Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18050340 times)

Vince, veedub565 and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90075 on: May 05, 2021, 10:58:40 am »
Yesterday there was a nice frequency counter for sale on bidspotter. I put in an early low bid, but didn't update it because my mother's 100th birthday took priority.

Bidspotter suggests alternatives:
Tank Discharge and Tank Cleaning Matrix Inc. 2 x Pumps
A LATE 19TH CENTURY BELGIAN SIX SHOT .31 CALIBRE PINFIRE REVOLVER, 6CM BARREL
A WORLD WAR II CHILDS GAS MASK WITH BOX
Developments & Products (Leeds) Ltd space frame conveyor

Artificial intelligence, indeed.

Congratulations to your mother!

McBryce.

She's from long lived stock; he mother was 94, and my mother was influenced by her grandmother until the age of 10 or so. Give that her grandmother was in her 90s, that means she was born around 1840.

I've inherited my father's genes :(

I think you are descended from a line of Bene Gesserit  :-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90076 on: May 05, 2021, 11:12:54 am »
Postman brought me a letter from Mounty:

Now I need to go shopping for BlinkenLEDs  ;)
Thanks!

My pleasure!  :D
Enjoy your Blinkedinger! :)

Ah! I know those MC cables with that 1.3mm connector at one end. I've bought several bunches of them as well.  ;D
Very handy imo.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90077 on: May 05, 2021, 11:29:49 am »
::) Just did myself out of a sale.....  :horse:
Customer wants a 1 GHz signal source....use the TG set to zero Span on your SVA1015X says I.

Hopefully it's not sufficient drive and he needs something better $  >:D
Not reading are you Alan ?  :-[

He will come back to you when he needs other kit because you gave him goo advice. Hopfully he will also tell others.
You also never know what a hobbists day job is. How I treated as a hobbist can impact my purchasing decisions at work.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90078 on: May 05, 2021, 11:31:06 am »
@factory on <radiomuseum>:
I sincerely hate this website! Had to cope with that too.
A bit faster if we help:

Haha! I can backtranslate the notes on the schematic to Swedish! Like most other countries where people believe they can speak English reasonably well, we Swedes have our own distinct Swenglish, and with training it's readily spotted.

Especially funny is the word "Trigg". A native English speaker would write "trig" but like a few other imports from English ("Rigg", "Brigg" for sailing tackle and small ship, respectively), we find it easier to incorporate in Swedish if we keep both g's in the word. This then gets back-translated to Swenglish and I can back-back-translate it to "English word imported to Swedish" again.

The opposite of Britain, where if we import a word we keep the spelling to add to the huge list of "exceptions to spelling rules in English" and then go on to mangle the pronunciation as much as we can - (e.g. Zeitgeist [DE origin] gets pronounced with a leading 'zee' type Z sound, cul-de-sac* [FR, sort of] is pronounced Kull-da-sack, and so on), any diacritic gets written but stomped flat unless it is actually pronounced in English, in which case it is omitted from the spelling (e.g. spelled blase but pronounced blasé [FR origin]). An old friend Paul Müller was forever having to explain to people that his name was not Paul Muhller and the families Zaft and Sax just gave up.

* The English usage is NOT French but is Estate Agent/Pretentious 60s Middle Class English for a residential road that has one entrance only, that is, not a through road. I always used to giggle at it as a child because a French exchange student who lived up the road had explained that a true Francophone would hear that as "bum of the bag" or "arse of the bag"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #90079 on: May 05, 2021, 11:34:49 am »

Ah! I know those MC cables with that 1.3mm connector at one end. I've bought several bunches of them as well.  ;D
Very handy imo.

Yes, if you can find suitable pins ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90080 on: May 05, 2021, 11:36:48 am »
If they are living in the Kanton Aargau, then you should ask them innocently why the Swiss in the Kanton Aargau are always wearing white socks. :D

And if you want to play devils advocate, then you could do:
- ask how far the accession negotiations to the EU are
- state, that there is no big difference between the Swiss coming from Zug, Thurgau, Sankt Gallen and Aargau, because they have the G as the second letter in the license plate.

:-DD :-DD

I once asked a Swiss man what he thought of this thing as a Graubünden native.
Man, he got angry!  :-DD
"I am from Valais." was his, errm, emotional response.  >:D

Does that mean his family look like this?

(Valais Sheep, possibly the cutest sheep in the world. Sorry if this makes any of the Kiwis feel all "hot and unnecessary".)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90081 on: May 05, 2021, 11:43:38 am »
Yesterday there was a nice frequency counter for sale on bidspotter. I put in an early low bid, but didn't update it because my mother's 100th birthday took priority.

McBryce.

She's from long lived stock; he mother was 94, and my mother was influenced by her grandmother until the age of 10 or so. Give that her grandmother was in her 90s, that means she was born around 1840.

My congratulations also!

Fortunately for me I've inherited my mother's, who made 94. My maternal grandmother's life was cut sort by a misdirected Brighton Omnibus so I don't know what her natural term would have been, but her sister Great Auntie 'Coo' was still the kind of formidable, "no respecter of 'persons'" Great Aunt you could threaten people with well into her nineties and made 99.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90082 on: May 05, 2021, 11:47:34 am »

Very handy imo.

Yes, if you can find suitable pins ...

Lötstifte 1,3mm, versilbert:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/383410833824

1.3mm, kurz:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/324256213620

1.3mm, lang:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/324419364793

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90083 on: May 05, 2021, 11:54:02 am »
If they are living in the Kanton Aargau, then you should ask them innocently why the Swiss in the Kanton Aargau are always wearing white socks. :D

And if you want to play devils advocate, then you could do:
- ask how far the accession negotiations to the EU are
- state, that there is no big difference between the Swiss coming from Zug, Thurgau, Sankt Gallen and Aargau, because they have the G as the second letter in the license plate.

I once asked a Swiss man what he thought of this thing as a Graubünden native.
Man, he got angry!  :-DD
"I am from Valais." was his, errm, emotional response.  >:D

Does that mean his family look like this?

No, he was merely to be proud of being a Valais instead of one of those bloody Graubündner natives.
(I was aware, that he was coming from Valais)  >:D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #90084 on: May 05, 2021, 11:54:40 am »
After 40+ years of existence the families former and then my Tupperware Cereal container lid has FAILED.

Just call up your local Tupperware lady...  Tupperware have lifetime warranties. 

Show them your failed lid and they'll hand you a new one at no cost.  If they don't have one in stock, they'll get one for you in their next order.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90085 on: May 05, 2021, 12:10:45 pm »
After 40+ years of existence the families former and then my Tupperware Cereal container lid has FAILED.

Just call up your local Tupperware lady...  Tupperware have lifetime warranties. 

Show them your failed lid and they'll hand you a new one at no cost.  If they don't have one in stock, they'll get one for you in their next order.

Never give the Tupperware/Amway/7th day bikeriders ....etc a way in the door ;) That and I cant afford the wait I have bits to cut and most likely NLA :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90086 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15:46 pm »
::) Just did myself out of a sale.....  :horse:
Customer wants a 1 GHz signal source....use the TG set to zero Span on your SVA1015X says I.

Hopefully it's not sufficient drive and he needs something better $  >:D
Not reading are you Alan ?  :-[

He will come back to you when he needs other kit because you gave him goo advice. Hopfully he will also tell others.
This I'z well knowz.  ;)
Alan just got a 4ch X-E from us that he should get tomorrow now he's flicked his Hantek.
You also never know what a hobbists day job is. How I treated as a hobbist can impact my purchasing decisions at work.
Repeat sales are the most valuable to us as they prove customers are happy with the brand and our service and as fairly new to this equipment retail thing (8yrs) I like to think we're treating customers as we would like to be treated ourselves....all pretty simple stuff that you should never lose sight of.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90087 on: May 05, 2021, 12:17:26 pm »
Got your Tek bits yet Med ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90088 on: May 05, 2021, 12:20:20 pm »

(Valais Sheep, possibly the cutest sheep in the world. Sorry if this makes any of the Kiwis feel all "hot and unnecessary".)

I'm more fond of Valais wine, having friends in Verbier I've been there on a number of occasions. Truly stunning wines to be found from the upper (i.e above Lac Leman) Rhône. Still, for fondue one wants Fendant from Vaud or Genève.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #90089 on: May 05, 2021, 12:33:36 pm »
Still, for fondue one wants Fendant from Vaud or Genève.

No, cheese.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90090 on: May 05, 2021, 12:58:50 pm »

McBryce.

I think you are descended from a line of Bene Gesserit  :-DD

My mother's mother certainly was a malicious witch, to the extent that I don't remember seeing her until I was in my mid-teens and could resist her poison pen letters. Fortunately my mother was strongly influenced by her grandmother, and has in turn strongly influenced her granddaughter :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90091 on: May 05, 2021, 02:28:53 pm »
I like genuine Swiss cheese. Not the crap made here that claims to be "Swiss cheese".

That is all.  ;D

Me too. But I still eat the Swiss-oid, because it is what I can get without driving up into the Hinterlands.  :P

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90092 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:55 pm »
I am truly amazed at the stories I've heard about what Americans call cheese.  :o

Much of it scares me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90093 on: May 05, 2021, 02:58:28 pm »
I am truly amazed at the stories I've heard about what Americans call cheese.  :o

Much of it scares me.

You may have had a sample already: the "cheese" in a MacDonald's cheeseburger. The first time I had that I was amazed that somebody could set out to make something with no flavour and horrible texture.

Much of US food is designed to cater the eyes of poor people in remote sparsely populated locations - i.e. appearance and cost and transportability and shelf life are very important.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90094 on: May 05, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »

Pure. Unadulterated. EEEVIL...  :scared:

mnem
best in a Gyro with fried onion & bell pepper...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90095 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:09 pm »

Much of it scares me.
What else would you put on that 'bread' of theirs?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90096 on: May 05, 2021, 03:18:12 pm »

Much of it scares me.

You may have had a sample already: the "cheese" in a MacDonald's cheeseburger. The first time I had that I was amazed that somebody could set out to make something with no flavour and horrible texture.

Much of US food is designed to cater the eyes of poor people in remote sparsely populated locations - i.e. appearance and cost and transportability and shelf life are very the only thing that's important.

There... FTFY.   :P

FWIW... For several years, growing up in one of the poorer neighborhoods of Peesborgh, I did in fact partake of "the guv'mint cheese". While called American Cheese, it most resembled a very mild cheddar. Ingredients were cow's milk, rennet and salt. You could still buy the same cheese from Giant Eagle when we left Peesborgh; it was sold under their generic white label product line, and it still had those same 3 ingredients.

I do like, and make no apologies for liking, a nice sharp Wisconsin Cheddar (especially with a hot slice of apple pie) or a dryer-than-average Monterey Jack. The kids won't touch cheddar; I think that's mommy's genes. Closest I can get them to eat is the local Colby-Jack which at least is a 4-ingredient cheese. :palm:

You can keep all your "ripe" cheeses with the possible exception of a properly stinky Bleu Cheese salad dressing.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:23:29 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90097 on: May 05, 2021, 03:34:22 pm »

Much of it scares me.

Much of US food is designed to cater the eyes of poor people in remote sparsely populated locations - i.e. appearance and cost and transportability and shelf life are very the only thing that's important.

There... FTFY.   :P

FWIW... For several years, growing up in one of the poorer neighborhoods of Peesborgh, I did in fact partake of "the guv'mint cheese". While called American Cheese, it most resembled a very mild cheddar. Ingredients were cow's milk, rennet and salt. You could still buy the same cheese from Giant Eagle when we left Peesborgh; it was sold under their generic white label product line, and it still had those same 3 ingredients.

I do like, and make no apologies for liking, a nice sharp Wisconsin Cheddar (especially with a hot slice of apple pie) or a dryer-than-average Monterey Jack. The kids won't touch cheddar; I think that's mommy's genes. Closest I can get them to eat is the local Colby-Jack which at least is a 4-ingredient cheese. :palm:

You can keep all your "ripe" cheeses with the possible exception of a properly stinky Bleu Cheese salad dressing.  :-DD

mnem
I'm very fond of an Italian '3-ingredient cheese', which is called Cravanzina and is made of the milk from cows, sheep, and goats. So if you have '4-ingredient cheese', I wonder what the fourth component is.
I have my suspicions.
Oink.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90098 on: May 05, 2021, 03:46:10 pm »
What kind of strange contraption is this, worth getting some:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/161714313727

:-//

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90099 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51:50 pm »

Much of it scares me.

The very cheapest hot-melt glue sticks you can get from McMaster-Carr $10.24 per lb, Velveeta 'murican cheese $7.36 for two pounds from Wally-Mart. There you go, a biodegradable packaging adhesive at under 1/2 the price of PVA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf