Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18050373 times)

Vince, veedub565 and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90050 on: May 05, 2021, 06:14:45 am »
Finished adjusting the Cesium standard, cleaned it up. Now it locks without manual adjustments. Turn it on and it locks.

Me happy.

Was wondering yesterday what to charge for it. Already sold, so the answer was probably: more.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90051 on: May 05, 2021, 06:56:35 am »
Archiving at post 84800. Getting close! :popcorn:

Of course, now that I'm watching, it doesn't get stuck. :horse:

Done!

Some fun archiving stats
Domains: 817
Files: 32593
Size: 9.5 GB
Times stuck: 6
Time: Too long, thanks to misbehaving sites: members.home.nl, gamestop.com, farnell.com, newark.com, element14.com

Very nice!  :-+

And now, how long do you think you will need for the catch-up?  :-DD :-DD :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90052 on: May 05, 2021, 07:03:06 am »
I never joined because their requirements for personal information are out of line, especially these days.
So, instead of just swinging them around, they want photos, dimensions, statistics and history?

I'm a member since many years of this website but I was all the time very uncomfortable with their attitudes and how stone-age like they are handling things. I've also uploaded one or two times some documents so I was able to download then the documents I'm interested in.
This website is imho the opposite of the spirit of freely circling data and information.  |O

One thing I've learned is: the founder of this website is a Swiss guy with a very closed mind and imho that is the whole spirit of this site.  >:(
I'm only using it if I really need to.
 :-//
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:13:01 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, factory, tonyalbus

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90053 on: May 05, 2021, 07:17:58 am »
Swiss guy. That figures  :-DD. Was watching yesterday my Swiss relatives on Facebook being happy they’re paying off homeless people in Basel to go and live somewhere else  :palm:. Self centred seems endemic in their ideology.

Horrible web site. Needs to stop existing. I think you could flatten them in no time at all by actually not being a dick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:20:12 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90054 on: May 05, 2021, 07:26:11 am »
Similar resistors "Rheostats" where commonly used for stage light dimming before the advent of semicondutor dimmers. It got pretty hot up on the lighting control deck with banks of those. Would not pass modern safety tests either.
Just reminded me of one production where there was a scene of dancing skeletons comprising a group of girls in black body suits fluorescent paint and black lights. We told the girls before the dress rehearsal to wear black underwear. Needless to say the didn't listen and when the black lights came on the skeletons were wearing bras and panties  :-DD
I was just going to say that there were similar resistors used as stage dimmers, I remember seeing them at various theatres back in the day.
I once got complained at by the director for dimming the house lights too quickly at the start of the performance (of a G&S operetta, IIRC). Too much smoke was coming out the rheostat for my liking

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90055 on: May 05, 2021, 07:31:23 am »
I'm only using it if I really need to.
Yes, it's a final alternative. Nothing more.  Pity that Philips wasn't as popular with the US Army, where the manuals would end up on government FTP sites. (the BAMA is largely supplied from there, for instance. A Good Thing.) I'd love to have more docs for the Swedish-built Philips/Flukes, for instance. 

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90056 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:38 am »
@factory on <radiomuseum>:
I sincerely hate this website! Had to cope with that too.
A bit faster if we help:

Haha! I can backtranslate the notes on the schematic to Swedish! Like most other countries where people believe they can speak English reasonably well, we Swedes have our own distinct Swenglish, and with training it's readily spotted.

Especially funny is the word "Trigg". A native English speaker would write "trig" but like a few other imports from English ("Rigg", "Brigg" for sailing tackle and small ship, respectively), we find it easier to incorporate in Swedish if we keep both g's in the word. This then gets back-translated to Swenglish and I can back-back-translate it to "English word imported to Swedish" again.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90057 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:42 am »
Swiss guy. That figures  :-DD. Was watching yesterday my Swiss relatives on Facebook being happy they’re paying off homeless people in Basel to go and live somewhere else  :palm:. Self centred seems endemic in their ideology.

Horrible web site. Needs to stop existing. I think you could flatten them in no time at all by actually not being a dick.

Nothing wrong with the Swiss depends if they are Swiss German, French, Italian or Big City Swiss Swiss and have a true superiority complex :-DD

A good mate of mine is a patternmaker and has lived in Oz for over 30 years he descended from a Rural Valley before arrival and he has more than fitted in here.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90058 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:54 am »
 ::) Just did myself out of a sale.....  :horse:
Customer wants a 1 GHz signal source....use the TG set to zero Span on your SVA1015X says I.

Hopefully it's not sufficient drive and he needs something better $  >:D
Not reading are you Alan ?  :-[
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90059 on: May 05, 2021, 08:14:56 am »

Nothing wrong with the Swiss depends if they are Swiss German, French, Italian or Big City Swiss Swiss and have a true superiority complex :-DD

A good mate of mine is a patternmaker and has lived in Oz for over 30 years he descended from a Rural Valley before arrival and he has more than fitted in here.

He moved there probably because he didn’t fit in at home. My cousins are here in the UK, my uncles aunts are 50/50. Everyone who is here tells us how wonderful Switzerland is. But if you ask them why they aren’t living their it turns out they don’t like the other Swiss  :-DD. Hell half my family in one canton don’t like another half in another one because they are different. There’s also a defector which neither of the lot will talk to.  :palm:

This is the source of great amusement to me on a weekly basis  :-DD

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90060 on: May 05, 2021, 08:19:42 am »
Just got around to measuring the adventurous soviet СГМ3-Б (SGM3-B) capacitor with a Hameg 8118 LCR meter:
(beforehand the legs were rubbed with contact cleaner and the body was wiped with isopropyl alcohol)
100Hz: 4.31   nF   Rp o.L.
1k      : 4.31   nF   Rp 530 M \$\Omega\$
10k    : 4.309 nF   Rp   29 M \$\Omega\$
100k  : 4.311 nF   Rp     1 M \$\Omega\$
Note  : the respective parallel resistances equals a dissipation factor in the range of 0.0001 to 0.0003
Note2: if the measurement was 100% accurate, the capacitor would be with +0.23% within it's tolerance of +-0.3%
Amazing capacitor  :-+
When I get home, it's time to check my DE5000 :-DMM
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:24:39 am by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90061 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:35 am »
Confession time "I actually love water cooling"  >:D

After 40+ years of existence the families former and then my Tupperware Cereal container lid has FAILED. For the last three years of its life it has been the water/cooling reserve on my small Laser cutter with a small submersible pump inside it.

I made the new insert for it as a very early 3D print in August 2018 to take the hoses and electrical cable in and leave it dust and grot proof. Being a somewhat tight arse I decided to rebuild rather than buy a new one so a little Beer fueled Fusioning later tomorrows job will be Lasering the 5 bits of and $8 worth of Acrylic to save buying a $16 new tank. Ready for the next few decades ..... Could have been a 3DP job but way faster to cut it out and glue it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90062 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:57 am »

He moved there probably because he didn’t fit in at home. My cousins are here in the UK, my uncles aunts are 50/50. Everyone who is here tells us how wonderful Switzerland is. But if you ask them why they aren’t living their it turns out they don’t like the other Swiss  :-DD. Hell half my family in one canton don’t like another half in another one because they are different. There’s also a defector which neither of the lot will talk to.  :palm:

This is the source of great amusement to me on a weekly basis  :-DD

If they are living in the Kanton Aargau, then you should ask them innocently why the Swiss in the Kanton Aargau are always wearing white socks. :D

And if you want to play devils advocate, then you could do:
- ask how far the accession negotiations to the EU are
- state, that there is no big difference between the Swiss coming from Zug, Thurgau, Sankt Gallen and Aargau, because they have the G as the second letter in the license plate.

:-DD :-DD

I once asked a Swiss man what he thought of this thing as a Graubünden native.
Man, he got angry!  :-DD
"I am from Valais." was his, errm, emotional response.  >:D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:42:14 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90063 on: May 05, 2021, 08:49:20 am »
Hahaha that's some top trolling that is  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90064 on: May 05, 2021, 08:52:17 am »
I like genuine Swiss cheese. Not the crap made here that claims to be "Swiss cheese".

That is all.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90065 on: May 05, 2021, 08:55:05 am »
According to UPS the 547 parts will be delivered today.

Not holding my breath.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90066 on: May 05, 2021, 09:10:26 am »
Yesterday there was a nice frequency counter for sale on bidspotter. I put in an early low bid, but didn't update it because my mother's 100th birthday took priority.

Bidspotter suggests alternatives:
Tank Discharge and Tank Cleaning Matrix Inc. 2 x Pumps
A LATE 19TH CENTURY BELGIAN SIX SHOT .31 CALIBRE PINFIRE REVOLVER, 6CM BARREL
A WORLD WAR II CHILDS GAS MASK WITH BOX
Developments & Products (Leeds) Ltd space frame conveyor

Artificial intelligence, indeed.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90067 on: May 05, 2021, 09:14:14 am »
Yesterday there was a nice frequency counter for sale on bidspotter. I put in an early low bid, but didn't update it because my mother's 100th birthday took priority.

Congratulations to your mother!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90068 on: May 05, 2021, 09:27:14 am »

The one I think you're talking about?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90069 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:58 am »
Any aviation fans out there, RAF (USAF) Lakenheath is currently being streamed live here.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90070 on: May 05, 2021, 10:10:31 am »
Just got around to measuring the adventurous soviet СГМ3-Б (SGM3-B) capacitor with a Hameg 8118 LCR meter:
(beforehand the legs were rubbed with contact cleaner and the body was wiped with isopropyl alcohol)
100Hz: 4.31   nF   Rp o.L.
1k      : 4.31   nF   Rp 530 M \$\Omega\$
10k    : 4.309 nF   Rp   29 M \$\Omega\$
100k  : 4.311 nF   Rp     1 M \$\Omega\$
Note  : the respective parallel resistances equals a dissipation factor in the range of 0.0001 to 0.0003
Note2: if the measurement was 100% accurate, the capacitor would be with +0.23% within it's tolerance of +-0.3%
Amazing capacitor  :-+
When I get home, it's time to check my DE5000 :-DMM

Perhaps, the Hameg is reading a little bit high :)

If the capacitor has a nominal value of 4300pF with +/- 0,3% tolerance,
then it should be something between 4297 and 4303pF or am I wrong?

Edit:
I am  :palm:

4287.1 to 4312.9pF 

Really, I need a break
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:19:03 am by BU508A »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90071 on: May 05, 2021, 10:12:50 am »

Congratulations to your mother!

McBryce.

She's from long lived stock; he mother was 94, and my mother was influenced by her grandmother until the age of 10 or so. Give that her grandmother was in her 90s, that means she was born around 1840.

I've inherited my father's genes :(
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90072 on: May 05, 2021, 10:14:08 am »

The one I think you're talking about?

Probably :) ISTR you buying some recently.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90073 on: May 05, 2021, 10:39:06 am »
Probably :) ISTR you buying some recently.

Lol, yeah bought one in the previous batch, bought one now. If you still want it, I can sell it to you for as close to what I payed for as my bookkeeper allows. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #90074 on: May 05, 2021, 10:48:53 am »
Postman brought me a letter from Mounty:

Now I need to go shopping for BlinkenLEDs  ;)
Thanks!

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, 1Ghz, mnementh, ch_scr, DC1MC, factory, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf