Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18052150 times)

wkb, Qw3rtzuiop, EE4all, nfmax and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89950 on: May 03, 2021, 09:40:58 pm »
Notifications to my gmail with a few minor hiccups have been working fine for the past 2 weeks or so.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89951 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:39 pm »
I'd wait it out. It's completely knackered still. Report it to the mods at least though. Also if you change any settings on eevblog forum it requires reconfirmation by email so you might end up shit creek without a paddle.

Customers should never have to move a mountain when the problem is at the other end!
Yep, you're right, thats how I got into this mess with regard to notifications, I locked myself out because of the not getting the confirmation email in order to confirm  :palm: I did message Dave directly asking him if he could pass my request to get myself unlocked, onto the moderators, but nothing ever came of that request. Luckily, I managed to find a way into the system to switch it back to gmail.com, I was having withdrawal symptoms without my daily fix of interactions on here  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89952 on: May 03, 2021, 09:45:52 pm »
Also Emacs hasn't shipped with OSX for a long time. You've got vi on there though  8)

And ed don't forget:

Code: [Select]
cerebus@shu:~/Desktop$ ed EdgeToPulse.v
1p
module EdgeToPulse (input edgeLine, input clk, output reg pulseLine);

Sick sick sick individual.

If ever the world collapses and all we're left with is line printers you'll be the king of humanity though  :-DD

Bwahahaha!

mnem
I'll make sure to be the bastard with all the working ribbons then.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89953 on: May 03, 2021, 09:47:04 pm »
Also Emacs hasn't shipped with OSX for a long time. You've got vi on there though  8)

And ed don't forget:

1p

If ever the world collapses and all we're left with is line printers you'll be the king of humanity though  :-DD

Bwahahaha!

mnem
Dot Matrix printers????
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #89954 on: May 03, 2021, 09:53:44 pm »

And ed don't forget:

1p

Bwahahaha!

mnem
Dot Matrix printers????

Ah, the screech of a DecWriter as it prints your program's listing.

And kids nowadays moan about fans whining.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Mortymore

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89956 on: May 03, 2021, 10:23:09 pm »
I'd wait it out. It's completely knackered still. Report it to the mods at least though. Also if you change any settings on eevblog forum it requires reconfirmation by email so you might end up shit creek without a paddle.

Customers should never have to move a mountain when the problem is at the other end!

Another point to poke people running their own mail servers on: if tomorrow, Microsoft blacklisted you, what's your exit plan?

Sue them and retire on the earnings.  :) Anyway, it's more likely to be the other way around - I recently had to block swathes of Azure address space (one of the packaged microservices bits) because spam is pouring out of it and Microsoft aren't on the case.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89957 on: May 03, 2021, 10:27:06 pm »

And ed don't forget:

1p

I regularly use ed. I had to learn it when I had more or less free supply of Ultrasparc 1 workstations -- they come up with a completely b0rkened terminal type if you boot them without graphical console, and to get it right, and be able to fix things before you've got networking OK (and can ssh to them from an xterm), you need ed. Or, as Saskia wrote, you can batch it with sed and awk, but please remember that the SunOS sed & awk are very old. The good ones are in /usr/xpg4/bin/.

The human memory is a strange place. I can't for my life remember what to shop for dinner unless I've noted it in my shopping app, but things like the above, they come to me like it was yesterday. When it's been more like 15 years..

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89958 on: May 03, 2021, 10:30:15 pm »
Another point to poke people running their own mail servers on: if tomorrow, Microsoft blacklisted you, what's your exit plan?

I'd mostly not care. I've got one account in that shite-hole, because work has sold its soul and NSA reads all our email, after GCHQ are done with it, so if need be, I can communicate in that bubble, and with the people on the outside following standards.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89959 on: May 03, 2021, 10:30:44 pm »

Sue them and retire on the earnings.  :) Anyway, it's more likely to be the other way around - I recently had to block swathes of Azure address space (one of the packaged microservices bits) because spam is pouring out of it and Microsoft aren't on the case.

Yeah that's why we use AWS  :-DD

Actually one of the egress SES IP addresses got blacklisted recently which gave us a couple of hours of headaches. Fortunately AWS were on it like a seagull on chips and got it sorted.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89960 on: May 03, 2021, 10:34:42 pm »

I'd mostly not care. I've got one account in that shite-hole, because work has sold its soul and NSA reads all our email, after GCHQ are done with it, so if need be, I can communicate in that bubble, and with the people on the outside following standards.

Email was never secure as such in any way, shape or form. I wouldn't use it for anything the NSA or GCHQ may care about. In fact in the finance sector it is 100% forbidden to use it as a primary comms channel for anything customer-centric. Thus they can waste all that money getting a court order to look at a million Jenkins spams a year and invitations to shitty conferences...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89961 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:38 pm »

And ed don't forget:

1p

Sick sick sick individual.   If ever the world collapses and all we're left with is line printers you'll be the king of humanity though  :-DD

Bwahahaha!

mnem
Dot Matrix printers????

Ah, the screech of a DecWriter as it prints your program's listing.   And kids nowadays moan about fans whining.

In answer to your question, @Specmaster, a proper line printer is to a common dot-matrix as Bigfoot is to your grand-dad's Power Wagon. They date back to the 50s and print the whole line at a time; each column is a printwheel which rotates into position and then the whole line is struck at once. Dot-matrix was developed more in the 60s & 70s. Of course, they are still around today in certain harsh environments and where multicopy/multipart printing is a necessity.

When I was a teenager I rescued a prehistoric Florida Digital commercial dot-matrix printer from beside a dumpster behind a Police Station... and I soon discovered why it came bolted into a huge MDF Box/Enclosure with 2" of eggcrate foam all around it except for the 1/4" Lucite cover.

This thing was a wide-carriage 9-wire bottom-feed commercial printer (this thing was that old; I guess they hadn't started calling them 9-pin or 24-pin printers yet), and rated at a mind-numbing 1200CPS; the printhead was a ginormous finned heat-sink as big as a dwagon's paw, and it was designed to be serviceable.

When I got the thing it wouldn't initialize; the blink code showed printhead fault. I took it apart and found every coil and the wires (a hardened bit of piano wire sintered to a metal slug inside each solenoid coil) of a modular design such that they could be individually repaired or replaced. One of the coil/slugs had gotten bound up and a bit rusted due to something sticky spilled inside; likely soda or sugared coffee from the smell. Dismantling the coil and cleaning everything made it work freely, and the manual even showed how to align the coils after service.

But hoo-doggy, when that thing ran... it made a racket like a fucking air ratchet going back & forth, and it ate fanfold paper like a black hole. You simply could not be in a room with the damned thing outside that enclosure, I tell you what; it would drive you batshit crazy.

*mnemories...*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:33:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89962 on: May 03, 2021, 11:43:23 pm »
IBM 1403 chain printer running with the cover open.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89963 on: May 03, 2021, 11:53:20 pm »

Oklay... so round 3 tonight. One of the packages delivered today was my replacement Miyota watch movements... this time just going to assemble the face & hands on the whole movement like a "normal" timepiece technician would do.

This should be much more relaxing than testicular torment with the psycho-bitch redhead PC...  :-DD

Installing the face was easy-peasy, once removed without damage. The "hands" were a bit more problematic, as they have to be synchronized pretty precisely. I got it tho. :phew:

The movement and the LED backlight assembly (very crude leaf switch & single semi-white/yellow LED requiring 2 cells for power) go in together; pop in the watch-stem and it starts running, simple as that. w00t!

Oooh... this watch has a really nice, heavy feel; all polished stainless with varnished wood inlays. In a word... Deluxe. ;) A bit too tight tho; I need to find some extra links or a dead one priced reasonable to rob them from.  ???

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:57:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89964 on: May 04, 2021, 12:10:30 am »

@med: I'll see your 1403, and raise you some jigglies.  >:D

On the same exact system, IIRC.

mnem
Also note Tek 2230 makes a cameo, but not lit up. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:12:45 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89965 on: May 04, 2021, 12:47:52 am »
Spent many hours typing up punch cards for test cases for prototype test cards using Motorola MECL 10K logic. Fed punch cards into an IBM 1130 Computer which would apply the tests to the card and results came out on a 1403 printer.

Had one brand new card that was a massive shift register but the engineer designed it so the wrong logic level fed back and turned it into a giant oscillator/transmitter instead.  Was running about 140MHz which took down half the computers in the room.    :palm: :-DD 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #89966 on: May 04, 2021, 12:57:00 am »
I've been working on the display counter board on it's own, so far I've confirmed the problem with the NIT stuck displaying a two as the 7475 having failed, that has now been changed, it does seem to count OK but only when the shorting link is added.

Think I need to find manual to progress this further, radiomuseum have the circuit diagram but it will take two months to download the set as I'm not a member and don't want to join.

Here are some teardown pictures as mine has some differences to the one on RM.

Nice! Teardown added to POI list. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89967 on: May 04, 2021, 12:58:17 am »
Thread archiving proceeded without a hitch while I was doing "real" work today. Just checked in on it and it's on post 51550. Moving right along.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89968 on: May 04, 2021, 01:04:17 am »

Oklay... so round 3 tonight. One of the packages delivered today was my replacement Miyota watch movements... this time just going to assemble the face & hands on the whole movement like a "normal" timepiece technician would do.

This should be much more relaxing than testicular torment with the psycho-bitch redhead PC...  :-DD

Installing the face was easy-peasy, once removed without damage. The "hands" were a bit more problematic, as they have to be synchronized pretty precisely. I got it tho. :phew:

The movement and the LED backlight assembly (very crude leaf switch & single semi-white/yellow LED requiring 2 cells for power) go in together; pop in the watch-stem and it starts running, simple as that. w00t!

Oooh... this watch has a really nice, heavy feel; all polished stainless with varnished wood inlays. In a word... Deluxe. ;) A bit too tight tho; I need to find some extra links or a dead one priced reasonable to rob them from.  ???

mnem
 :-/O

Wow, that's pretty cool. Haven't seen one of those before.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89969 on: May 04, 2021, 01:08:52 am »
Woah, this thread with all its requisite elements is 5.4 GB so far. So, maybe when it's all done, it'll be 8 GB. Of course, this includes images that are hosted outside eevblog, too. Only 1.6 GB (less than 30%) is from eevblog.com.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:17:02 am by bitseeker »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89970 on: May 04, 2021, 01:38:20 am »

Oh, I'm sure my little stash of silly gifs & pics has nothing to do widdat...  :-DD

mnem

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89971 on: May 04, 2021, 01:46:05 am »
 :-DD

That and all the pics of pork cooked every which way. Yum!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89972 on: May 04, 2021, 01:53:38 am »
   Oooh... this watch has a really nice, heavy feel; all polished stainless with varnished wood inlays. In a word... Deluxe. ;)
A bit too tight tho; I need to find some extra links or a dead one priced reasonable to rob them from.  ???

Wow, that's pretty cool. Haven't seen one of those before.

They were a "thing" right around the time I was back in school the 2nd time... of course, far too ridiculously expensive. I found this one in a Thrift excursion a couple months ago; felt it was worth spending $8 on a replacement quartz movement(s).

We'll see if links can be found; I'd really love to be able to wear it.

mnem
 :-DMM

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89973 on: May 04, 2021, 01:59:22 am »
And all my linked ImageShack stuff.  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89974 on: May 04, 2021, 02:34:21 am »

$40 worth of assorted Li-xx protection & BMS PCBs arrived in today's Post. For "projects" and just because everything that's fun needs juice.  :-DD

mnem
*juicy*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf