Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18052128 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, wkb, EE4all, nfmax and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90025 on: May 04, 2021, 04:56:42 pm »
Is this Anritsu S331A worth bidding for, the user manual has a nice cable velocity chart ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/194070775373

Cheers,
DC1MC
I don't think it's worth that.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90026 on: May 04, 2021, 05:28:53 pm »
Sometimes an electronic load is too sophisticated ...

... for me.   :-DD

Luckily I'm kind of TEAed. So my addicted brain came up with a perfect solution: Collecting the real thing:

10 Ohm 8 A and 100 Ohm 2.5 A.
Remember me of the school time in the 70s.
Now, when anybody dares to ask about Ohms law, I can easily evoke a PTSD by clunking these guys on the table.    ;D

After some mechanical readjustment and a careful 600's sanding of the winding's contact area and they are going smoothly again.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:56:23 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, beanflying, factory

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90027 on: May 04, 2021, 06:07:03 pm »
Is this Anritsu S331A worth bidding for, the user manual has a nice cable velocity chart ?

Cheers,
DC1MC

"vermutlich verbastelt", I wouldn't touch it.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90028 on: May 04, 2021, 06:09:27 pm »
Today the package from BU508A arrived, seems like some adventureous components also managed to sneak in there :-+
Thats all, thanks & have a nice day :popcorn:

My pleasure!  ;D

Thanks for the feedback.  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90029 on: May 04, 2021, 06:37:25 pm »

Cheers,
DC1MC

"vermutlich verbastelt", I wouldn't touch it.

I just a missing screw, gone since they replaced the leaky Akku, but no problem, I have many screws  :-DD

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90030 on: May 04, 2021, 06:43:42 pm »

Luckily I'm kind of TEAed. So my addicted brain came up with a perfect solution: Collecting the real thing:

Now, when anybody dares to ask about Ohms law, I can easily evoke a PTSD by clunking these guys on the table.    ;D

After some mechanical readjustment and a careful 600's sanding of the winding's contact area and they are going smoothly again.

Ah yes those remind me of school too. The smell is unbeatable when they get a bit too warm. They made us put together measurement bridges in physics A level. I think I was the only one who gave a crap about that lab :(

We only had the open frame ones though :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:46:08 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, wolfy007, factory

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90031 on: May 04, 2021, 07:33:42 pm »
Think I need to find manual to progress this further, radiomuseum have the circuit diagram but it will take two months to download the set as I'm not a member and don't want to join.

KO4BB offers the service manual for the 5245L for download

Sorry, you are searching for the Philips SM...  |O

Maybe I should have been clearer, the 5245L (which is working fine) was only used for checking the difference in readings on the Philips PM6645 and to check the oven was still running after my mishap.  :-BROKE

I now have three pdf files for the PM6645 covered in RM watermarks (& name & email) covering part of the input board (or one page of the original manual), yes it's actually going to take a long time to download the rest, I think they are logging IP address to prevent using another email, browser or another device on the same network.  |O

Oh, and I have several dead tree editions of the 5245L manual, last one was only 99p as no one else bid, local too so no postage to pay.

David
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:37:20 pm by factory »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90032 on: May 04, 2021, 07:55:44 pm »

Ah yes those remind me of school too. The smell is unbeatable when they get a bit too warm. They made us put together measurement bridges in physics A level. I think I was the only one who gave a crap about that lab :(

We only had the open frame ones though :(

Yes nice smell of burning dust if they haven't been used for a while, we used them a lot at work for load testing DC-DC converters and also as a load representing a motor field winding for various regulators, nice sound from the changing pulse width too.

I have this nice vintage 6.7Ω one rated at 8.5A in war finish, acquired for a couple of £ a few years ago. There is a non-linear one here somewhere too, that is in very poor condition.

Almost perfect for checking the Sorensen (aka xantrex) power supply I have, which reminds me I never uploaded the teardown pics for that.

David
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:57:36 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Peter_O

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90033 on: May 04, 2021, 08:13:50 pm »
this nice vintage 6.7Ω one rated at 8.5A in war finish

That's like "Lets make the heads of BSW screws and nuts one size smaller to save material" and "Let's paint steam engines all black instead of racing green", right? Austerity measures.

The Germans could, too. The Wikipedia article on austerity measures in locomotive building is instructive

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90034 on: May 04, 2021, 08:22:33 pm »
Interesting. That'll be my Wikipedia rabbit hole for the evening. Thanks for that  :-+

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90035 on: May 04, 2021, 08:39:40 pm »

That's like "Lets make the heads of BSW screws and nuts one size smaller to save material" and "Let's paint steam engines all black instead of racing green", right? Austerity measures.

The Germans could, too. The Wikipedia article on austerity measures in locomotive building is instructive

Yes that sort of thing and reducing the amount of certain metals that were scarce at the time, no fancy paper or embossing for books & paperwork for equipment made then.

Some more variable resistances and the non-linear one made for controlling dynamo field current.

Some of those have since been stripped, the rust cleaned off & reassembled.

David
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:47:43 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mansaxel

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90036 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:15 pm »

In the UK "War Finish" is normally found on castings. Basically minimal clean-up of flash etc, no filling before painting  and defects that don't affect function allowed. The marking was so that items below the makers usual quality standards were not rejected.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90037 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:21 pm »

I HAVE THA POWAAAAHHHH!!!

$40 worth of old laptop batteries to bust up for cells... These are all 6-8 years old, and some even show live voltage output, so haven't discharged enuf to trip ODP. I hope for enuf to make at least one good e-Bike pack.

Now to get crackin'... packs.  >:D

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:43:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90038 on: May 04, 2021, 08:49:05 pm »
Similar resistors "Rheostats" where commonly used for stage light dimming before the advent of semicondutor dimmers. It got pretty hot up on the lighting control deck with banks of those. Would not pass modern safety tests either.
Just reminded me of one production where there was a scene of dancing skeletons comprising a group of girls in black body suits fluorescent paint and black lights. We told the girls before the dress rehearsal to wear black underwear. Needless to say the didn't listen and when the black lights came on the skeletons were wearing bras and panties  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Peter_O

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #90039 on: May 04, 2021, 09:01:34 pm »
Finished adjusting the Cesium standard, cleaned it up. Now it locks without manual adjustments. Turn it on and it locks.

Me happy.

Me envious 😁
Enjoy 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90040 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:00 pm »

Im Winter glühn' die Werkstattwände, benutzt Du Schiebewiderstände!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Peter_O

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90041 on: May 04, 2021, 09:58:17 pm »
@factory on <radiomuseum>:
I sincerely hate this website! Had to cope with that too.
A bit faster if we help:

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90042 on: May 04, 2021, 10:15:47 pm »
Similar resistors "Rheostats" where commonly used for stage light dimming before the advent of semicondutor dimmers. It got pretty hot up on the lighting control deck with banks of those. Would not pass modern safety tests either.
Just reminded me of one production where there was a scene of dancing skeletons comprising a group of girls in black body suits fluorescent paint and black lights. We told the girls before the dress rehearsal to wear black underwear. Needless to say the didn't listen and when the black lights came on the skeletons were wearing bras and panties  :-DD
At least some decency on the side of the deceased! Must've been British!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90043 on: May 04, 2021, 10:28:35 pm »
As I had a lot of serial interface troubles recently with a GPS receiver at work and I could not locate the copy of the ingenious 'Serialtest' SW which I once had, I could not pass on this Siemens serial comms test set for 10.50€. Supposedly working, incl. accessories & manual.

Also the second specimen of the original Metrawatt thermocouple probes intended for use with the Unigor6e multimeter. So I have immersion and surface probe now. Yay!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90044 on: May 04, 2021, 11:50:11 pm »
I was just going to say that there were similar resistors used as stage dimmers, I remember seeing them at various theatres back in the day.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90045 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:32 pm »
@factory on <radiomuseum>:
I sincerely hate this website! Had to cope with that too.
A bit faster if we help:
I also joined that website / forum but because of all their rules etc, I never renewed the membership, infact I think I was banned from it because  I never lists of my radios etc and did any write-ups on them, very unfriendly mob, there is zero comparison between them and this forum, we are very take us as you find us, and friendly, they are all sort of stiff backed upright and proper like and extremely klickly IMV.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #90046 on: May 05, 2021, 12:50:43 am »
I never joined because their requirements for personal information are out of line, especially these days.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, factory

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90047 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:29 am »
I never joined because their requirements for personal information are out of line, especially these days.
So, instead of just swinging them around, they want photos, dimensions, statistics and history?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90048 on: May 05, 2021, 01:59:42 am »
Also Emacs hasn't shipped with OSX for a long time. You've got vi on there though  8)

And ed don't forget:

Code: [Select]
cerebus@shu:~/Desktop$ ed EdgeToPulse.v
1p
module EdgeToPulse (input edgeLine, input clk, output reg pulseLine);

Sick sick sick individual.

If ever the world collapses and all we're left with is line printers you'll be the king of humanity though  :-DD

Bwahahaha!

mnem
I'll make sure to be the bastard with all the working ribbons then.  >:D
Dot Matrix printers????

Ah, the screech of a DecWriter as it prints your program's listing.

And kids nowadays moan about fans whining.

I loved it when somebody else was printing reams of crap for some private project or other, & I was trying to print some work stuff that needed to be done "now".

I would make sure all was clear, ask the thing to "print".

After waiting for a short time,  no page printer indication on the screen, but I could hear "snork!, snork!, snork! coming from the printer room.
Sure enough, the guy had gazumphed me again, & my stuff had defauited to the dot matrix printer ----aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #90049 on: May 05, 2021, 02:40:57 am »
Archiving at post 84800. Getting close! :popcorn:

Of course, now that I'm watching, it doesn't get stuck. :horse:

Done!

Some fun archiving stats
Domains: 817
Files: 32593
Size: 9.5 GB
Times stuck: 6
Time: Too long, thanks to misbehaving sites: members.home.nl, gamestop.com, farnell.com, newark.com, element14.com
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:06:08 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, 1Ghz, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf