and rely on a link to a paper, not even to any substantive quote from it, that I can't even read at the moment. You don't even offer any science just a vague claim that "There is clear science behind drinking low mineral water so stop bleating". Whenever someone in a disagreement starts being rude and dismissive they're fooling no one but themselves as to how well their side of it is holding up.

Drink distilled water, take yer fucking vitamins with a glass of milk, hope your colon doesn't fill up with plastic particles from the jugs. :-//

There... now you two can stop beating each other over the head, and beat me over the head for a change. :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91293 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:35 am »
total snip of the crap

Back to TEA

Seriously given your opening reply quoting me and you want to talk dismissive and ad hominem  :palm: Pot kettle much?

Would you walk into a meeting or write a technical paper using  :bullshit: math like you did earlier?

Attached seems how the Northern Hemisphere cant read it for reasons random. There is a more recent study too from memory but I cant find it online at present.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91294 on: May 21, 2021, 02:09:31 am »
total snip of the crap

Back to TEA

Seriously given your opening reply quoting me and you want to talk dismissive and ad hominem  :palm: Pot kettle much?

Would you walk into a meeting or write a technical paper using  :bullshit: math like you did earlier?

Attached seems how the Northern Hemisphere cant read it for reasons random. There is a more recent study too from memory but I cant find it online at present.

Give it a rest, making the same noise again and again doesn't count as intelligently advancing the argument. Had a quick scan of the paper, didn't see anything surprising, didn't see anything to support either of your primary claims about increased pH causing gut irritation or damage (unless instilled directly to the small intestine, bypassing the stomach and duodenum) or distilled water being deadly - rats feed exclusively on distilled water for a whole year (average natural lifespan 1.8 years) did show some changes but were still alive and kicking. Petard anyone?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91295 on: May 21, 2021, 02:12:40 am »

I can honestly say I've never seen Belling Lee connectors used for audio.  RCA connectors were king here back "in the day" - which I consider to be the last four decades of last century ... as a minimum.  Belling Lee connectors came into their own for RF when TV antenna cable moved to coax.

From memory, all the Mullard amplifiers in their publications in the late '50s & early '60s used them, as did the "Radio Television & Hobbies" Playmaster series.
There were quite a few small manufacturers who sold fully built versions of both, complete with "BL" connectors.

RCA connectors were fairly rare in my experience, & the Electronics suppliers I worked at from 1959 to 1965 had about 7 or 8 in a dusty parts bin, whereas we regularly received stock of replacement  "Belling Lee" connectors to top up the bin which was rapidly depleted.

A lot of the old "two way"  radios from Philips used them, too, as did quite a number of signal generators of the time.

The number of Belling Lees we sold may have been inflated by the "easy melt" insulation melting when soldering with the old "Scope" soldering irons.
Every  installation or replacement required great care to not "kill" the connector------- care that wasn't always available in the rush to finish the job!

The annoying thing was that, if they has used phenolic insulation instead of the stuff they did, the sockets would have been OK, & a little effort would have made the plugs useable.
For all that, the '50 s versions were, in many ways superior to the crap they sold as "PAL" connectors in the
'90s.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91296 on: May 21, 2021, 02:31:19 am »
From memory, all the Mullard amplifiers in their publications in the late '50s & early '60s used them, as did the "Radio Television & Hobbies" Playmaster series.
There were quite a few small manufacturers who sold fully built versions of both, complete with "BL" connectors.

I saw a lot on 60s gear.

RCA connectors were fairly rare in my experience, & the Electronics suppliers I worked at from 1959 to 1965 had about 7 or 8 in a dusty parts bin, whereas we regularly received stock of replacement  "Belling Lee" connectors to top up the bin which was rapidly depleted.

During the late 60s and the early 70s DIN connectors seemed to be the thing here. RCA connectors only really took off here as relatively cheap hi-fi separates, mostly Japanese imports, started filling the market up. European and UK manufactured stuff stuck with DIN connectors pro tem, and by the time the late 70s rolled around had almost disappeared in favour of RCA connectors. I don't recall seeing a Belling-Lee (except as an AM aerial socket) on new gear after the mid seventies, and DIN connectors were a rarity post 1980.

The one place that Belling-Lee connectors seemed to hang on forever was on the backs of chassis built valve guitar amplifiers. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see one on a new amp even today but it's years since I've been near an electric guitar amp.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #91297 on: May 21, 2021, 02:34:50 am »
Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink. Water, water, everywhere, and all the boards did shrink.

Can we stop beating this  :horse: already, and just listen to some Iron Maiden?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91298 on: May 21, 2021, 02:35:06 am »
total snip of the crap

Back to TEA

Give it a rest, making the same noise again and again doesn't count as intelligently advancing the argument. Had a quick scan of the paper, didn't see anything surprising, didn't see anything to support either of your primary claims about increased pH causing gut irritation or damage (unless instilled directly to the small intestine, bypassing the stomach and duodenum) or distilled water being deadly - rats feed exclusively on distilled water for a whole year (average natural lifespan 1.8 years) did show some changes but were still alive and kicking. Petard anyone?

Selective reading and quoting of it much, and still pushing pH as the smoking gun as my 'primary' claim  :palm:

I would call extra fluid around the Brain not a good thing. Whatever the physiological reason Overall Worse health outcomes is the real conclusion by my read.

....Regular intake of low-mineral content water could be associated with the progressive
evolution of the changes discussed above, possibly without manifestation of symptoms or causal
symptoms over the years. Nevertheless, severe acute damage, such as hyponatremic shock or
delirium, may occur following intense physical efforts and ingestion of several litres of lowmineral water (10).
The so-called "water intoxication" (hyponatremic shock) may also occur with
rapid ingestion of excessive amounts not only of low-mineral water but also tap water. The
"intoxication" risk increases with decreasing levels of TDS. In the past, acute health problems
were reported in mountain climbers who had prepared their beverages with melted snow that was
not supplemented with necessary ions. A more severe course of such a condition coupled with
brain oedema, convulsions and metabolic acidosis was reported in infants whose drinks had been
prepared with distilled or low-mineral bottled water (11)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91299 on: May 21, 2021, 02:37:44 am »
During the late 60s and the early 70s DIN connectors seemed to be the thing here. RCA connectors only really took off here as relatively cheap hi-fi separates, mostly Japanese imports, started filling the market up. European and UK manufactured stuff stuck with DIN connectors pro tem, and by the time the late 70s rolled around had almost disappeared in favour of RCA connectors. I don't recall seeing a Belling-Lee (except as an AM aerial socket) on new gear after the mid seventies, and DIN connectors were a rarity post 1980.
This most closely describes my experience.  I can't really speak to the 50's era as I wasn't old enough to notice.  I only started getting into electronics in the mid 60's.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:43:11 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf