Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18053898 times)

EE4all, wkb, Vince, Robert763 and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89850 on: May 02, 2021, 10:58:51 pm »
I guess I missed this morning's excitement with broken and duplicate threads and messed up post counts. Did we lose anything or was a restore a success?  :-//

Yeah, I'm late to the party as well. Apparently, the forum was restored from last night's backup. Dave created a thread at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/news-forum-reverted-to-backup/

@bd139, is your TEA thread backup script still running? Coincidentally, I was thinking about it the other day.

Ah, just saw your post from yesterday:
Nice one  :-+

I really need to finish my archive scripts off. It's clear there is a risk that we lose everything.

So, bd, in what format are you storing the thread contents? Since I have domains for TEA, now, I can put up a read-only archive/mirror.

It's being scraped with selenium/python into a SQLite database. My Selenium-foo is shite so it's taking a lot longer than anticipated. This will pull ALL external images which are linked and archive them as well.

SMF's absolute shit garbage HTML is causing me some grief as I need to cope with about 2 million horrible things it does.

Intent is to render it out of the SQLite database again using Go/template as static html. It can be extended and regenerated then to do things like text search / tagging etc later rather than be a flat HTML archive.

Recent issues suggest we should probably just wget the whole thread though as that's got a shorter turnaround on it.

Edit: also I have to work around things like SMF throwing DB connection errors every two minutes  :palm:

It'd be nice to get a dump of the relevant tables but I get the feeling that wouldn't go down well if we asked  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:02:14 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #89851 on: May 02, 2021, 11:11:08 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to make that request and have something go wrong with the forum as a result. Just wget-ting the thread at a nice leisurely pace should be OK for a basic backup. I'll give it a shot.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89852 on: May 02, 2021, 11:14:21 pm »
Yeah that’s possible based on today  :-DD

I’m going to bed now but let us know how you get on with wget  :-+

Edit: looks like there’s a couple of scrapers out there already as well. As always I didn’t go and look first:

https://github.com/aayushagra/smf-scraper

https://github.com/PoLaKoSz/SMF-Scraper
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:16:47 pm by bd139 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89853 on: May 03, 2021, 03:23:23 am »
wget works OK, but isn't ideal for incremental use because SMF appends the current PHP session ID to some URLs, which then makes some common files look unique every time wget is executed.

But, for now, I grabbed the ten most recent pages, then started it on the full thread. In order not to hit the server too much, I have it wait a couple seconds between fetches. Unfortunately, wget doesn't have an option to wait only between fetches to the same domain, which would be faster since not all elements on a page are from eevblog. At least it supports modification timestamps to avoid re-downloading files that haven't changed.

Anyway, it's been chugging along for a couple of hours and will be done in another 16 or so hours (all pages of the thread with all their requisite elements).

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89854 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:43 am »
Ah... I can post again.

None of the actions which would modify the database were available for me this morning... until now - when I have to leave for work.

*sigh*

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #89855 on: May 03, 2021, 03:42:50 am »
Ah... I can post again.

None of the actions which would modify the database were available for me this morning... until now - when I have to leave for work.

*sigh*

I seem to have had a productivity gain today - until now  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89856 on: May 03, 2021, 04:12:33 am »
 :-DD

I was trying to be productive, but wget needs babysitting. At one point it got stuck waiting to connect to a site. So, I had to terminate it and set a 10-second connection timeout and only two retries (default is unlimited :o). Later, it got to a site that successfully connected, but nothing after that (like a tarpit). It sat for 15 minutes before timing out. So, I killed it again (30 minutes is too long!) and set the read timeout to 10 seconds, too, and added the offending domains to the exclude list.

Each time, I have to restart from the beginning in order for the PHP session ID to match up and to enable wget to rewrite all the links properly when it's done. Fortunately, it doesn't take long for it to catch up where it left off since it skips unchanged files (i.e., all the attachments).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89857 on: May 03, 2021, 04:14:10 am »
Yay, we're back; I'm going to bed.

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89858 on: May 03, 2021, 04:29:33 am »
Night! I should hit the hay, too. Hopefully, this'll finish archiving in the meantime. Keep your fingers and claws crossed.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89859 on: May 03, 2021, 04:36:06 am »
Claws, wings, toes and tail. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89860 on: May 03, 2021, 05:35:25 am »
The small Bulgin mains connectors.

My Solartron DVM has one of those. Horrible connector, truly bad. Unshielded quick-connects would be worse, by a little bit.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89861 on: May 03, 2021, 07:46:34 am »
For those who missed all the fun: When this showed up in the 'Show new replies to your posts' my first thought was that the forum finally choked on this thread.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89862 on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:14 am »
For those who missed all the fun: When this showed up in the 'Show new replies to your posts' my first thought was that the forum finally choked on this thread.

I was on very briefly Sunday morning and I saw that plus Dave's admission that he screwed up.  :o Decided at that point to log out and didn't get a chance to get back on until late Sunday and saw that things were at least somewhat back to normal.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #89863 on: May 03, 2021, 08:40:36 am »

I was on very briefly Sunday morning and I saw that plus Dave's admission that he screwed up.  :o Decided at that point to log out and didn't get a chance to get back on until late Sunday and saw that things were at least somewhat back to normal.  :phew:
Except for a ship load of missing posts !  :-BROKE
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #89864 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:17 am »

I've tired to use several of the other offerings, Plex etc. and found them wanting like you have. I settled on Kodi precisely because it isn't a pain in the backside and would deal with media I already had on servers and was trivial to hook up to my chosen off-air source.

Kodi did not attract me at first, because I was more looking for a server solution. I think I need to reevaluate that.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89865 on: May 03, 2021, 09:17:25 am »
I ran Kodi for a bit on those Lenovo M600 boxes. Alas it's too complicated and buggy so I rather prefer to just rip shit off and use a USB stick and the TV. I don't spend enough time in front of the rot box to justify it really :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #89866 on: May 03, 2021, 09:40:57 am »
I just realised I've got a slightly older IdeaCentre left over. Might do something about that. I really like the tuner Cerebus posted about.

Edit: This is all about being able to ship off the old TV, and not have a rootkit replace it. No modern TV with a DVB-T2 tuner in is free from the spyware that turns into abandonware and more or less bricks itself on a 4-year cycle. Currently looking into digital signage displays to get something unencumbered.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:43:13 am by mansaxel »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89867 on: May 03, 2021, 09:46:24 am »
I did like Kodi at the start, but once I found out how often I'd have to search for replacement channels, I gave it the old heave ho.

I have just ordered a refurbished Humax FVP 5000T from Humax Direct, comes with a full 12 month warranty and according to customer reviews, is indistinguishable from a new one and if true will be like my Nextbase 512GW dashcam, also refurbished but as new including the same warranty, "winner winner chicken dinner"

The Humax cost me £109, free delivery and was only a few more £ than they are selling for 2nd hand on eBay with no warranty, so I thought its a "no-brainer" and should keep SWMBO happy once the VM boxes get returned.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and recommendations, much appreciated  :-+ 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89868 on: May 03, 2021, 09:55:05 am »
Kodi comes with joy and leaves with a headache.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89869 on: May 03, 2021, 10:14:31 am »
Sounds like my ex wife.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Specmaster, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89870 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:48 am »
Sounds like my ex wife.

Have you checked her second name?  ??? ^-^
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89871 on: May 03, 2021, 11:21:56 am »
Sounds like my ex wife.

The headache and memories there of do eventually go away or perhaps I'm going feeble minded. Whatever it takes.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #89872 on: May 03, 2021, 11:28:13 am »
Get a Puppy/Cat or buy excessive old Test Gear - working for me and I don't currently own a Dog or a Cat :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89873 on: May 03, 2021, 11:28:27 am »
Sounds like my ex wife.

Sounds like every ex-wife.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89874 on: May 03, 2021, 11:47:08 am »
I really like the tuner Cerebus posted about.

It attracted me because for years I've used a couple of EyeTV tuners (USB connected). They didn't handle DVB-T2 modulation and weren't the most reliable thing in the world and so it was time to move on from them. I looked at PCIe capture cards and looked at the stack of now useless  old ISA and PCI (non-PCIe) cards for various things that I've got sitting around and then a friend pointed me to the HDHomeRun and I didn't look back. Given that twisted pair ethernet has outlasted about 4 PC bus standards it looked like a no brainer in obsolescence terms. Moreover, disparate and separate things can talk to it from different machines to get access to the airwaves which leaves flexibility on what software I use with at, and the protocol it uses to select and stream channels and multiplexes is documented well enough that I could write my own access layer with relatively little pain should I need to. I was sold. 

As long as you only need to access 4 different multiplexes simultaneously you can pull as many program streams off it as you like in theory. In practice you're limited by is the 100Mb ethernet on it to either around 10 simultaneous HD programme streams (~8Mb/s each) or around 20 SD programme streams (~4Mb/s each), or some intermediate mixture. There are apps for all the usual tablet and phone platforms that let you use it to simultaneously stream live TV as well as using it with some sort of  more technical central PVR solution like I do.

The HDHomeRun has been on the network now for a couple of years and has proved completely trouble free. It's had ongoing firmware updates on a comfortingly regular basis. Its coped with my relatively crappy antenna with no issues.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf